12 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Rogue One came closest, but it was a (AWESOME) nostalgia fest that was meant to close a plot hole.

It wasn't a plot hole, just an undetailed bit of background.

And it wasn't even undetailed until Disney ejected everything from the established merchandise. BRING BACK KYLE KATARN!

On 8/26/2019 at 7:49 PM, jenius said:

Not to feed the haters here... but Disney making Rey a villain seems..... a little far fetched. Remember, they're all about girl power and having the white male protagonist save the universe by killing a girl just doesn't seem to fit with the message they're trying to send.

Hey, it worked pretty well for GoT.

Right?...

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

It wasn't a plot hole, just an undetailed bit of background.

And it wasn't even undetailed until Disney ejected everything from the established merchandise. BRING BACK KYLE KATARN!

True, true.

4 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Hey, it worked pretty well for GoT.

Right?...

Narratively yes, but it was built up over Dani's whole character arc that she was actually evil, just in a pretty face.  The whole Targaryn line had to end in order to "break the circle."

4 hours ago, Chewie said:

Anyone see any of the pictures like these with the cannons on the fore and the possible red markings? I caught these on my phone so they aren't perfect.

ISD Closeup.jpg

ISD Under.jpg

I think that red might just a screen artifact.

The more I see that sequence, the more I am reminded of "the Boneyard": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/309th_Aerospace_Maintenance_and_Regeneration_Group

The only part that brings pause is that some of the lights are still on.  I guess the "miniature sun" that serves as the main reactor can never really be turned off. :unknw:

6 hours ago, Chewie said:

Anyone see any of the pictures like these with the cannons on the fore and the possible red markings? I caught these on my phone so they aren't perfect.

There are indeed red markings in that shot. As well as a red marking on the star destroyer in the first trailer

5507AD04-6B7D-42A3-BAB2-8AB9211732C8.jpeg.935be1983def5a0e8ce2f29d43e3ece7.jpeg

10 hours ago, Chewie said:

They must be connected to those new Stormtroopers with the bright red armor...

Image result for stormtrooper adidas

Oh wait... not that one...

Image result for Sith Trooper

Honestly, I think there's more to fear from the Slav Trooper up there than the Sith Trooper.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

On 9/2/2019 at 11:43 PM, kalvasflam said:

You are thinking of the terrifying quidditch trooper, the red version is just the most current incarnation.

Honestly, the most terrifying thing in this new trilogy is that Kylo Ren looks a little bit like emo Doomcock.

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Do you think he would be willing to do a fandub of the movies?  I'd pay so much money to see that.

Nah, do one better and edit him into every shot of the film.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, TehPW said:

Rage mode: 11. (warning: Freddie PJr has a rather surprising potty mouth). Does anyone know about this rant that FPJr did recently?

Nope, I don't even know who he is... just that Doomcock and co. seem to be reaching for ever-lower-hanging fruit lately, in what feels like an increasingly desperate attempt to keep the flames of outrage that propelled them to YouTube "stardom" going.

19 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nope, I don't even know who he is... just that Doomcock and co. seem to be reaching for ever-lower-hanging fruit lately, in what feels like an increasingly desperate attempt to keep the flames of outrage that propelled them to YouTube "stardom" going.

Really?  Son of Chico and the Man?  Was in quite a few movies in the late 90's/early 2000's.  Married to Sarah Michelle Gellar.  Doomcock's retorts were extremely weak here which is too bad given the terrible logic employed in the original argument.

Didn’t listen to the link, but. . .

Freddy is one of the main voice actors for Star Wars Rebels.

He voiced Kanan Jarrus (sp?), and the character grew the hell up over the course of the series.  One of the best additions/stories to the Jedi ranks.

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

Really?  Son of Chico and the Man?  Was in quite a few movies in the late 90's/early 2000's.  Married to Sarah Michelle Gellar. 

Yeah, I've never paid much attention to actors outside of the roles they play... but this guy apparently flew so far under my radar the mole people are probably filing a formal complaint.  Having not watched the Doomcock video yet, I didn't even realize he was an actor.  I figured he was just another one of the usual Twitter guttersnipes or e-tabloid rag reviewers who've become the favored targets of the so-called "fandom menace" video bloggers.  After reviewing his filmography, the last film he was in that I recall actually watching or being in any way interested in was back in 1997.

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

Doomcock's retorts were extremely weak here which is too bad given the terrible logic employed in the original argument.

The outrage-driven video bloggers of the "fandom menace" seem to be running out of steam and material.

For a while there, Doomcock was so hard up for things to be cross about he was reporting on arguments he got into on Twitter.  Nerdrotic's host is down to just three or four topics and vaguely sexist remarks keep creeping into his videos...

4 hours ago, Mog said:

Didn’t listen to the link, but. . .

Freddy is one of the main voice actors for Star Wars Rebels.

He voiced Kanan Jarrus (sp?), and the character grew the hell up over the course of the series.  One of the best additions/stories to the Jedi ranks.

Ok, this Doomcock guy is just offbase here.  No one is gonna go out of their way to boycott Freddie Prince Jr.

Prince's portrayal of Kanan Jarrus was well done, and his critique of fans isn't completely wrong here.

Gotta be edgie to pull in the eyeballs, or ears, I guess.

It's sad that something I learned from either doing college research papers or from high school journalism is getting forgotten by most people:  Don't rely solely on second-hand information;  go back to the original source.

I only got through a few minutes of Doomcock's rants before it made my head hurt.  And I honestly didn't want to sit through 13+ minutes of it.

So, I went and listened to Prinze's original rant (Plus, it's a hell of a lot shorter at a little over 3 minutes).

If you can get past the f-bombing, Prinze does have some valid points.  And they probably do hold a little more weight, as I'm sure he was able to glean some ideas and thoughts directly from Filoni (during their time together on Rebels).

But I don't completely agree with everything he said.

1)  Star Wars being made for kids:  Probably true, especially for the prequels.  But it helps that there's a deeper layer that adults can appreciate.  For those that dig deeper, you can see the myth archetypes there, and you can see the underlying redemption themes.  Even the prequels have an underlying theme of a good man and a good system slowly becoming corrupted.  It is a little heavy-handed in the prequels, but the themes are there.

I mean, as a kid, I loved SDF Macross for the transforming planes.  But it still sticks with me today because it dealt realistically with war and death, and showed that sometimes our greatest weapon is not reactive missiles and armed-to-the-tooth mechs but rather "yak de culture."

So, yeah might be created for kids.  But it sticks, because the story can hold your imagination as an adult.

2)  Railing against video games and Grey Jedi:  As one of the biggest Knights of the Old Republic fanboys on this board, I do take umbrage with this position.  It's never about leveling up in these games;  it's about the story.  Some of the best stories in KOTOR I are from Jolee Bindo, a guy who starts up as a Grey Jedi.  Jolee has one of the best takes on love and the Jedi Code.

Not saying I don't find the idea Prinze brings up (about the Force constantly balancing itself) intriguing.  But I think the Star Wars universe is big enough to also include the idea of Grey Jedi.

3)  I've said it often before, but I wasn't a fan of Prinze's soul-patch, hidden Jedi at first.  But the story made the guy grow a ton, and he became a memorable character in his own right (It helps too that he eventually rocked a full-on Kenobi beard :p).

4)  Yeah, there are Star Wars fans that go way overboard in their rants.  But criticisms about weirdly structured or illogical stories and inconsistent characters that show no growth between films should not be cast aside or lumped together with the more extreme rants.  It's just frustrating to see that Disney seems to tow this line, rather than take an honest hard look at these criticisms.

Just Moggy's two cents.

7 hours ago, Mog said:

Just Moggy's two cents.

Thanks for the summary, I didn't really feel like listening to either rant, since honestly, it just starts to feel like screaming into an echo chamber, and people are going to argue just for the sake of arguing.  People are running out of new material to get enraged at, and all the good or bad points fall by the wayside, because everything is just so loud that you have to tune it out sometimes. :lol:

I think we've hit this weird feedback loop where a lot of people will be really disappointed if TROS is actually any good at all.  My expectations are practically nil, but at the same time, I might still find myself in a theater to see it first-hand with my brother, since it's a tradition.  Heck, I'm honestly curious if they'll restore the old 20th Century Fanfare intro, and will consider it worth the ticket to see that again.

I'm not expecting anything, but I've also mostly stopped caring.  There are far more important things to spend my days focusing on, and there's more than enough superior EU material to keep me entertained, so I'm just treating these new movies like I treated the NJO books, and any Star Trek past Insurrection: I'm fully aware they exist, I just don't care, and will stick to the material I enjoy. ^_^ 

Honestly, I think what sets people off is FPjr toeing the line that all complaints are due to Rey being a girl and Sexism. It’s inaccurate and incredibly insulting. When you start a rant from there it’s hard to hear the rest. In today’s world people are “painting with far to broad a brush”. My 2 cents.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I only got through a few minutes of Doomcock's rants before it made my head hurt.  And I honestly didn't want to sit through 13+ minutes of it.

So, I went and listened to Prinze's original rant (Plus, it's a hell of a lot shorter at a little over 3 minutes).

I did the same thing.

If you can get past the f-bombing, Prinze does have some valid points.  And they probably do hold a little more weight, as I'm sure he was able to glean some ideas and thoughts directly from Filoni (during their time together on Rebels).

I agree as well.  

But I don't completely agree with everything he said.

1)  Star Wars being made for kids:  Probably true, especially for the prequels.  But it helps that there's a deeper layer that adults can appreciate.  For those that dig deeper, you can see the myth archetypes there, and you can see the underlying redemption themes.  Even the prequels have an underlying theme of a good man and a good system slowly becoming corrupted.  It is a little heavy-handed in the prequels, but the themes are there.

I mean, as a kid, I loved SDF Macross for the transforming planes.  But it still sticks with me today because it dealt realistically with war and death, and showed that sometimes our greatest weapon is not reactive missiles and armed-to-the-tooth mechs but rather "yak de culture."

So, yeah might be created for kids.  But it sticks, because the story can hold your imagination as an adult.

I could never understand the whole X was for kids argument.  We all know the children programming aimed at preschoolers is made for kids.  Cartoons are made for kids.   Then you have things the cartoons and live action kid shows with those jokes for the adults.  Star Wars was inspired by the old Saturday matinee serials that kids use to watch.  Yet the finished product doesn't look 100% aimed at preschoolers.   Teens and adults can get more out of it than a 5 year old.  You'd have to remove everything that was too complicated for them to understand for it to be made for kids.  I've considered it family entertainment for all ages.  Everyone gets to enjoy something out of it.  That's the true balance of the force.

Little off the subject, but I feel like it applies here.  Apparently one of the newer episodes of Family Guy pokes fun at the Disneyfication of everything, and deals with the normal characters commenting on several theoretical treatments to redesign the show.  The context is mostly irrelevant though.

What did come out of this is one of the most self-aware comments I've ever heard about the show, when one of the characters asks something to the tune of, "Who is this written for?"  The reply they get back is something like "We targeted this at teenagers born in the 1980s."

I'm starting to wonder if we're seeing this sort of thing on a larger scale.  I feel like a lot of the heads of many franchises are pandering desperately to audiences that don't actually exist outside of their own imaginations.

9 hours ago, Mog said:

4)  Yeah, there are Star Wars fans that go way overboard in their rants.  But criticisms about weirdly structured or illogical stories and inconsistent characters that show no growth between films should not be cast aside or lumped together with the more extreme rants.

But with so many people shrilling at Disney over various things in the new Star Wars movies, it's probably all just blurring together into a wall of angry white noise.

It's easier for them to dismiss all complaints out of hand because the loudest are the ones saying stupid, sexist bullsh*t than try to wade through it all to see if anyone's making a good point.  (That doesn't make their approach right, it just makes it less time consuming...)

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm not expecting anything, but I've also mostly stopped caring.  There are far more important things to spend my days focusing on, and there's more than enough superior EU material to keep me entertained, so I'm just treating these new movies like I treated the NJO books, and any Star Trek past Insurrection: I'm fully aware they exist, I just don't care, and will stick to the material I enjoy. ^_^ 

Yeah, that's pretty much my stance at this point.

It's rarer and rarer these days to find a franchise I'm fully all-in on anymore.

Most times, there's aspects I absolutely love in the franchise and other parts I willfully choose to ignore (or just acknowledge as not being as good as the rest).

For example, I can say I'm a big fan of Agents of SHIELD, but even I'm willing to acknowledge that Season 6 was pretty meh.

Bringing it back to TROS, I'm in no mad rush to see it.  If the reviews are generally positive, MAYBE I'll go see it in theaters.  Otherwise, I'll wait until it comes out on a streaming service or gets re-run a billion times on a cable channel.

15 minutes ago, eXis10z said:

Unfortunately, I can't really capture my true reaction in plaintext... that noncommittal "ecch" noise in the back of my throat.

This didn't really do anything to make me want to see the movie when it comes out.