Macross Collection Display Thread

KiriK

6 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

That feeling when the Valkyries are the cheapest thing on the shelf?

OMG, that's so true! Books are expensive... especially college textbooks.

No... wait... the 4-color pen is technically the cheapest thing on the shelf. *whew* 

3 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

OMG, that's so true! Books are expensive... especially college textbooks.

No... wait... the 4-color pen is technically the cheapest thing on the shelf. *whew* 

I've still got a few boxes of expensive kindling college textbooks. Quite heavy, but I can't really bear to throw out something that cost so much, even if it is worthless.

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I've still got a few boxes of expensive kindling college textbooks. Quite heavy, but I can't really bear to throw out something that cost so much, even if it is worthless.

I've been out of school for almost 20 years now, but I hung on to all my Computer Science books for this reason too. Although, I pull one out (especially my Database books) every now and then to look something up. So maybe you're not hanging on to them in vain?

I have a bunch of outdated Oracle and Java reference books that I use as makeshift monitor stands at work though, and I really could use them as kindling in an emergency! :lol:

On 5/31/2018 at 7:26 AM, Shizuka the Cat said:

When a girl's academic life and Macross life collide... or when she runs out of shelf space.

image.png.bdd106abd3384d9d28ba7afb72800f2f.png

At least you got a proper shelf. Never had one, and I now forget how my books were stored when I was college. Though I wonder, would I have gotten better grades if I had some valkyries for inspiration?

Answer: Probably not :lol:

3 hours ago, hachi said:

At least you got a proper shelf. Never had one, and I now forget how my books were stored when I was college. Though I wonder, would I have gotten better grades if I had some valkyries for inspiration?

Answer: Probably not :lol:

If valkyries could improve grades, I would have started collecting years ago.

For undergrad, I had a 4.6 / 5.0 GPA.  With MIT using 4.0 as a B, 4.3 a B+, 4.7 an A-, and 5.0 an A..... I was effectively a B+ student back then. *sigh*  (I can already remember getting chewed out by my tiger mom).   It was times like those when I envied the grade inflation over at Harvard, where almost every student gets As thanks to grade "curving" and instructors wanting to avoid drama from parents.  Gotta love those Ivies that are hard to get into, but easy to get straight As in.

At least I got straight As during my masters, and currently have straight As in my PhD program.... but then again, grad school tends to be easier as your entire curriculum focuses on your chosen field, unlike undergrad where you have to take a spectrum of courses that are not in your wheelhouse.... like humanities and biology in my case. So your grad school GPA should be higher.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, spanner said:

My downsized Macross collection! From a once 130 strong down to a mere 34.. I do very much get a sense of quality rather than quantity. But most of all I am quite content.

20180629_142609.jpg

That's still a damn good looking collection spanner! B))

50 minutes ago, spanner said:

My downsized Macross collection! From a once 130 strong down to a mere 34.. I do very much get a sense of quality rather than quantity. But most of all I am quite content.

20180629_142609.jpg

What?! No more triplets aside from Kairos and Brownie? :shok:

@spanner I like that all of the VF-1 Battroids have gun straps.  The VF-1D Gerwalk pose with Minmay is cool.  So is the VF-1A Cavaliers with Super Parts.  Emerald Force is looking great up top.  The HMR Monster looks good at the bottom.  No more VF-17S/D, VF-25G or YF-21?  You didn’t want to keep at least 1 VF-1 from DYRL?

6 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

That's still a damn good looking collection spanner! B))

Why thank you!

6 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Beautiful collection!

And thank you!

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

What?! No more triplets aside from Kairos and Brownie? :shok:

Yeah other than the two lots that really count! These are the best ones! 

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

@spanner I like that all of the VF-1 Battroids have gun straps.  The VF-1D Gerwalk pose with Minmay is cool.  So is the VF-1A Cavaliers with Super Parts.  Emerald Force is looking great up top.  The HMR Monster looks good at the bottom.  No more VF-17S/D, VF-25G or YF-21?  You didn’t want to keep at least 1 VF-1 from DYRL?

I think all of my VF-1's have gun straps except for the VF-1D.. though I can easily fit one on to it also.

Yeah got rid of a lot of others I felt I just didn't need. I'm happy with what's on display.

Nahh I have always preferred the TV versions so it was easy to let all the DYRL stuff go.

The only thing I kinda regret not having now is a 25A with supers but I do still have the Prophecy with supers which is just as nice!

9 hours ago, CF18 said:

Good to know that Ikea KLINGSBO is great fit for 1:60 without stand.  Can it be dust proofed like a Detolf?

They are a tight fit for some of the larger Valkyries when in Battroid but they work quite well. If each shelf was a half inch taller it would have been perfect! I have seen a few idea on how to make them more dust proof but haven't tried many. Probably the easiest way to reduce the problem is to not have any carpet in your home! I'd love to rip up all the old carpet in exchange for floor boards! But that's an expense I can't manage atm.. maybe one day.

6 hours ago, sumyumgoy said:

Looks beautiful @spanner, nice presentation!  Where did you get the gun straps?  Just noticed the artwork at the base too, very cool.

Thanks! The gun straps I bought from a member here DarrinG who made them. Though he stopped making them a while back now..

The artwork on the bases are just stickers i bought from ebay and had made up. The 30th anniversary are from eBay and the gerwalk since 82 I got a mate of mine to do. They definitely help glam up the cabinets! 

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I've always coveted @spanner's artwork at the bottom of his Klingsbo's -- I need one like that for my Mospeada Klingsbo! B))  Collection looks nice Spanner!  Nice and clean.

I'll have a look if I have any left over stickers and send you one if I do ok. :D

7 minutes ago, spanner said:

They are a tight fit for some of the larger Valkyries when in Battroid but they work quite well. If each shelf was a half inch taller it would have been perfect! I have seen a few idea on how to make them more dust proof but haven't tried many. Probably the easiest way to reduce the problem is to not have any carpet in your home! I'd love to rip up all the old carpet in exchange for floor boards! But that's an expense I can't manage atm.. maybe one day.

Thanks! The gun straps I bought from a member here DarrinG who made them. Though he stopped making them a while back now..

The artwork on the bases are just stickers i bought from ebay and had made up. The 30th anniversary are from eBay and the gerwalk since 82 I got a mate of mine to do. They definitely help glam up the cabinets! 

I'll have a look if I have any left over stickers and send you one if I do ok. :D

Carpet is filthy so yeah, I definitely recommend anything else but I can tell you I have all wood floors in my house and things still get dusty so it's not an issue of carpets. Dust comes from people, the the air all around and outside so it depends more on your area and how much activity in in your house. Carpet will just collect dust but won't create it. 

14 hours ago, spanner said:

I was going to suggest JYSK Jaala as an alternative but it seems to be just discontinued, and JYSK is not available everywhere like Ikea.

As for dust proofing, this kind of seal may work.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Self-Adhesive-Silicone-Rubber-Seal-Weatherstripping-Door-Sweep-Draught-Excluders/182525886783

On 29/6/2018 at 1:39 AM, spanner said:

20180629_142609.jpg

That's an awesome collection!!!!!

I would only add a 1/60 YF-21:lol:

21 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Carpet is filthy so yeah, I definitely recommend anything else but I can tell you I have all wood floors in my house and things still get dusty so it's not an issue of carpets. Dust comes from people, the the air all around and outside so it depends more on your area and how much activity in in your house. Carpet will just collect dust but won't create it. 

Yeah it filthy and I hate it.. and yes dust comes from people but also as old carpet breaks down from age and wear it also creates dust particles. I did get some quotes for wood flooring both real and the fake stuff but it was pretty expensive. I don't want to commit to that expense for where I'm living now as I do eventually want to move from here. 

7 hours ago, CF18 said:

I was going to suggest JYSK Jaala as an alternative but it seems to be just discontinued, and JYSK is not available everywhere like Ikea.

As for dust proofing, this kind of seal may work.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Self-Adhesive-Silicone-Rubber-Seal-Weatherstripping-Door-Sweep-Draught-Excluders/182525886783

I have seen a few dust proofing products but most aren't very suitable to the Klingsbo cabinets.. I'll check out that link you posted though. Thanks!

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

That would mean Spanner needs to contact back the member whom he sold his YF-21 to. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

That's an awesome collection!!!!!

I would only add a 1/60 YF-21:lol:

Hehe! Yeah as Noel mentioned, I just sold off all of my 21 & 22.. and I don't want them back.  And ditto to what easnoddy said below. If I farted too loudly near the cabinet they were in the landing gear would collapse! LOL! 

2 hours ago, easnoddy said:

Yamato 21/22 are frustrating toys, modes other than fighter are a pain to pose and the rear landing gear collapse from a butterfly flutter.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Better yet @spanner get some of the Valkyries back.  Some of the shelf space can still be utilized for a few more.  B))

Right! Any spare shelf space I might have is for incoming Delta and DX YF-19 Valkyries!

14 minutes ago, spanner said:

Yeah it filthy and I hate it.. and yes dust comes from people but also as old carpet breaks down from age and wear it also creates dust particles. I did get some quotes for wood flooring both real and the fake stuff but it was pretty expensive. I don't want to commit to that expense for where I'm living now as I do eventually want to move from here. 

I have seen a few dust proofing products but most aren't very suitable to the Klingsbo cabinets.. I'll check out that link you posted though. Thanks!

Hehe! Yeah as Noel mentioned, I just sold off all of my 21 & 22.. and I don't want them back.  And ditto to what easnoddy said below. If I farted too loudly near the cabinet they were in the landing gear would collapse! LOL! 

Right! Any spare shelf space I might have is for incoming Delta and DX YF-19 Valkyries!

Yeah, probably not worth the cost if you plan on moving soon. If you own and plan to sell on the other hand, might be worth the investment. Good point about carpet possibly breaking up and creating more dust. Main point is, a good sealed cabinet helps to protect your collection. My details is full of dust, my billy with glass doors and no seal is pretty dust free.