Have any of you quit collecting?

Fortress_Maximus

• 1 month later...

Not many of you remember me...I collected all manner of things, not just macross. I was on here buying, selling and trading but all of that was while I was in the service. Wasn't rich but my income was a lot more disposable than in recent years. I was also living in Hawaii so, when I got out of the service, life changed drastically. There was no housing allowance, medical insurance became a thing and, suddenly, the money I thought was gonna stretch (although the actual bring home was much higher...the benefits placed me well below the poverty line) didn't, on top of that, I got divorced. Luckily she wasn't interested in my collection bc I'd spent a good bit of coin on it.

I collect comics too, this is far easier to keep up with. Long story short I'm currently back home, making better money, and choices. Got remarried to a woman who's down with my collecting and am now looking to return to it. But yeah, I had stopped for the better part of 13 years...BELIEVE ME, this is the extreme abridged version of everything that has happened...crap was like a movie, lots of ups and downs but I think I'm finally back...at some point, I'll start a thread in the collections part of the forum with a link, if admin will be cool with it...

The new Macross series stuff interests me less with each release....at some point I can see myself opting out of adding any more new VF type toys....however, I do not think I'll ever stop collecting vintage odds and ends as they come up

I'll probably also keep buying at least one of every new generation of revised VF-1 for a while...still may have 2-3 more in my lifetime....:drinks:

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 7:36 AM, jvmacross said:

The new Macross series stuff interests me less with each release....at some point I can see myself opting out of adding any more new VF type toys....however, I do not think I'll ever stop collecting vintage odds and ends as they come up

I'll probably also keep buying at least one of every new generation of revised VF-1 for a while...still may have 2-3 more in my lifetime....:drinks:

Your statement is like looking in a mirror.

My collecting has slowed down dramatically, because I feel at the point that my collecting will become my children’s burden. While they love playing with our collections I see a looming wave waiting to hit when they have to decide what to do with it all. They want to keep some stuff but for the most part I have instructed them to sell anything and everything if they ever wanted or needed to when it becomes theirs.

12 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Your statement is like looking in a mirror.

My collecting has slowed down dramatically, because I feel at the point that my collecting will become my children’s burden. While they love playing with our collections I see a looming wave waiting to hit when they have to decide what to do with it all. They want to keep some stuff but for the most part I have instructed them to sell anything and everything if they ever wanted or needed to when it becomes theirs.

I will sell off everything before allowing it to become a burden to anyone else.....currently it's just my burden! :)

Lucky for you JVM. My kids really like a lot of the Macross items we’ve collected over the years. They play with them on and off and love seeing the new stuff that comes in and they get to play with. I have thought of selling it all off, but my kids always ask to keep it for them. 

As a dad and Macross collector this warms my heart knowing they care for these things like I do.

My kids show no interest in Macross...other than a vague interest from my daughter in some Minmay figs, my son is currently into Lego and Thomas the Train stuff with no interest in anything Macross...I do not feel "lucky" as listing and selling all of my stuff will be a pain in the arse some day......of course I could just decide to "take it all with me"....:drinks:

20 hours ago, jvmacross said:

My kids show no interest in Macross...other than a vague interest from my daughter in some Minmay figs, my son is currently into Lego and Thomas the Train stuff with no interest in anything Macross...I do not feel "lucky" as listing and selling all of my stuff will be a pain in the arse some day......of course I could just decide to "take it all with me"....:drinks:

Leave a note, "Dear kids, this stuff is worth a lot of moolah on Ebay. Best wishes, Dad."

I'd collect more valks than I do, but Bandai doesn't seem to want my money.  "Wake up at 2AM, hit refresh--not available.  Check 5 secs later---pre-order sold out".  Been like that for 3 of the last 4 valks I considered buying.  Won't pay 2x for aftermarket, so I just go without most of the time. 

"I've quit collecting, because they won't let me buy anything new any more".