Macross Collection Display Thread

KiriK

MACROSScolleJOHN8-21-13_zps8892f793.jpg

latest addition is that MPC VF-1J there. it's taken a bit of work to get it to the point where it manages to be halfway respectable

among it's peers there.

for one, there are large metal castings in the lower leg nacelles for no other purpose whatsoever than to add heft.

that surplus weight, coupled with the magnetic locking system for FIGHTER,

meant that FIGHTER was far more floppy and unstable than it had any need at all to be.

therefore, as reassuring as that artificial ballast might be for and old-fashioned metal lover,

those metal castings had to go.

between that, and a an overall refit and joint tightening, the infamous MPC

now actually holds together more like something of a rock

than like the loosey-goosey train-wreck the MPCs have long been infamous for.

it's still a silly looking, half-inspired plagiarism of it's vintage HCM predecessor, and not even quite as good as that low-bar in some ways,

but like the HCM, it somehow just feels right owning one all the same.

by rights, i should next be after the Yammie 1/48 and BANDAI 1/55 reissue of this particular VF-1,

so i can claim ownership of most every meaningful toy iteration ever made in the last 30 years.

the 1/55 reissue i think i can manage down the line a little, the 1/48, however, commands mad money these days,

and probably won't be getting any cheaper any day soon...

Edited by Shaorin

Thanks Ozma!

Plastik, is that an Expedit that you have your Detolfs standing on? Is it a 1x4 or 2x4 unit? How's the stability?

Yes its an Expedit 1x5 bookcase. It's very stable and solid although like with all ikea stuff, I wouldn't recommend moving it around too much.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20116274/

9565246130_9b4cf26150_o.jpg

Edited by plastik

Thank you much! I'm still playing with light angles and getting my set up going. Hopefully my video reviews will be a lot sharper too!

Light-ooohh!

But yeah back to your collection Plastik - I like how you have a lot of room for each piece and a very focused look. Good job!

Edited by Gakken85

Man, I had my finger on the button for another one when Yamato reissued these and I hesitated. The next day they were all gone. A second one to pose in fighter would have been good to have (plus I could redo the decals that I effed up on my first one.)

Thank you much! I'm still playing with light angles and getting my set up going. Hopefully my video reviews will be a lot sharper too!

Light-ooohh!

But yeah back to your collection Plastik - I like how you have a lot of room for each piece and a very focused look. Good job!

Thanks Gakken I try! I'm looking forward to seeing that video

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah once my collection feels complete I'll take photos of that.

that's some nice shots. anytime a photo makes me want to break out a valk, it should be in a magazine ad...

Thanks Ozma!

Yes its an Expedit 1x5 bookcase. It's very stable and solid although like with all ikea stuff, I wouldn't recommend moving it around too much.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20116274/

9565246130_9b4cf26150_o.jpg

I noticed you moved it away from your window side of the room. Looks good! I just got another detolf case this week, and need to put more valks in it. I got the detolf used so it got some scratches on the glass, any tips on removing light scratch on glass?

I noticed you moved it away from your window side of the room. Looks good! I just got another detolf case this week, and need to put more valks in it. I got the detolf used so it got some scratches on the glass, any tips on removing light scratch on glass?

Yea I moved it to the wall on the right side of the window and got rid of the stuff that was there. Who needs a tread mill anyways... I've heard of people sanding and buffing out scratches using polishing compound but I've never actually done it.

One in every mode is how I roll but I broke that rule since the 171 has a nice lookin fighter mode I had to get another in naked mode.

You're even more anal about one in every mode then I am. I stick to one of each style in every mode. So an S,F,G,R in different modes. Honestly, Macross F made it harder to pull that off since the RVF-25 looks so unique in each of the three modes (plus super packs for all, plus Armor for two, plus Tornado packs for two...)

So does G1 jetfire count as macross here? I've been focusing more on building up my G1 collection lately, but the old Takatoku standby is definitely one of the centerpieces of this collection.

Something about the VF-1, it's classy no matter what you put it with.

post-14420-0-09054900-1377606808_thumb.jpg

NICE G1 collection! In my opinion (as a child of the 80's) the ONLY Transformers. :wub:

Thanks! I've actually got a couple more on the way, but I'm really happy with what I've been able to find. I also collect from the movie line and the recent stuff from Prime, but I have to say just the material quality alone on the G1 stuff, I'm apt to agree. Large chunks of diecast? Rubber tires? AWESOME.

Snuck a gobot in there

Not one, but two

I remember the Gobots being much smaller, like Matchbox car sized.

Most of them were smaller, just slightly larger than the average matchbox car, but they also had a few larger toys based on the Scale Robo/Machine Robo DX/Big Machine Robo lines, which were about the same size/quality as the medium range transformers. People rip on them, but they're actually quite nice toys. The build quality and materials (diecast, rubber tires, etc) as transformers at least.

But before I accidentally derail this thread with too much transformer/gobots, why don't I go ahead and add a shot of my current macross setup just to be fair. I don't think I've shared this image before, but apologies if I have and just forgot...

...and of course I would upload a thumbnail of my own picture... shhh you saw nothing.

post-14420-0-82859700-1377619265_thumb.jpg

Edited by aceoftherebellion