I don't think there is anyway I will have the same feeling at the end of Rise of Skywalker as I did at the end of Return of the Jedi. Questions answered or not. Especially if they are bringing stuff from the prequels back. Few people want to even remember those movies.

3 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I don't think there is anyway I will have the same feeling at the end of Rise of Skywalker as I did at the end of Return of the Jedi. Questions answered or not. Especially if they are bringing stuff from the prequels back. Few people want to even remember those movies.

My feeling at the end of RotJ was "that was really mediocre".  I'm fairly certain I'll have the same feeling at the end of RoS.  On the plus side that would put it a step up from TLJ where ESB was the pinnacle of the franchise.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Okay, my guess on Rey's lineage: she's cloned from Luke's severed hand. That would qualify Kylo's remark about her coming from "nobody".

Pfft.  I hate that idea with every fiber of my being, but it would definitely explain the "connection" she felt to the saber in TFA, and how she flashed back to that exact time. :rolleyes:

If they can't come up with something better than that, they need to all just flat out give up, and just let Timothy Zahn write the rest of their movies.  They lifted enough ideas from him already.

I don’t mind the idea of Rey coming from nobody’s.....I just hated that it flew in the face of what they hinted at in TFA. It was like they were purposefully trying being difficult.

Chris

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

I don’t mind the idea of Rey coming from nobody’s.....I just hated that it flew in the face of what they hinted at in TFA. It was like they were purposefully trying being difficult.

Chris

Kind of like how TFA explained Luke went to find the first jedi temple and left a map behind in case he was needed, but in TLJ he went into exile to die and didn't want to be found?

Yeaaaaahhh... the entire plotline of this new trilogy never made sense to begin with, and Hamill pretty much nailed it when he said he was playing "Jake Skywalker."

I feel like we've been getting an alternate timeline reboot of the franchise that they sneaked in under our noses. <_< 

19 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Pfft.  I hate that idea with every fiber of my being, but it would definitely explain the "connection" she felt to the saber in TFA, and how she flashed back to that exact time. :rolleyes:

If they can't come up with something better than that, they need to all just flat out give up, and just let Timothy Zahn write the rest of their movies.  They lifted enough ideas from him already.

Honestly, I hate the idea as well: it feels cheap and creepy at the same time, almost like she's a hand puppet for Luke or something. O.o

9 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Kind of like how TFA explained Luke went to find the first jedi temple and left a map behind in case he was needed, but in TLJ he went into exile to die and didn't want to be found?

EXACTLLY. 

Chris

It all comes back to them not having a strict story arc to follow through the movies. Johnson was literally handed plot threads and told to do whatever he wanted with them, no matter what the intent was in TFA. That's not how you do a series, that's how you do a loosely tied together anthology. In truth, that's where everything got *ucked up.

25 minutes ago, Thom said:

It all comes back to them not having a strict story arc to follow through the movies. Johnson was literally handed plot threads and told to do whatever he wanted with them, no matter what the intent was in TFA. That's not how you do a series, that's how you do a loosely tied together anthology. In truth, that's where everything got *ucked up.

I think it got messed up when Jar Jar Abrams took the reins, TBH.

11 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Really, I think that's not necessarily a contradiction.

Luke went looking for the first Jedi Temple to find some hope for the future and succumbed to despair along the way because he didn't really find anything to boost his spirits since it contained proof that this kind of thing happens a lot.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Really, I think that's not necessarily a contradiction.

Luke went looking for the first Jedi Temple to find some hope for the future and succumbed to despair along the way because he didn't really find anything to boost his spirits since it contained proof that this kind of thing happens a lot.

I mean, if that's the way they want to go, fine, but that might be literally the most depressing storyline possible.  Literally having the hero go into a crippling depression, and crawling into a cave to die?

1 minute ago, Chronocidal said:

I mean, if that's the way they want to go, fine, but that might be literally the most depressing storyline possible.  Literally having the hero go into a crippling depression, and crawling into a cave to die?

Only to return as a massive troll trickster mentor to the hero of a new generation?

An oldie but a goodie in mythology, but you can understand why Yoda's force ghost showed up to chew him out later... Luke was stealing his bit.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:16 PM, pengbuzz said:

Okay, my guess on Rey's lineage: she's cloned from Luke's severed hand. That would qualify Kylo's remark about her coming from "nobody".

I stand by what I've said since day one, Rey is an Anakin clone.

13 minutes ago, Keith said:

I stand by what I've said since day one, Rey is an Anakin clone.

Since anything insane is on the table thanks to creator dickery, I propose that Rey is Leia's illegitimate child via Chewbacca... Han did say she could use a good kiss. :p 

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

And she did say she'd just assume kiss a wookie..:lol:

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Since anything insane is on the table thanks to creator dickery, I propose that Rey is Leia's illegitimate child via Chewbacca... Han did say she could use a good kiss. :p 

*grabs eyebleach and uses entire jug*

See...now that I actually kind of would have gotten behind more than where they went with Luke in the 2nd movie.  I always considered Luke "on the fence" between Light and Dark in ROTJ. He went allllmost over to the dark when he put the final smack down on Daddy dearest in front of the Emperor. He went full "Jedi" after he tossed his saber. But we know what Jedi can turn dark (Dooku), so yeh, that would have been a good twist to the story IMHO. 

I would have preferred to see Luke go full on Grey Jedi, embracing both light and dark, but spent years wrestling with how because he did not want to fall like Anakin and Ben.
Rey could then have been the lynchpin to show him how to maintain balance, somehow, I would have to think it out more.
Though I do have to say that his force projection battle against Ben was the most Jedi thing ever, using the Force for Knowledge and Defense, Never to Attack.

On the whole, the new trilogy is plagued my a ton of issues, including a lack of singular vision.  Say what you will about the prequels, but with George riding honcho on it he had a singular vision of what he wanted to see happen.  Whether that translated properly to screen, and whether it was a good vision is not the point, he kept it on track.  The New Trilogy is just a mess and I have little faith in JJA to fix it in the span of a movie.

20 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

Say what you will about the prequels, but with George riding honcho on it he had a singular vision of what he wanted to see happen.  Whether that translated properly to screen, and whether it was a good vision is not the point, he kept it on track.  The New Trilogy is just a mess and I have little faith in JJA to fix it in the span of a movie.

Yep!

Say whatever you will about the acting in the prequels, or the quality of the films themselves, but they at least told a mostly compelling and coherent story.  The new trilogy flipped that on its head, and now we have an amazing performance of someone's terrible Star Wars fanfic.

27 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Say whatever you will about the acting in the prequels, or the quality of the films themselves, but they at least told a mostly compelling and coherent story.  The new trilogy flipped that on its head, and now we have an amazing performance of someone's terrible Star Wars fanfic.

If the rumors are true, less someone's fanfiction and more someone's incredibly clumsy attempt to write around characters George Lucas still gets paid royalties for the use of.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

True - but the story as directed wasn't well done and well "NNNNNoooooo".....  Takes a LOT of ineptitude to make Vader such a wimp.  Darth Millennial was always a wimp so no problems for them messing him up.  

13 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

True - but the story as directed wasn't well done and well "NNNNNoooooo".....  Takes a LOT of ineptitude to make Vader such a wimp.  Darth Millennial was always a wimp so no problems for them messing him up.  

Heheh.. yeah, it's mostly just my thought that if you take the key points of the plot, separate from any actual dialogue or acting, the story mostly flows pretty well.

I can't say that about the new trilogy in even the slightest sense.  Nothing about the story flows from one point to the next with any coherence, and every character seems to be stumbling their way through the plot with their pants over their head.

Actually.. I just realized something about TFA that has bugged me for a while, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  The entire movie depends on the incomprehensible coincidence that Han just happened to be floating around at the right time and place to yank the Falcon into his cargo bay.  That's like randomly stepping on a needle on a planet covered in haystacks, and it painfully reminds me of the opening scenes of Star Trek Nemesis, where the crew just happens to suddenly detect another copy of Data somewhere in space. :rolleyes: 

If they had actually written him to be looking for the Falcon at the time, it would have at least made passable sense.  But no.. he was in the middle of transporting a bunch of tentacle monsters in search of a doujinshi. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

15 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Hey now!  That bit about Han showing up at just the right time and place is one of the more logical things in the latest movies...  I kinda, halfway, remember some throwaway dialog to "explain" it and just went along for the ride.

I think explanation was actually in the secondary media  (a big JJ-ism).  The Falcon had some manner of tracking device on it that Han never got rid of, and only started transmitting again once the ship was in space or some nonsense like that.