Have any of you quit collecting?

Fortress_Maximus

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have quit collecting Warhammer 40k. I haven't bought a Warhammer model in almost a year and a half. And honestly, I couldn't be happier, though I have a bunch that need building and painting. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24.6.2017 at 9:14 PM, Jasonc said:

This is my one true tie to my childhood, and I did leave it all for many years after I got out of high school, so I know what it's like not being tied to your youth. I don't want that to happen again.

This is just the feeling I got two days ago while working on my latest mecha plastic kit (Broken Blade Eltemus Golem 1/60 btw.). The thought crossed my mind if I’m not to old for this hobby by now and how long could I stick to it?

A few years ago, when I turned 40, I stumbled across Luca’s RVF-25 renewal version. In my youth I built lots of Robotech kits and with this perfect look of those new Bandai toys I had to get it. By now my Macross collection counts 14 Valks plus different sets of super and armored parts and the VF-31A on order. Plus several mechas from other series, too. On display by turns. Further I began watching mecha anime series again and I hate myself seeing what I missed in the past years.

As for me I think this kind of hobby enhances both creativity and fantasy (as long it does not get to excessive). And it is a shame that the second one is in danger to disappear when you have to deal with adult life.

My conclusion is you’re never too old for something if it makes you feel good. Especially as real life is not fun all the time. I hope Macross is still there when I’m eighty, just consider what quality these Valks will have!

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:50 PM, Valkyrie Driver said:

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have quit collecting Warhammer 40k. I haven't bought a Warhammer model in almost a year and a half. And honestly, I couldn't be happier, though I have a bunch that need building and painting. 

Sell them... do it... save yourself from that endless pit of rule changing price increasing crap

OK, I know that this thread is about quitting on collecting.....but I have a 4 year old son who is all about Thomas the Train Wooden Engines.....OMG.....there are so many.....seriously....how can so many engines exist on the frickin' Island of Sodor??!?!?........

Curse you Rev W. Awdry!!! :angry:

And don't get me started on Paw Patrol!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 12:32 PM, jvmacross said:

OK, I know that this thread is about quitting on collecting.....but I have a 4 year old son who is all about Thomas the Train Wooden Engines.....OMG.....there are so many.....seriously....how can so many engines exist on the frickin' Island of Sodor??!?!?........

Curse you Rev W. Awdry!!! :angry:

And don't get me started on Paw Patrol!!!

My son loved the original Thomas Trains, they were diecast in the beginning. Pretty much had the whole set and then I give them away as soon as he moved on to pokemon. Let's not get started there with the original pokemon cards, which we actually still have packed in the attic. Another thing I must get rid of when I move soon...ugh.

So far as macross collecting, my model habit got out of control years and years ago with the plastic kits. Not many I have not owned. Had to stop. I try to focus on Resin/Multimedia kits now as I just don't have the time to invest as I did when I was younger and the realization that I don't plan on stopping long enough to seize up from old age. Currently selling a few of my kits and toys, but having a hard time letting go of some things. Just can't bring myself to doing it. While I was going through my Macross toys and models I was putting it all on the bed that I was going to get rid of. As I was my my for sale post earlier I was putting some of them back in my stash thinking "I need this so when I finish that"...I know I am going to have to let them go at some point, model kits wise. The toys though, they are pre-made so I don't have to invest the same amount of time.

Don't know if any of that makes sense, but ugh...the addiction. So far as collecting anything else, I don't collect anything else for personal satisfaction other than Macross.

Sounds like some of you wrestled with the idea whether or not collecting a specific item/series still made you happy.  Definitely agree with this value.  After all, why collect or engage in a hobby if it does not genuinely fulfill you?  Regardless if you are collecting for yourself or with a family member IMO the experiences should be overwhelmingly positive.  

Another thing some of you raise is how collecting can be habit forming and even addicting.  Have any of you experienced the darker side of addicting?  It can be related or unrelated to Macross.  Thanks for sharing and I think it helps everyone understand we all face similar struggles with our beloved hobbies. 

I didn't quit collecting but I did quit over-collecting. 

I used to buy any Bandai Macross thing in multiples whether I liked it or not, just because it was Macross because I'm so used to the Macross Drought from mid 1980's --> mid 2000's. 

It was addicting and very financially taxing.

Macross Delta wasn't my cup of tea + the valks are way too expensive so it was easier to quit the Macross Addiction. I also sold off everything in storage because if it isn't being displayed it's not worth having.

It was surprising how much money was spent. All the money went into my Retirement accounts right away so that it was locked away and I wasn't tempted to start collecting something else with the windfall.

Now I am strict about my collection. If I don't have space for it I don't buy it and if I want it badly enough I'll need to sell or give something away to make space for it.

It's really made me trim down my collection to what I actually love / can't live without and I think it's way healthier than it used to be.

Edited by Duymon

Definitely haven't quit collecting, but I do have a sort of "end game" in mind.  I'm mainly collecting only SDF Macross stuff, and once I have what I want of that, the only thing I might keep collecting Macross anything is if the HMR line makes valks outside of SDFM.  

That is one of the reasons I bought the vf-2ss.  I want to see how well HMR can do a non-vf1 valk, and would like to see them make more.

Edited by HardlyNever

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2017 at 9:06 AM, Duymon said:

I didn't quit collecting but I did quit over-collecting. 

I used to buy any Bandai Macross thing in multiples whether I liked it or not, just because it was Macross because I'm so used to the Macross Drought from mid 1980's --> mid 2000's. 

It was addicting and very financially taxing.

Macross Delta wasn't my cup of tea + the valks are way too expensive so it was easier to quit the Macross Addiction. I also sold off everything in storage because if it isn't being displayed it's not worth having.

It was surprising how much money was spent. All the money went into my Retirement accounts right away so that it was locked away and I wasn't tempted to start collecting something else with the windfall.

Now I am strict about my collection. If I don't have space for it I don't buy it and if I want it badly enough I'll need to sell or give something away to make space for it.

It's really made me trim down my collection to what I actually love / can't live without and I think it's way healthier than it used to be.

+1. As with any consumables, take them with moderation. Anything excessive is detrimental.

For me its more of a roller coaster ride. It started when Yamato entered the fray, that ends the Macross draught. First it was 1/60 v1, then 1/72 M+, then peaked when it was 1/48's VF-1 & 1/60 M+. Man did I buy almost anything 1/48's & 1/60 M+. Then graduated from college, sold my entire collection to pay deposit for mortgage & started career. Quit completely for 2.5 years. Got married, then started to wonder : "hmm...I wonder what's going on in MW forum these days?" and BAM, started collecting 1/60 v2 VF-1, Destroids , M Zero, M+ etc (Yamato folded & Arcadia emerged from the ashes). A year ago, I hit my low again. Sold some, kept some, started to think more "rationally"...and now I'm left with only a Yamato's 1/60 v2 Hikaru 30th Anniversary + fast packs & an Arcadia's 1/60 YF-19. And in between, HMR came out, bought some as "sample", liked it initially, but my love was still with v2 VF-1, so HMR's were sold.

For now I'm going for a max of 3 x VF-1 v2, one for each mode, which I plan to buy in a really slow pace in the next few years (just so my collection "sinusodial-wave" time-period is longer, lol), and maybe a revision of the YF-21/VF-22, if Arcadia ever revisit it to pair with the 19. I'd love a renewal SV-51 if they released it a few years back. The old version plastic was craptastic, the thighs on mine cracked in so many places, but at this point in time I think Arcadia has missed that window for me as any. And oh, ordered a Calibre Wings 1/72 F-14B Jolly Rogers diecast model because the price & online pictures were irresistable. We'll see how well this one goes.

So, anyways, that pretty much summed up my ups & downs in Macross collecting. Never had a passion for other collection as I'm more of a sports guy, though I spent less time since getting married. Overall, tried to quit, but realized I have never really quit anything. So now I'm just taking it slow.

Edited by aaajin

I think I've finally ran out of room. My office is jammed pack and I can only display like 15-30% of my collection at once. I don't really want to quit collecting. I've tried slimming down the collection by selling some older stuff and I have a little. But when I think about how hard it was to get some stuff and how I got lucky getting other stuff, I have a real hard time letting it go. Not sure what I'm going to do.

I had quit for almost 2 years and sold a huge chunk of my collection. It was for the down payment on my condo. But also because I lost a good portion of my collection to a flood. Well the boxes to them anyway. So I said screw it and sold them off. 

I used to collect 3A but quit that completely because I actually interacted with Ashley Wood on his forum. I decided he did not get any more of my money after that. Don't meet your heroes and yada yadda 

• 1 month later...

When I objectively examine how and why I previously spent on collecting and value it created, I am glad I quit.  Agreed running out of room/storage is a big issue.  I decided to sell what I did not absolutely love and enjoy.  It feels incredibly better removing all the clutter especially the damn Yamato 1/48 boxes!  Moderation helps but also want to add I find great value being free.  I have the freedom to focus on what matters most in life, without being concerned about the safety, storage, insurance of things.  As much as I enjoy anime and Macross, looking at the big picture I spent too much time dedicated on things I now sold off completely.  Today the same monies I might have spent on Macross toys and stuff can easily fund first class round trips if I so chose.  Now I have the option to do more with my resources because I make judicious decisions.

Lastly agree with Duyman's comments and particularly what he discovered about his spending and his decision to fund retirement accounts; sell the stuff you do not display and/or love and invest it in your own future.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:06 AM, Duymon said:

I also sold off everything in storage because if it isn't being displayed it's not worth having.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hey guys. i'm very new to Macross but not collecting. have moved from cards to toys to comics and back to toys over the years. currently selling a large portion of my comic collection, and coming up with creative ways to justify my new Macross obsession.

recently a friend put me onto this doco that I think some of you may enjoy. ostensibly it is about vinyl collecting, but as it progresses examines collecting itself and the reasons we do it. I saw a lot of myself in the people interviewed (for better and worse), and Alan Zweig's final statement in particular was powerful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Considering sh*t's about to get real tonight....I recommend many of you on the fence to watch the video before pre--order madness starts.....it may free up some for the rest of us who will not be quitting anytime soon! :drinks:

What's going to go on pre-order tonight?

• 3 weeks later...

I have quit collecting several times and have tried selling off my whole collection several times. Almost always because of money issues. But then I end up not being able to sell everything off and then something really cool comes out and I end up buying it. However, over the years I have gotten better and better at buying less and selling more, and not collecting. It actually feels good to let go of these things. I am planning to have a garage sale soon to sell off all the things I have not been able to sell on eBay and then all I will have left is my 1/55 VF-1S with super parts which is the only toy I plan to keep "forever" (that and my Tron lightcycle that I have had since the 1980s). That said, the new Bandai 1/48 VF-1 looks amazing and if they made a VF-1S Roy then it is possible that I might get one of those if I was able to afford it. Collecting is fun but it takes a lot of time, money and space and those things have become more valuable to me over the years for more important things. Maybe eventually I will even get rid of the Tron light cycle and the 1/55 chunky monkey.

• 5 weeks later...

New to MW but collecting for decades since the Summer of 84.  Sold everything except some 1/55s, some art, and art books.  Sold mainly b/c sick of paying storage fee while moving due job changes.  Very happy I managed to reduce to just the items I really enjoy but this is just for Macross.  :)

2 hours ago, zard said:

New to MW but collecting for decades since the Summer of 84.  Sold everything except some 1/55s, some art, and art books.  Sold mainly b/c sick of paying storage fee while moving due job changes.  Very happy I managed to reduce to just the items I really enjoy but this is just for Macross.  :)

Macross art?