Remember Galaxy Rangers?

Anybody remember a show that ran from 1986 to 1989 called Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers?

Well, I talked an old friend into podcasting about it.  The results were pretty cool.

Click here to check it out!

Feel free to post questions and comments in this thread.  We'll be sure to check in and answer them.

banner5.jpg

Edited by RD Blade
Updated link

2 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Goose!

The episode(s) (if there was more than 1, it was definitely the first) with the Scarecrow were the best.

And Galaxy Rangers had one of the best intros ever.

-b.

Yup on all counts!

Here's the extended version of the title song:

Edited by pengbuzz

I credit myself on having watched just about every obscure 80's and early 90's cartoon.  How Galaxy Rangers escaped me, I have no idea.

Regarding Silverhawks, it's sad that the Thundercat's reboot on Cartoon Network failed because it actually alluded to shared universe with Silverhawks with Mum-ra as the big baddy.

Mon*Star was actually shown delivering a report to Mum-ra in one scene.

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Looks cool but I don't remember watching this growing up in the 80's.  There were too many awesome cartoons to watch.

There were so many choices.

Decades later I still miss waking up Saturday and Sunday morning having a literal block of cartoons that I wanted to watch. If you offered me a million dollars I could tell you what comes on Disney or Nickelodeon or whatever the kids have now.

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

Always LOVED their fighter craft. Still think it looks cool too.

Chris

Yep!

6 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Great show that was ahead of its time. One of my favorite non-imports.

QFT

And I should correct myself from earlier, it wasn't 'Goose' his name is Shane Gooseman.  :D

-b.

Never been a fan of Westerns, but this show had a cool fusion of sci-fi and Old West that worked well. I've only seen a handful of eps, as it came on a channel we didn't get when I was a teen, and I had to try and rabbit ear the station on the little B&W tv in my room, so reception was hit and miss. But it definitely made an impression, and I loved the idea of  the C-5 implant enhancing their innate capabilities. The animation was above par for the time, and Gooseman, a blatant Clint Eastwood caricature, was awesome. The main ongoing storyline of the team leader trying to find and rescue his wife was a novel sort of storytelling in animation back then (think of the running Alien plot in X-Files). Just a lot of goodness all around. And yeah, this show and Pole Position had two of the best opening theme songs. And Mighty Orbots, b/c catchy.  All three of these shows stood out to me as a kid due to the excellent Japanese animation, mature storylines, running plots with stand-alone eps, good music and overall production values. The 80's was such an awesome time to be a kid- the toys are much better today, but we were spoiled by all the various animated shows full of imagination and cool concepts that really only exists in Japan now. American animation in general has declined greatly, which is sad. I cherish the memories of all those shows and how they colored my childhood.

It is a monumental shame that Cartoon Network pulled the plug on the Thundercats show. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original, although I watched it, and have probably seen every ep. The new show was done so well; my wife and I both enjoyed it a lot, and were bummed when we learned it had been cancelled. What's worse, it was allegedly cancelled in favor of LEGO's Legends of Chima, which was terrible, IMHO, especially in light of Ninjago, which continues to be a well written and enjoyable show. I've hoped for years that the folks behind Thundercats would continue the story in graphic novel form, much as Avatar: The Last Airbender has continued. They had a whole season or two planned that never got animated, and that would have tied up various plotlines. A graphic novel or two would be welcome.

As for Silverhawks, I honestly never cared for that show as a kid. Perhaps watching it through older eyes might give a different (better?) perspective. IDK. Anyway, I was unaware of the tie-in in Thundercats. It's cool when stuff like that is inserted, and thanks for pointing it out, Mazinger.

Edited by M'Kyuun

5 hours ago, RD Blade said:

Goose is his nickname. Other characters call him that all the time. 

Ah - thank you!

*happy to know that I haven't forgotten all of the details from my childhood

-b.

That was one of the classics.

as far as modern U.S. greatnes, it all ended too soon. The cancellation of the new thundercats was sad, but at least young justice is supposed to make a comeback, and there's also samurai jack. Maybe there's still hope for the kitties.

I've posted a few times about Galaxy Rangers. It was one of those cool 80s cartoons with a great opening sequence. They put out a really nice two volume DVD set with illustrated booklets some time ago. I recall being upset that Animeigo couldn't do something even close for Bubblegum Crisis. Galaxy Rangers and Saber Rider had that cool Space Western thing going. I still search for cels and items for both shows on occasion. A Saber Rider game is supposed to be coming out but Galaxy Rangers interest seems to have died off. The Rangers website and forum went down some years ago. There were a few fansites but I haven't searched for those in a while. Perhaps they or the people moved to Facebook?

Back when the DVD sets came out there was talk about comics and other items. I got a few of the badges that they had at New York Comic Con. I think I saved some of the comic concept artwork. If I can find it, I'll post if people are interested.

5935d7d6d85b4_GalaxyRangersBadgeNYComicCon.jpg.79718dd22268ecd7b0803b3923408719.jpg

On 6/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, Mazinger said:

I credit myself on having watched just about every obscure 80's and early 90's cartoon.  How Galaxy Rangers escaped me, I have no idea.

Regarding Silverhawks, it's sad that the Thundercat's reboot on Cartoon Network failed because it actually alluded to shared universe with Silverhawks with Mum-ra as the big baddy.

Mon*Star was actually shown delivering a report to Mum-ra in one scene.

I can't remember the Thundercats reboot that much. I recall liking the first bunch of episodes and the art style. But kind of zoning out towards the end. Maybe I'll rewatch it someday. I can't remember that Silverhawks reference but I do remember the reboot getting kind of strange towards the end with I think some kind of tech tower.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I can't tell when you guys are pulling my leg, somebody thought this was good?  

Damn straight I did.

Especially as a 10 year old, and now as an adult looking through rose colored nostalgia glasses.

Don't come in here trying to ruin our trip down memory lane sir. :p

-b.

9 hours ago, Falcon said:

The animation quality for an 80's show was impressive.

Was it ever a Japanese show first or just using animators from around that region only?

I believe it was one of those American made but animated in Japan cartoons. The animation quality did change during some episodes so I don't know if it was a lesser Japanese team that did some episodes or an animation company from another country. Many modern anime are like that at times when you can see there is a different team working on episodes. There is a website that pointed out the differences between some of the Saber Rider episodes that were made for US audiences. Like how April looks a bit different compared to the Japanese version.

I thought I had more Galaxy Rangers comic stuff saved but I could only find this Niko image so far.

5936d25c157ee_Galaxy_Rangers_Niko__Voyager_Comic_Justin_Norman.jpg.ab041009f4dbcd484cffb03c36af1f83.jpg

Other images might be still unsorted as I'm behind on stuff.

Edited by JetJockey

That Miko image is nice!  Please post more if you find them.

JetJockey, you are correct.  It was a US-made show that was animated in Japan.  Animation changes and errors were because of the enormous workload that was placed on TMS, the animation studio.  They cranked out 65 episodes in an 11 month period!  The work was split up and TMS divided up into teams to tackle the project.  So naturally, the show producers couldn't always have the A-team assigned to every episode.

Also, listen to the podcast.  Much of this info is in there.  We tried to drop some knowledge while keeping it fun.

Next: Silverhawks. Huh? Huh?

I'm sure Silverhawks will come up in a future episode.  So will Robotech, Macross, MOSPEADA, Thundercats, Spiral Zone, etc.  We're huge fans of 80's shows and anime.  That stuff will always bleed into our discussions.

Edited by RD Blade
Updated link

• 3 weeks later...

Episode 2, "New Frontier" is up!  This one is shorter because of the lack of introductions.  Still jammed full of fun.  Also, there's an after-credits Marvel-style bonus!  Yo Joe!

Check it out HERE !

Follow us on Twitter for updates

Website coming soon to:

www.series6podcast.com

Edited by RD Blade
Updated link

Very nice work, keep it going!

I was and still am a huge fan of Gooseman's character. His ranger power being based on a super immune system is a brilliant idea and his Clint Eastwood looks did the rest. I also love the fighter craft, the design was somewhat reminiscent of the Galactica Vipers but so much sleeker. I did some Goose fanart a few years back and remember noticing how the fighter's design was kind of looking like a buffalo or goat skull you'd see in those 70's western movies. 

5 hours ago, Frogze said:

Very nice work, keep it going!

I did some Goose fanart a few years back and remember noticing how the fighter's design was kind of looking like a buffalo or goat skull you'd see in those 70's western movies. 

Thanks! I have to finish this piece because our main image doesn't belong to us. I asked the creator about it, but haven't heard back.  I'd rather have my own work on the site, anyway.

That's a pretty awesome observation!  I'll mention it on a future episode.