4 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

LOL...who still needs to be "sold" on Star Wars being "really that good"? :lol:  

Apparently according to him, in recent years (like the past decade, decade and a half) some historical critics have said not that it's bad but that it's basically overrated.

18 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

But who here (or anyone who would buy this) doesn't already have the first 8 movies on Blu-ray already?

I don't have any of them on anything.

...yeah...

6 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Apparently according to him, in recent years (like the past decade, decade and a half) some historical critics have said not that it's bad but that it's basically overrated.

No better way for a "critic" to call attention to him/her-self than to disparage a movie that is more or less universally liked by the fans of such things.....in other words....bashing Star Wars and defending it are more or less the same thing.....just sad attempts at calling attention to yourself and/or getting likes/views on YouTube...

15 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

No better way for a "critic" to call attention to him/her-self than to disparage a movie that is more or less universally liked by the fans of such things.....in other words....bashing Star Wars and defending it are more or less the same thing.....just sad attempts at calling attention to yourself and/or getting likes/views on YouTube...

Eh, without knowing too much about the specifics of their arguments, I can't comment much about them. The video itself is kind of unclear on what those arguments are, only going as far (from what I remember) as to say: "...many of our most beloved pop culture institutions are also among our least well-understood ... precisely because they're so well-beloved. So much of the modern critical discourse is about recontextualizing and reclaiming works that have been overlooked and pushed aside, that we often assume that the universally accepted canon is either already well-understood enough or became universally accepted precisely because there never was a lot to unpack there."

Boiling it down, it's basically "What made X movie/game/show/etc. super popular has kind of gotten lost to time, so people nowadays - especially those who want to puff up other, maybe smaller movies - sometimes minimize what made X movie/game/show/etc. super popular in the first place."

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

In Bob's defense, he has been working that that video for the better part of a year. However kajnrig had it right:

17 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Boiling it down, it's basically "What made X movie/game/show/etc. super popular has kind of gotten lost to time, so people nowadays - especially those who want to puff up other, maybe smaller movies - sometimes minimize what made X movie/game/show/etc. super popular in the first place."

11 hours ago, peter said:

Just watched it, I liked it.

Not hard to find something bad in anything.

Just went in expecting 50/50 chance I would hate it (heard about time he mixed reviews) .....turned out I liked it, didn't waste my money or time.

I'm not going to say I really liked it, but like you I went in with low expectations, and I honestly "enjoyed" it.  I'll have to see it at least once more, I'm pretty sure it crumbles under any scrutiny just like the others of the sequel trilogy, but I didn't leave the theater thinking I didn't want to see it again like I did with The Last Jedi.  My general impression after a rewatch this week culminating in The Rise of Skywalker, was that the sequels suffered from three things.  One, no concrete vision of where it was going.  I'm convinced that any JJ Abrams writing room consists of a bunch of people saying "You know what would look cool and/or mysterious!"  Then they write all those scenes together as a committee.  .  Two, one-upmanship, everything needs to be bigger and badder and more exciting than everything before.  "this doesn't make sense, but who cares, it looks cool!".  Three, as a result of the first two, there's no real story, just a few tangentially connected events in sequence.  Say what you want about the Prequels, and there is soooo much to criticize, but they existed to tell a story.   The sequels exist because Disney made a corporate crafted blockbuster that just happens to be set in a universe that so many people love.  nuf said. 

Edited by levzloi

44 minutes ago, levzloi said:

I'll have to see it at least once more, I'm pretty sure it crumbles under any scrutiny just like the others of the prequel trilogy, but I didn't leave the theater thinking I didn't want to see it again like I did with The Last Jedi.  

That is all I am asking for - a fun ride while sitting in the theater.  I had that with Force Awakens - I didn't have that with Last jedi or Phantom Menace.

The movie was a masterpiece for a Razzie Award.

Terrible chemistry among all the actors 

Stupid plot devices 

Lots of MacGuffins 

the men all seemed like retards needing damsels to save them 

the kiss at the end was shoe horned. 

I was talking to a bud in an elevator asked him if he liked it some guy next to me pushing his mother in a wheelchair said to us it was garbage lol

1 hour ago, levzloi said:

I'm not going to say I really liked it, but like you I went in with low expectations, and I honestly "enjoyed" it.  I'll have to see it at least once more, I'm pretty sure it crumbles under any scrutiny just like the others of the prequel trilogy, but I didn't leave the theater thinking I didn't want to see it again like I did with The Last Jedi.  My general impression after a rewatch this week culminating in The Rise of Skywalker, was that the sequels suffered from three things.  One, no concrete vision of where it was going.  I'm convinced that any JJ Abrams writing room consists of a bunch of people saying "You know what would look cool and/or mysterious!"  Then they write all those scenes together as a committee.  .  Two, one-upmanship, everything needs to be bigger and badder and more exciting than everything before.  "this doesn't make sense, but who cares, it looks cool!".  Three, as a result of the first two, there's no real story, just a few tangentially connected events in sequence.  Say what you want about the Prequels, and there is soooo much to criticize, but they existed to tell a story.   The sequels exist to because Disney made a corporate crafted blockbuster that just happens to be set in a universe that so many people love.  nuf said. 

You're probably not wrong about JJ and his style of movie making.

The real shame in this is that the Sequel Trilogy could have, and should have, been so much better. I don't hate them like others seem to (and go out of their way to constantly remind us of that fact), but the single biggest failure is that there wasn't a narrative road-map. I mean all they had to do is look across the hallway at Marvel.  

Also wasted is the acting talent, which was also significantly better than the Prequels, and a lot of the OT. 

28 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

That is all I am asking for - a fun ride while sitting in the theater.  I had that with Force Awakens - I didn't have that with Last jedi or Phantom Menace.

You'll get that, I'm going to my second viewing tonight. If I had to rank the Sequel Trilogy it would be RoS, TFA and finally TLJ. And I still rate them heads and tails above the Prequel Trilogy which outside of a few really nice light-saber duels I hated.

Anyway, it's nice to see rational posts (in favor of, or against the movie) sprinkled here and there in this thread, I'm sure the regularly scheduled unhinged negativity will return soon enough.

-b.

3 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

You're probably not wrong about JJ and his style of movie making.

The real shame in this is that the Sequel Trilogy could have, and should have, been so much better. I don't hate them like others seem to (and go out of their way to constantly remind us of that fact), but the single biggest failure is that there wasn't a narrative road-map. I mean all they had to do is look across the hallway at Marvel.  

Also wasted is the acting talent, which was also significantly better than the Prequels, and a lot of the OT. 

You'll get that, I'm going to my second viewing tonight. If I had to rank the Sequel Trilogy it would be RoS, TFA and finally TLJ. And I still rate them heads and tails above the Prequel Trilogy which outside of a few really nice light-saber duels I hated.

Anyway, it's nice to see rational posts (in favor of, or against the movie) sprinkled here and there in this thread, I'm sure the regularly scheduled unhinged negativity will return soon enough.

-b.

I HATED THE CREDITS!!! IT RUINED THE WHOLE THING FOR ME!!! THEY NEED TO REMAKE THIS WITH BETTER CREDITS  AND GET GEORGE LUCAS TO REWRITE THE CREDITS SCRIPT!!!

rofl

Edited by pengbuzz

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I HATED THE CREDITS!!! IT RUINED THE WHOLE THING FOR ME!!! THEY NEED TO REMAKE THIS WITH BETTER CREDITS  AND GET GEORGE LUCAS TO REWRITE THE CREDITS SCRIPT!!!

rofl

LOL! Basically 

Just got back from viewing number two. I enjoyed it much more this time because the “expectations” and anxiety of will this, or will this not suck were gone. 

I saw or read a review that said this installment could have easily been stretched to three movies and been a better trilogy than what we got.  And I agree. The movie had soooo much to reconcile and accomplish that it felt bloated. But it was a fun ride. 

-b.

Just got back from seeing it.  I went in with low expectations, since I thought VII was glorified fan fiction and VIII was just terrible.  And, yeah, the fanservice was strong with this one, but I think it was ok.  At no point was I checking my watch and wondering if the movie would be over soon like I was with Solo, anyway.  I think my biggest complaint, not just with IX but ultimately with the whole trilogy, is that the Star Wars universe is so big but ultimately they reset the status quo to Empire vs Rebels so they could tell basically the exact same story as the original trilogy.  Which is why, I think, the Mandalorian is getting so much love.  It's not Empire vs Rebels or Jedi vs Sith, it's taking a tiny piece of lore with minimal impact on the first six movies and worldbuilding with it.

Good heavens.   Talk about the most underwhelming,  anticlimactic, weightless movie to ever end a grand story.  Oh well, at least the T70 has a new paint scheme to collect.

Personal ranking of the movies:

#1 Empire 

#2 Rogue One

#3 Hope

#4 ROTS

#5 screw everything else...

Edited by myk

I just saw it, and I think it was OK, but could have been better (most especially with editing). I went in with low expectations and I am just relieved it is not a train wreck.

This is my ranking of the trilogy:

1. The Last Jedi
  2. The Rise of Skywalker
  3. The Force Awakens

Above might be counterintuitive to some here but I find half of what Abrams puts in his movies (that I've seen) seem uninspired. Sometimes I wonder what would have been if it wasn't JJ Abrams who got to do The Force Awakens. If you've seen his Star Trek movies, you get a feel for how he does franchises. His Trek movies were not garbage-level, but sometimes below par (hi there ST: Into Darkness). Or it could be Kathleen Kennedy's fault for choosing JJ. I can't say I'd trust George Lucas either. I look at Kevin Feige and man, Marvel Studios is so lucky.

That said I'm still thankful for the new characters he introduced, most especially Rey and Kylo. I think they are good characters and a nice addition to the Star Wars franchise. They also found great actors in Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley. In spite of some of the writing and execution, I like this trilogy. You might think I am too positive thinking, but those prequels were really forgettable and I'd rather have the current trilogy over it.

What I liked:

• I like how they incorporated Carrie Fisher's unused footage. It felt almost seamless and it was the best that could be done.
  • Loved the return of Lando Calrissian.
  • Rey and Kylo scenes.
  • Fanservice.

What I didn't like:

• Some new characters could have been done away with. I would have loved to see more sword fights/pew pew...
  • I have no idea why so I really cannot explain it, but the editing bothers me.
  • JJ Abrams playing safe (but understandable).

I'm not sure if I want to watch it again, because I am also eyeing Jumanji if it is still showing. I also wasn't really 100% focused into it as I took my nephew with me and I was checking up on him from time to time. We'll see...

20 hours ago, levzloi said:

I'm not going to say I really liked it, but like you I went in with low expectations, and I honestly "enjoyed" it.  I'll have to see it at least once more, I'm pretty sure it crumbles under any scrutiny just like the others of the sequel trilogy, but I didn't leave the theater thinking I didn't want to see it again like I did with The Last Jedi.  My general impression after a rewatch this week culminating in The Rise of Skywalker, was that the sequels suffered from three things.  One, no concrete vision of where it was going.  I'm convinced that any JJ Abrams writing room consists of a bunch of people saying "You know what would look cool and/or mysterious!"  Then they write all those scenes together as a committee.  .  Two, one-upmanship, everything needs to be bigger and badder and more exciting than everything before.  "this doesn't make sense, but who cares, it looks cool!".  Three, as a result of the first two, there's no real story, just a few tangentially connected events in sequence.  Say what you want about the Prequels, and there is soooo much to criticize, but they existed to tell a story.   The sequels exist because Disney made a corporate crafted blockbuster that just happens to be set in a universe that so many people love.  nuf said. 

This has also been largely my opinion of the Disney-era Star Wars. The movies seem to revolve more around acting like a theme-park ride than telling a story.

Edited by Shadow

24 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Sounds like you managed to stay away from all of leaks...but the movie was actually summed up weeks before the movie was released...literally, from start to finish..ALL OF IT...;)

For the last and final movie I really did try to avoid any & all spoilers or leaks, somewhere in my head I thought "Maybe they can pull off a satisfying finale" and that was going in with low expectations... whoops. 

4 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

For the last and final movie I really did try to avoid any & all spoilers or leaks, somewhere in my head I thought "Maybe they can pull off a satisfying finale" and that was going in with low expectations... whoops. 

ha!

I really don't mind getting spoiled...and for the most part it seems that most movies end up being just slightly different from the leaks, etc...

...but for TROS....they literally had "good" info on every single scene in the movie....I do not think I have ever read a full script leak that actually ended up being 100% FACT...the dialogue was just about the only missing bit...and they even leaked some of that too...it's almost as if Disney just didn't care

I really enjoyed it, and am legitimately surprised that amongst all the spoilers, no one has addressed the quantification of

Midiclorians. We now have a full visual representation of the ability Palpatine teased Anakin with in Sith. Both the Force Healing (also currently used by Baby Yoda) & theft of life force would have to amount to the manipulation of midiclorians.

Additionally, I can't help but think that since Palpatine used his abilities to impregnate Smee Skywalker with Anakin, Rey is even more justified in taking on the last name of her cousins.

And of course, I love that they pulled a Zeta Gundam with the final conflict.

I'm very satisfied with this resolution.

Edited by Keith

3 hours ago, slaginpit said:

I knew I saw this scene somewhere. 

image.png.840c8913a80f3f4d742190eb0adc111a.png

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

image.png.2b0b119581ef03983dc65bffc27a4211.png

:lol: Yeeeessss!

Just saw it today, going in spoiler-free, and enjoyed it. A few scenes brought a tear or two. And while some things raise questions (where did all those Sith come from?), it was a fun movie that answered all the major questions raised in Force Awakens, gave us a few last moments with OT characters, and ended on a high note with a likeable heroine who I hope gets some follow-up in one form or another.  Unlike some fans, I don't mind that JJ played it 'safe' with the story. The basic tenants of SW have long been good vs evil, family differences, roguish characters who blur the lines, but are still, at heart, good, spaceship battles, a plethora of creatures and droids, and one Force that binds them all together. This film gave me that, and, given the direction TLJ took, managed to bring the story back to where Force Awakens left off. JJ has his detractors, and I guess if you don't like his style, then you'll never be satisfied, but I liked the Force Awakens, and TLJ felt like such a detour from where TFA was heading, that it just seems jarring in retrospect. The only thing I recall liking from that film was the Hammerhead Cruiser smacking the crap out of a First Order Star Destroyer.:good: I can at least watch TFA and TRoS without cringing every five minutes like I do watching the Prequels. I tend to mellow on stuff over time, but I still find them pretty terrible.  

I will concur with an earlier statement  (I forget who said it, so apologies) that TRoS would have provided more coherency had it been the basis for the entire new trilogy and broken up into more films to tell the story. Or even if it had been made into two films, as there is a lot of jumping around in this movie, but it didn't bother me. It all came together and made sense in the end. And that's all I really required of it. Good film, and a good sendoff IMHO.

Just watched Jeremy Jahn's Spoiler vid a few posts back, and I have to agree with his observations. I still like TRoS, but , summing up, this film was basically trying to cap off the trilogy and do damage control from TLJ in 2.5 hours, where the story would have been better served as two films. Jeremy's critique of Rey and her abilities is spot on. I still like her as a character, though, and the fault lies more in the writing than in Daisy's performance.

Edited by M'Kyuun

TROS could easily have been slotted into  episode 2. I enjoyed the ride and can go on over the finer points. But why bother, there's plenty of that and more to come:lol:

I will just say, as far as where did all the Sith come from, they are a secretive lot. It shouldn't come as any surprise there's been So many skulking around the galaxy for who knows bow long. And , mind you, there will be more..:hi:

Edited by Bolt

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I will just say, as far as where did all the Sith come from, they are a secretive lot. It shouldn't come as any surprise there's been So many skulking around the galaxy for who knows bow long. And , mind you, there will be more..:hi:

Has that been revealed...that they were Sith...or just "Sith worshippers"...like the non-force sensitive members of the Church of the Force that was referred to in TFA? 

It was quite a good visual to see them all gathered and chanting....although it just opens up another whole can of worms...

I suppose if some survived and actually had Force powers, they could be the basis of the next series of films....

Also, were all the Sith Star Destroyers destroyed?  I would think that the "Rebels" would have wanted to try and save/help the crews since many would have been originally abducted as children....:unknw:

You are right...MANY MORE BOOKS TO FOLLOW....TOO MANY PLOT HOLES TO LEAVE UNFILLED...:rolleyes:

On 12/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, Dynaman said:

But who here (or anyone who would buy this) doesn't already have the first 8 movies on Blu-ray already?

That would be me. I just got the original trilogy on Blu-ray because I hate 2 out of 3 prequels, and decided to wait until 9 came out to decide if it was worth it getting a 3 pack of the new trilogy. I hate TLJ but TFA was watchable, at least.