5 hours ago, Thom said:

I can't wait until the movie is out so we finally get to see what everyone is complaining about.:crazy:

Your wish will soon be granted amigo. I'll be going to my local theater where i can buy a beer and sit down to watch the Rise(demise, decline, ..?) of the franchise :p

What a way to end it all with a title like The Rise Of Skywalker ..

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

Your wish will soon be granted amigo.

Then, for a change, we'll hear the same crowd complaining about how The Rise of Skywalker was too big to fail and turned a profit despite being sh*t simply because it was Star Wars.

(Which will, for once, be something that's pretty easy to prove.)

On 12/4/2019 at 1:10 AM, kalvasflam said:

so, wait, Poe is going from being in an X-wing to riding a horse? 

You're thinking of the wrong reference for Poe.

He's flying his X-wing, in space fighting the First Order.
*Cut to...*

40 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

I think the movie will still break $1B easily, and given the bar has already been set so low, I would think RoS would easily clear it.  I am curious to see explanation for Palpatine.

No doubt this movie will make money. And that's the sad part. People will likely pay for crap.

17 minutes ago, azrael said:

No doubt this movie will make money. And that's the sad part. People will likely pay for crap.

Kinda what I meant about "too big to fail".  It's the finale of the Star Wars main series of movies, so people'll preorder tickets and pile into theaters with reckless abandon to see it just because of what it is... utterly without regard for quality.

The side stories don't have the same protection.

8 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Didn't all the "men" of this sequel trilogy "die" already? :db:

Nah, Poe is your various Cruise character rolled into one and put into the SW universe.  That’s how I look at it.  Think about it, the “I don’t take orders” attitude is Ethan Hunt, the pilot is Maverick, the sensitive side is from all of those nonaction Cruise movies.

36 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Kinda what I meant about "too big to fail".  It's the finale of the Star Wars main series of movies, so people'll preorder tickets and pile into theaters with reckless abandon to see it just because of what it is... utterly without regard for quality.

The side stories don't have the same protection.

I actually hope they expand back into the movies through the side stories like the Mandolorian.  Haha, may be we can get a series after that called the Corellian, focus: a Corellian smuggler that isn’t a Solo.  After that a series called the Coursanti, about a politician in the heart of that world... and so on, may be a series focused on a Rodian bounty hunter that’s kind of inept. (Son of Greedo perhaps)  Then wrap it all together in an ensemble movie... not like the Avengers...  but you know... kind of like the Avengers but in SW verse.  All led by Baby Yoda.  :hail:

16 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Nah, Poe is your various Cruise character rolled into one and put into the SW universe.  That’s how I look at it.  Think about it, the “I don’t take orders” attitude is Ethan Hunt, the pilot is Maverick, the sensitive side is from all of those nonaction Cruise movies.

I can't lump Poe in with the likes of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker...:nea:

I can't even lump Poe into a pool of actual characters.  He's a pile of action movie tropes brought to life in a Frankensteinien affront to storytelling.

He wasn't even supposed to survive TFA, but apparently none of the other non-characters had enough plot-relevant skills to get the job done.

Edited by Chronocidal

6 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

I actually hope they expand back into the movies through the side stories like the Mandolorian.  Haha, may be we can get a series after that called the Corellian, focus: a Corellian smuggler that isn’t a Solo.  After that a series called the Coursanti, about a politician in the heart of that world... and so on, may be a series focused on a Rodian bounty hunter that’s kind of inept. (Son of Greedo perhaps)  Then wrap it all together in an ensemble movie... not like the Avengers...  but you know... kind of like the Avengers but in SW verse.  All led by Baby Yoda.  :hail:

Spaceballs 2?

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I can't even lump Poe into a pool of actual characters.  He's a pile of action movie tropes brought to life in a Frankensteinien affront to storytelling.

He wasn't even supposed to survive TFA, but apparently none of the other non-characters had enough plot-relevant skills to get the job done.

I told you, Poe is the amalgamation of Tom Cruise characters.  He is basically the reimagined version of Wedge except with all the Cruise character traits.

i would so watch Space Balls 2, even if they digitally recreated John Candy.

You know... probably one of the best ways to do a Spaceballs 2?  Tell the entire movie as a sidestory to the first, where Yogurt helps Lonestar time travel back into the first movie, and accomplish a bunch of background tasks tangentially related to the original movie's plot happening. 

You make the entire second movie a literal flashback to the first one, and only film the absolute minimum of new material with the minimum amount of actors, and insert them digitally into the past scenes like they did for the DS9 Tribbles episode. ^_^ 

10 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Personally, I think that Star Wars's only way forward is to go anywhere that isn't contemporary to the existing trilogy of trilogies... go forwards, backwards, up and a bit to the left, ANYWHERE but in the vicinity of Episodes 1-9.  That part of Star Wars has worn out its welcome in a big way thanks to the sequel trilogy.  Put a couple centuries of distance between Star Wars and the Skywalker family's affairs.  That Old Republic movie trilogy sounds like a good way to do that.

My suspicion is that The Mandalorian will wear out the limited utility of its premise fairly quickly and Disney'll either cancel it after a season or two or they'll cling to the series as a Disney+ flagship and ride it down until it's as beloved as Solo: a Star Wars Story like CBS is doing with Star Trek: Discovery.

Nah, there’s a sandbox of characters Filoni could pull into the Mando’s neck of the galaxy.

EDIT:  But yes, they need to stay the hell away from the First Order, the Resistance, and probably barely a cameo of Luke’s Jedi Order, if even that.

Edited by Mog

22 minutes ago, Mog said:

probably barely a cameo of Luke’s Jedi Order, if even that.

As corpses perhaps.

they need to do a version of beach volleyball with Poe and Finn on one side and Han and Luke (at TFA age) on the other side.  Then use BB8 sans its head module as the ball.  As a homage to Top Gun, where Poe end up saying to Luke. “Bullshit, you can be my wingman.”

Remember, if the desire is to stick a middle finger to the fandom, go all the way.

Edited by kalvasflam

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Personally, I think that Star Wars's only way forward is to go anywhere that isn't contemporary to the existing trilogy of trilogies... go forwards, backwards, up and a bit to the left, ANYWHERE but in the vicinity of Episodes 1-9.  That part of Star Wars has worn out its welcome in a big way thanks to the sequel trilogy.  Put a couple centuries of distance between Star Wars and the Skywalker family's affairs.  That Old Republic movie trilogy sounds like a good way to do that.

My suspicion is that The Mandalorian will wear out the limited utility of its premise fairly quickly and Disney'll either cancel it after a season or two or they'll cling to the series as a Disney+ flagship and ride it down until it's as beloved as Solo: a Star Wars Story like CBS is doing with Star Trek: Discovery.

I believe the traditional Hollywood move at this point is a remake of the original movie.

Time to reboot Star Wars, with a reimagining the likes of which you've never seen before.

20 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I believe the traditional Hollywood move at this point is a remake of the original movie.

Time to reboot Star Wars, with a reimagining the likes of which you've never seen before.

That would likely cause a fandom revolt the likes we have never seen.

9 hours ago, Bolt said:

Agreed. Disney will continue to spin off now that the original story line is closing out. The comics will probably fill in between the newer movies . 

IIRC, didn't Disney's execs say that the Star Wars movie franchise was going on hiatus after The Rise of Skywalker a bit ago?

It sounds like the next move is to back away from Star Wars a bit to avoid oversaturating the market they way they've been doing.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

IIRC, didn't Disney's execs say that the Star Wars movie franchise was going on hiatus after The Rise of Skywalker a bit ago?

It sounds like the next move is to back away from Star Wars a bit to avoid oversaturating the market they way they've been doing.

Yes. Disney thought they could replicate the Marvel formula by tossing 2-4 movies out every year. But when Solo flopped at the box office and TLJ met with some serious backlash, that plan got crushed. With the success of The Mandalorian, it appears they want to leverage Disney+.

If they'd actually had a coherent vision for how it all tied together, they maybe could have pulled it off.

Comparatively, how rapidly were the first MCU movies released?  I feel like it took longer to spool up, because while they did have a larger plan, they took time to flesh out the details across several movies that, even without the larger universe, could stand alone as individual stories.

Hulk, Cap, and Thor were all “okay” movies, but they were clearly building up to Avengers.

Other than the Sequel trilogy, the Disney Wars movies are all off-shoots/side-stories.

I’m curious to see how they pull off the Obi-Wan series.  But if he ever gets off Tatooine between Sith and New Hope, I’m screaming BS.  Because there’s no way in hell, he abandons his primary mission.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I mean spin offs like The Mandalorian & Obi-Wan. I'm sure there will be more. And we already know a future SW trilogy was announced.

4 hours ago, azrael said:

Yes. Disney thought they could replicate the Marvel formula by tossing 2-4 movies out every year. But when Solo flopped at the box office and TLJ met with some serious backlash, that plan got crushed. With the success of The Mandalorian, it appears they want to leverage Disney+.

Disney's whole reason for buying the Star Wars franchise from LucasFilm was because they saw it as an unsinkable, downright foolproof money spinner they could use to alleviate the studio's tendency to hemorrhage cash, possibly to hedge their bets for the inevitable bursting of the superhero movie bubble.  I doubt they had anything like the grandiose plans the Marvel cinematic universe team had.  They don't seem to have had much more in the way of a plan beyond expecting general audiences to eat up anything they put out as long as it had "Star Wars" in the title.  It doesn't feel like there was much in the way of a strategy for expanding the Star Wars story beyond flogging tie-ins to the original trilogy.

The idea that there's a strategy here kind of feels shot all to hell with conflicting reports, leaks, and rumors swirling around The Rise of Skywalker debating whether it's even done or not two weeks before its box office opening.

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

If they'd actually had a coherent vision for how it all tied together, they maybe could have pulled it off.

Well, that and if they hadn't done everything in their mortal power to piss the Star Wars fans off.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

I mean spin offs like The Mandalorian & Obi-Wan. I'm sure there will be more. And we already know a future SW trilogy was announced.

Much like Disney's original plans for the Star Wars movies, that'll be contingent on how successful they are.  The Mandalorian is successful for now, but it remains to be seen if it'll have staying power enough to keep the spinoffs coming or if it'll go full Firefly.

If The Rise of Skywalker fails to meet expectations, it could hurt the prospects of future Star Wars spinoff projects too.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Much like Disney's original plans for the Star Wars movies, that'll be contingent on how successful they are.  The Mandalorian is successful for now, but it remains to be seen if it'll have staying power enough to keep the spinoffs coming or if it'll go full Firefly.

If The Rise of Skywalker fails to meet expectations, it could hurt the prospects of future Star Wars spinoff projects too.

Welp, they're already filming Season 2 of Mando, Season 7 of Clone Wars animated will be dropping in February, and, supposedly they'll start filming Obi-Wan next year.

The first two will be moving forward, regardless of TROS' results.

And I suspect hubris and/or stubbornness will force Disney to move forward with Obi-Wan, since they already made a big announcement about it.

At this point, for me, it all depends on who's running the show/film.  Filoni and Favreau get the benefit of the doubt.  Most those associated with the sequel trilogy, I'm scrutinizing heavily with heaps of salt. :acute:

14 minutes ago, Mog said:

And I suspect hubris and/or stubbornness will force Disney to move forward with Obi-Wan, since they already made a big announcement about it.

Now, call me a pessimist and I'll cheerfully cop to it... but the Obi-wan Kenobi series feels like Disney Star Wars trying to die on the same hill twice. 

Didn't they learn their lesson from the fiasco that was Solo: a Star Wars Story?  Don't mess with established character backstory, it'll all end in tears.