50 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Fair, the want to see him pilloried is a personal thing because I'm just sick of the character.

I would have absolutely cheered if Leia hadn't used the stun setting.

Certainly an understandable feeling... he's basically the sequel trilogy's low rent Han Solo replacement, but he has none of Han's redeeming traits.  He's just another underdeveloped character who happens to be a gung-ho moron.  Admittedly he would've had fewer opportunities to play the fool if his commanding officer(s) had kept him on a shorter leash or at least not been obstructive beyond reason the way Holdo was.

The worst part of the whole thing though is when he gets the giant lightbulb over his head in the last five minutes of the movie and goes "Oh.. so that's what leadership is!"  I wanted to take a shotgun to the screen.  I've seen characters with plot armor before, but I don't think I've ever seen such overpowered karma shielding.

I can think of a few, but they're mainly villain protagonists or reformed villains.

Spoiler

Garak from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is a pretty good example, as a former second in command of the Cardassian version of the gestapo guilty of many MANY counts of murder, assassination, torture, etc. who ends up not only never standing trial for it, he goes on to be the Cardassian ambassador to the Federation and then the Cardassian head of state.  The closest he gets to a rebuke is the Federation puts the Cardassian embassy at 78 Rue de Lille in Paris, the building that was the German embassy during both World Wars.

49 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

So now things have deteriorated to the point that it's "racist" to poke fun at make-believe races?

No, it's just mean to compare a character who actually did something useful (that Ewok) to a character who embodies a plot tumor (Rose). :p 

(And it's all tongue in cheek anyway.)

46 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Guess you missed Rogue One....:rolleyes:

Cassian is pretty clear that he's no hero, though because of Jyn Erso he gradually becomes more heroic as the movie progresses.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If you've heard anything about Lucas's plans for the sequel trilogy, what we got from Abrams and Johnson actually sounds less stupid.

(George reportedly wanted Star Wars VII thru IX to be basically a trilogy version of Fantastic Voyage about the midichlorians.)

Star Wars wasn't so much between a rock and a hard place as it was between Jar-Jar Abrams's dumpster fire and Lucas's tire fire.

I hadn't heard plans, but expected nothing great. Lucas forgets that he had a LOT of very talented help on the original films, and people capable of telling him "no".

The big problem the prequels had is that Lucas bought his own hype. He thought he made the original movies, and he didn't need advice from anyone else. But he did. He SO did.

41 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I hadn't heard plans, but expected nothing great. Lucas forgets that he had a LOT of very talented help on the original films, and people capable of telling him "no".

(...)

Or, honest friends telling him like it is:

"'What Is This ****?' How Brian De Palma & Steven Spielberg Reacted to the First Star Wars Screening

George Lucas invited his pals to an early screening of Star Wars, without the music or effects in it yet. The results were not good."

https://www.getblockbuster.com/post/what-is-this-how-brian-de-palma-steven-spielberg-reacted-to-the-first-star-wars-screening

23 minutes ago, Mog said:

You mean George needed someone to tell him that having Anakin touch Padme’s bare back in AOTC was a horrible, creepy idea?

Apparently, yes.

But just think of all the wonderful memes we wouldn't have if the prequel trilogy hadn't been written by someone almost totally unaware of how human beings speak and interact...

I love this new video, catapulting Quidditch troopers.  They should really rename this movie to: Rise of Skywalker: the final insult.... until we need to milk the fans again

at this point, I hope the end of the movie involves time travel, sending Rey back in time to Tatooine to become Shmi Skywalker... because why not.

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

I love this new video, catapulting Quidditch troopers.  They should really rename this movie to: Rise of Skywalker: the final insult.... until we need to milk the fans again

at this point, I hope the end of the movie involves time travel, sending Rey back in time to Tatooine to become Shmi Skywalker... because why not.

Quidditch troopers?  Nay, those are Adidas Troopers... Sith gopniks!

Image result for adidas trooper

Turns out Palpatine's actually Russian... we'll see him in the Death Star II's throne room, slav squatting, and he'll greet Rey with "You underestimate the power of the Dark Side, сука блять."

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

Why does Jedi Master Ray need a blaster by this point?

Hey, a laser sword is a fine thing but some asses cry out for a cap.

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Yeah.....you probably don't want to read the script leaks then. It gets close but yeah....

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Luke carried a blaster prominently in ESB.."Jedi master Rey.."? NOT!

ESB is the second movie.  He never used a blaster in ROTJ and they've already made Rey the Uber-Master Force user who can beat everybody else before this.  How come in her third movie she has to go back? 

12 minutes ago, Mommar said:

ESB is the second movie.  He never used a blaster in ROTJ and they've already made Rey the Uber-Master Force user who can beat everybody else before this.  How come in her third movie she has to go back? 

Yes he did, when he threatened Jabba.

30 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

They blew all their budget digging out and rebuilding the core of an entire planet for 30 years. :lol: 

Whenever someone talks about the Empire's money, I'm reminded of this:

11 hours ago, peter said:

72A40B91-F3A9-41F3-B339-12FE95E94243-1151774.jpg

That's just wrong in so many levels... but utterly hilarious.

Because speeder bikes are so yesterday, and we need a new frigging toy to sell.  So, Quidditch trooper launching motorbikes are perfect.  You can see it now, Rey and the rebels are on the run,  here comes the First Order sandbikes, and they are launching their Quidditch troopers, look at them go.

Edited by kalvasflam

On 11/26/2019 at 2:11 AM, JB0 said:

I am so glad we're talking about the Treadspeeder now. Because it is all KINDS of dumb.

Honestly, the best part of the whole thing is how the characters react to them.

3-CPO panics as is his custom, while Finn sounds outraged and slightly offended and Poe sounds wearily resigned to this bullsh*t.  Rey, meanwhile, seems to offended beyond words by their very existence and just starts shooting with a disgusted look on her face.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:20 AM, Sildani said:

The AT-AT was purely psychological. 

You have to admit, they're pretty effective in that regard every time they actually show up.