Report: New Arcadia VF-1 white is still purple/pink

davidwhangchoi

Got some bad news, contrary to recent reports of Arcadia no longer having pink/purple whites. i just brought my first Arcadia VF-1 in a long time. I grabbed a premium 1S all excited bc i read the whites were no longer pink.  finally thought we're past it.  Just a disclaimer: this is very subjective depending on the lighting and environment the VF-1 is in. Some users may not be able to reproduce this effect in their environment at all. Unfortunately, both standard soft white 60w and 150w and my recent purchase of LED bulbs for my my apartment exhibit the same conditions  bring out the purple hue a bit more pronounced. I've never had this problem with Yamato VF-1 either DRYL off white or TV Bright White.  (aside from the yamato assembly kits) 

here's some shots i took between a Yamato VF-1A Angel Bird in TV Bright White and the recent Arcadia Premium VF-1S Hikaru

tNtHJml.jpg

1m0Tccs.jpg

j5sy9bh.jpg

GlmJEMWl.jpg

eahnIgOl.jpg

rX7Xutpl.jpg

7Yhy1xbl.jpg

obviously, i'm not point blank directly under a lamp when handling my valks but at times i am close to a lighting source as my lamps directly hang over me.

anyone else got a recent Arcadia that can report in? 

i'm still going to support arcadia but thought to report this in case anyone was still wondering about their whites. 

Edited by davidwhangchoi

j5sy9bhm.jpg7Yhy1xbm.jpgeahnIgOm.jpg

Can you cover all those reds in the area (legs/backpack/etc) with some cotton-balls and take the same pics quoted as above?

Wanna see if those reds are somehow affecting the lighting (bounce/diffraction/shadow/etc).

The Arcadia white do seem hollow, tho, compared to the opaqueness of the AngelBird. At least, from what I see on the wings:

eahnIgOm.jpg vs  GlmJEMWm.jpg

The light just goes thru on the Arcadia Hikky.

Edited by treatment
dagnabbitforumeditor

5 hours ago, jenius said:

To me, it just looks like a colder white. Under normal lighting it looks a little brighter. This is opposed to the VF1J with GBP which has hints of pink under normal light. 

This. Less creamy. It's not often that I try to look at bright light sources through my Valkyries, either. If that's what I have to do to see pink, count me a satisfied customer.

11 hours ago, jenius said:

To me, it just looks like a colder white. Under normal lighting it looks a little brighter. This is opposed to the VF1J with GBP which has hints of pink under normal light. 

thanks jenius. i skipped the gbp bc i have 3 sets from yamato. and compared the angel bird to the arcadia last night. 

if you have a premium 1S, can you post a pic with the gbp under normal light for you? thanks!  i saw a hint purplish

tint. (the colder white) my lighting  conditions i'm a bit more sensitive to it. 

10 hours ago, BluprinT said:

Is this a strategy to prevent future yellowing?  I'm not against the coloring if this is a preventative measure to prevent long term yellowing of the products. Just curious as to why they chose this particular mix

that's what i read a few speculating.  

10 hours ago, treatment said:

Can you cover all those reds in the area (legs/backpack/etc) with some cotton-balls and take the same pics quoted as above?

Wanna see if those reds are somehow affecting the lighting (bounce/diffraction/shadow/etc).

The Arcadia white do seem hollow, tho, compared to the opaqueness of the AngelBird. At least, from what I see on the wings:

Hey treatment, i'll try when i get in from work. i'll be home past midnight EST. just off hand i thought the same but the areas shown have no red next to it on the inverse sides. 

it's definitely the plastic 

On my monitor, the light shines through the wings and the foldy tail piece on both Vaklyries, but the Angel Birds Valkyrie is letting a different color of light pass through those parts. I think the pink/purple hue is strong evidence that Arcadia is adding something to its plastic mix. An anti-UV agent would be smart, especially since Arcadia decided to move to bright TV-style whites early on. Time will tell, though, if any Arcadia Valkyries are prone to yellowing like the older Yamato Valkyries.

Edited by technoblue

on my brand-new LG monitor, the Arcadia VF-1S looks like he's holding his HAND up to that light when compared to the Yamato... that's an interesting conundrum.

the Angelbird looks VERY cream-coloured [by comparison] in those side-by-sides as well...

Edited by slide

I never pay much attention to color comparisons online because there are too many factors involved...the color sensitivity of the camera used, the lighting, the white balance setting, the setting of the monitors everyone's using, the color reproduction capabilities of the monitors everyone is using, etc. Of course, all thing being equal and comparing two things under those same conditions may show some differences but in the end, it's what the thing looks like in real life in front of me that counts. I don't mind the Arcadia colors at all but I've never been particularly sensitive towards slight shade differences and I don't have any Yammies to compare.

That being said, I appreciate seeing all the pics of different generations of Valks. I hear a lot about the white colors used and if the Arcadia valks have some sort of treatment to keep them from yellowing, that is good to me. I have a couple Arcadia Valks by my window but they are above so they never get direct sunlight. I haven't noticed any discoloration yet but they haven't been there too long. Will see how it goes.

Edited by Slave IV

When I got my copy of the recently released Hikaru VF-1S, it instantly hit me how pink it looked without needing to compare it to anything. I guess I'm particularly sensitive to color gradations. It makes it easier to do color matching when mixing paints, but it's curse when things like this bother me. I was fairly disappointed and probably won't be getting anymore Arcadia VF-1 releases. People may think I'm overreacting, but I can't help that it bothers me, especially when put next to the other ones. They should have made it like the VF-0S white which didn't look pink at all.

On 6/8/2017 at 11:42 PM, treatment said:

Treatment, i think there's enough info and credible user testimony so i don't have to post anymore photos

On 6/12/2017 at 6:07 PM, MacrossJunkie said:

When I got my copy of the recently released Hikaru VF-1S, it instantly hit me how pink it looked without needing to compare it to anything. I guess I'm particularly sensitive to color gradations. It makes it easier to do color matching when mixing paints, but it's curse when things like this bother me. I was fairly disappointed and probably won't be getting anymore Arcadia VF-1 releases. People may think I'm overreacting, but I can't help that it bothers me, especially when put next to the other ones. They should have made it like the VF-0S white which didn't look pink at all.

have to agree arcadia should have made it like the 0s which didn't have any pink in any circumstances. 

This is a nice thread for comparing, David. ;)

I'm actually very forgiving about toys nowadays. I guess, it really has something to do with age. :pardon:

Knowing now that the plastic colors are really different. What I'm interested more is that the plastic content used in Arcadia. When you were holding both Valks, David, does it feel that it has the same consistency compared to the plastic used by Yamato? I have some Yamato VF-1's and when I compared my Yamato VF-1J's wing to Arcadia's VF-1S's wing, the latter felt like it's thinner and somehow 'crispier' than the former. And I've felt the same on the old VF-0S compared to the new one.

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Treatment, i think there's enough info and credible user testimony so i don't have to post anymore photos

have to agree arcadia should have made it like the 0s which didn't have any pink in any circumstances. 

Yup.

At this point, it is what it is.

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

This is a nice thread for comparing, David. ;)

I'm actually very forgiving about toys nowadays. I guess, it really has something to do with age. :pardon:

Knowing now that the plastic colors are really different. What I'm interested more is that the plastic content used in Arcadia. When you were holding both Valks, David, does it feel that it has the same consistency compared to the plastic used by Yamato? I have some Yamato VF-1's and when I compared my Yamato VF-1J's wing to Arcadia's VF-1S's wing, the latter felt like it's thinner and somehow 'crispier' than the former. And I've felt the same on the old VF-0S compared to the new one.

Any thoughts?

Interesting. I never thought to compare something like that. So I took the new Hikaru 1S and compared to a VT-1 and a DYRL Kakizaki VF-1A from some years back. Somehow I feel like the plastic is a bit lighter or at least more flexible on the Hikaru. When I tap the end of the fully extended wings on the new Hikaru 1S, it seems to have more vibration or spring to it. Whereas tapping the VT-1 or Kakizaki, it's more of a muted thud. The thickness and the dimensions of the wings look identical. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Maybe the added flexibility will make it less prone to breakage? It's by no means floppy or squishy, just less... rigid? Maybe lighter? I'd have to put them on a scale to know for sure, but I don't have one handy to make a quantifiable assessment.

Just now, Sandman said:

Interesting. I wonder if this is an improvement or a cost saving tactic on Arcadia's part?

it may be simply a new "better" blend of plastic.

changes may have been made due to environmental regs, or any number of reasons. 

it very well could be that this is just a cheaper blend with the same or close enough properties Yamato's plastic.

The most apples to apples comparison that I can make is between the Yamato and Arcadia Hikaru VF-1J. I used my trusty postal scale to get the numbers. It has a tare button that can zero the scale and make sure nothing is skewing the results between each measurement.

Yamato VF-1J: 6.6oz or 187g (with pilot)
Arcadia VF-1J: 6.6oz or 187g (with pilot)

It looks like the weight is exactly the same in this case. I will need to check the premium 1S now, but I don't expect the number to change. 

Edit: Corrected my grams.

And there was a slight change, but it makes sense with the added lasers on the 1S head. Although these are not exactly apples to apples, I have some weight comparisons for the Arcadia Hikaru DYRL premium versus Yamato Roy TV.

Yamato VF-1S TV Roy:          6.8oz or 192g (with pilot)
Arcadia VF-1S DYRL Hikaru:  6.8oz or 192g (with pilot)

Again, when comparing two of the same Valkyrie type, the weight is the same. I don't think the weight is going to reveal much in this case.

Edited by technoblue

Reading this thread I thought the theory about the plastic having a different composition made the most sense, really interested to see what conclusions, if any, are drawn.

And I agree that it is odd that the Arcadia VF-1's have a tint or hue or whatever difference. Perhaps it's to allow people to tell the difference (beyond print or other small details) between Arcadia and Yamato produced Valkyries. 

-b.