Thinking on parting with my 1/48's

Lonely Soldier Boy

Hi, everyone. 

I have a modest 1/48 collection that I'm thinking to part with, but I'd like to gauge the current interest on those first, since I don't want to list everything only to sell a FAST Pack set in the course of two years. I'm willing to take the risk of course, but it doesn't hurt to gather some information first.

So. Are 1/48's selling these days? Or is everybody focused on DX's and HM-R's? Thoughts?

Oh gosh I wish you posted this a few months ago. I spent a fortune acquiring 1/48s this year but have switched my focus to the new stuff. 

The only two I'm still kind of looking for are a vf-1a cf and vf-1s Roy. 

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

They are out of favor so you shouldn't expect much of a premium but there's demand at the right price of course. You can probably get about what you paid if they're still in great shape in most cases. 

Checkout sold items on eBay and jya. There are still a lot of folks buying these at a premium unless they are broken or obviously yellowing. I paid way to much for hikaru and m&m super valks...I almost didn't get doubles...almost :lol:

I'm not interested in a collection of them but I do need one to wear the armor I've had since it came out...never got a valk to go with it. One thing is, I don't want to pay too much for one or I can just keep doing without. That one that anubis aquired recently that sold for $150 including shipping on ebay is about the most I'm willing to spend.

Edited by Slave IV

As a potential buyer, I'd say hold off (maybe?).  

I was somewhat interested in getting at least one 1/48, but had several reservations.  I was hesitant to pay that much money for something that was 10+ years old, when I could get something much newer (albeit smaller) for a similar price.  And the more videos I saw of them, the sort of loose/floppy construction compared to the v2 1/60s started to put me off.

I still might be interested, but now with Acadia really ramping up out-put, I'd definitely wait until either I've gotten everything I want out of them in 1/60 or they start slowing down before I'd consider a 1/48 again.

Of course, bandai could always release that 1/35th scale they teased, that might wreck the 1/48 market... but that is just speculation.

If you really don't want them, I suggest you sell them now and get what you can.

The prices peaked and have nowhere to go but down.  There are not enough collectors interested in these to drive up prices anymore.  Even the rare and exclusives no longer sell.  For example, the Macross Chronicle 1/48 Weathered Strike VF-1S Hikaru is by most definitions a holy grail....yet the collector interest is just not there for the 1/48 Yamato VF's...it is an example of rarity not equating to desireability....thus the declining market prices for it and all other 1/48's.

To make matters worse for you and others on the fence with these specific collectibled......what do you think you could sell your 1/48th's for when the 1/35th DYRL Anniversary Ultra DX comes out next year?  ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

In short.....keep them if you like them....dump them if you really don't...

Good point. I actually predicted that a slight spoke for the 1/48's may occur and then plummet if/when the 1/35 is released. If the 1/35 doesn't come, 1/48s still may have another bright day. 

Anyways, if someone has a 1/48 they want to pass on, Lmk. Like I said, I just need one and don't need super parts because it's going straight into GBP armor. 

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

If you really don't want them, I suggest you sell them now and get what you can.

The prices peaked and have nowhere to go but down.  There are not enough collectors interested in these to drive up prices anymore.  Even the rare and exclusives no longer sell.  For example, the Macross Chronicle 1/48 Weathered Strike VF-1S Hikaru is by most definitions a holy grail....yet the collector interest is just not there for the 1/48 Yamato VF's...it is an example of rarity not equating to desireability....thus the declining market prices for it and all other 1/48's.

To make matters worse for you and others on the fence with these specific collectibled......what do you think you could sell your 1/48th's for when the 1/35th DYRL Anniversary Ultra DX comes out next year?  ;)

In short.....keep them if you like them....dump them if you really don't...

So is the 1/35 confirmed for next year?

6 minutes ago, Lonely Soldier Boy said:

So is the 1/35 confirmed for next year?

No....always in motion the future is....especially when it concerns Bandai Macross....

Who could have predicted a Messer VF-1S SDFM 35th Anniversary HMR?

Still.....why release it now as a first salvo in the SDFM/DYRL 35th annivetsary 2 year long merchandising party?  Makes some sense especially if you want to save the best and biggest to close out the celebrations...

On 4/28/2017 at 3:28 PM, jvmacross said:

maxresdefault.jpg

OMG!!!, I wonder how much that thing will cost and what is the scale of that figure ?, I think the one of the left is the Takatokou 1/55 scale Valkyrie.  Still will start saving from this day hehe, thanks for the image :) 

Updated:

hehe I just saw the scale is 1/35 scale, I got confused with the "th" referring to the anniversary :D

Edited by Alex GS

As an aside I just lost 3 auctions in a row for 1/48s on jya lol

Bid on a vf-1s Roy, vf-1cf, vf1-a low viz. 

New, unopened or never transformed go for around 150-200 plus shipping.

Lost out on a few 1/60 destroid auctions as well <_<

Edited by spacemanoeuvres

2 hours ago, s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d said:

Well if it helps I've sold a 1/48 millia at the 1st week of April and fetched $400 plus for it and my auction started at .99 w/ no reserve.  I think now with the waning months of the tax refund season, you may need to hold off till the holidays.

Link?  I only see one that sold for under 250usd and one that is not selling at 425usd....sounds like you got lucky....congrats!

10 hours ago, Graham said:

I really hope the Bandai 1/35 is not vaporware, but I strongly suspect it is. 2 years without any news.

Until recently, Bandai has not really been that into releasing too much info on what they are up to....so the lack of news is not too concerning to me.

If it is released, it makes sense for it to be the big showcase item for the 35th anniversary of SDFM/DYRL....which means we may still need to wait until next year.

However, it could possibly just be the item that Bandai is using to see what they can incorporate into their eventual release of an all-new take on a DX-scaled VF-1.  So unlike Yamato, they could simply skip the release of their "1/48 VF-1" and go straight to the 1/60-ish DX using and incorporating all they learned from their 1/35 proto.

Still, I would prefer a 1/35 VF-1 to commemorate the 35th Anniversary of SDFM.....and then have them scale it down into a DX 1/60-ish version in about 2-3 years.

History of Major VF-1 "reboots" since the release of the original VF-1.....

1982---Takatoku 1/55 VF-1

2001---Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v1

2002---Yamato 1/48 VF-1

2008---Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v2

If you remove the 1/48.....we are currently past due for a v3 of the VF-1 in the now widely accepted 1/60-DX scale......

Who will deliver the Version 3?  Who do you want to release the next generation Kanzen Henkei VF-1? 

More importantly, is your wallet ready?

8 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

A 1/35 would be figuratively and literally HUGE :o

I think such a massive valk would require its own display cabinet hahaha

Remember the original 1980s G.I. Joe Skystryker? That would probably be the scale. :o

Edited by fenrir72

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

History of Major VF-1 "reboots" since the release of the original VF-1.....

1982---Takatoku 1/55 VF-1

2001---Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v1

2002---Yamato 1/48 VF-1

2008---Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v2

If you remove the 1/48.....we are currently past due for a v3 of the VF-1 in the now widely accepted 1/60-DX scale......

Who will deliver the Version 3?  Who do you want to release the next generation Kanzen Henkei VF-1? 

More importantly, is your wallet ready?

I'm in for the bandai 1/35 but I'd also like a 1/48 v2 with better sculpt, proportions and better fit.

Would also like to see Bandai try the 1/60 scale.

34 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

I'm in for the bandai 1/35 but I'd also like a 1/48 v2 with better sculpt, proportions and better fit.

Would also like to see Bandai try the 1/60 scale.

No problem.....If you pre-order now....Bandai and Arcadia will even throw in a Blaupunkt! :p

On 5/2/2017 at 0:20 PM, Graham said:

I really hope the Bandai 1/35 is not vaporware, but I strongly suspect it is. 2 years without any news.

And if not, those sucka's will like get sold out in 0.00001 seconds post solicitation in amiami :wacko:. I'm not complaining about them being expensive. It's the availability that gets me....... are there really limited stocks? Or just too much protoculture / overtech addicts in the world:lol:

I wish this would be a 1/55 scale or like oversized HMRs. Can the battery/electronic gimmicks and just give us the Takatoku sturdiness for us oversized kids to enjoy!