I re-watched Rogue One this past weekend, and was reminded of how strong a movie it is. It shows how important a good story is to a movie, which is something Rise of Skywalker didn’t have, in my opinion. Rogue One includes almost as many OT tie-ins (or Easter eggs, if you will) as RoS; but executed them in a way that felt less heavy-handed and less fan-service-y.

4 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I re-watched Rogue One this past weekend, and was reminded of how strong a movie it is. It shows how important a good story is to a movie, which is something Rise of Skywalker didn’t have, in my opinion. Rogue One includes almost as many OT tie-ins (or Easter eggs, if you will) as RoS; but executed them in a way that felt less heavy-handed and less fan-service-y.

I have always liked RO, my only nitpick was killing off Cassian and Jyn, but it is understandable why they did it ....in all fairness, the OT tie-ins should work better in RO since it essentially takes place during the OT timeline...sort of how well they also work in The Mandalorian

RO is basically a great prologue to the OT and The Mandalorian is a great prologue leading to a disappointing ST....:(

RO respected the "sacred" source material....

TM had no choice but to be great after the ST shat on everything that came before it....then realizing the mistake, over-compensated by trying to throw as much OT-cred as it possibly could to try and recover.....whoever came up with Baby Yoda should be in charge of Lucasfilm for Disney

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

... Is it just me, or was that trailer full of scenes not even in the final cut?

There were a lot of shots I didn't recognize, but -- given how quickly the film faded from my memory -- I cannot confirm whether any of them were in the final cut.  The Rise of Skywalker made no lasting impression on me whatsoever.

The Last Jedi pissed me off, but at least it didn't BORE me...  <_<

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dobber said:

Finally get a good look at the Resistance B-Wing. I like it as an update just as I’m a fan of the T-70.

C277F8A7-E809-4B4F-8D43-D6AB72F8944A.png.abb97978e56d53714730989ca271ca7a.png
7453DAC0-3FDC-49B6-BC3A-ED6CD6E9744B.jpeg.a847438b743cd3502df762dc2649ad7c.jpeg

That's kind of an awful paintjob... it just looks dirty, like a car that went down a dirt road during a rainstorm.

42 minutes ago, Mommar said:

What's with the cockpit design?  Different just to be different even though it doesn't flow into the rest of the design at all anymore.

Looks more like they had leftover Nostromo excape pod molds to use.

Edited by Dynaman

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Different just to be different even though it doesn't flow into the rest of the design at all anymore.

Rumor has it that Disney doesn't have to pay royalties to Lucasfilm on designs that are "legally distinct" from a pre-existing OT design, thus they can pocket 100% of the merchandising profits (which conveniently explains all the new Imperial troops in Rogue One, the lame speeder bikes and walkers in Rebels, the Falcon's radar dish, C-3PO's red arm, etc. etc.)

Edited by tekering

While there's certainly truth that original designs would be free and clear, many of those examples would not pass muster. Sounds like some fans are confusing the usual slight visual tweaks to sell people the same toy they already own as something more clever.

17 hours ago, Dobber said:

Finally get a good look at the Resistance B-Wing. I like it as an update just as I’m a fan of the T-70.

C277F8A7-E809-4B4F-8D43-D6AB72F8944A.png.abb97978e56d53714730989ca271ca7a.png
7453DAC0-3FDC-49B6-BC3A-ED6CD6E9744B.jpeg.a847438b743cd3502df762dc2649ad7c.jpeg

Looks like a B-Wing and the Serenity had a bastard love child.

52 minutes ago, jenius said:

While there's certainly truth that original designs would be free and clear, many of those examples would not pass muster. Sounds like some fans are confusing the usual slight visual tweaks to sell people the same toy they already own as something more clever.

I think it more comes down to a case of "Why should we expend the effort to design something original when we can slap a few new greeblies and paint on old concept art, and use that?"  Throw a few new panel lines and asymmetrical features on classic McQuarrie sketches, and call it a day. :rolleyes: 

I'm not going to argue that there isn't a real life precedent, considering how real aircraft have developed over the past 30 years, but it comes off as lazy as all hell.  They were given the chance to establish an entirely new generation of iconic spacecraft, armor, and technology designs (something Lucas managed with each of the previous six movies), and they just couldn't be arsed to bother.

The fleet of Death Star Destroyers in TRoS were the penultimate example of this nonsense, as well as being a prime example of peak-JJ.  He pulled a JJ-Prise on the Rogue One CGI model, because making a new and more impressive star destroyer to mount his BFGs on was just too hard. <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

Many SW ship designs have carried a similarity over the eons . In order to keep some level of familiarity and the "tried and true " concept. BUT Lucas did introduce many new designs in the prequels. The M'(ouse)pire did introduce a few new designs (TLJ bomber anyone?). But mostly recycled heavily. Now was this for nostalgia or for ease of pocket book? I tend to follow the money..

18 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm not going to argue that there isn't a real life precedent, considering how real aircraft have developed over the past 30 years, but it comes off as lazy as all hell.

It's not that they were being lazy... they were playing it safe.

Under Disney, Star Wars is taking no risks and pushing no envelopes.  Disney went into the sequel trilogy trying VERY hard to make a Star Wars movie that'd have the broadest appeal possible and do as little as possible to alienate the well-established fanbase that was such a merchandising cash cow for the franchise.  The easy answer to that set of goals is simply to change nothing... or as little as you can get away with, on the reasoning that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

2 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I don't know where the line for derivative works actually falls but I know it is a far far way from 3PO's red arm.  I'm guessing none of the examples listed counts since they are clear derivatives of older designs.  

None of them would.

40 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I don't know where the line for derivative works actually falls but I know it is a far far way from 3PO's red arm.  I'm guessing none of the examples listed counts since they are clear derivatives of older designs.  

I think "derivative" is the operative word here.  The "new" X-Wing and A-Wing designs were near copy-pastes of OT concept art.  If CGI had existed back then, I'm fairly sure we would have seen those designs on the screen verbatim, but the physical models changed so they could incorporate existing kitbashed parts, rather than make everything from scratch.  This wasn't the case in the prequels, so the concept art was essentially exactly what we saw on the screen.

35 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's not that they were being lazy... they were playing it safe.

Under Disney, Star Wars is taking no risks and pushing no envelopes.  Disney went into the sequel trilogy trying VERY hard to make a Star Wars movie that'd have the broadest appeal possible and do as little as possible to alienate the well-established fanbase that was such a merchandising cash cow for the franchise.  The easy answer to that set of goals is simply to change nothing... or as little as you can get away with, on the reasoning that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

True enough, though I think in this case, on the audience end, the two might be indistinguishable.  Playing it safe and being lazy both go hand-in-hand with saving money, time, and effort, so as lousy as I think the results were personally, I can't say it wasn't a practical decision.

I think the funny part is that, to me, the process backfired.  By playing it safe and changing nothing, they broke with the established trend in all the other movies of seeing new and different developments in each one.  Certain things stayed the same, yes, but designs progressed over time, and every movie carried over elements from the previous ones in new designs.

Now we just have rehashes of the existing designs, that, in some ways, actually look less developed, because they were based on concept art that was technically older than the OT designs.  I feel like the new A-Wing in particular looked significantly less developed than the version in ROTJ, partly because it shares so many design cues with the animated version seen in Rebels.  If you lined up all the A-Wing variants over the whole saga in a sort of "design lineage" infographic, what order looks like it makes sense?

I'm not going to touch the original designs in the sequel trilogy, because I feel like those were almost universally terrible.  I think as a whole, the designs in the new movies were just a perfect storm of playing it safe, and lack of talent for innovative design. 

This may be too bold an assumption, but I feel like if they -had- the necessary talent to truly design something remarkable and iconic for this new generation, they would have done so without hesitation.  Instead, the few truly original designs we did see speak volumes as to why I think they just couldn't do it.

Edited by Chronocidal