Artists or designers you follow on Twitter or Instagram?

hachi

I've been perusing Tenjin Hidetaka's Instagram account, I like the cats to know if you guys have also been following other similar artists/mechanical designers and who are you following? I never cared about artists/designers in anime etc before but now seems like a good time-waster idea to stalk get updates on what they're up to.

Twitter

Ben Mauro - Concept Designer and Art Director lately worked on the Valerian movie.

Bill Sienkiewicz - worked mainly with DC and Marvel

Chris Samnee - I see mostly Marvel stuff, not really much art but has a Patreon for his doodles

Demizu Posuka - Posuka Demizu (出水 ぽすか, Demizu Posuka), is a Japanese manga artist known for doing art for Kirugumi and Yakusoku no Neverland.

Feng Zhu - Veteran designer who has his own school in Singapore.

Greg Capullo - Posts his pencil sketches, best known for Quasar (1991–1992), X-Force (1992–1993), Angela (1994), Spawn (1993–2000, 2003–2004) and Batman (2011–2016).

IZMOJUKI / Junji Okubo - artist/mechanical designer. Author of Industrial Divinities.

Jason Fabok - Comic book artist working for DC Comics on Justice League.

Jim Lee - started in 1987 as an artist for Marvel Comics, illustrating titles such as Alpha Flight and The Punisher War Journal, before gaining popularity on The Uncanny X-Men.

Lee Weeks - known for his Daredevil works (accdg to Wikipedia)

Mateusz Urbanowicz - Polish artist living in Japan, lately worked on backgrounds for the movie Your Name

Peter Krause - worked on Daredevil but there's lots of non-art posts (politics etc)

Sean Gordon Murphy - Batman artist and writer

sparth/Nicolas Bouvier - Halo Art Director, Microsoft-343. Author of the Structura art books.

Tenjin Hidetaka - If you're in a Macross forum you should know this guy by now. Haha

Thomas Romain - French mecha designer who works at Satelight

Walter Simonson - Thor art galore!

Yannick Paquette - X-men, Wolverine, Batman, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman Earth one and lots more

Instagram

Craig Drake - draws pop characters, has several Motoko Kusanagi art and other nerdy goodness

J Scott Campbell - draws for Marvel/Disney

Stanley Lau - draws pop characters, with some personal stuff mixed in

Blog/Website

萌 え お ぼ  - I don't know how that name is read, and the blog is NSFW. Features Misa x Hikaru ;)

Barry Windsor-Smith - drew for Marvel etc. I don't think he's that active in comics anymore

Edited by hachi
Add more links

21 hours ago, hachi said:

I've been perusing Tenjin Hidetaka's Instagram account, I like the cats to know if you guys have also been following other similar artists/mechanical designers and who are you following? I never cared about artists/designers in anime etc before but now seems like a good time-waster idea to stalk get updates on what they're up to.

Apart from tenjin hidetaka my other follows are artists from my youth like Walter Simonson and Bill Sienkiewicz

So no, not that much on the manga side, more on the olde comics side.

Edited by seti88

Didn't know that Tenjin had Instagram to be honest.

I have two accounts, one for friends/family and to follow photographers that I like (either by name or that I stumble across) and the other is my 'toy' account for all of my collectibles and true nerdery.

-b.

On 21/06/2017 at 7:06 PM, seti88 said:

Apart from tenjin hidetaka my other follows are artists from my youth like Walter Simonson and Bill Sienkiewicz

So no, not that much on the manga side, more on the olde comics side.

I like Walter Simonson's Twitter. Thor overload~ :D

18 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Didn't know that Tenjin had Instagram to be honest.

I have two accounts, one for friends/family and to follow photographers that I like (either by name or that I stumble across) and the other is my 'toy' account for all of my collectibles and true nerdery.

-b.

Is that allowed to have 2 accounts or are you using different email addresses for each? Looks like a good filtering option.

So I read this article about Thomas Romain, a French guy who got hired into Satelight. He has a Twitter account, so far I like his time-lapse of videos of making illustrations of his sons' creations. Those would make a good art book in the future if they get to a 100 or more designs.

http://kotaku.com/an-insider-s-look-at-working-in-the-anime-business-1796312543

https://twitter.com/thomasintokyo

I don't really follow anyone since I don't have those accounts. But I check a few artist Instagrams monthly or so.

Stanley "Artgerm" Lau - https://www.instagram.com/artgerm/

He draws pinups and comic covers of popular game, anime, comic, and other pop culture characters. Recently he drew a Robotech cover.

Also, he did one of Jun from Gatchaman

Gatchaman_Artgerm.thumb.jpg.473c250749be04e74729d16e0b709e0e.jpg

And many others too numerous to list.

Also Craig Drake - https://www.instagram.com/craigdrakeart/

Another artist who draws pinups. He releases them at galleries as large movie sized posters though. He seems to have a bunch of anime illustrations as well.

Edited by JetJockey

6 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I don't really follow anyone since I don't have those accounts. But I check a few artist Instagrams monthly or so.

Stanley "Artgerm" Lau - https://www.instagram.com/artgerm/

He draws pinups and comic covers of popular game, anime, comic, and other pop culture characters. Recently he drew a Robotech cover.

Also, he did one of Jun from Gatchaman

Gatchaman_Artgerm.thumb.jpg.473c250749be04e74729d16e0b709e0e.jpg

And many others too numerous to list.

Also Craig Drake - https://www.instagram.com/craigdrakeart/

Another artist who draws pinups. He releases them at galleries as large movie sized posters though. He seems to have a bunch of anime illustrations as wel

I was happy to see Minmei but unfortunately Robotech brrr...haha.

I like Craig Drake's instagram must be worth it to follow for all that Motoko Kusanagi art :wub:

Craig Drake's first Motoko was so so but his recent ones are better. I think that Aeon Flux is probably his best cartoon or anime illustration yet. But he has a bunch more from other series that I haven't seen yet like this Princess Mononoke.

4 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Craig Drake's first Motoko was so so but his recent ones are better. I think that Aeon Flux is probably his best cartoon or anime illustration yet. But he has a bunch more from other series that I haven't seen yet like this Princess Mononoke.

Does he not get into trouble with copyright issues if he's selling those prints?

10 hours ago, hachi said:

Does he not get into trouble with copyright issues if he's selling those prints?

I don't think Craig Drake does unlicensed prints. But I know some artists and galleries produce prints without getting a license. That Mondo Tees Ghost in the Shell print I picked up some years ago is licensed and it came from a screening. But there were a few from other artists and group commissions that aren't. I recall on the Neogaf forum some people were talking about commissioning an artist for Ghost in the Shell that was going to be unlicensed. But the artist or person contacting him said he wouldn't do it because he didn't want to damage his reputation or something like that. Turns out he was one of the concept artists on the recent movie.

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

#barrywindsorsmith is what i go thru since i dont thk he has a twitter acct.

I found his website, but damn, his bio needed 39 clicks of the Next button to finish. T_T I didn't read all I just wanted to know how many pages he made haha

But I may have come across his art on Weapon X many years ago. I remember reading something (an issue perhaps?) but I didn't get to finish it as I never got into the habit of collecting Marvel comics.

Edited by hachi
added a phrase

On 6/22/2017 at 8:52 AM, hachi said:

Is that allowed to have 2 accounts or are you using different email addresses for each? Looks like a good filtering option.

Hey, sorry for the very late reply.

It's allowed, I know you can link at least two Instagram accounts or user names and just toggle between the two. It's pretty easy to set up and switch between the two and completely okay within the rules.

-b.

15 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Hey, sorry for the very late reply.

It's allowed, I know you can link at least two Instagram accounts or user names and just toggle between the two. It's pretty easy to set up and switch between the two and completely okay within the rules.

-b.

Oh that's cool. I still haven't gotten a Twitter or Instagram account, though I'm leaning towards Twitter.

^No Twitter for me, I'm very afraid that I wouldn't have anything witty or clever enough to share with the masses. lol

Instagram beats all social media (besides this forum) because generally speaking I don't have much to say to people that I don't know personally and Facebook I only use for Messenger. Just let me look at the very nice pics, hit a like button, and move on. :lol:

-b.

I use FB for all personal stuff, but I have a Twitter for following public figures and "celebrities".  I follow current comic books, so among the artists I follow:

Sean Gordon Murphy

Greg Capullo

Chris Samnee

Yanick Paquette

Jason Fabok

Peter Krause

Lee Weeks

Jim Lee

On 7/4/2017 at 1:13 AM, coronadlux said:

I've picked up Stanley's 2nd art book a while back.

I also follow Scott Campbell and have a few of his variant comic covers.

https://www.instagram.com/jscottcampbellart/

All J Scott Campbell does now is covers which is sad because he did good comic interiors back in the day. I did get his recent Timelines or something book but only because it was on discount. I think he let all his older fans down when he didn't finish his last creator comic with those holo characters. I think it was called Wildsiders. And also he never finished Spider-Man. We never even got one issue of that. Just a bunch of teases.

On 06/07/2017 at 3:18 AM, SuperSenpai said:

I use FB for all personal stuff, but I have a Twitter for following public figures and "celebrities".  I follow current comic books, so among the artists I follow:

Sean Gordon Murphy

Greg Capullo

Chris Samnee

Yanick Paquette

Jason Fabok

Peter Krause

Lee Weeks

Jim Lee

That was quite a list I had to go to Wikipedia for some of them. The only one I recognized there was Jim Lee.

Added these guys:

Ben Mauro - first saw his work in the Nuthin' but Mech books. His work stood out because I could tell they were inspired by Ghost in the Shell. From his site he seems to have worked on Valerian the movie, and his twitter is currently full of Valerian-related tweets.

Mateusz Urbanowicz - worked on backgrounds for Your Name. But what I like are his sketching videos. He posts the links on Twitter, though he also has a blog on tumblr.

sparth/Nicolas Bouvier - Halo Art Director, Author of the Structura art books. Someday I hope to buy his books when I have the extra $$$ and the space for them. If HMR didn't exist I probably would have had them by now :D

I added IZMOJUKI / Junji Okubo. He is a Japanese artist/mechanical designer and author of Industrial Divinities. It is timely as he is running a campaign for Industrial Divinities 2017. Unfortunately Japan only, but I hope there's something for international buyers next year.

I also now have my own twitter account, and I am following IZMOJUKI, sparth, Thomas Romain, Mateusz Urbanowicz, and Ben Mauro. Only these guys for now as there's already a lot of tweets and retweets.

Added these guys that I am now following:

Demizu Posuka - I haven't read Kirugumi and Yakusoku no Neverland, but I like what I'm seeing from his posted art. I had also considered getting his artbook but it hasn't really found its way into my official list of want-to-have artbooks. Maybe one day...

Feng Zhu - Veteran designer who has his own school in Singapore. Quite expensive. I was actually in the process of going through his Youtube tutorials this month but I got sidetracked and haven't finished. Following him now most especially for the tweets on new videos.

• 2 months later...

So I'm also following now Tenjin HIdetaka's twitter: https://twitter.com/TENJIN_hidetaka

I was hesitant at first because he put in voice actor--that was new to me, what were his roles?? It might not be him! Anyway the cat pics were enough authentication. I can't read most of the kanji but the pics are what I'm mostly after.

• 3 weeks later...

I follow a couple artists on twitter.

https://twitter.com/shoboyuski/media

(shoboyuski does a lot of cool reimaginings of Space Battleship Yamato designs, as well as original concepts)

https://twitter.com/akimoto_kouzi/media

(akimoto_kouzi most recently designed the Flute takedown rifle for Kino no Tabi 2017)

https://twitter.com/peter6409

(peter6409 does a lot of aircraft concepts)

• 3 months later...

OK, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread. It looks like the list is too long now, won't be updating it any more--too lazy haha

So these are the people I've been following lately:

James Gurney - He's an painter. I've bought 2 of his books--Color and Light, and Imaginative Realism. Though I haven't really done anything with what I've read lol
https://twitter.com/GurneyJourney

東亜重工 nivin - This is Tsutomu Nihei's twitter. I love the Blame! manga, and the first season of Knights of Sidonia. Not really sure if I'll follow him long-term, I'm not too amazed at the art style from his latest work Aposimz.  I'm just trying to get news if they do a 1000Toys Cibo or Sanakan :lol:
https://twitter.com/tsutomu_nihei

RJ / lousysharkbutt - I follow this artist mainly for the Star Wars strips she does, though it only usually comes alive when a Star Wars movie is out. Solo will soon be in theaters so hopefully there'll be more strips to come. (But then I'll have to see that movie to get the jokes lol) Edit: I forgot also does Marvel
https://twitter.com/racheljpierce

Ian McQue - He is a concept artist/iilustrator. I think I got to see his work first on the Nuthin' But Mech artbooks.
https://twitter.com/ianmcque

河夏優希 - I don't how that kanji reads, but this one usually posts Macross Frontier art. Which is what I follow him/her for.
https://twitter.com/sl_Alisa

That's it for the latest. I don't follow a lot because I don't want my feed to get clogged with non-art/non-Macross stuff. Also, I posted some reviews last year on the artbooks I got. If you are curious I have a blog but I think updates are better aggregated via twitter--my handle is @mechaspiritia. I haven't posted lately because I'm too lazy to write the actual 'review', but hopefully I'll get over my laziness soon.

Edited by hachi
Add twitter urls

• 1 month later...