Wonderfest vs Wonderfestival

Kylwell

Wonderfest, once a year in Louisville Kentucky. Wonder Festival, twice a year in Japan.

Now, how do we educate the rest of the board?

Just drives me nuts hearing people chat about X model that was available @ Summer Wonderfest, when they mean Wonder Festival.

I didn't know there was a 'WonderFest' in Kentucky. Good to know. ;)

I guess, the best way to do this is it's either we mention WonderFest USA as WonderFest and the Japan one as WonderFest JPN. But for sure, members sure will forget to put the country acronym down the line so I think we can call the Japan one as WonFes (ワンフェスWanfesu) as commonly known to the Japanese for short for Tokyo Wonder Festival. ^_^

Does the one in the US have limited releases items pertaining to Macross like the ones in Japan?

Just curious to know.  It seems that people would associate Wonderfest to the ones in Japan more than the US one hence just naming it Wondefest.  I thought it was common to call it Wonderfest (season). Maybe I'll refer to them as WF 20xx (season) to avoid confusion.

Limited releases, yes. Licensed, not so much. 2 days instead of one. Model contest along with vendors, How-To classes, presentations, and special displays.

Curious though. Do we really need to start and be bothered by what's what? I mean, I seldom see infos posted on the one from Kentucky and when people discuss new stuff in the Toy Section, they mostly aware that new news always comes from WonFes (Japan) based on what's being posted. And since we're posting Twitter links now that comes with link previews (thanks to the new forum board scripts), then it's obvious that it came from WonFes and not WonderFest.

I sometimes watch the videos uploaded by stevethefishdotnet. He is a non-Japanese modeler in Japan.

He posted the video about the Woder Fest in Kentucky last year on Youtube.

He often goes to the Wonder Festival in Makuhari, too. He experiences both events and upload the movies.

Hope these ones help you to recognize the difference from each of them.

Well you should as it's the largest Scifi/Fantasy/Horror scale modeling how in on the continent. Some amazing stuff shows up both in the contest room and from dealers. As soon as I get them downloaded I'll post some images.

Edited by Kylwell

Sounds interesting- photos would be good. Do they have a big Macross section?

Japan's the only one I know and I think it's one that is recognised internationally- the creativity and great designs has left quite an impression on the international scene.

I'm working on getting my pictures up, with 746 entries it'll take me a bit.

Edited by Kylwell
hadn't finnished

WF, WonderFest, Wonder Festival, I don't think there's much difference between those three. I've seen all three terms used to refer to the Japanese one, know there's a festival of the same name in the US, but if the name comes up on a European forum chances are the Japanese one(s*) are meant...

* Summer and Winter.

The point remains,  WonderFest most likely means the Japanese Wonder Festival on this forum and is not incorrect since it is frequently called "WonderFest" the world round. If you want to speak about the Kentucky event, you need to specify. This is not unexpected since the folks in Kentucky used a nickname of a different event for their event. It'd be like you starting a South Dakota Comic Convention and calling it Comic Con and then being upset that people didn't specify the San Diego event. 

This post should've been a poll. To ask if someone is familiar with the Kentucky one. Because, I for one, didn't know it until this post. So for me, when WonderFest is concern I always think of the Japan one.