1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Baby Yoda hasn't hit retail stores yet..?

Nope, but that's not stopping Disney from threatening legal action against people making hand-crafted dolls.

1 minute ago, kajnrig said:

I mean... X-Wings have hyperspace drives or whatever in them, so I'm certainly not gonna sweat that minor detail.

The x-wing arriving there via hyperdrive wasn't the main issue for me (though, how Rey pulled it off without an astromech to do the calclulations is a good question to ask.. does the navigation macguffin also function as a hyperspace nav computer?).  I'm more curious how Luke preserved that x-wing in working condition underwater for so long.

Things working that shouldn't have been working was a theme in this movie. The bounty hunter's ship, stuff on the death star, the X wing, even the star destroyers that were stored underwater was all questionable.... so the thought seems to be that corrosion does not exist a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

12 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Nope, but that's not stopping Disney from threatening legal action against people making hand-crafted dolls.

They won't be able to stop my legally distinct "Tiny Gremlin with Long Ears" plush.

12 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

The x-wing arriving there via hyperdrive wasn't the main issue for me (though, how Rey pulled it off without an astromech to do the calclulations is a good question to ask.. does the navigation macguffin also function as a hyperspace nav computer?).  I'm more curious how Luke preserved that x-wing in working condition underwater for so long.

I just meant in general. If an X-Wing can go lightspeed, I don't really see why a TIE can't, too. Sure, it probably clashes with intricate lore details, but... eh. It's the type of minor thing I don't mind handwaving, like how lightsabers supposedly work. Crystals, psh. Sure. :lol:

As far as the X-Wing being functional again... sigh. That also strained my suspension of disbelief. I had a similar feeling with the Falcon in VII; eventually I just shrugged and said, "Fine. Whatever. You do you, I guess. But I reserve the right to glare at you grumpily for the remainder of the movie."

Them X- wings sure are well made. After being dunked in the swamps of Dagobah for (weeks?) some time, that baby fired right up. Aside from barnacles, and some scratched paint,  and maybe an octopus or two living in the thrusters, i recon the warranty was still good.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

I just meant in general. If an X-Wing can go lightspeed, I don't really see why a TIE can't, too. Sure, it probably clashes with intricate lore details, but... eh. It's the type of minor thing I don't mind handwaving, like how lightsabers supposedly work. Crystals, psh. Sure. :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHsesm5mG1KdynTxQPAD4

Luke:  "They followed us!"
Obi-Wan: "No, it's a short-range fighter."

Kylo Ren: "Screw the design limitations of your outdated technology, I have places to go!"

Seriously.  If we're stretching things far enough to permit there to be functional craft in the wreckage, he could at least pick a ship capable of making the trip.  Like... I don't know.. a shuttle..

Between things like this, and the way hyperspace is treated in general, apparently the OT and PT are now regarded as apocryphal writing.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Then.. Kylo flies a vintage hyperdrive-less OT Tie Fighter out of the wreckage of the second Death Star.. on the same route, without the nav macguffin?  Okayyyy...

We don't know though if that was a TIE fighter from the dead Death Star or one from the cruiser the Storm Troopers stole when they deserted. I've seen the movie twice though I haven't looked close enough at the TIE he arrived in to see if it is an OT fighter or an FO fighter... If it came from the stolen cruiser then it does have a hyperdrive and I'll be sticking to that in my head-canon.:D

3 hours ago, Thom said:

We don't know though if that was a TIE fighter from the dead Death Star or one from the cruiser the Storm Troopers stole when they deserted. I've seen the movie twice though I haven't looked close enough at the TIE he arrived in to see if it is an OT fighter or an FO fighter... If it came from the stolen cruiser then it does have a hyperdrive and I'll be sticking to that in my head-canon.:D

But it wasn't a First Order Tie, and I know because that set off enough alarm bells in my head that I stared at it intensely on my viewing.   It was genuine 100% OT paint-scheme, with no extra gobbledegook antennas, turrets, or tractor tires.

657524157_ss(2020-01-21at06_13.45).jpg.f2710e2826a5b56fb841bf44cf181bb7.jpg

Besides, do you honestly think JJ was going to sacrifice that opportunity to throw in another OT nostalgia zinger by not having a vintage Tie to park next to Luke's vintage X-Wing? :p 

Is it possible he found some fancy officer model with a hyperdrive?  I guess?  But at the same time, that still does nothing to explain how he got there without the wayfinder. 

Edited by Chronocidal

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

But it wasn't a First Order Tie, and I know because that set off enough alarm bells in my head that I stared at it intensely on my viewing.   It was genuine 100% OT paint-scheme, with no extra gobbledegook antennas, turrets, or tractor tires. (...)

Wait... don't the First Order have 2 types of Tie Fighter?  Regular, and Special Forces?  (The latter being a 2-seater with the extra antenna thingamabob).

Nevertheless, from the paint-scheme, I've always assumed it was an OT Tie Fighter...

15 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

They do have two distinct models, but they're all painted black, with gray solar panels, the opposite of the OT design, and even the lower-end models had extra greeblies added.

61SWRd1YMBL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Thanks for clarifying!

Regrettably, the recycled molds in Bandai kits do not make for a good example.  The antenna on the regular version* appears to be a lot less... obvious! :lol:

* https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE/fo_space_superiority_fighter

On 1/21/2020 at 5:54 PM, Chronocidal said:

But it wasn't a First Order Tie, and I know because that set off enough alarm bells in my head that I stared at it intensely on my viewing.   It was genuine 100% OT paint-scheme, with no extra gobbledegook antennas, turrets, or tractor tires.

657524157_ss(2020-01-21at06_13.45).jpg.f2710e2826a5b56fb841bf44cf181bb7.jpg

Besides, do you honestly think JJ was going to sacrifice that opportunity to throw in another OT nostalgia zinger by not having a vintage Tie to park next to Luke's vintage X-Wing? :p 

Is it possible he found some fancy officer model with a hyperdrive?  I guess?  But at the same time, that still does nothing to explain how he got there without the wayfinder. 

Oh well, in my head it's one taken from the stolen cruiser. It works that way.

As for the Militia Fleet finding their way to Exogol, Lando was leading them, as he was present when they found out that Rey was transmitting the way through the 'fire maze.'

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Oh well, in my head it's one taken from the stolen cruiser. It works that way.

As for the Militia Fleet finding their way to Exogol, Lando was leading them, as he was present when they found out that Rey was transmitting the way through the 'fire maze.'

I didn't mean the militia fleet.. I meant Kylo finding his way back. :lol:

My bigger concern for the larger fleet was that they showed Kylo dodging and weaving through the nebula as if every maneuver was manually guided by the wayfinder, with his fighter barely fitting.  Then they did it in the Tantive...V...  then they managed to thread that needle using every massive ship they had any stock footage of, including Mon Calamari cruisers that looked like copy-pasted footage of Home One.

Or maybe, as some have suggested, once they had they location, they could just go around? :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

My bigger concern for the larger fleet was that they showed Kylo dodging and weaving through the nebula as if every maneuver was manually guided by the wayfinder, with his fighter barely fitting.  Then they did it in the Tantive...V...  then they managed to thread that needle using every massive ship they had any stock footage of, including Mon Calamari cruisers that looked like copy-pasted footage of Home One.

Or maybe, as some have suggested, once they had they location, they could just go around? :p 

I'd like to see them do all that twisting and dodging with a Death Star. :D

Not sure if this has already been posted, but alongside the leaked Trevorrow script for IX, there also appears to be concept art: https://imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F

I think a lot of us will immediately jump to crowing how this version would have been so much better and what we got was trash and blah blah blah, but it's important to remember that these are just a script and some concept art. They're bits and pieces of a hypothetical movie, one that could have run into any number of problems or rewrites or whatever along the way.

Me, I like some of the ideas this works with. A more literally down to earth rebellion, being fought in the streets of Coruscant. Leia with BB-8... Rey wielding a double lightsaber is kind of ehhh, though. I've said before that it would be more interesting and more in line with her character if it was a single-bladed pole arm. Keeps more traits of her staff in there while also being unique to her rather than aping Darth Maul. The lightsaber execution block is also kinda dumb.

But eh. Anyway. Check it out.

48 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Not sure if this has already been posted, but alongside the leaked Trevorrow script for IX, there also appears to be concept art: https://imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F

It works because it would have logically followed TLJ better than what we got. But yes, is all a hypothetical since this is not the movie that was made and what we got. 

Real nice concepts! I really like Rey with the double saber. The longer length would better allow her to leverage strength from both arms against a larger, physically stronger attacker. Also I like the idea of a Jedi using a weapon similar to Maul, esp since a staff technique would be easily adaptable to it. A lot of good ideas shown there, though yes, the execution is most important otherwise all they are, are still just good ideas...

On 1/22/2020 at 9:50 PM, Chronocidal said:

For Ben finding his way back, we'd have to use the Force-McGuffin. Perhaps his connection to Rey allowed him to find his way..? IDK. That's just guessing.

Or, was the path stable enough that he could remember the way after having been through it once already? A map through a maze shows an established and stable path rather than one that continues to twist and shift from moment to moment. Otherwise the wayfinder would not work unless it was adaptive to the changing environment, which would be nearly impossible. Considering that Poe and the Resistance Fleet followed long enough after Rey went through for the route to have changed beyond any recognition, then I think it was stable enough in the long term for Ben to follow the remembered course. Good enough for me.;)

18 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I'd like to see them do all that twisting and dodging with a Death Star. :D

Read 'Empire from the Ashes' by David Weber. An omnibus of his Mutineer's Moon series. Moon-sized, spherical warships dodging around like fighters. Some of his best work.:D

Edited by Thom

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Nothing new in a galaxy far far away these days.. remember when one guy did it? Lol. 

Ever since Kathleen Kennedy took charge every single Star Wars project has been a disaster production wise with the exception of TFA and maybe The Mandalorian the latter of which she had little control over.

7 hours ago, Bolt said:

Cool concept art:good: i agree a pole arm saber better suits Rey. Would have been interesting to include Coruscant in the mix and go in a different direction. But ya, execution is the trick..

I always thought Rey would have been perfect using something like the lightsaber/staff combo you see used in some of the cinematic sequences for The Old Republic (or one of its expansions, I believe).
yz6jwbcjjgnz.png

However, I can safely say my biggest and most overwhelming disappointment in the fact that we didn't get to see that movie is the fact that we got cheated out of Luke becoming Kylo's Ghost Nappa.  All character destruction from TLJ aside, Mark could have had a freaking blast playing that part, and it hurts me deeply that he was denied that opportunity.

Edited by Chronocidal

12 minutes ago, slaginpit said:

There are a lot of gripes in the ST and SW series. My biggest gripe is how all these species seem to intermix without catching a nasty bug that wipes an entire race of beings

North american indians meeting the Europeans the first time..... I mean come on ...

Actually the ability for a natural disease to cross species that evolved on different planets would be quite remote.  What always ticks me off is that they can seemingly interbreed without issue, we can't even interbreed with other Terran species, how would we be able to breed with aliens that evolved in completely different ecosystems.

16 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Ever since Kathleen Kennedy took charge every single Star Wars project has been a disaster production wise with the exception of TFA and maybe The Mandalorian the latter of which she had little control over.

Definitely a woman's fault. Remember when she ruined the prequel trilogy? And put a bunch of muppets in RotJ?

40 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

What does Kathleen Kennedy's gender have to do with it?

Yeah, it does appear that some people, as a go-to response to any criticism of a woman in a position of power, immediately associate incompetence and hubris with being female as a means to invalidate said criticism, and to somehow impugn the character of the critic (the validity, or lack thereof, of the criticism being totally ignored for cheap rhetorical peacocking)... go figure. :rolleyes: