M Zero: Octo

Xigfrid

Also receive this little head today. 

They have been test mostly in the new black HP WSF and the antennas are in Grey HP WSF from Shapeways. I have been very impressed by the finishing of both polished (black) and the untouched (grey) materials, but the print accuracy is somewhat weird compared the the traditional WSF, resulting in more cut and sanding to make all the parts fit together. 

If you wonder when the rest of the Octo will be ready? Well it is in progress and depending on how much anime magic needs to be resolved, it can take some time ;)

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

Edited by Xigfrid

amazing as usual Xigfrid!

3 hours ago, wmkjr said:

How do you like the HP material? Easier to sand? More durabe than FUD? What is it cost wise?

I really like it so far, I just hope that the precision faults were just a bug for early beta tests. The material feels and acts just like WSF, not that easy to sand so but extremely durable and playable like plastic :) Because you need less sanding, the material really holds well small details. The resolution is 10x less than FUD, I would say that HP Wsf keeps 0.2mm details perfectly visible, where classic WSF would be around 0.5mm. Cost for the moment is the same as WSF+1$. 

Thank you @slide, and yes this is the one @505thAirborne

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

You are a modeling genius Xigfrid!! :D 

I can't wait to see this one completed! (Promise I'll be patient). LOL

I really like the Octo's head and torso. I am almost done with the torso too. But the rest of the body and transformation is a nightmare to imagine and model. Taking it as a 3D challenge helps me going on this one... I am really tempted to make a bust only of the octo

a picture to grasp the scale 

IMG_1857.thumb.JPG.dc64f97da884af73bd938780a5a4ede9.JPG

Edited by Xigfrid

Lacking inspiration for modeling so I have reader a few reviews and stopped at the Light Metallic Blue TS-54 as a paint base according to this one.

IMG_1939.JPG.21500516bddba1832394821d4d764cc1.JPG

also I have been playing with my child and phosphorescent painting and called it the "Tiger shark camo theme" 

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

20 hours ago, Tage said:

Hah nice! I've been thinking about putting some glow in the dark paint underneath some clear parts of models to help them glow. 

That's probably a good idea if applied as a thin mist with an airbrush, it can be evenly applied and semi transparent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If like me you love the Cheyenne design, you can't ignore the Okto which is far superior in term of maneuverability and fire power:

1) Okto vs Cheyenne debarking on the beach, easy win.

2) Okto vs VF-0D in water, shin has to flee out of the water to escape. 

3) Okto vs VF-0S in the forest, Roy had to self-destruct his call to get out of the situation. 

4) Nora pilots one to find Shin and Sarah in the forest. 

IMG_0862.PNG.5484753e4a631a58b681921d9eaeaeb2.PNG

IMG_0831.PNG.026d8d9692de0aa59ad12fbfa4f833d2.PNG

IMG_1948.PNG.7770a10ba99b7ff57c41b0163fa47b42.PNG

IMG_0851.PNG.b08c17815696d5428c868e04f71ca39e.PNG

2 hours ago, aaajin said:

impressive, as usual! I forgot did you had a chance to work on a cheyenne destroid? or was it just the worker-bot cheyenne?...

I have been thinking of the Cheyenne recently but I was pretty sure that Bandai and Arcadia could both release one because:

1) Bandai has released recently a lot of the destroids HMR and since the Cheyenne is featured in Delta episodes, it could be made in DX scale too

2) Arcadia is focusing on Macross Zero, and they should easily make one

I don't know what to think of this though ...

About a 3D printed Cheyenne, I initially made the Workroid, I had in mind to provide upgrade parts to swap the arms / legs / head and transform the Workroid into a Cheyenne. But since making these upgrades means to to modify most of the model, I could make an entirely new model, keeping the articulations (which is a big deal!) but making a beefier Cheyenne, more like the line art than how they appear in Frontier and Delta.

cheyenne-lineart.gif

On 10/19/2017 at 2:40 AM, Xigfrid said:

I have been thinking of the Cheyenne recently but I was pretty sure that Bandai and Arcadia could both release one because:

1) Bandai has released recently a lot of the destroids HMR and since the Cheyenne is featured in Delta episodes, it could be made in DX scale too

2) Arcadia is focusing on Macross Zero, and they should easily make one

I don't know what to think of this though ...

About a 3D printed Cheyenne, I initially made the Workroid, I had in mind to provide upgrade parts to swap the arms / legs / head and transform the Workroid into a Cheyenne. But since making these upgrades means to to modify most of the model, I could make an entirely new model, keeping the articulations (which is a big deal!) but making a beefier Cheyenne, more like the line art than how they appear in Frontier and Delta.

cheyenne-lineart.gif

Mmmm, beefy Cheyenne...

• 2 weeks later...