10 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Yeah... I'm trying to get more into this mentality.  I still have nowhere near what your collection was at its height, but as mine grows the reality that either:

A) I have to sell things

or

B) I have to stop collecting

is setting in.  This is more of a personal approach, because I could just keep getting things and storing them and what not.  But I don't really like that; if I own it, I want to be able to display it.

So I'm starting to think that you keep things for a while, then after you've enjoyed it, eventually sell it and move on.  Maybe keep a few of your absolute favorites.

I'm still a-ways away from having to sell things, but I'm getting more used to the idea.  Or I might just sort of freeze my collection in time, and move on to something else.

I agree. It's every collector's dilemma. It would be fine if one is just collecting Valkyries and nothing in-between. Imagine a collector who has everything? And I'm a little bit of both. And yes, I' running out of space and eventually, I might dive in and see what I can sell and just keep the ones I really like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2010 at 4:02 AM, eugimon said:

still in the process of moving in so pardon the mess

_DSC3207.jpg

Here you can see what happens to a house plant when left outside overnight in 30 degree weather. And a bunch of books and a lot of Primes.

_DSC3208.jpg

Wall of valkryies with exploding shoulders.

_DSC3209.jpg

some other stuff

This entire set up is my dream.  Toys, books, and a place to write.  Love this set up.  I have something similar, but just not the space to play with.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Consolidated and updated my office display.

Macross_Display_Office1.thumb.jpg.f54712dea8c5244013050ccde207ed8f.jpg

A lot of this will be transfered to my home display once I get that all setup.

Great contrast in scales.  I've been thinking about going the other way (moving stuff from home to office).  I'm kind of concerned about cleaning staff, etc.  Has anything ever really happened to your set up at the office?  Or is it a private office?

Thanks! I'll end up rotating what I have where but I had three billy shelves in my office that I moved home for more storage and display space there. I have a private office and ever since I started displaying the expensive stuff there, I've kept my door locked and just clean the room myself. I have forgot to lock the door and left it wide open a few times but had no issues.

38 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Thanks! I'll end up rotating what I have where but I had three billy shelves in my office that I moved home for more storage and display space there. I have a private office and ever since I started displaying the expensive stuff there, I've kept my door locked and just clean the room myself. I have forgot to lock the door and left it wide open a few times but had no issues.

I would love to get my hands on the valks on the middle shelf... :D

where do you work again? XD

• 1 month later...

Work in progress... after much procrastination, I had finally bought the dioder LED sets and installed them in my detolf array. Two more arrays to be added on the right, and I need to get some cable organizers for the massive tangled spaghetti of cables on the right side. 

D4E5D702-3A54-42B9-AED8-87DDFDDD8DB3.jpeg

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Great display of different series and scales.

Thanks, this is something that I have wanted to do for years. Shame that I didn’t get into collecting in the Yamato era and the F renewal years, and had to buy those at secondary market prices. 

1 hour ago, Xigfrid said:

@rdrunner your display looks super great with these leds. Are these the official IKea led stripes?

Thanks, yes they are the ikea LED stripes (Dioder). I have tried several configs before, and shamelessly copied Saburo’s setup. The placement of the LEDs in front works well, because both the front and top of the valks will get light. Alternatively (and at double the cost) you can consider putting one on each side (what I call a “11” config), that would light up each section equally. 

Edited by rdrunner

10 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Haha thanks, the hardest parts about collecting are the wallet, and smuggling my purchases home without the wife noticing. :lol:

I love how the hardest part is smuggling it past your wife, but not displaying it.  Presumably she can't tell the difference with all those valkyries on display? :) 

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

Thanks, yes they are the ikea LED stripes (Dioder). I have tried several configs before, and shamelessly copied Saburo’s setup. The placement of the LEDs in front works well, because both the front and top of the valks will get light. Alternatively (and at double the cost) you can consider putting one on each side (what I call a “11” config), that would light up each section equally. 

When I first glanced at it, I thought it was Saburo lol.  Beautiful set up and thanks for sharing!  I think I will try the dioder's on my next detolf.  I have led strips on my lone detolf and the light is a bit cold for my liking.  Are you using the multi-color one?