Macross Collection Display Thread

KiriK

1 minute ago, Pat S said:

Haha, yeah, just to prove the VF-1D is ok, and because it's probably my favorite.  More pics.

This is the bookstand the Detolfs are standing on.  It is sturdy enough.  I jumped up and down on it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-5-Cube-Organizer/462633549

Nice 1D!

Lol, at first I was thinking your detolfs didn't look that high!

I only have one in a corner so I'll have to find something else. Thanks and great collection you have!

Are those Gundams PG? Always had my eye on the PG Zeta. One of my favorites because it has a fairly sleek "fighter" mode compared to the usual terrible Gundam transformations. Well, sleek by Gundam standards anyway. :rolleyes:

But then again, the Bandai Frontier kits have made me wary of transforming models...

All the ones on the bottom are PGs except the Zeong on the far left. 

The PG Zeta, hmm, I love it, but it's not very dynamic.  It's not like a toy transformation at all.  It's more like carefully moving a part at a time so you don't break anything.  I actually picked up another Zeta just to keep in Waverider (and have extra parts), so there's your answer, don't get it for the transformation.

All my PGs need some tune-ups.  The joints are all lose.  Fingers pop off all the time.  Most of them can't hold their guns up high.  Maybe I'll try taking them apart one by one and fixing them. 

Good eye.  So, the outer cabinets are Detolfs, and the inner cabinets are Detolf knockoffs I found on Amazon.  Here's the ones I have, but I paid less than they are at now.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IN9BRC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are not exactly the same as detolfs.  The inner bar frames are much thicker, and they use a different system to mount the shelf glass.  I got them because IKEA is over 300 miles away from me now.

The center is open on the center 2 cabinets.  This is the standard mod where you don't install glass on the sides of two of the cabinets, then put them next to each other.   Yes, all 4 of them have closing doors.

Edited by Pat S

^ Well, to keep dust down, the more sealed the better.  People pick the IKEA Detolf in part I believe because they are cheap.  I haven't checked lately, but they used to be like $70.  The problem is, you have to have an Ikea nearby otherwise they charge something ridiculous like $200 to ship. 

Mine don't seem to be that bad, but I've heard others say they hate the dust on theirs.  It's something to consider. 

Even things like having a central air vent near your display can add to the problem.  I used to have mine near the entryway to the house.  They got a little dusty there.  Now they're in a room with the least amount of use in the house.  

I've never had displays side by side before, so I hope I don't have to dust in between them much.  That... could be... a pain.:unsure:

21 minutes ago, Pat S said:

Mine don't seem to be that bad, but I've heard others say they hate the dust on theirs.  It's something to consider. 

Even things like having a central air vent near your display can add to the problem.  I used to have mine near the entryway to the house.  They got a little dusty there.  Now they're in a room with the least amount of use in the house.  

I've never had displays side by side before, so I hope I don't have to dust in between them much.  That... could be... a pain.:unsure:

You could do the mod where you remove the separating walls inside to create a shelf that spans across all the detolfs.

20 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

You could do the mod where you remove the separating walls inside to create a shelf that spans across all the detolfs.

It hadn't occurred to me that they can stand with only the backglass and the door, but now that I think about it, of course they will.  I'll have to take them down and remove more glass.  Maybe I'll get some help this time instead of doing it myself.  :o

24 minutes ago, Pat S said:

It hadn't occurred to me that they can stand with only the backglass and the door, but now that I think about it, of course they will.  I'll have to take them down and remove more glass.  Maybe I'll get some help this time instead of doing it myself.  :o

Look forward to updated pics. :)

Every light is going to be different.  Lots of LEDS put out noticeable heat, but it's deffinitely less than an old filament lightbulb. 

I just took some temp gun readings on my stuff.  It's 66F degrees in the display room.  The 1 watt led spotlights were 92F at their hottest spot (on the lights metal body).  My PG Gundam shield 3 inches away was 68 degrees.  The valks at the top were 66. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 7:07 AM, Valkyrie Driver said:

I'm looking for an inexpensive display solution. One that keeps dust down preferably, dusting my collection, and having it scattered about is a bit annoying...

this is what I got recently: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30342078/

it's roughly the width of 3 Detolf cabinets but it comes out to about $120 more than buying 3 Detolf.  They keep dust out great so far.

Edited by ZorClone

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Since it was pointed out that no one's posted here in months and I just freed my armored 25F from its Magneto prison, here's a bump! :)

What a coincidence, I took my VF-25F out of the display case to check the joints and dust it. :lol:

He He He.. You can thank me for that push @Lolicon for the incentive for more valk pics.  :p

@Valkyrie Driver: If you want a budget friendly option then you can get the Brimnes cabinet (with the Glass doors) for $99 USD [that's $129 CND for us Canuckle heads]*  or the Billy/Oxford bookcase (with the glass door option) for $149 USD or $135 CND. It all depends of how many valks you have in your collection..

*Note the Wolverine reference as per the Marvel Comics series.

Edit: Why is the Billy/Oxford combo more for you guys in the States than us in Canada pricewise (and I'm not talking about the exchange rates either)?? :blink:

Edited by borgified

You guys got a link to the Billy/Oxford shelf? I searched Ikea but the closest I found was a Billy/Oxberg shelf. :unknw:

My continuing quest to free my remaining white valks due to yellowing fears... will need a bigger backdrop soon. (These are all duplicates.)

5a9c16161f320_whitevalksmatter01.thumb.jpg.74a893a05b4c5d7c63802b06d3edcb2a.jpg