Have any of you quit collecting?

Fortress_Maximus

13 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Skull-1 = King of Kicking the Macross Habit

Good luck on your impending sale!

Thanks man. Lol.   Do we even have a classifieds section any more?

Just now, Skull-1 said:

yes, there's the for sale & trade section

11 hours ago, Skull-1 said:

List items for sale/trade here...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/forum/9-for-sale-amp-trade/

Get ideas on current pricing here....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/38871-macross-collectibles-market-watch-current-auctionstore-sold-prices/

Or....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/42369-the-new-and-improved-whats-it-worth-thread/

Good Luck!

On 6/20/2017 at 5:06 PM, jvmacross said:

The chum has been cast....:rolleyes:

tumblr_odofhb1oVW1v9gs2ko1_1280.jpg

Lol.  

I am about to move which will mean getting my collection back out of storage.   Gonna open my boxes and lay everything out then post ads by type.   I think I will have stuff of interest to many.   

Edited by Skull-1

For me, I know there will be a time when I look at what I have, and say "K, I'm done." I know many say that doesn't happen to them, but for me, it has with everything I've gotten into. I guess as long as I have other stuff I can sell to keep this going, I will. I'm at a point now where the toys themselves are great, but I don't need them all, nor did I ever want them all. Even with the books, I have a lot, so aside from mostly pretty pictures, I don't need them, except for reference stuff. For posters, I have a lot of those, and I think those are what I really like getting, along with various oddities (if you consider rare and obscure resin kits as part of that). I'm having fun building Macross kits, so I'm happy doing that, and I think at some point soon, that may be what I do with the rest of my fandom, along with still keeping up with series and information. I'll never completely leave the fandom and the hobby. This is my one true tie to my childhood, and I did leave it all for many years after I got out of high school, so I know what it's like not being tied to your youth. I don't want that to happen again. I'm in my early 40s, so at this point, if I haven't left yet, no need to exit now.

• 2 months later...

Macross collecting....

New Macross production is announced....

First images of mecha and characters are released.......

Gotta_catch_them_all.png

Toys and merchandise hit the market.....

tumblr_na8zxfNbK21rpcgxco1_500.gif

Hikaru-Shooting-Wallet-by-NO3LJM-500px_zpsxwktqtbc.gif

Merchandising begins to fade and period to recoup before new series is announced.....(this wallet recharge period seems to now have gotten a lot shorter after Macross Delta....:wacko:)

Monopoly-Man-Bankrupt-w.jpg

Repeat.....

I grew up loving Star Wars in the early 80's. I didnt have every figure, but I had lots of them, and lots of ships. All I wanted basically. These days, I dont have or need any Star Wars figures, no matter how big a fan I am, because it has always been there, as much as I wanted.

But Macross was different. I grew up loving Macross even more than Star Wars in some ways. But it was mysterious.  There were no toys, at least not in Texas and the East Coast where I grew up. I didnt have access to conventions or a cool neighborhood comic store that brought Arii kits, or 1/55 Valks, or VHS tapes that might have cleared up some of the mystery.  We didnt have anything no matter how much I looked. Plus Macross was of mysterious origins and a lot of its provenance was baffling to me. 

So unlike Star Wars, there is kind of an unsatisfied itch that explains my personal collecting. Its rarity adds to the hobby.  

Now that we have access to pretty much everything we want, we are gonna catch them all until that itch is scratched.

On 6/8/2017 at 2:01 PM, Fortress_Maximus said:

Have other MW members attempted to quit collecting or successfully quit altogether?  If you did  please share why you felt the desire to quit.  Was it due to a life event changes such as debt, dating, marriage, home purchase, expanding family, retirement, et al?   Also, share what you were collecting too.  Lastly, if it applies share if you eventually returned to collecting and mention why.

Thanks!  Curious to hear the MW community feedback.  Thanks.

Hi, my name is Vincent and I'm a Valk-a-hol-ic! :vava:

Ahem, well at least I was sober for the past three years, not because of a sudden lost of interest, but because I had to manage my money wisely. One income and four outcome (wifee and three babies), plus house rent, car payment, you name it. But now that I am more financially secure, got a loan and bought a house, wife started working again, and gramma baby sitting my babies, I'm slowly getting back into DX Valk and Transformers Masterpiece. But that doesn't mean I could have spending spree. Wifee is watching our bank account like a hawk, she would questions everything I've made a purchase on, so when there's something I know I really want, I have my bro order it and slowly repay him back later ;)

My first DX Valk was a VF-31F Messer and VF-31C Mirage is on the way from NY.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

On 9/16/2017 at 1:59 AM, jvmacross said:

Bub....Any recent pics of collectible treasures from your travels to Japan?

Not from Japan, but from Beijing and Brisbane.

In Beijing, there's a mall called Soshow and on one of its floors is full of toys and collectibles.  One closed shop has an opened Arcadia VF-1S Roy on display (I checked again on the next day and the shop was still closed).  Another shop has a Hikaru type which was over priced.

One notable shop has the 4 VF-1 Doyushas, and an expensive set of the 15th Anniversary ld_boxf.jpg Laser Discs (with a forgettable price tag going through roof).  The same shops was selling the Digital Mission VFX PS1 game.  And displayed inside this shop was a what looks to be a framed sketch of a character, which I couldn't recognize, by Mikimoto (also ridiculously over priced).

DSC_1088a.jpg

DSC_1065a.jpg

Edited by Bub
added pix

In Brisbane, there is a shop named "ComicBookHeroes! Toy Shop" in a Westfield mall over at Chermside which was selling some vintage and pirated Macross items:

@jvmacross, could you please identify the Golden VF-1J found at the center of the 5th picture?

DSC_1136.JPG

DSC_1139.JPG

DSC_1142.JPG

DSC_1144.JPG

DSC_1146.JPG

DSC_1147.JPG

DSC_1148.JPG

DSC_1149.JPG

DSC_1150.JPG

DSC_1153.JPG

DSC_1154.JPG

DSC_1155.JPG

DSC_1157.JPG

DSC_1159.JPG

DSC_1160.JPG

DSC_1164.JPG

1 hour ago, Bub said:

Not from Japan, but from Beijing and Brisbane.

In Beijing, there's a mall called Soshow and on one of its floors is full of toys and collectibles.  One closed shop has an opened Arcadia VF-1S Roy on display (I checked again on the next day and the shop was still closed).  Another shop has a Hikaru type which was over priced.

One notable shop has the 4 VF-1 Doyushas, and an expensive set of the 15th Anniversary  Laser Discs (with a forgettable price tag going through roof).  The same shops was selling the Digital Mission VFX PS1 game.  And displayed inside this shop was a what looks to be a framed sketch of a character, which I couldn't recognize, by Mikimoto (also ridiculously over priced).

DSC_1065a.jpg

Cool stuff.....the sketch appears to be a character from Orguss....don't know her name but it is the one that looks like Misa I think...

Edited by jvmacross

1 hour ago, Bub said:

In Brisbane, there is a shop named "ComicBookHeroes! Toy Shop" in a Westfield mall over at Chermside which was selling some vintage and pirated Macross items:

@jvmacross, could you please identify the Golden VF-1J found at the center of the 5th picture?

DSC_1146.JPG

It is a vintage Takatoku  Block System VF-1J gold version....there is also a Chrome version...and an SDF-1...

gallery_12176_633_923225.jpg

gallery_12176_633_263715.jpg

gallery_12176_633_2267600.jpg

On 9/15/2017 at 8:30 AM, Bub said:

Sori, akala ko. Heheh...

No worries. Sa Disyembre pa. ;) 

On 9/21/2017 at 4:40 AM, Bub said:

And displayed inside this shop was a what looks to be a framed sketch of a character, which I couldn't recognize, by Mikimoto (also ridiculously over priced).

DSC_1065a.jpg

Yup, it's a character from ORGUSS. At first I thought it was Mimsy. But the hair/flow resembles more like Srei. Only Mikimoto can tell who exactly is that sketch. ;)

Orguss is fun, especially if you like Mikimoto's character art. It does start slow like Macross, though, with a few critical plot developments in the very beginning.

Anyway, I guess you might say that I'm biased. :p

I've also been lurking this thread for a while. My own collecting habits have become something of a challenge, and I've been thinking about how to cut back on purchases and what I am holding onto. The idea that I need to have one of everything doesn't really jive with my collecting goals anymore. I'm happy for those who have those goals and who are able to achieve them; but I've come to understand that my goals are different, and I need to define what i really want to get out of this Macross hobby.

Oddly enough, I've had more success setting well defined goals with Bandai releases than with Yamato/Arcadia releases. I guess I need to figure out how to reset the latter, and then start over from 1 (or less than what I have). Maybe it's time to let go of all the older Yamato Valkyries that I've been holding onto. It'll be tough, but it might also be a good thing for me.

Edited by technoblue
Quick edit

@jvmacross:  Orguss and Orguss02 are both entertaining, check them out.  Orguss was fansubbed years ago by CentralAnime.  You can see the fansubs on YouTube for free.

@technoblue:  Glad to hear you no longer feel the goal to collect multiple versions.  So what exactly do you feel you need to get out of your collecting hobby?  I found setting well-defined goals is essential to making improvements in all areas of life (health, career, financial, etc).  Since you are on the fence of starting over and letting go, have you objectively considered the tangible benefits for selling versus holding onto your collection?

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

No pics yet, as I am in the process of moving back to Japan so some stuff is already in boxes for shipping. But once i get set back up in 2-3 months i'll throw some pics down.

I'm still after the cel in my avvie but I'll also put pics of the ones I have later. The latest Macross item I aquired was an old VHD Macross Challenge game I found in a second-hand Kimono shop lol i posted that on the FB Macrossfan central page a while back.

On 10/3/2017 at 1:21 PM, Fortress_Maximus said:

@technoblue:  Glad to hear you no longer feel the goal to collect multiple versions.  So what exactly do you feel you need to get out of your collecting hobby?  I found setting well-defined goals is essential to making improvements in all areas of life (health, career, financial, etc).  Since you are on the fence of starting over and letting go, have you objectively considered the tangible benefits for selling versus holding onto your collection?

Good question. I'm still unsure what I want out of this hobby. In the beginning, I wanted a few pleasant distractions to calm the anxiety of writer's block and help focus my imagination on creative concepts and engineering. The community here was also a welcoming one, if a little rule bound. Personally, Macross was something that I have fond memories of, both the Robotech version and the original Japanese version. I was more familiar with Robotech for obvious reasons so finding a place where I could learn more about the original anime and the subsequent series was very cool.

My collecting has since evolved from that simple purpose to the never ending "moving the goal posts" idea which isn't really where I wanted to take it.

What I do like is having interesting pieces that evoke iconic scenes and remind me of characters or places in the different shows that really got to me. For instance, the first time in Macross Zero when I saw the VF-0 Valkyries in action, the time in SDF Macross when Hikaru is fumbling about the VF-1D with Minmay, Max and Milia's first encounter, anytime Roy was on screen in his Valkyrie, Guld and Isamu's face off in Macross Plus. The DYRL Valkyries outfit with Strike Packs.

Yeah, it would be cool to have a smaller collection that is more focused.

Anyway...tangible benefits. I have been considering the positives of letting a portion of my collection go. There is the obvious financial benefit and the increased space benefit. The not so obvious benefits, but the ones that are itching me to move forward, are the health benefits: physical, mental, and relationship health. It's all intertwined for me, I think. Having too much of this stuff weighs everything down. I guess that's how I'm built. I need to balance it all out so that other important facets of my life are not negatively affected by this collecting habit -- maybe even pay it forward when I decide that I have gone overboard.  

Related to which, another member mentioned Star Wars earlier. I was very much into Star Wars when I was young too. I had the Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Millennium Falcon, other smaller sets, and scores of action figures. Eventually, the play value of those things started to fade and I realized that having more space, a clean room, and a dedicated spot to do homework had more value to me than keeping that stuff. I ended up giving away the good toys and binning the junk toys.

No matter my age, the value of things is ever changing for me.