Macross Collection Display Thread

KiriK

Nice diplay @Grimgerde , I personally had to use two types of material to make "ends" meet, and still have smooth operation. Maybe your process is better? Do you have any difficulty opening and closing the doors? Does it seal well? Have you done the sound test? It should significantly lower the sound to the exterior if it is well done. In any case, great collection, and great work!

Wow @tekering came out swinging, after @Saburo posted some nice pictures too. Totally kidding, you guys are amazing, and i can not say enough how much i like your photography work. My hat off to you all, and please keep them coming. I will have my mini studio running again in the future, and i will share some of mine too. Not awesome like yours, but i am learning and trying to take better pics. 

Edited by vlenhoff

1 minute ago, Grey728 said:

Are they really that bad at keeping dust out? Dust proofing is essentially a requirement?

Well better than being out in the open but I’ve done some home improvements in the same room and I’m sure wood dust made its way in. 

2 hours ago, Grey728 said:

Are they really that bad at keeping dust out? Dust proofing is essentially a requirement?

It is not a requirement at all. I personally got sick of dusting my entire displayed collection. I can no longer see the film of dust every two weeks in my display. It’s been a few months now, and it’s still clean. It does take some time to do it properly, but it pays off in the long run, imho.

9 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Nice diplay @Grimgerde , I personally had to use two types of material to make "ends" meet, and still have smooth operation. Maybe your process is better? Do you have any difficulty opening and closing the doors? Does it seal well? Have you done the sound test? It should significantly lower the sound to the exterior if it is well done. In any case, great collection, and great work!

I would not describe my method as optimal. I have a great seal all around, but the compromise came on the door edges, where - in order to get a seal - I needed to align the adhesive strips so close to the door that it interferes with a clean opening of the door. It doesn't prevent it, but it scrapes the strips. On one of my four cabinets things were particularly stubborn since the door-side glass warps out a bit. Also on that one I had to add another magnet to the top of the cabinet since the stock magnet was no longer strong enough to "latch" the door due to the strips.

All my detolfs have a slightly different door snugness/ease of use. That was before the dust proofing, so I am not suprised each cabinet was slightly different with the door-edge stripping.

On a positive note, the LED strips seem to adhere to that stripping far better than the glass of the detolf for some reason.

Edited by Grimgerde

It took me two tries to get it right. I had to use a combination of rubber and weatherstrip. So it would close properly, and still have contact between the rubber and the weather strip. I am sure it is not perfect, but i did put my cellphone inside of it while playing music, and it reduced the sound considerably. Compared to the detolf next to it that wasn't dust proof at the time. Apparently if dust proofing is done well, it should block sound quite a bit. [or so i read]. I just checked the displays with a lamp, and it has only a few dust particles here and there. It has been months since i did this, and it is really helping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL4AATS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076F7T33Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

247170918_detolfdustproof2.thumb.jpg.a8b905f0d228d46645f5a3d34ce3bf12.jpg246010441_detolfdustproof3.thumb.jpg.d286a0dd7221fb010fd494cea7730b46.jpg

1491164287_detolfdustproof1.thumb.jpg.b93d67d5f60dbbf80f9ee14d69457160.jpg1478732418_detolfdustproof4.thumb.jpg.b594702d4a1f5efef69d5885dac530e5.jpg

On 8/8/2019 at 12:23 AM, Saburo said:

Now that all the Delta Valks are released its time to reorganize my display.

F57D9B59-76D6-4F48-9B1D-A91F12054C80.thumb.jpeg.35a4423751af861ef713601a63818703.jpeg

I can't express into words how much i love these fighter formation shots. I don't have a single Macross Frontier or Delta valks, but man, they look so awesome in fighter mode! Are these as fun to transform as the VF-1 are?

6 hours ago, HayateAltoHunter said:

I was finally able to get stuff arranged 

Classy!! Nice touch with the 1J banner, mine is still folded :cray:

Is that a back lit wall, or a window? If its a wall, how did you backlight it over a large area?

Edited by seti88

7 hours ago, HayateAltoHunter said:

I was finally able to get stuff arranged 

E392E11B-4760-476A-85C9-3369ACB502EC.jpeg

Love the way the VFs angle down and center for the most part. The best is seeing all those different stands doing the same angle depending on which side you look at.

Reminds me that there is no need to collect the same stand. Variety is good.

Great display!!!

....and thank you.

1 hour ago, vlenhoff said:

@Slave IV I keep thinking that Boba Fett is about to fly through the glass. I've always wanted one of those.

It’s  the only Hot Toys I own. Had to have it!

i also love the various display stands @HayateAltoHunter used, especially the hybrid DX/Yeti. Not a fan of every Valk angled the same way because I prefer the variety to continue with the poses but I totally get what was going for. Very nicely done. 

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

It’s  the only Hot Toys I own. Had to have it!

i also love the various display stands @HayateAltoHunter used, especially the hybrid DX/Yeti. Not a fan of every Valk angled the same way because I prefer the variety to continue with the poses but I totally get what was going for. Very nicely done. 

i want a single Hot Toys in the Future. It is either... Luke... or Boba... Luke... or boba...

Edited by vlenhoff

10 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

i want a single Hot Toys in the Future. It is either... Luke... or Boba... Luke... or boba...

Luke is just some guy. I've never been big on action figures of regular looking people. I get the significance of the charater but the characters with the cool armor, alien or robotic designs are always more appealing to me. Boba all the way.

That being said, I am unlikely to buy any more Hot Toys...they look great but overall, not the quality and playability I was hoping for at the price they charge.

5 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

How dare you!

A whiny guy at that!:D ....Similar reason I'd much rather collect Valks than figures of the characters that fly them. When I was a kid, all my normal human looking action figures were cannon fooder and the badasses in masked outfits would be the victors. Usually ended up being between Snake Eyes and Boba Fett.

Edited by Slave IV

13 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

A whiny guy at that!:D ....Similar reason I'd much rather collect Valks than figures of the characters that fly them. When I was a kid, all my normal human looking action figures were cannon fooder and the badasses in masked outfits would be the victors. Usually ended up being between Snake Eyes and Boba Fett.

A whiny no-one who becomes a powerful jedi, and saves his dad while also saving the galaxy.

Shall I count the number of seconds Boba appears in the OT?

Totally kidding, I love both characters!

Edited by vlenhoff

2 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

A whiny no-one who becomes a powerful jedi, and saves his dad while also saving the galaxy.

Shall I count the number of seconds Boba appears in the OT?

Totally kidding, I love both characters!

Just get Boba and put in in a display case with your Macross stuff so you can post it here.:D 

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Just get Boba and put in in a display case with your Macross stuff so you can post it here.:D 

As tempting as that sounds, I still haven't made my mind up. Luke was my greatest hero growing up, other than Superman, I guess. I really want to find a good example, at some point. See that's the trick, Mark Hamill's face is hard to capture. So i am waiting for the one that best resembles him. 

4 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

As tempting as that sounds, I still haven't made my mind up. Luke was my greatest hero growing up, other than Superman, I guess. I really want to find a good example, at some point. See that's the trick, Mark Hamill's face is hard to capture. So i am waiting for the one that best resembles him. 

So get Boba now and Luke when a good enough one emerges. :D

Just messing with ya;)

I just impulse ordered Kaname to complete my Walkure collection so as a preview of what’s to come, some pics of my old Delta Display with Walkure

Macross_Delta_Makina_DSC06515.jpg.fa2f3fd0d3ddbd8e1c1ba23cfeaaa8a7.jpg04B9E7F9-A32F-48FB-B739-47770965B658.thumb.jpeg.e4903b9b2387bf8195c788c2afcb63f6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...