Macross Collection Display Thread

KiriK

I've been messing around with the VF-4's legs, and the VF-4 has better Gerwalk possibility than the VF-1.

There's a hidden joint in the ankle that moves a lot, but it's very very tight, and gives you the idea it might break.

In the end it gives a good range, and holds itself up really, really well.

I know, I wish they used that ankle in the 19.

I went to Ikea yesterday to get another Detolf because I can't even fit all my 1/60's inside the display cases anymore, but they were out and weren't getting more until April. Grrrr...

So I decided to at least get some lighting. Got some of the Dioder light strips... what a let down that was.

I tried setting it up when I got home and found that the cables for the light strips are less than half the length that they used to be. You can't use them to properly light up the Detolf display cases anymore because the cables are no longer long enough to reach all the shelves. I tried instead using one unit to light the top shelf, and then another to light the third shelf down.

This is not in final state as I need to decide if I want to keep it like this and if so, try to manage the cords a bit better.

DSC_5530.jpg

What kind of wire did you use for that hanging effect? that's a nice way to maximize vert. space.

MJ I just noticed the little name plates on your display. I love it, makes your display like museum exhibits.

Thanks. I figured it helped to emphasize that they were display pieces rather than merely a collection of toys. I have to make some new ones for my more recent purchases still.

What kind of wire did you use for that hanging effect? that's a nice way to maximize vert. space.

I used clear monofilament fishing wire.

Great display with nice dynamic poses MacrossJunkie! I like how each section is from one particular series and not all mixed up.

The only thing I don't like is that your awesome SDF-1 is way up there, should be right smack in the middle of everything. ^_^

Yeah... it won't fit. At least not without displacing 2 or three other things. Maybe when I am able to get another case.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I tie two pieces of line to the horizontal metal rods that hold up the glass shelves and place the valk on top of the two lines. I can tighten up or gain more slack by sliding the ends further to the front or more to the back. The filament is rated to hold 60lbs also so I have no worries about it holding up the weight of a valkyrie.

Here are a couple closeups. There's no looping the lines through anything. I can just pick them up or put them back very easily.

post-10222-0-48820600-1389649059_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-10868100-1389649060_thumb.jpg

I tie two pieces of line to the horizontal metal rods that hold up the glass shelves and place the valk on top of the two lines. I can tighten up or gain more slack by sliding the ends further to the front or more to the back. The filament is rated to hold 60lbs also so I have no worries about it holding up the weight of a valkyrie.

Here are a couple closeups. There's no looping the lines through anything. I can just pick them up or put them back very easily.

attachicon.gifDSC_5534.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_5535.jpg

That's clever! I've been considering experimenting with something like fishing line to float valks in my own cabinets. This seems like a much better way to do it than what I had in mind.

attachicon.gifDSC_5534.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_5535.jpg

always wondered if that would work....guess i don't need to wonder anymore. off to amazon i go for some fishing line....

I picked up some 20lb 20 yard fishing wire for 5 bucks.

Gonna see how it works :D

Should be fine. The kind I used was overkill. This is what I used - Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament Custom Spool

I did it the hard way and tied the knots without taking any of the shelves or items off (too lazy to even though it made more work in the end). That required some patience and dexterous fingers.

If you don't want to be dumb like me, I would suggest taking the shelves off to have an easier time ;)

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to tie it and how much length to use. Might wait and work on it this weekend :D

I got some of this at a local outdoor shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Powerflex-Tippet-Standard-Spool/dp/B001A45CLC/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1389930180&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=rio+trippet

It was the thinnest and clearest in the shop with the highest strength.

Edited by Gakken85

Don't know why it would...It's just nylon. No chemicals or anything that I know of, though I'm not an expert.

Haha found this on wiki:

Non-fishing uses

Monofilament fishing line is also used sometimes in medicine to test the sense of touch.[4] The transparency of monofilament fishing line makes it desirable for special effects where objects need to look like they are floating in thin air.[5]

Edited by Gakken85

It has proven to be perfectly safe, or at least the kind I got has been. I have clear coats covering the entirety of my valks to worry about and not just the small areas of painted parts and I have not found any slightest hint of damage to paint or clear coats. No abrasions/scratches/sticking to coat/eating through or anything else of the sort. I've had mine hanging for a long time too so I can confidently say it's safe to use without fear of damage to paint or plastic.

It has proven to be perfectly safe, or at least the kind I got has been. I have clear coats covering the entirety of my valks to worry about and not just the small areas of painted parts and I have not found any slightest hint of damage to paint or clear coats. No abrasions/scratches/sticking to coat/eating through or anything else of the sort. I've had mine hanging for a long time too so I can confidently say it's safe to use without fear of damage to paint or plastic.

Thanks, MJ! That's pretty reassuring.

Now.. to figure out how to get them lines onto my huge cabinet tier..

Pic is a slightly outdated set up of my collection.
Didn't really plan out how I wanted it displayed, just sorta went with the flow.

I more or less know that I could just either loop the thread with the glass panel above the Macross tier, or tie 1 end to a small stick or plastic to hold the line while it is clamped between the upper glass panel and the wooden shelf.

Problem is that my upper tier is already set up, so I gotta move those before I attempt this.

Will probably need to explore how I wanna position them as well.

post-17838-0-62093800-1389934526_thumb.jpg

Edited by SaitouSad

Not sure where you got those clear acrylic risers, but it seems to me that if you could find or make some that are wider and higher vertically, you could turn it upside down so it's a "U" shape (a rectangle would actually be better for more support so that the sides don't start pointing inwards from the weight of the valks) and drill holes in the vertical sides and tie the lines through them. You could put holes at different heights to suspend multiple valks.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Not sure where you got those clear acrylic risers, but it seems to me that if you could find or make some that are wider and higher vertically, you could turn it upside down so it's a "U" shape (a rectangle would actually be better for more support so that the sides don't start pointing inwards from the weight of the valks) and drill holes in the vertical sides and tie the lines through them. You could put holes at different heights to suspend multiple valks.

sounds like an interesting idea, though that would require a very big (and expensive) riser.

I think it would be better to just thread the lines through the top glass panel, since they are removable. Just gotta be careful about moving my top shelf stuff

Pic is a slightly outdated set up of my collection.

Didn't really plan out how I wanted it displayed, just sorta went with the flow.

I more or less know that I could just either loop the thread with the glass panel above the Macross tier, or tie 1 end to a small stick or plastic to hold the line while it is clamped between the upper glass panel and the wooden shelf.

Problem is that my upper tier is already set up, so I gotta move those before I attempt this.

Will probably need to explore how I wanna position them as well.

What size (height, width, depth) is that cabinet?