• 5 months later...

The 1/72 Fand II just arrived, and man its a nice casting, flashless and silky. Only disapointment in just super sylph Im gonna have to vac form a hollow canopy and grab some after market cockpit set like from a Viper im thinking, or maybe just print the needed part. Also having finished my F111, BP Defiant, and P40B. Im thinking im going to get working on my 1/72 super sylph again, and now that Ive got a resin printer, I can print her really nice crisp fan blades, and stores like AAM-5 and such.

This being said, my 1/144 Super Sylph turned out pretty nice back in the day.

WYfmjrl.jpeg

MC0J9fN.jpeg

JQuXil9.jpeg

But im not feeling the russian style powder blue I used for the belly tone on the small one, Im thinking a more RAF ww2 eggshell, like very subtly blue cream color, or maybe an RAF Seagray, subtly blue gray? Not sure yet

Edited by Dr_Breen

Video is Timestamped, I'm not really sure what the color on the underside of these B/C model Supersylphs is, in some frames, it looks Tealish or more Raf Sea blue-gray (I called eggshell blue earlier) and in other frames more tan or greenish. I should also note this matters because I think I wanna have my 1/72 Super be one of the other surviving SAF birds, Carmilla or Llanfabon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 8:46 AM, jammaker said:

That would be nice. I don’t think the company Flying dog exists any more :( 2 new novels would be great though. And the new plane models. Although my wallet hurts so bad this year already, I just forked over for a Sentinal Rook Bartley (mospeada) I might give them a miss. 
Nah!!! I’m kidding myself of course I’m going to get them. Just don’t tell the Missus. 
The 1/144 of the jam sylph Is awesome I built the paper model of the jam type 1 and scaled up the specs to make a 1/72 scale of it in sheet styrene. It’s going to be quite big. I’m going to put a little clear and Yellow plastic nose on the paper model to make it look authentic . I was really impressed that Platz included it. 
769DE874-ED5E-4A91-886C-0DF35ED2C3B5.jpeg.ac2c32eb5abcb667d12c6995e9f4f3fd.jpeg

Where did you find that type 1 cut out, I've been looking for JAM models apart from the sylph copy but obviously they don't exist officially.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:41 AM, Dr_Breen said:

The 1/72 Fand II just arrived, and man its a nice casting, flashless and silky. Only disapointment in just super sylph Im gonna have to vac form a hollow canopy and grab some after market cockpit set like from a Viper im thinking, or maybe just print the needed part. Also having finished my F111, BP Defiant, and P40B. Im thinking im going to get working on my 1/72 super sylph again, and now that Ive got a resin printer, I can print her really nice crisp fan blades, and stores like AAM-5 and such.

This being said, my 1/144 Super Sylph turned out pretty nice back in the day.

WYfmjrl.jpeg

MC0J9fN.jpeg

JQuXil9.jpeg

But im not feeling the russian style powder blue I used for the belly tone on the small one, Im thinking a more RAF ww2 eggshell, like very subtly blue cream color, or maybe an RAF Seagray, subtly blue gray? Not sure yet

How old is that kit? I've literally just built the same kit a couple days ago but mines from 2019 and didn't have the 754 decals. Also that build is of excellent quality.

• 2 months later...

For a 20 year old show, Yukikaze was a relatively recent discovery for me just about a handful or so years ago. In the current age of streaming, it must have been pretty excruciating waiting 3 years for only total of 5 OVA episodes back then lol.. But the same can be said for Macross Zero anyway; the wait between episodes was great chance to slow & freeze frame current episodes to saviour the cool scenes.

Not long after watching, I had opportunity to procure Alter’s Mave & Super Sylph quite a few years ago. However, they went straight to deep storage then and only resurfaced recently. I took some time to play with the Super Sylph:

The details on this model are just phenomenal. I have no experience in modelling, or coming up close to anyone’s else customs of anything, so my impressions are heavily based on what I see here alone, relative to average toys in my collection.

SylphCNRM2-b2nt.jpg.51a61522b4fb8ec777f97200ef412efc.jpg

There’s just so much going on, surfaces have plenty of compound curves meeting straight lines yet it all comes together so well as a whole. Every part appears to be sharply molded with good defined lines, and ooh, those delicious landing gears!

SylphRearQuarterNRM2-b2nt.jpg.b08f9a44cb04a2ad2e3b85567989f983.jpg

For something pretty small at 1/100, there are fair bit of details with the decal markings, panel lining, nicely painted intake fans & booster noozles. I now wish Macross toys at this scale have this level of detail, though that may not be a fair comparison.

SylphRearANRM2-b2nt.JPG.c66dfcfb6f5f9749b99f5782cab18a8a.JPG

I couldn’t recall that retractable single long fin on its belly in the anime, so when I see it here it just brings to mind Macross Frontier’s RVF-171. I wonder if there are any real-life jets with such retractable antenna fin on their bellies?

SylphBellyDeditNRM2-b2nt.jpg.050d4af7d7b2ec144bf575ff396ff1b1.jpg

While watching the anime then, the double bubble canopy design first came across as somewhat weird. I remember thinking they looked like a bad copy-paste meme of jet fighter canopies. But perceptions change, and now I quite love it!

SylphClimbDeditNRM2-b2nt.JPG.dbf10c276dbd62107adea0e18b22b024.JPG

Here we see pilots Rei & Richard nicely ensconced within the cockpits. The wing design really do remind me of the YF-21 / VF-22 valkyries lol..

SylphFlightBeditNRM2-b2nt.JPG.48ddf30fb2a02c1c5edf6dba275c6d3d.JPG

Although the double canopies are where my eyes are always drawn to, to me the single key distinctive feature that makes the Super Sylph silhouette so sexy is that prominent swan-neck kink behind the canopies. :wub:

SylphSideNRM2-b2nt.JPG.041ed04846934582d7f5ea74f0d6069e.JPG

Sylph Belly B edit NRM2-b2 r2 nt.jpg

The outlines of the Super Sylph can make it look pretty different depending on the view, so having this model in hand really made me appreciate its design much more than when I first laid eyes on it on-screen. But perhaps it also was the Mave that overshadowed it in many ways.

Edited by MKT
Fixed some fonts

5 hours ago, MKT said:

The details on this model are just phenomenal. I have no experience in modelling, or handling anyone’s else customs of anything, so my impressions are heavily based on what I see here alone, relative to toy standards in my collection...

For something pretty small at 1/100, there are fair bit of details with the decal markings, panel lining, nicely painted intake fans & booster noozles. I now wish Macross toys at this scale have this level of detail, though that may not be a fair comparison.

Oh yeah, the detail on these is incredible. Tamp so small you practically need a magnifying glass to make them out.

5 hours ago, MKT said:

While watching the anime then, the double bubble canopy design first came across as somewhat weird. I remember thinking they looked like a bad copy-paste meme of jet fighter canopies.

Oh, you really want weird double canopies? Check out the trainer versions of the Mig-25.

8 hours ago, MKT said:

For a 20 year old show, Yukikaze was a relatively recent discovery for me just about a handful or so years ago. In the current age of streaming, it must have been pretty excruciating waiting 3 years for only total of 5 OVA episodes back then lol.. But the same can be said for Macross Zero anyway; the wait between episodes was great chance to slow & freeze frame current episodes to saviour the cool scenes.

Not long after watching, I had opportunity to procure Alter’s Mave & Super Sylph quite a few years ago. However, they went straight to deep storage then and only resurfaced recently. I took some time to play with the Super Sylph:

The details on this model are just phenomenal. I have no experience in modelling, or handling anyone’s else customs of anything, so my impressions are heavily based on what I see here alone, relative to toy standards in my collection.

SylphCNRM2-b2nt.jpg.51a61522b4fb8ec777f97200ef412efc.jpg

There’s just so much going on, surfaces have plenty of compound curves meeting straight lines yet it all comes together so well as a whole. Every part appears to be sharply molded with good defined lines, and ooh, those delicious landing gears!

SylphRearQuarterNRM2-b2nt.jpg.b08f9a44cb04a2ad2e3b85567989f983.jpg

SylphRearANRM2-b2nt.JPG.c66dfcfb6f5f9749b99f5782cab18a8a.JPG

I couldn’t recall that retractable single long fin on its belly in the anime, so when I see it here it just brings to mind Macross Frontier’s RVF-171. I wonder if there are any real-life jets with such retractable antenna fin on their bellies?

SylphBellyDeditNRM2-b2nt.jpg.050d4af7d7b2ec144bf575ff396ff1b1.jpg

While watching the anime then, the double bubble canopy design first came across as somewhat weird. I remember thinking they looked like a bad copy-paste meme of jet fighter canopies. But perceptions change, and now I quite love it!

SylphClimbDeditNRM2-b2nt.JPG.dbf10c276dbd62107adea0e18b22b024.JPG

Here we see pilots Rei & Richard nicely ensconced within the cockpits. The wing design really do remind me of the YF-21 / VF-22 valkyries lol..

SylphFlightBeditNRM2-b2nt.JPG.48ddf30fb2a02c1c5edf6dba275c6d3d.JPG

Although the double canopies are where my eyes are always drawn to, to me the single key distinctive feature that makes the Super Sylph silhouette so sexy is that prominent swan-neck kink behind the canopies. :wub:

SylphSideNRM2-b2nt.JPG.041ed04846934582d7f5ea74f0d6069e.JPG

Sylph Belly B edit NRM2-b2 r2 nt.jpg

The outlines of the Super Sylph can make it look pretty different depending on the view, so having this model in hand really made me appreciate its design much more than when I first laid eyes on it on-screen. But perhaps it also was the Mave that overshadowed it in many ways.

Love the aircraft from this show! Those are great photos. I keep meaning to pull out my 1/72 versions and build them..

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I always wished they had made more of the designs from the show, either the regular Sylph, or Fand 1 and 2.  They're wild designs.

Absolutely. The Fand II is one of my all-time favorite fictional aircraft, largely due just to its absurdity. The Fand I and Sylphid scale things back a bit, which makes for a different, but still cool design. I'll even take the F/A-27C, bulbous, tiny-winged thing though it is.

Still trying to find the Flip Knight somewhere...

17 hours ago, snakerbot said:

Oh yeah, the detail on these is incredible. Tamp so small you practically need a magnifying glass to make them out.

The tiny wordings aren't legible to my old eyes, except for the pilots' names which I can just about read. It's extraordinary how Alter is able to make the tampos so sharp, and I don't doubt you for a second they would be just about be readable with magnifiers.

17 hours ago, snakerbot said:

Oh, you really want weird double canopies? Check out the trainer versions of the Mig-25.

I looked it up. It is actually pretty cool how the 2nd cockpit on the Mig-25 look so well integrated into the nose haha. At same time, I just remembered the SR-71 trainer also has a second canopy too, but this one isn't so well grafted.

14 hours ago, Bolt said:

Love the aircraft from this show! Those are great photos. I keep meaning to pull out my 1/72 versions and build them..

Thanks.. I've been rewatching some clips while taking above pics, and have newfound appreciation for all the other jets as well. I didn't really mind that Alter didn't make these bigger in say, 1/72 scale, because the details are so good that they can be appreciated by blowing it up on-screen & holds up quite well.

1/72 Platz Mave Yukikaze (Jam Sense Jammer) with ordinance for late June/July!  Same as the previous updated (Feb 2023) Mave that included missiles but also includes fluorescent decals! https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10912815

10912815b2.jpg.1c97623e75b9d53d4632f1415fecf148.jpg

Not new but, the Super Sylph update also seemed to fly under my radar last month. https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10918717
10918717b.jpg.024ffcd04fb2188e4e8a32a87d4bb50d.jpg

Also this 3d model!
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJZk84
meng-leong-ffr-41mr-mave-185.jpg.3c615ee5dff093412ccf69b21d286ef2.jpg

Edited by Rock

@MKT What camera did you use to take those photos? They're extremely vibrant and show the details very well.

@Rock Those fluorescent decals look like they would be a struggle to apply properly without damaging or misplacing them. Also, hopefully some day platz will make 1/72 and 1/144 models of the jam aircraft themselves.

10 hours ago, foundshaian said:

@MKT What camera did you use to take those photos? They're extremely vibrant and show the details very well.

I use an Iphone SE, then run the pics mainly through multitude of global filters on the Snapseed app. The stand though has been individually edited in Photoshop, I desaturated it because I can't stand the purple. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well it finally came yesterday in the post. the 1/72 scale Platz  FFR-41MR Mave Yukikaze.

I have to admit that I cancelled this order from HLJ but had second thoughts and reordered it again and I'm so glad that I did. I looked at the Pics of the item over at hobby search as they have the great habit of photographing everything, and although the model in which the Jam decals were placed was the original Mave, there was a little machine translation that said new tooling for the exhaust had been done. So I had a glimmer of hope that this was a 1/72 Mave with super phoenix mark 11 engines with the ram jet intakes.

And my hunch paid off. Yea!!!! So at last a big Mave.

Everything was fantastic in it's manufacture except for the cockpit it's a bit wonky inside but I'll be putting a scratchbuild one in anyway.

Here are some pics hope you all managed to pick one up. :)

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

I hadn't even opened mine to see of they updated the casting.

I'm not use of I'd consider the canopy changes an inprovement or not. Why it is still a solid chunck of resin I'll never know given they did their 1/144 kits right.

20230624_131828.jpg

20230624_131840.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

That's a really impressive build, Indigo!

I've been out of the loop for a while, and I was really surprised to see that Platz is producing Yukikaze kits again.  They've even got a Mave with its full loadout from episode 5 due out this month!  I've got one preordered at HLJ.  Though I do also wish they would have given us a better cockpit by now.

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-supersylph-yukikaze-ffr-41mr-maeve-yukikaze-final-sortie-form-plzx-17