I'm still in shock... Platz actually made the may release date! Just barely, but still!

Mine's prepping to ship too. Along with the 5 most recent issues of Macross Chronicle :lol:

I'm going to be having a very good day sometime next week!

Edit: Pics are up at Hobby Search!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10063747

And would you believe that it actually has a real cockpit?! The original Pla4U Wonderfest release did too, so it's no REAL surprise. But still, after the last 3 kits, it was almost like Platz just hates cockpits :p

The canopy is clear resin, and looks quite nice. And it looks like the pilot's seat is straight out of a Hasegawa VF-0, just like the Pla4U version...

Edited by Valkyrie

Got the shipping note from HLJ today. Good thing that the Euro is quite strong again.

The execution of the cockpit is great, I still had fears that Platz would fall back to their previous solution. Even the control sticks are there, but no HUD. With the VF-0 seat, I hope that a Hase pilot will fit in there. The decal sheet looks quite comprehensive.

I'm still a little bit mad that the 1/48 line was never released, but I don't want to think about what the kits had cost.

post-1187-1243856354_thumb.jpg

damn it!!!! I went and updated my credit card with paypal ( new expiration date) and now it won't let me use a credit card for this purchase!!!! WTF!!! I've given Hlj my cc info but for some reason they always had problems verifying my card in the past, that's why I used PP in the first place. Anyone else ever have either of these problems?

Chris

I'm still a little bit mad that the 1/48 line was never released, but I don't want to think about what the kits had cost.

post-1187-1243856354_thumb.jpg

It'll be significantly cheaper that's for sure. At least that's how it would seem to be when you compare the prices for the 1/72.

damn it!!!! I went and updated my credit card with paypal ( new expiration date) and now it won't let me use a credit card for this purchase!!!! WTF!!! I've given Hlj my cc info but for some reason they always had problems verifying my card in the past, that's why I used PP in the first place. Anyone else ever have either of these problems?

There's was a short period of time in the past when I used Paypal as the payment method at HLJ. I found out that there's always a delay in getting your order sent, as they have to send out the invoice to you and they have to wait to confirm the payment once it is sent. Aside from that, I didn't have any problem with using Paypal.

Edited by Highside

• 2 weeks later...
So how's the canopy? And does a 1/72 Hase pilot fit in the cockpit?

The canopy came out pretty good. It just needs some heat to make the fitting more precise. Some fine sanding and metal primer should make the cockpit detailing more visible.

As you can see from the picture below, you'll be able to fit a 1/72 Hasegawa pilot in the cockpit. However, there's no room for the legs, so you'll need to open up some space yourself.

post-2424-1244935648_thumb.jpg

post-2424-1244935664_thumb.jpg

Edited by Highside

Nice score, electric indigo. Is that one of the earthbound fleet fighters that gets wiped out by the JAM without much resistance?

I've only seen one of Bandai's video releases of episode 1 & 2(DVD went to sh*t) and am eager to buy the DVD set. Used to be "mehh.." over this series but now am hunting for the lineart books with all the featured designs.

Even though I think most people seem uninterested in the JAM ships, I'd love to have some detailed lineart for them. I wanted to build a kite last year in the shape of a Type-2, but couldnt get clear enough pics of it and my only DVD reference crapped out. I had been slow-scanning the frames from the opening dogfight where one gets shot to ribbons by vulcan fire.

Does anyone know which past issue of HJ or Dengeki contained cover stories and the best lineart? I vaguely remember browsing thru one years back and now kick myself for not grabbing it. I can find a good collection of old mags and kits here on Okinawa, but it takes time to look.

Does anyone know which past issue of HJ or Dengeki contained cover stories and the best lineart? I vaguely remember browsing thru one years back and now kick myself for not grabbing it. I can find a good collection of old mags and kits here on Okinawa, but it takes time to look.

I have a few design sheets of the Jam fighters. Scans of them are Here (page 3)

Thanks for the quick response, Valkyrie.

I'm at work now(duty) and its ~19:45. For security reasons, I cannot access 'photobucket', but I will try from my personal access later.

I'm 'jones'in' to get back to my model bench where I'm working on 1/144 HG-Gundam mods(hacking out the immobile 'box' torsos and scratch building flexible, articulated waists), but watching the nearby F-22 sqdrn flying out & over just about everyday makes me imagine them duking it out with JAM!

Especially their sound in the air; like the wheezy screech the Jurassic Pk. raptors roared!

Anton

Got my Sylphid today, man is the canopy fitting bad. But it's a beautiful fighter.

post-1187-1245959561_thumb.jpg

Comparison with one of my few real-life jets

post-1187-1245959573_thumb.jpgpost-1187-1245959585_thumb.jpg

WoW! that does look bad... for such an expensive kit to have that flaw, its pretty much inexcusable. I expect better from Platz.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... I have no idea how this slipped under my radar for over a month.

Viz is releasing the Yukikaze novels in english.

http://www.amazon.com/Yukikaze-Chohei-Kamb...0079&sr=8-2

No firm confirmation, and no mention of it from Viz themselves. But it looks like it's really happening.

And actually, a few months ago, Neil Nadelman was interviewed in the Right Stuf anime podcast, and he mentioned that he's doing his first novel translation, but he couldn't say what it was. But he did say that he translated the anime version of it also as a bit of a hint. And so I wondered if it was Yukikaze, although it was a longshot. But it looks like I was right...

Honestly, I'm a bit torn... as much as I'd love to be able to read it in english, the Yukikaze novels have been one of my major motivations for learning Japanese! And I've been at it for almost a year now.

Wow... I have no idea how this slipped under my radar for over a month.

Viz is releasing the Yukikaze novels in english.

http://www.amazon.com/Yukikaze-Chohei-Kamb...0079&sr=8-2

No firm confirmation, and no mention of it from Viz themselves. But it looks like it's really happening.

And actually, a few months ago, Neil Nadelman was interviewed in the Right Stuf anime podcast, and he mentioned that he's doing his first novel translation, but he couldn't say what it was. But he did say that he translated the anime version of it also as a bit of a hint. And so I wondered if it was Yukikaze, although it was a longshot. But it looks like I was right...

Honestly, I'm a bit torn... as much as I'd love to be able to read it in english, the Yukikaze novels have been one of my major motivations for learning Japanese! And I've been at it for almost a year now.

How many novels were there?

Got some things done on my Sylphid kit: The missile bay was outfitted with strips of styrene to hold the door plate in place, same for the front landing gear. I elongated the back of the pilot seat so it will fit a 1/72 Hasegawa figure, also the dashboard was raised at the back end to suit the configuration with the pilot in place.

post-1187-1247153415_thumb.jpgpost-1187-1247153483_thumb.jpgpost-1187-1247153495_thumb.jpg

Cool, I'm about to start mine too. Which version are you doing? the "camoed" version or the standard one? Keep the pictures comming

Chris

Hey start a build-up thread... I'd love to see more of the work! What about doing the missile bay open - opportunity for scratch building! Will the canopy still fit after making all the cockpit gak taller? It looks kinda squished already.

The Yukikaze books are being released in english, sweet, I will have to check that out, I wonder if the original artwork will be included as well, I always prefered those designs to those in the anime.

Little progress so far - I puttied the underside and redraw the missile bay doors. I have to correct some of the edges of the puttied area where the MoriMori crumbled off. To align the engines flush with the back of the fuselage I had to cut the alignment blocks a bit. A small gap remained which was filled slowly with Mr. Dissolved Putty.

post-1187-1247518110_thumb.jpgpost-1187-1247518122_thumb.jpg

Chris - I will paint it in the "normal" style - the crazy camo is a bit much even for me.

WMCheng - the pilot fits under the canopy just fine. I even managed to eliminate the gap with the help of a hairdyer and a small vice.

Oh and I got my F/A-27 today

post-1187-1247518130_thumb.jpg

Cool, I just started mine as well. My canopy had a gap too, it really was easy to fix, just some hot water and then moved it with my fingers till it fit correctly, once it fit I ran it under cold water and it fits perfectly now! :)

I think I'm going to go with the insane camo, :s

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Sylphid still early in the decaling process with no weathering. I went with the crazy camo, I like how it came out but I think overall colors are too dark. Oh well :wacko: Canopy is just resting in position and will be sealed after everything else is done.

Chris

post-265-1249572729_thumb.jpg

post-265-1249572744_thumb.jpg

post-265-1249572765_thumb.jpg

post-265-1249572778_thumb.jpg

post-265-1249572793_thumb.jpg

post-265-1249572811_thumb.jpg

post-265-1249572834_thumb.jpg