2 hours ago, Kelsain said:

I think that's what's brought my enthusiasm for the franchise down, more than the films themselves - the fact that EVERY Star Wars discussion thread I've seen over the last 2 years continuously repeats the same cycle of annoyances, angst, arguments, attacks and bickering after about 10 posts. It's just not that fun to share in the community of Star Wars anymore.

Sounds like a strong case of "the truth hurts."

I really don't want to see this movie in the theater, but I probably will because it's Star Wars. I'm just afraid I'll burst out laughing at something unintentionally funny and get pelted with popcorn by superfans. I really wanted to laugh at the end of Revenge of the Sith but I squelched it. 

5 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

The whole current trilogy negates the entire original trilogy.  The Empire wasn't defeated - it was reborn, The Emperor wasn't killed - he was reborn, The Jedi didn't return - they were nearly wiped out by one of their own.

You thought the heroes of Yavin were actually heroes and role models who saved the galaxy and had a happy ending?

Ha!  30 years later those losers failed us all.  Now that I think about it we're going to have another trilogy a decade from now that explains how the ghost of the ghost of the emperor is still alive and everything Rey did to save the galaxy back then was pretty pointless.

Again, I blame JJ for his stupid remake of the OT (TFA). At least the EU (or Legends) tried to make it work (but with a case of too many authors cooks in the kitchen, it was bound to end up as a mess).

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

To be entirely fair, the same was true of the old Star Wars Expanded Universe... and the Star Wars fanbase LOVED that sh*t.

The Empire stuck around for ages after its defeat, remained a threat,and even briefly reconquered the galaxy before being taken over by the a new Sith Lord.

Our boy Palpatine engaged in some downright memeworthy shenanigans to make death into an almost-literal revolving door and came back from the dead multiple times... never mind the Empire's ongoing fixation with apocalyptic superweapons.

The Jedi return, only to nearly get wiped out by one of their own on several different occasions... one such Jedi-turned-Sith Lord who essentially toppled the Republic was even Han Solo's son. 

So... exactly like the pre-Disney Star Wars continuations?

This was inevitable.  The series is called Star Wars.  Star Stable Government, Peace, Diplomacy, and Rational Thought goes by the shorter, rather punchier title of Star Trek.  Any kind of a continuation of Star Wars inevitably means a Happy Ending Override for the conclusion of Return of the Jedi.  The only way to have a resurgent Empire threaten the galaxy once again in thrall to the Dark Side of the Force is for our heroes to have failed utterly in the wake of Return of the Jedi's events.  Keeping that action going means the Star Wars Galaxy Far Far Away needs to be a grim, hopeless place semi-perpetually mired in hopeless wars against genocidal totalitarian powers puppeteered by devotees of the Dark Side.  There will never be a true and lasting victory for the forces of light.  The best they can hope for is to briefly hold the darkness at bay before it once more overwhelms the forces of light and drowns the galaxy in darkness, oppression, and misery so the next generation of plucky rebels can fight the exact same good fight and briefly triumph before evil sneakily triumphs again while they're busy resting on their laurels.

Regarding Palps-cloning shenanigans, at least it made sense given the "CLONE" Wars.
Pre-Disney Star Wars? The wars could have been on struggle to re-create the Republic after the Empire. But we got Empire-lite and Rebellion 2.0-minus-DLC-addons in these movies. 

^^Amusing little bit.

But in Star Wars’ case, it’s more the “crappy stories that don’t hold up to scrutiny the more you think about them” than the diversity push that’s an issue for me.

24 minutes ago, azrael said:

Regarding Palps-cloning shenanigans, at least it made sense given the "CLONE" Wars.

Granted, but it still came out of left field waaaaaaaaaaaaay before he was revealed to have been the architect of the Clone Wars themselves.

Bringing him back now, after spending two movies on his tacky replacement goldfish Snoke, is definitely a cheap trick though.

24 minutes ago, azrael said:

Pre-Disney Star Wars? The wars could have been on struggle to re-create the Republic after the Empire. But we got Empire-lite and Rebellion 2.0-minus-DLC-addons in these movies. 

Oh, they could have been... but they weren't.  There were sidequests here and there, but pre-Disney Star Wars continued to prominently feature the remnants of the Empire and the Sith as a main antagonist faction for decades after Return of the Jedi.  Disney's Star Wars is little different to what LucasFilm Star Wars was doing with the Expanded Universe, it's just got less time to beat the same dead horses the Expanded Universe had been determinedly tenderizing for decades.  About the only respect in which it materially differs from its EU predecessor is that it's the new kids doing all the heavy lifting instead of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and their closest friends and family members solving every galactic crisis for three decades without so much as an afternoon off.

I'm not interested in listening to anything the Borg hive mind of social media influencers have to say about a 2 minute collection of disconnected scenes. What I am interested in is seeing the last of the new trilogy, which I will do come December. Like the original and prequel trilogy, the new trilogy has its faults, but I've enjoyed each new chapter (as well as the side stories, albeit some of those are more popular than others). In any case, for this old fan, I expect The Rise of Skywalker will be fun to watch on the big screen too.

So yeah. I'm still not jaded about Star Wars, even though all the new kids with their new toys are trying to get me to think that way.

Edited by technoblue

It’s not all “new kids with their new toys” who are jaded with the new trilogy (It’s probably the opposite actually).

You’re entitled to your view, just as I’m entitled to my “Nah, this new trilogy hasn’t done much for me, so I’m gonna pass on watching its conclusion.”

Just because I’m a fan of Star Wars doesn’t mean I’m obligated to go watch a film I’m not all that into.  

If the reviews are good across the board, MAYBE I’ll catch it in theaters.  But right now?  I feel no need to watch out of obligation, compulsion, or some sense of completion.

4 hours ago, Mog said:

It’s not all “new kids with their new toys” who are jaded with the new trilogy (It’s probably the opposite actually).

The idea of streaming one's opinion and bias using computer technology is relatively new, though. Hence my comment. 

It wasn't really about a literal age group.

You’re entitled to your view, just as I’m entitled to my “Nah, this new trilogy hasn’t done much for me, so I’m gonna pass on watching its conclusion.”

Just because I’m a fan of Star Wars doesn’t mean I’m obligated to go watch a film I’m not all that into.  

If the reviews are good across the board, MAYBE I’ll catch it in theaters.  But right now?  I feel no need to watch out of obligation, compulsion, or some sense of completion.

*sigh* I'm not speaking about entitlement. If you want to wait for reviews and then go see the film, then that's great. You do you. I don't think there is anything wrong with that approach and I'm certainly not pushing for anyone to watch Star Wars or any other popular franchise out of a sense of obligation or completion. Why would I even want to do that? I can only be held accountable for myself.

You see, I want to make my own decision too. Where we split is on the need for getting someone else's input. I don't need a critic, social media, or internet rumor to confirm some bias. I want to make up my own mind the day of and experience the event, even if I don't like it when it's all over.

On more of a secondary tangent, I also don't need social media to ruin things for me by revealing spoiler points because everyone is hating on some thing that some writer/director/character does that they don't appreciate. Of course, that in itself is related to a beef that I have on social media trends in general; however, it is a topic better saved for another time.

15 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

As far as Star Wars trilogy ending trailers go I think ROTS did it right, didn't expect Palpatine to get so interesting!! ROTJ was pretty damn amazing for its time though.

Man, ROTS trailer really came from the era of a trailer being an entire movie in 90 seconds didn't it? 

I bet my Youtube channel would have way more subscribers if I just ranted constantly about how everything sucks. Like, if my DX VF-1 review was twenty minutes of me rage freaking over the disconnecting hip bar, I'd go viral or something. 

53 minutes ago, technoblue said:

The idea of streaming one's opinion and bias using computer technology is relatively new, though. Hence my comment. 

It wasn't really about a literal age group.

. . . . . 

You see, I want to make my own decision too. Where we split is on the need for getting someone else's input. I don't need a critic, social media, or internet rumor to confirm some bias. I want to make up my own mind the day of and experience the event, even if I don't like it when it's all over.

Thanks for the clarification on the “new kids” comment.

Regarding my wait-and-see approach, it’s not so much waiting for reviewers to shape my opinion or confirm my biases.  It comes more from a “Fool me once, shame on you (Disney).  Fool me twice, shame on me” approach.

After finding TFA surprisingly okay, I took the plunge and went opening weekend for TLJ.

TLJ was a massive disappointment to say the least, and I don’t see the need to reward Disney with another opening weekend viewing plunge.

TROS could turn out to be good, but with 2/3rds of the sequel trilogy already told, I don’t find enough in the story told so far that makes me want to continue on.

Well, I still got the zings from watching the trailer. It looks adventurous, dramatic and exciting which, honestly, the trailers have always managed to do. I'm looking forward to seeing it in theater a couple times at least. Yes, TLJ dropped the ball in a bad way, and by TLJ I mean Johnson, Kennedy and Abrams as well, but TFA was exciting and fun and I'm trusting Abrams to deliver that at least. I'm also hoping they've learned from the bad responses and do a few 'course corrections' that keep us out of the dreaded 'mystery box' complex.

If I had my wish, Palpatine's return would have happened during TLJ, to really feel it grow organically. Have it happen in the background, with him subtly pulling Snoke's strings (and giving us an explanation for Snoke in the offing) with his final reveal at the very end. Not what we got though. So, is it going to feel a bit rushed then, throwing him in at the end and trying to get the answers that were never picked up after TFA? Probably. But I'm alright with that as long as I get good answers and an exciting ride, and a meaningful end to wrap it all up.

Edited by Thom

On 10/16/2019 at 8:42 AM, TehPW said:

Rage mode: 11. (warning: Freddie PJr has a rather surprising potty mouth). Does anyone know about this rant that FPJr did recently?

Well, seems like Freddie Prince Jr found more work:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/prinze-jr-joins-punky-brewster-revival/

"Freddie Prinze Jr. has joined the cast of the pilot for the “Punky Brewster” sequel in the works for NBCUniversal’s upcoming Peacock streaming service."...“Scooby-Doo” and “She’s All That” actor Prinze Jr. will play the recurring role of Travis, Punky’s working musician ex-husband. Travis remains a good father and has lingering chemistry with Punky, but travel takes him often away from town.

Doesn't seem like it will take up all of his time, wish Disney would do more with him and his character from Rebels, though that would require some set up.

So apparently the second Death Star's wreckage landed on another entirely different "moon."  

The explosion was so powerful, the wreckage blew clean out of the Endor moon's orbit, out of the orbit of its parent planet, out into space, and crashed into a different moon of another planet.  :blink: 

Someone needs to slap the entire writing team upside the head with a physics textbook.  First there was gravity in space, now this...  And here I was perfectly okay with the forest moon having an ocean.. heaven forbid any planetary body in Star Wars have more than one biome. :rolleyes: 

It does make me wonder though.. how much explosive power would it take to blow up a large object in Earth's orbit, and have the debris land, say, on Phobos?

Edited by Chronocidal

There's nothing "science" about this fiction though.  We've hit the realm of pure fantasy. 

29 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Only enough to get it out of Earth's orbit.  After that it is pure luck

See though.. that's a long freaking way.  You'd have to blow it over halfway to Mars before its gravity would overpower Earth's pull.

For the purposes of Star Wars though, that is going too deep into physics, considering we have tiny craft that easily just accelerate directly away from planetary bodies.  Gravity seems to only apply when it's convenient. :p 

I honestly cannot put my finger on it, but for some reason, everything in these new movies seems several orders of magnitude less plausible than the previous six.  It doesn't make sense, and nostalgia probably plays a decent role, but everything in the new trilogy seems to twist old concepts around in ways that feel wrong on a fundamental level, even if it feels like they really don't make any less sense than what came before.  :huh: 

Edited by Chronocidal

Here's the thing with Physics in Star Wars.  Prior to the new trilogy, there was one theoretical element that could explain all SW tech, Negative Matter.  Not Anti-Matter, but Negative Matter.  While theoretically possible and even plausible, Negative Matter (NM), acts completely opposite of normal matter, having negative mass and energy.  If SW tech had a way to harness and utilize NM then suddenly all the tech, even lightsabers become plausible.  See the plasma sheeth of the lightsaber would basically be a byproduct of the kyber crystal extending a negative mass "blade."  Rogue One and Solo even contribute to it, showing how reliant on crystals SW tech is.  Those Kyber Crystals and Coaxium are likely the means by which they harness and utilize NM, and even explains how a hyperdrive could "leak" it is leaking negative matter because the Coaxium matrix is damaged.

While TFA and TLJ didn't completely destroy that theory, they did punch massive holes in it, especially the gravity dropped bombs in TLJ (I almost walked out at that point).  Even the fleet running out of fuel made sense (sort of) as normal space travel would largely use fusion engines, the Coaxium is used more to negate mass in hyperdrives and speeders.  But even it could get used up.

I need to find the write up I did on the subject.

Edited by Knight26

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

So apparently the second Death Star's wreckage landed on another entirely different "moon."  

The explosion was so powerful, the wreckage blew clean out of the Endor moon's orbit, out of the orbit of its parent planet, out into space, and crashed into a different moon of another planet.  :blink: 

Well, they did essentially have an explosion powerful enough to vaporize most of a moon-sized space station made of armor-grade materials... so it wasn't exactly an M80.

That said, the Death Star wreckage is on a different moon orbiting a different planet?  Not another moon orbiting the same planet?  It'd be easy if it was another moon orbiting the same planet... but another planet entirely?

Someone needs to slap the entire writing team upside the head with a physics textbook.  First there was gravity in space, now this...

Depending on how artificial gravity is achieved, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for it to extend beyond the inner hull of the ships creating it... to facilitate repair and maintenance work, for instance. 

(Macross does this deliberately for the various space flattops to recover fighters... throwing a 0.5G gravity field up over the deck.  WH40K has a similar situation, albeit by convenient accident, where the exteriors of large ships not only have appreciable but low gravity but also a very thin atmosphere being held in place by the artificial gravity generators and the ship's shields.)

And here I was perfectly okay with the forest moon having an ocean.. heaven forbid any planetary body in Star Wars have more than one biome. :rolleyes: 

Honestly, I'd be more put out that blowing up something the size of a moon and made of blast-resistant armor material in the forest moon's orbit didn't essentially destroy the moon's entire surface with debris strikes.