Most of my complaints have already been addressed. This really was a bad movie and definitely not what we deserved. I really wanted to hate it, but it had just enough charm that as big a mess as it is, I still ended up liking it. The characters were still likable even though they were stuck in a steaming pile.

I didn’t notice if anyone brought it up yet, if so sorry, but was Chewie the only one that for sure was getting some by the end? Everyone else had a partner die or got friend zoned or just totally turned down. I wasn’t sure about that Lando thing.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

I didn’t notice if anyone brought it up yet, if so sorry, but was Chewie the only one that for sure was getting some by the end? Everyone else had a partner die or got friend zoned or just totally turned down. I wasn’t sure about that Lando thing.

There was the "controversial " girl kissing girl scene. It's been hinted that Lando is the ex stormtrooper girls father..

11 minutes ago, Big s said:

So Chewie would still be the only one bringing in a new generation. Short furry big eyed children. Is this how Ewoks are born?

Well, actually, the early drafts of SW had action taking place on forest planet "populated by a more primitive version of wookiees".  That got cut, but they came back as Ewoks.  Of note, the Native People of the California close to Skywalker Ranch are the Miwok, pronounced like the Ewoks, so that's probably where Lucas got that name.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Lucas-change-the-final-battle-of-ROTJ-from-Kashyyyk-to-Endor

Edited by Mazinger

Hey so I know this is a Star Wars thread, but if you were sorely disappointed by TRoS and want something to cleanse your theatrical palate and remind you that good filmmaking and good storytelling still exist in this world, I highly recommend you see the movie 1917 as soon as possible. It's really, really, quite incredibly good.

I only bring this up because as I walked out of the theater I found myself comparing this to TRoS and found the latter so utterly lacking in every way despite having so much more inertia propelling it forward and every reason in the world to be a commercial and critical success. This film was cathartic.

Okay, tangent over, back to Star Wars.

23 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Hey so I know this is a Star Wars thread, but if you were sorely disappointed by TRoS and want something to cleanse your theatrical palate and remind you that good filmmaking and good storytelling still exist in this world, I highly recommend you see the movie 1917 as soon as possible. It's really, really, quite incredibly good.

Glad to hear.  I've been very interested in this.

TRoS was about the best we were going to get after the mess that was TLJ.  The issue with the ST is that they didn't plot the whole thing out from the beginning.  Like Lucas did with the OT, they shot from the hip, and TLJ shot them in the foot.  Having read the story treatment from the original writer, it looked interesting, but I cannot say that it read as better.  Disney/LF had a chance to truly change the face of the franchise and bring about a "good" end to the Jedi-Sith war.  Instead they made it clear that the prime SW movies are truly a Palpentine vs Skywalker story.  Whether the ending was "Good," who knows.  I know how I would have done it, but that is a discussion for another day.

My personal hope for the future of the franchise is that they get away from the Skywalker/Palps timeframe.  Go forwards or backwards and put a single voice in charge in the writer's room, a writer/producer who can reign in the directors.  Basically, have KK retired and put the team of Filoni and Favreu in charge.

Lucas did not plot out the OT.  He had a large bunch of notes but that is not the same thing.  The 2nd two (Empire and RotJ) were more or less plotted out however.  Luckily for Lucas however is he was not schizo - which is basically what JJ and Rian end up like when blending their films together.

21 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

too late. <_<

Oh pah. You don't count; one could sing the praises of Star Wars up and down the hills and valleys, and as long as they did so in this thread, you'd find some way to take it as an insult to you and the honorable name of your family. :lol:

21 hours ago, Mommar said:

Glad to hear.  I've been very interested in this.

20 hours ago, Big s said:

Star Wars was the most recent film I saw in theater. The one before that was Jojo Rabbit and I thought it was really well put together, so I kinda had the go from a great film to a mess, so maybe back to a great one with1917 soon.

11 hours ago, Thom said:

I'm sure 1917 is great, but that wouldn't make me like TRoS any less for some reason. Still a good movie for me!:D

Yeah, my fault; I didn't mean to imply that only those who disliked TRoS should see 1917. :lol: Obviously I think everyone should see it regardless of what they think of this movie. I meant to say I was simply comparing it to my previous theatrical outing, and TRoS happened to be in that unfortunate position. I imagine even if I had enjoyed TRoS, it would have compared unfavorably.

Edited by kajnrig

55 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Yeah, my fault; I didn't mean to imply that only those who disliked TRoS should see 1917. :lol: Obviously I think everyone should see it regardless of what they think of this movie. I meant to say I was simply comparing it to my previous theatrical outing, and TRoS happened to be in that unfortunate position. I imagine even if I had enjoyed TRoS, it would have compared unfavorably.

No prob M8!!:lol:

12 hours ago, Knight26 said:

My personal hope for the future of the franchise is that they get away from the Skywalker/Palps timeframe.  Go forwards or backwards and put a single voice in charge in the writer's room, a writer/producer who can reign in the directors.  Basically, have KK retired and put the team of Filoni and Favreu in charge.

Rumor has it they are going about four hundred years earlier, into what they are calling the High Republic era.

38 minutes ago, Thom said:

Rumor has it they are going about four hundred years earlier, into what they are calling the High Republic era.

Thought the last news we'd heard was that they were going all the way back to the foundation of the Jedi order?

Seriously what we need is R rated Star Wars.  Let the scoundrels be real scoundrels, let the megalomaniac bad guy be someone that can be feared, who isn’t above unleashing all sorts of horrors and expletives.

imagine if Kylo screamed “ frakk you, Dad” as he ran Han through with his lightsaber, that would provide a little more ooomph.   

and on the good guy side, we get Cassian Andor unchained... ha ha... that would be hilarious.  I am on the side of right and I do what it takes to win as he blows up an Imperial depot while causing a ton of collateral damage to nearby Ewok kids.  And when the whiny parent comes crying, he uses them as meat shields.

i would like to see Disney have the stones to do that.

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Seriously what we need is R rated Star Wars.  Let the scoundrels be real scoundrels, let the megalomaniac bad guy be someone that can be feared, who isn’t above unleashing all sorts of horrors and expletives.

imagine if Kylo screamed “ frakk you, Dad” as he ran Han through with his lightsaber, that would provide a little more ooomph.   

and on the good guy side, we get Cassian Andor unchained... ha ha... that would be hilarious.  I am on the side of right and I do what it takes to win as he blows up an Imperial depot while causing a ton of collateral damage to nearby Ewok kids.  And when the whiny parent comes crying, he uses them as meat shields.

i would like to see Disney have the stones to do that.

I don't think we need that by any means, because it really isn't fitting to the tone.  It would be interesting to see maybe, but I feel like the closest we'll get to that level is along the lines of Rogue One.

14 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I don't think we need that by any means, because it really isn't fitting to the tone.  It would be interesting to see maybe, but I feel like the closest we'll get to that level is along the lines of Rogue One.

Right? If we wanted "R" rated, we'd ask if they'd let Quentin Tarantino direct an SW film...

Edited by pengbuzz

Well, we already had the Empire and then the FO blowing up planets willy-nilly, killing billions in the process. The only thing the bad-guys didn't do was curse while doing it.;)

And then of course is the problem of making your heroes little different from your baddies, and using the context of anything for the 'cause.' It won't take too long before the only way to tell the difference between the good guys and the bad guys is the colors of their uniforms. I'd be rooting for them to kill each other out and leave everyone else alone.:D

well, I agree that it would not likely happen....  but hey it isn’t out of the question.  There can always be a side story that is down and dirty, look at how Fox did with their Marvel content.  You can bet some Disney execs have considered the idea at least.  The main playground is still very nice, but then there is this gritty dirty corner.

Appeal to the audience.  Go after a different segment.   :p

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Or The Mandalorian. ;)

1 hour ago, Mog said:

Or The Mandalorian. ;)

Fair, haven't had the time to watch that yet. ^_^ 

Honestly.. regardless of the quality or popularity of anything, one of the first things they need to do here is hire someone competent to actually make marketable merchandise.  This overlaps with storytelling to an extent, because without compelling action scenes and characters and vehicles, no one is going to want to re-enact them by zooming toy spaceships around the room.

But to be entirely blunt, let me sum up my thoughts on sequel trilogy merchandise.  The only things I have felt even even the smallest interest in buying were the LEGO sets, because they contained parts I could use to build better OT ships.  Let me say that again:  The only reason I bought any new merchandise was to kitbash it into the old designs.  That's absolutely my personal take though, because I hate that instead of attempting something new, they just reworked OT designs to hell and back.  On the other hand... given how the new designs in TLJ worked out, I'm not sure which is worse.

To be fair to the sequels, they did at least try to make the battles in TFA and TROS compelling (not even touching TLJ here).  But apparently writing good space battles is hard, so we got the largest fleet-based staring contest in cinematic history, punctuated by shots of fighters zipping around on fire, and closeups of Poe regretting his life choices.

I'm going to stop myself before getting into a rant about how Endor was so much more interesting to watch because the ships actually moved.  If anything, that final battle will provide a wonderful example for future generations of how to stuff so much bloat and fluff into a spectacle that it collapses under the weight.

But nevermind, it's not like the giant fleet to end all fleets was there for anything except displaying just how stupidly overpowered Palpy was when he singlehandedly disabled the -entire- -freaking- -fleet- via deus ex wtfaretheysmoking. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

Kylo called it " just a  memory" (or something like that) , at the time. I think it reflected his unstable and conflicted state. Han was obviously not a force ghost. 

Yeah, a very conflicted boy wrestling with internal demons. It could also be triggered by something Leia did. 

Toy Rant Time:  I’d love to have more toys and vehicles from The Mandalorian and later seasons Rebels.

Heck, who wouldn’t want to zoom around the Ghost or the Razor’s Crest?

But the problem is that vehicles are now cost-prohibitive with everyone moving to 6-inch scale figures.

Even if they were to go back to 3.75-inch scale, lots of these big-ticket vehicles are still a bit of a hard sell.  If they make ‘em too small, we’ll gripe that they’re too out of scale (even for 3.75” figures).

I get that manufacturers moved to the larger scale, because it was getting too expensive to make super-articulated figures at the smaller scale and sell them around $10.

But even at these larger scales, the figures are still a crapshoot to get the face-sculpts right, and accessories are kinda hit and miss.

The other sucky thing is that the larger scale kinda discourages folks from army building.

But yeah:  they’re aren’t too many memorable vehicles or designs from the sequel trilogy.