I haven't found confirmation that YS is actually making the FFR-31 Normal Sylph. Aside from HLJ's entry for it (which is at least 18 months old, mind you), I've found nothing on it.

If it never gets made, I might just have to scratchbuild a 1/72 model of it one of these days. I've got enough design art to make it possible :)

And on the subject of the 1/144 pre-paints, they're actually really good! I picked up several of them, and although they're kinda pricey, they're rather impressive. The sculpt, detailing, and paint job are all top-notch. The plastic is good quality too. None of that cheap, soft, vinyl crap here!

Just don't get suckered into buying both the 'S' version of the Mave and the normal 'flying type'. It's exactly the same as the normal version, except the missiles are painted blue (they're supposed to be the dummy missiles that it was equipped with in episode 2)

I haven't found confirmation that YS is actually making the FFR-31 Normal Sylph.  Aside from HLJ's entry for it (which is at least 18 months old, mind you), I've found nothing on it.

If it never gets made, I might just have to scratchbuild a 1/72 model of it one of these days.  I've got enough design art to make it possible :)

And on the subject of the 1/144 pre-paints, they're actually really good!  I picked up several of them, and although they're kinda pricey, they're rather impressive.  The sculpt, detailing, and paint job are all top-notch.  The plastic is good quality too.  None of that cheap, soft, vinyl crap here!

Just don't get suckered into buying both the 'S' version of the Mave and the normal 'flying type'.  It's exactly the same as the normal version, except the missiles are painted blue (they're supposed to be the dummy missiles that it was equipped with in episode 2)

313845[/snapback]

I saw a picture of the prototype somewhere here before, of it. Or maybe in one of WM Chengs build up threads....either way I did see a picture of it, although it was the only time. If you can make one, I'd be interested in one too. :)

Chris

I haven't found confirmation that YS is actually making the FFR-31 Normal Sylph.  Aside from HLJ's entry for it (which is at least 18 months old, mind you), I've found nothing on it.

If it never gets made, I might just have to scratchbuild a 1/72 model of it one of these days.  I've got enough design art to make it possible :)

And on the subject of the 1/144 pre-paints, they're actually really good!  I picked up several of them, and although they're kinda pricey, they're rather impressive.  The sculpt, detailing, and paint job are all top-notch.  The plastic is good quality too.  None of that cheap, soft, vinyl crap here!

Just don't get suckered into buying both the 'S' version of the Mave and the normal 'flying type'.  It's exactly the same as the normal version, except the missiles are painted blue (they're supposed to be the dummy missiles that it was equipped with in episode 2)

313845[/snapback]

Thanks for the info Valkyrie. Still deciding if I want to pick them up. Incidentally, where'd you order them from? I think I might wait a bit longer to see if the FFR-31 actually gets released.

I got em all from HLJ.

BTW, if anyone wants to buy my Mave "S" Flying type, I'll let go of it for $25 plus shipping. Still sealed, even

Collectability or not, I've got no use for two of the same toy :/

Oh, and it looks like the 1/144 Fand II is coming out soon! That's another one I'll definitely be picking up. And it looks like it has all the missiles and droptanks, which the 1/72 Platz kit lacked!

I was wondering what the difference was in those. I can see the difference between the regular Mave Yuki and the Ram Jet one but that "S" one had me confused!! I've been putting off getting these because I've been waiting for the Sylphid and the Fand 2 for about 2 years now because HLJ shipping is so expensive now I didn't want to do two separate orders!! I might have to break down and get the Mave and a FRX.

Chris

BTW, if anyone wants to buy my Mave "S" Flying type, I'll let go of it for $25 plus shipping.  Still sealed, even

Collectability or not, I've got no use for two of the same toy :/

Valkyrie - you've been PM'd.

I was hoping that maybe you'd found a stateside source for these. Alas, too much to hope for.

B))

I was wondering what the difference was in those. I can see the difference between the regular Mave Yuki and the Ram Jet one but that "S" one had me confused!! I've been putting off getting these because I've been waiting for the Sylphid and the Fand 2 for about 2 years now because HLJ shipping is so expensive now I didn't want to do two separate orders!! I might have to break down and get the Mave and a FRX.

Chris

314052[/snapback]

I'm not that sure either, but the Ramjet seems to have "Fastpacks" on top of the fuselage. Look carefully and you'll see it.

I got the normal flying version of the Mave....its great and all...but becareful of it when you get it. There are no...i repeat NO moving parts on this thing. I thought the wings looked jointed so i tried moving it...and the part where it was glued came off...then the fuel tank at the bottom....and the whole thing seems like a shoddy glue job. Just becareful with it. Its very fragile. The glue they used didn't

seem too strong either, so i had to glue it back together at parts. its basically like a ready-painted-glued model kit. Very nice details on it. But the gluing sucks.

Btw i am looking for Sylpheeds. There don't seem to be any normal versions around. I only see the clear versions.

• 3 weeks later...

IT'S OUT!!! EPISODE 5 IS FINALLY OUT!!!!

http://bt.greedland.net/torrents/2005/08/2...4501796.torrent

The DVD isn't out for about another week, but apparently it aired on japanese pay-per-view early, like the previous 4 episodes did.

Expect scrolling ads for models, DVDs, and such during the episode. Also, the DVD version is supposed to have about 40 minutes of extras, which I'm sure aren't in this version.

But I don't care about that now. All I care about is that 15 months of waiting will be over in about 2 hours from now :lol:

IT'S OUT!!!  EPISODE 5 IS FINALLY OUT!!!!

http://bt.greedland.net/torrents/2005/08/2...4501796.torrent

The DVD isn't out for about another week, but apparently it aired on japanese pay-per-view early, like the previous 4 episodes did.

Expect scrolling ads for models, DVDs, and such during the episode.  Also, the DVD version is supposed to have about 40 minutes of extras, which I'm sure aren't in this version. 

But I don't care about that now.  All I care about is that 15 months of waiting will be over in about 2 hours from now  :lol:

321662[/snapback]

Good news............now we just need it subbed. ;)

Hmm, not quite the dogfight misslefest I thought it would be. Definitely need this one subbed to get the big picture. The entire airforce with the aircarriers started to get exciting, but nothing much happened. Seeing the Supersylph's piloted by regular pilots was cool though. I do think it needed more action. Oh well :(

• 2 weeks later...

Cool!! Now if Yellow Submarine or someone would just release a model of the FFR-31 Sylphid. Has it shown up in any other episode besides episode 1? It's gotta be my favorite aircraft design of all time! Yellow Submarine has postponed it for almost 2 years now. :angry: . I guess that's a sign that it won't be comming out. :( . It did make it to prototype because I remember seeing it here in another thread a few years ago. I found the thread a few days ago but the link to the picture didn't work anymore.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure that by now, most of us have seen the last episode. Would anyone care to explain what the heck was going on, and what finally happened to this story?

----------------Just in case, SPOILER ALERT------------------------------------------

The only concept that was familiar to me was the aloof, reluctant, stereotypical Japanese anti-hero disappearing into the unknown; that seems to happen alot these days...

Edited by myk

• 4 weeks later...

I got it Monday and finally watched it today...

TOTAL disappointment! It's like the entire anime hit a big assed deadpoint in both the story, action, and animation quality. Only remotely neat thing was the usage of that new engine(aero-spike?). No extra's at all and the DTS doesn't count as an extra. Macross zero had across the board better animation(including superior 3D).

BTW, the DTS disc actually sounded better on my computer then the normal disc did, even when it didn't play in DTS.

It's a waste of money if you've spent more then 10 USD on this. Look for the cheap HK bootleg.

I got the 2nd US DVD set on the 24th, watched it 3 times already.

Point:I do remind myself this was taken from a novel series written in the mid 70's.

Point: Spacemen from Fairy. The society on Fairy is at least 30 years separated from Earth, even recent arrivals will enculturate to this alien society. Who's to judge their behavior and demeanor?

Point: Even though I don't remember the details, the original author was interviewed on the HK discs I had. He was dressed up like a color-blind cowboy, otherwise he seemed normal enough albeit a little arrogant but not displeased with the current work.

Point: Yukikaze, from my reading on the net, is one of those referencial novels in japanese hard-SF fandom. A must read, much like "Starship Troopers" in the US if you're going to be taken seriously in japanese sci-fi discussion.

Point: From my internet readings, Japanese fans of Yukikaze are much more upset with the re-design of the MAVE than any storyline issues. BTW, The original FRX-99 looked a lot like a single-tailed MiG 31.

Story's not over yet. I'm VERY interested to see what the story is going to tell us. OK, a lot of you are upset because Yukikaze isn't a "hero and his superweapon saves the earth from an implacable foe" form of schlock. I understand your vexation, but I don't sympathize.

The show is definately still fun, Fukei screwing with the deck crew by making it look like the Yukikaze was falling off was an unexpectedly funny moment, but this OVA should definately be longer to tell the story it's trying to tell. They're going to have to pack a lot into that last episode. I'm sure there are some who've already seen ep 5, does everything tie together in a satisfactory way?

I got the 2nd US DVD set on the 24th, watched it 3 times already.

Point:I do remind myself this was taken from a novel series written in the mid 70's.

Point: Spacemen from Fairy. The society on Fairy is at least 30 years separated from Earth, even recent arrivals will enculturate to this alien society. Who's to judge their behavior and demeanor?

Point: Even though I don't remember the details, the original author was interviewed on the HK discs I had. He was dressed up like a color-blind cowboy, otherwise he seemed normal enough albeit a little arrogant but not displeased with the current work.

Point: Yukikaze, from my reading on the net, is one of those referencial novels in japanese hard-SF fandom. A must read, much like "Starship Troopers" in the US if you're going to be taken seriously in japanese sci-fi discussion.

Point: From my internet readings, Japanese fans of Yukikaze are much more upset with the re-design of the MAVE than any storyline issues. BTW, The original FRX-99 looked a lot like a single-tailed MiG 31.

Story's not over yet. I'm VERY interested to see what the story is going to tell us. OK, a lot of you are upset because Yukikaze isn't a "hero and his superweapon saves the earth from an implacable foe" form of schlock. I understand your vexation, but I don't sympathize.

355017[/snapback]

Ok IF it were the mid 70's then the story would be mind-bendingly great(computers that think by themsleves!), but things in this story are alluding to other background things and if it's ending in 5 episodes then ALOT is being left out! Which really throws off the story pacing and many background issues aren't brought to light that would help bring that 'extra' meaning to the table. Basic character development is a poinent thing that's lacking and lacking bad. So instead of "hero with superweapon saves everyone" it's "Hero from Gundam's Wing Zero". One form of 'schlock' for another form. I'm getting an NGE feel from this anime....

But I agree with Keith on this.

The height of the disc was the attitude returned by the Rei & Jack to the carrier and her crew for the alienation they recieved. "We're 'Spacemen'?, huh. Well this is what we 'Spacemen' can do!" Even though it was petty TopGun stuff.

MY vexation with this is waiting for over a year for a The Matrix: Reloaded level of anime.

Here's a collection of covers of the many Yukikazes:

http://www2.gol.com/users/ikkie/shoji/art02.html

I rechecked, Yukikaze was an 80's novel. I regret to inform you all that my mind fills in it's own blanks; if I stumble while speaking Japanese I'll start speaking French!! Please stand clear while I'm thinking.

If you make the statement that a lot is being left out, can you make a case for having whatever you consider missing put in? An example would be Grimm's "fairy tales", which certainly left a lot of unanswered questions. How long has that been around? Nobody's moping around over Grimm's tales, however many modern authors rewrite it to suit their own ideas.

If you really want to "GET IT" on the part of NGE, study Buddist philosophy and sexual development (aside from the nude pics). Once you "get it" you'll find NGE's horrible and contrived.

I've seen all five "operations" of Yukikaze, however with subtitling that is so inaccurate and incomprehensible it might as well be in German; I haven't a clue as to what's going on. I'll end up waiting along with everything else for the official releases to conlude the story which, at this rate, means within the next couple of years.

As for 'Eva, people make the mistake of making a mountain out of a molehill with this series. 'Eva is not a vessel that tries to explore or travel the secrets of existence, philosophy, religion or sexuality. 'Eva is a simple story that can be summarily explained in one sentence: a boy who comes to the final realization that his happiness and destiny are his to determine and no one else's. If someone think the series is horrible, fine. However 'Eva is no more contrived than any other piece of fiction, and those contrivances stem from overanalyzing the story and trying to glean meaning from something that doesn't carry any...