Have any of you quit collecting?

Fortress_Maximus

Have other MW members attempted to quit collecting or successfully quit altogether?  If you did  please share why you felt the desire to quit.  Was it due to a life event changes such as debt, dating, marriage, home purchase, expanding family, retirement, et al?   Also, share what you were collecting too.  Lastly, if it applies share if you eventually returned to collecting and mention why.

Thanks!  Curious to hear the MW community feedback.  Thanks.

I've quit collecting other things, like baseball cards when I was little. I've also quit other hobbies like hotrodding cars. I've quit smoking cigarettes. I've quit a few vicious ladies.  I think most people who quit collecting will also quit this site. I don't peruse car parts stores or stay up on the breaking news like I used to and actively avoid some of the other things I've quit. In the end, there may be external catalysts, but I think it just comes to either a change by necessity or replacement... some new passion comes along. 

I'd attempted to avoid ever starting to collect Macross merchandise beyond books and other media, and was pretty darn successful at it until just a few years ago.

Then Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy came out, and I fell in love with the YF-30 Chronos.

Until that point, I'd only purchased one VF, the old Bandai snap-fit VF-2SS Valkyrie II kit.  I mulled it over a bit and decided it couldn't hurt to splurge a little on my favorite main timeline VF design to date, and Mr March sped the blow by adding a second one to his existing order for me.  Turns out that was the top of a particularly slippery slope... especially as I had a perfect storm of factors favoring starting a hobby like that: the recession was over, I had a lucrative set of new contracts, there had been a bunch of recent releases for designs I actually like, and my girlfriend's bad influence (she collects character statues).  Now I'm looking into a third Detolf to hold this year's newest acquisitions (a VF-31F, Sv-262Hs, and Sv-51y) and there's a fifth VF joining the tiny squadron based on my desk at work (Hayate's VF-31J).  I'm still quite picky about what I collect though, so I've only got about twenty VFs in total.

have managed to successfully get out of the Warhammer 40,000 hobby... though that escape was only ever meant to be a temporary reprieve.  When the recession was at its worst, I'd decided to give the hobby up since I'm kind of miserly by nature and was coming over a bit paranoid that our main client would end up in bankruptcy.  Turns out I needn't have worried... since they were the only ones who DIDN'T take some kind of government aid.  Though, as a result, I dodged an expensive redesign of the entire faction I favor and a bunch of needlessly complex edition updates that are now being simplified.  I'll probably pick the hobby up again once the dust settles after the launch of 8th Edition and the new codices for my factions have been released.  (I've currently got, by 5th and 6th edition standards, around 2,800 points of Necrons and 2,500 points of classic 3rd Edition Dark Eldar.)

I hope to quit collecting Macross toys after the HMR VF-1D is announced and I am able to get it. But if they announce Macross F stuff I think I might get sucked backed in...

Also years before I collected books (mostly literary and SF) then had to stop because I ran out of space and I realized I was spending A LOT (like several Kindles' worth of books a year). After a hiatus my spending on books is up again, mostly art or hobby-related books. Now I'm branching out to graphic novels. Just browsing through Amazon gives you a lot of 'ideas' haha. Hmm, maybe I should stop doing that.

I quite collecting Macross toys during the Yamato v1 VF-1 era to pursue other hobbies but I guess it was a much easier thing to do back then as there wasn't that many to collect from that line and the toys themselves were pretty crappy.. There are other things I have successfully quit collecting but others which I restarted including Macross and scale model cars.. 

Can't see myself quitting Macross collecting again anytime soon unless I have an epiphany of some sort or another.. 

14 minutes ago, hachi said:

I hope to quit collecting Macross toys after the HMR VF-1D is announced and I am able to get it. But if they announce Macross F stuff I think I might get sucked backed in...

Also years before I collected books (mostly literary and SF) then had to stop because I ran out of space and I realized I was spending A LOT (like several Kindles' worth of books a year). After a hiatus my spending on books is up again, mostly art or hobby-related books. Now I'm branching out to graphic novels. Just browsing through Amazon gives you a lot of 'ideas' haha. Hmm, maybe I should stop doing that.

Oh I forgot I also started trying to collect Gundam kits, specifically Gundam Wing. But when the HMR bug hit I kind of lost the desire to collect Gundam kits. It's mainly still a problem of space, and then financial priorities as I work around a budget. I think I have 3 or 4 Gundam kits still to assemble, then an Aldnoah.Zero kit, a Scopedog, a tachikoma, and a Nausicaa Mowe. It also hurts my heart to mention some Tomytec Macross kits are still unassembled...

Over the years I quit collecting a variety of things mainly to reduce clutter and to accelerate financial independence.  When I was young I collected art books, comics, cels, and Macross toys.  Today, I still collect original artwork and anime cels, but I am extremely selective and focus on quality over quantity.  What I no longer treasure I have largely sold already; to me, it is not getting what I want, it is now wanting what I got. 

For me, the impetus for this change was simply focusing on my life goals.  By doing so I avoid relapsing into the hedonistic and addictive habit of collecting.  For example, the amount of time spent shopping has disappeared since I quit collecting most things.  Nowadays, with all the freed up time, I shift my focus to priorities making me happier, healthier and contribute to me gaining new life experiences.  Also, I am sure as much as I would enjoy buying the newest Macross toy, I know I will not look back with any regret over not buying in the future. 

Lastly, one question I ask myself before buying and even in stressful situations is, 'will this matter in a year or two'?  If the answer is no (as it typically is), I simply do not buy it and happily move on with life.  So far my strategy works and I am happier and healthier for it.  Your mileage may vary.  Cheers!

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

The good thing about Macross Cel or Art collecting is that there is no way you could ever have a "complete" collection in the same way you could the mass-produced toys, figurines or even the books and other media.  So as long as you have some set goal and adhere to it, you could keep collecting as long as it remains enjoyable and/or affordable to continue doing so.  The only thing that I would advise against is quitting if you are not ready to quit.  You will find yourself obsessing about it too much and trying to justify your decision all the time. If you can walk away from the "game" and still come back and "enjoy" seeing what others have without feeling the urge to rationalize your decision to quit...or worse, starting up again...then you are officially over collecting.  If you cannot do that, coming back to "peek" is the worst thing you can do if you really want to quit collecting.  As you have said, the urge to collect is no different that the urge to drink, smoke, or any other addictive habit.  Some collectors just have to go "cold turkey".

I concur jvmacross!  It is nearly impossible to have a complete cel and original artwork collection per se, but I've known more than a few collectors over the last 30+ years who have done their damndest to corner an entire series and/or character.  Unfortunately, most have tried to sell their entire collections without much success.  :lol:  I definitely can walk away from all the other collectibles that I use to enjoy with no regrets.  When I compare the cost involved to collect things, it makes me smile knowing I want what I got and it makes happy.  Also, I fully understand one day I may be open to selling everything, simply because I do not want to maintain the collection.  I feel it helps to also be honest with oneself and admit under what circumstances it would be completely prudent to walk away too.

Hmmm... Interesting thread. 

I would direct those of you who are concerned about your collecting habits to an interview on CollectioDX with a collector who left the game. Very informative.

As for me, I hate "collecting" and I'm no "completist". I "buy" toys that I love dearly.  I play with them and pose them. If I have loved it for years, and fully expect to treasure it for years to come, I buy it, otherwise I stay away, or end up selling it anyway.

For most people (not all), I think toys and models are as harmless and inexpensive a hobby as you could have. Its not like we are collecting houses, ferraris or Arabian horses here. And you certainly wont run anyone over from a valkyrie addiction!

Edited by arbit

Me and my brother shared hotwheels, star wars kenners, various military model kits and 2 bandai chunky monkey's way way back. Other than my odd chunkey, i dont have em anymore, partly cos i wasnt exposed to a 'collecting' culture back then.

My recent so called collection was gunpla, because i was always a mecha fan. The MG shinanju and Kampfer was the start of my slippery slope into gunpla, and admit i couldn't have picked 2 better models to start with. But i have 'almost' been able to resist getting more due to lack of display space and time to build. 

Stopping macross collecting is not in my mind, as i have always loved the series. However i do recognize i don't have unlimited space or finances.

The quality of the bandai toys have been really good, so if any, maybe slowing down is the option so that i will continue to enjoy future valks that come out.

@ no3Ljm:  Like your honesty! :)

@ arbit:  Definitely see what you mean, collecting Macross mass produced items is comparatively affordable.  Though I do wonder how much the costs run for people buy nultiples and/or are completionists.  Doing either cannot be easy on the finances.  IDK.

@ seti88:  Can gunpla get expensive?  Tell us more about the pricing for collecting those items.

@jvmacross:  Quite possibly!  Or maybe they just do not want to admit they have or will never quit?  Who knows.  I just want to hear other MW members thoughts, values and experiences.  It is very interesting to read the thoughts and experiences of other collectors.

I agree.  I also would like to know what folks are planning on doing with all of their loot when it's lost its luster or the time comes for it or you to go?

In my opinion, the worst possible scenario would be to have your kids sell off your stuff at a yard sale!

Oh, that's some "Macross" sketch my Dad had hanging on the wall....20 bucks you say?  Sold!  Sure, I'll thrown in the bluray! :shok:

gallery_12176_600_1709367.jpg

I'm thinking that at some point I will sell it all to avoid something like that.  In the meantime, my wife knows what the stuff is worth in case of a sudden exit....sorry fellow Macross collectors!  :acute:

Just now, jvmacross said:

In my opinion, the worst possible scenario would be to have your kids sell off your stuff at a yard sale!

Oh, that's some "Macross" sketch my Dad had hanging on the wall....20 bucks you say?  Sold!  Sure, I'll thrown in the bluray! :shok:

One man's nightmare being another's Goldmine...:D

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Guess no one is quite ready to quit on Macross collecting...:unknw:

The answer to that my friend is that Kawamori needs to quit first. :pardon:

2 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

@ no3Ljm:  Like your honesty! :)

@jvmacross:  Quite possibly!  Or maybe they just do not want to admit they have or will never quit?  Who knows.  I just want to hear other MW members thoughts, values and experiences.  It is very interesting to read the thoughts and experiences of other collectors.

Thanks Fortress_Maximus! ;) 

To be honest, it's very hard to admit if anyone would quit or not. Basically, what we experiencing is already an addiction. As of now, I really don't know if I should sell some stuff to make room or just keep on hoarding -- err, I mean collecting. ^_^ But like I said earlier, due to my age and priorities, I'm bound to exit this sooner or later.

29 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I agree.  I also would like to know what folks are planning on doing with all of their loot when it's lost its luster or the time comes for it or you to go?

In my mind, it's always been set up that my son will get everything after I'm gone or something to that effect. I don't know by that time, if he's still interested or not. But I will make sure that to let him know that if he doesn't want to keep it, it's up to him if he's going to sell it. But he or my wife has to make sure to check pricing on some stuff first.

I think it's really important to make a spreadsheet on items that has value so that they know if it's worth to sell it in certain amount. ;)

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I think it's really important to make a spreadsheet on items that has value so that they know if it's worth to sell it in certain amount. ;)

Oh he'll quit some day.....but Tenjin or someone else will be there to carry the Macross torch....Macross Forever! ;)

Good idea on the spreadsheet....the trick would be to keep it up to date....

Indeed jvmacross!  I previously suggested creating an inventory and using a spreadsheet to track the original prices paid, date of acquisition, and the condition.  Also for the super ambitious, I recommend adding a column for interested buyers (like a waitlist).  Granted the closest date might very well be 50 years from now, but life has an interesting way of changing our best laid plans.  :p

@ no3Ljm:  I am also around the same youthfulness as yourself and jvmacross.  I can envision exiting collecting Macross and collecting in general in the future, however, under what circumstances, for now must remain a mystery (even to me). :p

@ jvmacross:  Glad you have spoken with your loved ones already and made them aware of the value of your collection.  Honest communication is certainly helpful in so many financial and relationship aspects.

Just now, jvmacross said:

Good idea on the spreadsheet....the trick would be to keep it up to date....

My Spreadsheet the only way I know precisely what "mount holy-@!#%$-that's-a-lot-of-kits" actually consists of... [speaking of which, I actually started two kits today... I'll have to note that.] along with what my future collection will[may] one day contain.

This also allows me to see the money value my dreams represent in no uncertain terms... which assists me in resisting my "GOTTA HAS IT!" impulses...

I like the idea of taking inventory of everything I have....however, the actual "doing" it makes me quit before I even begin....just too much stuff....I think maybe taking pictures first would help me get started...at least the stuff that I have not posted on Macross World

12 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

@ seti88:  Can gunpla get expensive?  Tell us more about the pricing for collecting those items.

Its hard to summarise gunpla, because the scale and lines are very extensive...i can only say what i normally go for are the 1/100 Master Grades (MG's) / 1/144 High Grades (HG's) / 1/144 Real Grades (RG's) and the odd Super Deformed (SD) here and there.

1/100 MG's range 30~60usd, 1/144 HG's range approx 5~30usd and RG's abt 20~30 usd in general with exceptions around the each of the ranges.

Web- Exclusives are a different matter and you add abt a 30% mark-up to the regulars...

The HG's esp are like crack, cos on a lazy weekend, you can put one together in a few hours and end up with a realistic mecha display that fits on your tabletop/shelf!

Plus i thk if you look at the magnitude of gundam designs....its madness...

The HGUC list gives you a lil sense of the magnitude of gundam designs...http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/High_Grade_Universal_Century

10 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

That would be a sad day, i wonder if he is grooming anyone to continue his design legacy. Hate to not see any more valks evolving....

6 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

@ no3Ljm:  I am also around the same youthfulness as yourself and jvmacross.  I can envision exiting collecting Macross and collecting in general in the future, however, under what circumstances, for now must remain a mystery (even to me). :p

@ jvmacross:  Glad you have spoken with your loved ones already and made them aware of the value of your collection.  Honest communication is certainly helpful in so many financial and relationship aspects.

Glad you folks have shared with your loved ones the value of you collection, that's the one thing i still haven't done. :lol: They know i collect, but they don't know exactly how much it costs...^_^

But i did tell them, macross is my one of my vices (or is it the only one?) that i find it VERY DIFFICULT to say NO to, as i can be quite the spend thrift. So on that front i have indirectly HINTED to them! :lol::lol: 

That said, if it does become too expensive, although i might not say no, i realize the point.... no money no valk...:p 

Edited by seti88

I'll just lay it out there, I'm fully addicted collecting Macross toys. I also collect the Bandai Metal builds and some other various toys. I am getting to the point of no space and have pondered selling off some of the dupes I have just to get more space back. I am thinking about maybe exiting collecting Macross toys possibly after the SDF Macross HMR line, DX Chogokin Macross Delta line complete themselves. As far as Arcadia releases go I like the slow snails pace that they are taking to release valks as I always have something else coming in from various other mfg's. I am definitely getting another set of Max and Millia and the new SV-51 variants. After all that I may call it quits but we will see if this heroin addiction can be kicked, if anything I will be slowing down.

The new show better make me fall in love, I get the strange feeling it will be another show that may be catering to a newer audience like Delta tried to do. I don't have an attachment to Delta like I do the classic Macross series. You never know though, I have a Valkyrie fetish :lol:

Edited by Loop

On 6/16/2017 at 8:04 PM, slide said:

My Spreadsheet the only way I know precisely what "mount holy-@!#%$-that's-a-lot-of-kits" actually consists of... [speaking of which, I actually started two kits today... I'll have to note that.] along with what my future collection will[may] one day contain.

This also allows me to see the money value my dreams represent in no uncertain terms... which assists me in resisting my "GOTTA HAS IT!" impulses...

I wholeheartedly recommend using something like a spreadsheet to manage inventory. What line it's from, what model it is, where/when you got it, how much it you paid, current value, etc. I've already started one for my modest Macross collection. (My spreadsheets for my retro video games and vintage Lego sets are a bit longer. ;)) It's incredibly helpful to keep a reference of what you actually have, as well as a reminder of how much you've actually spent. If you're talking about handing down a collection in the case of an unforeseen event, it could also really benefit someone there. I've even considered if I ever got to a hard spot financially, I'd know how much I could potentially "cash out".

I quit collecting.   Now I want to dump pretty much everything.  

1/55s, 1/60s 1/48s.  I have boxes full of them.   I even have four M&Ms in each size I think I want to part with.  I also have lots of ROBOTECH stuff (Alphas, SDF-1, Zentraedi pods, etc.).

I will lose money overall, but they just sit in my closets in plastic tubs doing nothing so why have them?

I spent my life acquiring things with dreams of a nice display room    Now I just feel weighed down.

Edited by Skull-1

I have been meaning to do a bit of a spreadsheet too actually – even for insurance purposes. Do you guys have your collections insured? Unless it falls under the general 'House contents' insurance if you have it...

I've also been trying to be good and stick to a 'Things I want' shopping list, that's I promised my girlfriend i'd stick to... there has been a few sneaky impulse purchases though! hah. But i'm not far off it really. I also collect Transformers, with just the autobots from the first few episodes, and the original movie. Used to collect a bit of gundam stuff too (mainly anything Gundam Crossbone related I could get my filthy hands on) but i feel like i'm quite happy just displaying that stuff now. As for Macross, it's mostly been the 1/60s with a few 1/72 kits thrown in.

On the original question... I guess I've gone and come back, gone and come back again over the years. I've slowed recently as I am purchasing a house, but last year I did possibly over do it a bit. So keeping an eye to collect cool stuff without over doing it is mega important. But yeah I feel like i'll keep on collecting once there is another new series of Macross out.

Overall though, i'm just trying to stick to my shopping list that Macross wise i really only have the 1/60 Draken fast packs to get (already preordered) and maybe a 1/60 VF-30A if that ever comes out left to collect. Thinking about getting a couple 1/72 VF-30A... one to paint normally and another to do a YF-30 paint job on... We'll see... This of course depends on how much DIY my girlfriend wants on the house when we move in, haha!

1 hour ago, Skull-1 said:

I quit collecting.   Now I want to dump pretty much everything.  

1/55s, 1/60s 1/48s.  I have boxes full of them.   I even have four M&Ms in each size I think I want to part with.  I also have lots of ROBOTECH stuff (Alphas, SDF-1, Zentraedi pods, etc.).

I will lose money overall, but they just sit in my closets in plastic tubs doing nothing so why have them?

I spent my life acquiring things with dreams of a nice display room    Now I just feel weighed down.

Skull-1 = King of Kicking the Macross Habit

Good luck on your impending sale!