1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Now, call me a pessimist and I'll cheerfully cop to it... but the Obi-wan Kenobi series feels like Disney Star Wars trying to die on the same hill twice. 

Didn't they learn their lesson from the fiasco that was Solo: a Star Wars Story?  Don't mess with established character backstory, it'll all end in tears.

Remember, they still need to kill Maul.  Yes, we know he died in Rebels, but that shouldn't stop anything for Maul v Kenobi round 27849

19 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Remember, they still need to kill Maul.  Yes, we know he died in Rebels, but that shouldn't stop anything for Maul v Kenobi round 27849

Come again?  Didn't he, y'know, die a little when Obi-wan removed the entire bottom half of him with a laser sword in The Phantom Menace?

Being cut clean in half at the waist and dropped down a kilometers-deep pit are usually fatal on their own, combined it ought to be a pretty sure thing.

22 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

It would be pretty lame if Obi-Wan's and Darth Maul's encounter on Tatooine during Rebels wasn't their first and last since Obi-Wan sliced and diced him on Naboo...

3 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Come again?  Didn't he, y'know, die a little when Obi-wan removed the entire bottom half of him with a laser sword in The Phantom Menace?

Being cut clean in half at the waist and dropped down a kilometers-deep pit are usually fatal on their own, combined it ought to be a pretty sure thing.

Assuming you really had no idea about Darth Maul's "comeback"....it should hardly be shocking....after all, the Emperor is back...and everyone and his grandma knows by now that "no one's ever really gone" in Star Wars anymore! :db:

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

Assuming you really had no idea about Darth Maul's "comeback"....it should hardly be shocking....after all, the Emperor is back...and everyone and his grandma knows by now that "no one's ever really gone" in Star Wars anymore! :db:

I've seen memes, but I didn't know whatever they were from was actually canon.  That's kind of awful in its own way.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I've seen memes, but I didn't know whatever they were from was actually canon.  That's kind of awful in its own way.

Under normal circumstances, which don't exist in Star Wars anymore....I would have felt his "return" was a bad idea...but his appearances and story arcs in The Clone Wars were pretty good, in my opinion....so I gave his "comeback" a pass....I am probably one of the few that was looking forward to seeing him in the rest of what probably was going to be a Solo Trilogy.....maybe D+ can still make the Solo sequels happen as direct to D+ movies....I'd feel good about paying my $3 dollar monthly subscription fee to see them!  

Basically any hope I have of anything Obi-wan related hangs on the fact that, in contrast to Solo, at least they have one of the original actors involved.

Beyond that.. eh.  I don't know how they plan to spin it.  I could see a few episodes worth of material involving Owen and Beru raising Luke, and why Owen thought he was a crazy old man, but like any prequel, you know the ending.

You really want to toss things up?  You write it as a young Luke sitcom in the Seinfeld vein, with Obi-wan playing Kramer.

Edited by Chronocidal

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Basically any hope I have of anything Obi-wan related hangs on the fact that, in contrast to Solo, at least they have one of the original actors involved.

Beyond that.. eh.  I don't know how they plan to spin it.  I could see a few episodes worth of material involving Owen and Beru raising Luke, and why Owen thought he was a crazy old man, but like any prequel, you know the ending.

You really want to toss things up?  You write it as a young Luke sitcom in the Seinfeld vein, with Obi-wan playing Kramer.

I would have been perfectly OK knowing that Obi-Wan grew old quietly on Tatooine watching over "The New Hope"...and the only "action" he ever ran into during his years of "exile" was taking down Maul for the second time as depicted on Rebels...

Seriously, if this new show has Obi-Wan carrying on with his lightsaber on a planet with an Imperial presence....how would that not catch someone's attention....like from all the "bounty hunters" that apparently exist in the Star Wars universe

11 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I would have been perfectly OK knowing that Obi-Wan grew old quietly on Tatooine watching over "The New Hope"...and the only "action" he ever ran into during his years of "exile" was taking down Maul for the second time as depicted on Rebels...

Seriously, if this new show has Obi-Wan carrying on with his lightsaber on a planet with an Imperial presence....how would that not catch someone's attention....like from all the "bounty hunters" that apparently exist in the Star Wars universe

Reminds me of Cal Kestis's line from the Fallen Order trailer. Don't stand out. Igniting his lightsaber would instantly ruin that. Heck, the instant Kanan Jarrus ignited his saber, that painted a big bullseye on him. Having a show where Obi-wan ignites his saber would attract an unhealthy amount of attention.

The only feasible story they could try to do is a parallel story of A'Sharad Hett and Obi-Wan.

Use a bunch of eps. to fill in some backstory and their shared history.

Intermix it with some current issue/story with the Tusken Raiders, possibly starting issues with Uncle Owen.

Bring everything together at the conclusion.

39 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yes, he came back . And got whooped  again by Obi-wan (sorry for the spoiler:lol:) I think they did it in the comics as well. It was kind of awful, bit it worked. And it added an extra deranged element to ole Maulie:lol: .

15 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

There's no way he could leave anyone alive if he has to whip out his laser sword:D  

While there was an imperial presence at that time , it wasn't heavily garrisoned. IIRC

Well, it's not like there was a huge Imperial presence in Tatooine at that time.

They only started showing up in droves once they figured out some battle station plans were ejected onto the planet.

Plus, Vader's mommy died on that planet;  probably not a place he likes to frequent.

Edited by Mog

7 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Yes, he came back . And got whooped  again by Obi-wan (sorry for the spoiler:lol:) I think they did it in the comics as well. It was kind of awful, bit it worked. And it added an extra deranged element to ole Maulie:lol: .

Honestly, my mind's ear wants a twice-dead Darth Maul to sound exactly like Nathan Explosion.  Even before he got chopped in half he looked like the bassist from a black metal band.

2 minutes ago, Mog said:

Well, it's not like there was a huge Imperial presence in Tatooine at that time.

Wasn't it controlled by the Hutts?  

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I know Solo was bad, but you saw the ending right?  Solo is post clone wars after all.

Anyway, Maul is as alive and kicking as he could be, he looked beefier too on Solo.  Not the gaunt and skinny version on Rebels

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Disney's whole reason for buying the Star Wars franchise from LucasFilm was because they saw it as an unsinkable, downright foolproof money spinner they could use to alleviate the studio's tendency to hemorrhage cash, possibly to hedge their bets for the inevitable bursting of the superhero movie bubble.  I doubt they had anything like the grandiose plans the Marvel cinematic universe team had.  They don't seem to have had much more in the way of a plan beyond expecting general audiences to eat up anything they put out as long as it had "Star Wars" in the title.  It doesn't feel like there was much in the way of a strategy for expanding the Star Wars story beyond flogging tie-ins to the original trilogy.

The issue is the change in Disney's business model. They have reduced their annual releases (no longer pumping out tons of straight to video sequel/side stories) and instead make bigger bets on fewer films. So, Star Wars was an easy business, not creative, decision. It's a perfect match for their model AND created the opportunity to create some revenues the way the company used to work. So yes, buying Star Wars was a purely business move and the thought was that they could throw talent at it and things would work out. That's why the franchise is constantly showing up in headlines associated with the newest hot names in Hollywood. On paper it was a sound strategy. What they didn't realize is how impossible the audience would be to please. Even if they produced the greatest Star Wars film (not that they have), it wouldn't match some kid with a Youtube channel's preconception of what was SUPPOSED to happen and discontent would be fomented. Fortunately for Disney, it's easily making back its money and even Solo wasn't a loss.

Star Wars as a franchise has always had problems with premature resolutions. Blowing up the Death Star only happens because no one thought there would be a sequel. To solve this.. they made another Death Star. Replacing Darth Maul with Count Dooku traded someone over-the-top imposing for a remote grandfather. Bringing back Maul just points to the notion that he was wasted... just like the Death Star. 

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, that and if they hadn't done everything in their mortal power to piss the Star Wars fans off.

Well, there is that.

But even before that happened, I think there's one thing that runs through all the Lucas Star Wars films that isn't present in ANY of the Disney films. Whether good or bad, the Lucasarts films were the movies that one guy wanted to make, more or less. The Disney films are typical Hollywood design-by-committee affairs, and the difference shows, no matter how much Hollywood wants to believe it doesn't. I'm not saying that The Force Awakens is WORSE than The Phantom Menace, because I believe you can make a good case for Episode I being the worst movie ever. I AM saying that The Force Awakens lacks a soul.

The Phantom Menace is a bad movie, but it is the movie someone wanted to make. The Force Awakens isn't the movie anyone wanted to make. It is a collection of check marks and bullet points that's been worked over by so many people that all the facets of whatever gem was once inside it have been worn off. Whatever made it special was cut off and polished away.

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It seems that falling down a HUGE shaft has no effect on the users of the Dark Side.  

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

...I AM saying that The Force Awakens lacks a soul.

Haven’t we been saying this for a while now? About Hollywood films in general? The unfortunate thing is now, Star Wars films are now just “Hollywood”-films. Maybe Scorsese has a point. 

7 hours ago, Bolt said:

Ya they're like zombies. Gotta go for the head or burn them:lol:

OMG, Star Wars zombies!! (Already been done..)

You know, they could just reboot Star War altogether, and we could end up with... Brokeback Star Wars, where Luke is a sensitive boy from Tatooine, Han is the gruff smuggler that is a diamond in the rough with a heart of gold, and Leia really wants to be a nun, but has no choice but to fight the evil Empire, and the story will be about Vader eventually accepting his kids lifestyle choices (after he cuts off Luke's hand of course).  Then there will also need to be all the usual social pressures.  That'll make a lot of people happy, and get Star Wars critical acclaim. 

Or, ok, zombie Star Wars are good too.  :crazy:

Edited by kalvasflam

4 hours ago, azrael said:

Haven’t we been saying this for a while now? About Hollywood films in general? The unfortunate thing is now, Star Wars films are now just “Hollywood”-films. Maybe Scorsese has a point. 

Maybe Scorsese can go frakk himself. :unknw:

You know the really sad thing here is that I do genuinely like all the actors in the new movies, they seem like they do have some chemistry together, it's just the writing and direction as been so terrible with the all knowing Kathleen Kennedy at the helm, that they have been brainwashed into thinking they have made 3 epic movies worthy of the name.  Sadly, it's just not so. In another life, I think the main cast COULD have been worthy torch carriers for the older movies if only better stories had been written and some general direction of story line/arc had been thought out beforehand. 

9 hours ago, derex3592 said:

You know the really sad thing here is that I do genuinely like all the actors in the new movies, they seem like they do have some chemistry together, it's just the writing and direction as been so terrible with the all knowing Kathleen Kennedy at the helm, that they have been brainwashed into thinking they have made 3 epic movies worthy of the name.  Sadly, it's just not so. In another life, I think the main cast COULD have been worthy torch carriers for the older movies if only better stories had been written and some general direction of story line/arc had been thought out beforehand. 

I'm actually more under the impression that they're fully aware of what they made.. but just like Mark Hamill, they're under agreements not to say anything bad about it.  They all seem to be jumping ship and leaving the franchise behind after this.

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

They all seem to be jumping ship and leaving the franchise behind after this.

I mean , it's not like any of them have been asked to reprise their roles anytime soon.

There is life (and a career presumably) after Star Wars.

19 hours ago, derex3592 said:

My feelings exactly. If the only good thing to come out of the latest trilogy is a career boost for Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver, it was totally worth it. 

22 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Amen