Macross Collection Display Thread

KiriK

10 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

For anyone interested in adding a shelf or shelves to their IKEA Detolf. I bought a locker shelf from Amazon that includes two essentially upside U shaped legs for this purpose and it came out great. I secured it with Velcro tie wraps around the leg and the internal wire frame of Detolf. I also put rubber pads on top of each support to grip the glass shelf.

IMG_5153.thumb.JPG.885fc6e0e3d764a4f81dcbfd8c495e87.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG.c18617b1716577b4226be795d029424c.JPG

With the shelf on its 100% sturdy and not going anywhere.

IMG_5156.thumb.JPG.71377b42faeedf2a91e9836f07d21b85.JPG

So where do you get the actual extra shelf?  Well I wound up with three extra Detolf shelves as one of the metal rod frames was bent so when I called IKEA they actually just sent me the whole box that includes all the pieces with that part (Detolfs come in two separate boxes with different pieces). So I had the two glass sides and three glass shelves in addition to part I needed. So I made three additional shelves. I'm going to add a few more later. There are online places you can order pieces of glass from cut to your size specs which is where I'll get additional shelves from. Or also IKEA makes extra glass shelves for their "Billy" bookshelves that are not the same size (slightly smaller) but can also fit they're just not as deep. 

Cool but am I the only one confused about what I'm looking at? It's really hard to tell how the shelves are setup in the detolf and I'm not even sure I'm looking at a detolf.

9 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Cool but am I the only one confused about what I'm looking at? It's really hard to tell how the shelves are setup in the detolf and I'm not even sure I'm looking at a detolf.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Great figures are in here, but they get lost because everything is crowed together. Just my personal tastes that show casing your figures is the ultimate presentation and representation of that character. Your pieces are art and in turn they should be displayed as such. Each having their own space and place in the case. 

I am going to rearrange everything but this was just after I put shelf in. This picture might better illustrate.

IMG_5156.thumb.JPG.730f70d1443e44586769bf4066244e36.JPG

I'm not recommending anyone to do this unles it makes sense for their display. I see some ppl using a whole Detolf to display a total of 4 Hot Toys figures and that's cool. I personally have to make use of all the room I can as to do a display like that with all that I have I'd need about 500 Detolfs lol.  It also appears more crowded as I have the door closed in these pics and there is also a Detolf behind this one. I have 4 of them in middle of the room side by side and back to back facing away from each other. 

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

9 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

I am going to rearrange everything but this was just after I put shelf in. This picture might better illustrate.

IMG_5156.thumb.JPG.730f70d1443e44586769bf4066244e36.JPG

I'm not recommending anyone to do this unles it makes sense for their display. I see some ppl using a whole Detolf to display a total of 4 Hot Toys figures and that's cool. I personally have to make use of all the room I can as to do a display like that with all that I have I'd need about 500 Detolfs lol.  It also appears more crowded as I have the door closed in these pics and there is also a Detolf behind this one. I have 4 of them in middle of the room side by side and back to back facing away from each other. 

Ah, it makes more sense now but it still doesn't even look like a detolf to me. Maybe it's the lights, reflections and other things behind it that are throwing me off.

I totally get your need for space and filling in what you have. Thanks for clarifying and seems to work well.

42 minutes ago, Kicker773 said:

Everyone confused because it isn’t a detolf, more a combined detolf. Some countries have something similar to a detolf but clearly that’s a wider detolf causing confusion for everyone. 

No it's a regular Detolf just like you have. I have 4 total in this room. Two next to each other facing one way and behind those two, two more next to each other behind them facing other way. The lights and close up of pic are confusing everyone.  Those clamps are also a good idea and I considered something like that as well but I didn't want to risk clamps slipping. Looks great though. 

1 minute ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Kicker.... do you need a wife? I can think of someone who will love, honor, and cherish your valkyries... I mean you....  til your death does us part.

<|~~~ blushin *wink* but I’m locked in thank you 

3 minutes ago, jenius said:

That's awesome, a flight of Angelbirds is a thing of beauty.

I thought you saw these pics jenius, I don’t remember if I’ve posted these already. I thought I did. They are quiet a site to behold, now picture that but instead of Angelbirds, All Low Viz (•.~) . Working on that when I dust the 1/48. Suggestions on trying to get a printed mock up of an 1/48 carrier deck?