5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The older Star Wars movies weren't quite so blatant with the idea that "good will always triumph because evil is dumb".  :lol:

I mean they were, but I get it. saying anything negative about the original trilogy or anything positive about the sequels is verboten and cause for summary execution.

2 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I mean they were, but I get it. saying anything negative about the original trilogy or anything positive about the sequels is verboten and cause for summary execution.

The prequel trilogy was kinda going the other direction, TBH... Failure was the Only Option because the Jedi were mostly oblivious Lawful Good paladin types (what RPG-ers would call Lawful Stupid) up against a hyper-competent Lawful Evil antagonist.

I figure the fleet of Star Destroyers is a force-vision etc.  (Otherwise, that's an awful lot of the EXACT same variant, to assemble this late in the timeline---plus I think it's a pretty poor battle formation to use, given the shape of an ISD and its gun locations)  

3 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

I figure the fleet of Star Destroyers is a force-vision etc.  (Otherwise, that's an awful lot of the EXACT same variant, to assemble this late in the timeline---plus I think it's a pretty poor battle formation to use, given the shape of an ISD and its gun locations)  

Or they were hidden away by old pappa Palpatine.

Fair, but I mean, short of Anakin turning back from the dark side, he had everything planned out and foresaw to a T. To be honest, it wouldn't be surprising.

And at the rate Disney is borrowing from Legends, it's really not outside the scope of possibilities. The scene right after that with Finn looking all "aww crap" kinda of seems to lend it to not being a vision.

Short of my long standing theory that Rey would end up the bad guy, I am definitely on board with the last shot being a vision.

Edited by Chewie

13 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Plus a few million trained people to crew them?  (of course, there's the perfect answer for that--clones!) 

Nah, the planet they're parked on just has REALLY uptight parking enforcement... Vader parked his fleet there and went for a soak, and woke up to find his massive armada had been booted.  

14 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I’m standing by my theory I posted earlier that they are mothballed ISD’s....either by the old Empire or captured and stored away by the New Republic and the new Rebellion is going to steel some of the. To form their new fleet.

Chris

4 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I’m standing by my theory I posted earlier that they are mothballed ISD’s....either by the old Empire or captured and stored away by the New Republic and the new Rebellion is going to steel some of the. To form their new fleet.

Nothing says "we're here to save democracy" like Darth Vader's daughter rolling up in in her 7'2" asthmatic gimp daddy's old instrument of galactic oppression.

(Really, I think we can rule that latter one out for the same reason Kawamori has generally kept the Zentradi ships out of the NUNS fleet shots... no sense letting audiences get confused about which one of the extremely similar-looking ships the good guys are on.)

Is it just me or does the poster debacle and the latest trailer really point to how creatively bankrupt Disney really is?  And always has been?  Have they produced any truly original movies since 60/70s?

12 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I know the capital of the galactic federation was burnt to ash , but where's their fleet at?? And isn't somebody left in charge? There's some massive plot holes that only get wider and deeper with each movie..

I vaguely remember reading something about their fleet having been orbiting said burnt-to-ash planet and consequently didn't fare too well when the planet blew up.

As far as having someone in charge, outside of the original trilogy the Star Wars franchise has always struck me as having this odd pro-authoritarian slant where the heroes are always pro-democracy but democracy always seems short-lived and dictatorial rule always seems inevitable and the only stable form of government.

1 minute ago, Knight26 said:

Is it just me or does the poster debacle and the latest trailer really point to how creatively bankrupt Disney really is?  And always has been?  Have they produced any truly original movies since 60/70s?

Originality is a perspective issue when your main source of films for the longest time was adapting fairy tales, folk tales, and old novels.

34 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

I'd bump that to the 90s, since even if the whole "Renaissance" era wasn't necessarily original stories, they were at least original treatments with good writing and music.

On the Star Wars front, I don't think they've actually had a single original good idea since Star Tours. :p 

The singularity-scale plot-holes in the new trilogy are partly due to them going the DLC route, and requiring extra purchases before you get the entire story, and partly a combination of terrible writing, and a galaxy of characters dumber than a sack of doorknobs. 

For all of the vastness of space, the new movies have managed to make the galaxy feel absolutely tiny.  Aside from JJ's previously exemplified issues with scale, the entire situation between the Resistance and First Order feels like the rest of the universe just flat out does not care.  Is the political backdrop of the new trilogy so utterly fragmented that when the capital of the New Republic is lens-flared out of existence, no one actually gives a flying bowel movement?

It vaguely sounds like they're trying to imply that the Republic was setup with no actual power or authority to govern (more like the Articles of Confederation than the Constitution), but the idea that the entire governing body of the galaxy could be wiped out without any response from literally anyone is just bonkers.

To be entirely fair though.. the lack of scale backs up the lack of logic.  When you can blip yourself anywhere in the galaxy in under a minute, keeping the entirety of your armed forces stationed around a single planet suddenly makes an almost reasonable amount of sense.

One of the big failing is the lack of knowledge about the rest of the galaxy. All we are shown is the heroes POV, which leads to these big gaping holes in the back story that we are left to theorize about.

There were some deleted scenes between General Leia and the woman front and center when Hosnian Prime was blowed up, and I imagine we may have had some explanation of galactic politics there, but it was nicely cut and left to fall to the cutting room floor. You know, cause the general movie audience would get too bored or confused with too much information...

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

I know the capital of the galactic federation was burnt to ash , but where's their fleet at?? And isn't somebody left in charge? There's some massive plot holes that only get wider and deeper with each movie..

Well, I can't say anything about the fleet... but as for who is in charge.  That's easy.  His name is Bob....  Sideshow Bob.  He has been in charge since 2005.  And in spite the botched attempts by some underlings, he is generally well regarded.  Massive plot holes aside.

But seriously, a trilogy with no force would be kinda cool.... I know you're listening Bob... you're always listening.

20 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

But seriously, a trilogy with no force would be kinda cool....

If Rogue One or Solo are any indication, a trilogy with no Force would be better than the trilogy we're suffering through now.

We can only hope The Mandalorian stays away from the Jedi as well.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:01 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

The prequel trilogy was kinda going the other direction, TBH... Failure was the Only Option because the Jedi were mostly oblivious Lawful Good paladin types (what RPG-ers would call Lawful Stupid) up against a hyper-competent Lawful Evil antagonist.

Also, you know, it was a prequel to Star Wars. We knew going in that the jedi were all dead, Anakin was the walking embodiment of evil, and the Republic was washed away by a dictatorial empire that built planetkillers to keep the populace in line. There was no possibility for a happy ending. They shoulda just done a movie about Darth Vader hunting jedi.

10 hours ago, jvmacross said:

One? :unknw:

*Tron poster*

Two points.

A. Tron was brought in from outside. The producers created the concept, began production, and started shopping for a studio to publish it and Disney was the one willing to bankroll it. It is only nominally a Disney film, definitely not Disney's idea, and saw a lot of resistance from within the company after they bought it. To quote Wikipedia... 

At the time, Disney rarely hired outsiders to make films for them, and Kushner found that he and his group were given a chilly reception because they "tackled the nerve center – the animation department. They saw us as the germ from outside. We tried to enlist several Disney animators, but none came. Disney is a closed group." As a result, they hired Wang Film Productions for the animation.

When your Disney-published animated film is using a different company's animators instead of the in-house best in the business, something has gone very wrong.

B. Tron was... kinda awful. It is a lot of neat pictures with no sense of pacing, narrative, or tone. It is the Star Trek: The Motion Picture of computer movies.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Also, you know, it was a prequel to Star Wars. We knew going in that the jedi were all dead, Anakin was the walking embodiment of evil, and the Republic was washed away by a dictatorial empire that built planetkillers to keep the populace in line. There was no possibility for a happy ending. They shoulda just done a movie about Darth Vader hunting jedi.

It might've been less stupid that way, yeah... instead of these allegedly-amazing magical knights who can see the future blindly walking to their own extermination.

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Two points.

A. Tron was brought in from outside. The producers created the concept, began production, and started shopping for a studio to publish it and Disney was the one willing to bankroll it. It is only nominally a Disney film, definitely not Disney's idea, and saw a lot of resistance from within the company after they bought it. To quote Wikipedia... 

At the time, Disney rarely hired outsiders to make films for them, and Kushner found that he and his group were given a chilly reception because they "tackled the nerve center – the animation department. They saw us as the germ from outside. We tried to enlist several Disney animators, but none came. Disney is a closed group." As a result, they hired Wang Film Productions for the animation.

When your Disney-published animated film is using a different company's animators instead of the in-house best in the business, something has gone very wrong.

B. Tron was... kinda awful. It is a lot of neat pictures with no sense of pacing, narrative, or tone. It is the Star Trek: The Motion Picture of computer movies.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

Emphasizes my point.  The bigger a hand Disney has in a production the less original and creative it is.

Marvel was successful because Disney, by and large, have let them do their own thing.  But even then, they are using established characters and stories and just putting a new spin on things.

Pixar was a break away from Disney and then was brought back into the fold.  Their best stuff was from when they were acting as an independent, now, it's sequel after sequel.

Lucasfilm was doomed from the start, with Disney installing a puppet in charge (Kathleen Kennedy) that they could pull the strings on.  None of the new movies have been original, Rogue One came closest, but it was a (AWESOME) nostalgia fest that was meant to close a plot hole.  Rebels was meh at first, but once Filloni really got going it turned good, especially when he/LF/Disney struck whatever deal they did to get Thrawn in the series.  BTW the Thrawn books are great and I home Zahn gets a chance to play with the character more in the post Rebels timeline.  The Mandalorian looks good, but it is the draw to pull people to Disney+ and may only work because of who is behind it.  I doubt Favreau would have done it if Disney kept too heavy a hand in it after how he got screwed out of IM3.  Resistance I could just never get into, and it was about fighter pilots, but in typical Disney style they wanted it to be totally tied to the new movies and you got a pretty bad series.  I don't really blame Filloni on this one, he tried his best with what his corporate overlords handed to him.  Who knows, maybe Season 2 will actually have some merits, but I am more looking forward to Clone Wars Season 7.