10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Depending on how artificial gravity is achieved, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for it to extend beyond the inner hull of the ships creating it... to facilitate repair and maintenance work, for instance. 

True, but I think @Chronocidal was referring more to use of Gravity Bombs in TLJ.  There is no good excuse for that beyond saying that that were sitting still directly over the planet and not in a free-fall orbit.  That argument is full of holes though as their orientation did not reflect that.  I hate that scene with such a passion, especially after Rogue One showed us a brilliant usage of Y-Wings on Torpedo runs.

While I 100% agree that the bomb scene in TLJ made no sense, as did the later lack of bombing ability the First Order had when it came to the fleeing resistance, but there's always a million ways in scifi to explain something away so it's not worth being so hung up on. Someone industrious enough can always come up for an excuse for the way things are. Yes, it's wayyyyyy better when stuff doesn't so obviously rub everyone the wrong way OR when the story proactively explains the upcoming stupidity, but in the end, Star Wars has always been about "just accept this is how things work here" and not "Let's bring on some NASA folk to make sure we have any clue what we're talking about."

1 minute ago, Knight26 said:

True, but I think @Chronocidal was referring more to use of Gravity Bombs in TLJ. 

Yeah, I know... if the dreadnought's artificial gravity field extended beyond its hull by accident or design, that could explain why gravity bombs would be workable.  

(That said, a quick spot of research turned up an official assertion that the bomber's deployment mechanism is essentially a low-powered coilgun not a passive gravity drop system and that the bombs themselves were also using electromagnetism to accelerate towards their target.  The latter part of this explanation has its own, worse, problems regarding exponential magnetic field decay with distance... but the former part would be enough to make it halfway defensible I suppose.)

Just now, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, I know... if the dreadnought's artificial gravity field extended beyond its hull by accident or design, that could explain why gravity bombs would be workable.  

(That said, a quick spot of research turned up an official assertion that the bomber's deployment mechanism is essentially a low-powered coilgun not a passive gravity drop system and that the bombs themselves were also using electromagnetism to accelerate towards their target.  The latter part of this explanation has its own, worse, problems regarding exponential magnetic field decay with distance... but the former part would be enough to make it halfway defensible I suppose.)

Okay, but then you need to explain why you wouldn't just fire the bombs from a cannon? If inertia is the problem, why wouldn't you just connect the bombs to a launch mechanism so they can slowly get up to speed from a great distance away and then be plowed into their target? The whole macguffin was a biiiiiiiiiiiiig and unnecessary stretch. At least in ANH they explain that the strike requires great precision so a human needs to be involved.

Just now, jenius said:

Okay, but then you need to explain why you wouldn't just fire the bombs from a cannon?

Given that the launch mechanism is essentially a coilgun... they kind of did.

Just now, jenius said:

If inertia is the problem, why wouldn't you just connect the bombs to a launch mechanism so they can slowly get up to speed from a great distance away and then be plowed into their target? The whole macguffin was a biiiiiiiiiiiiig and unnecessary stretch. At least in ANH they explain that the strike requires great precision so a human needs to be involved.

Really, the whole thing was a stupid idea intended to cash in on Star Wars's not-terribly-subtle "space warfare is World War II but IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE" aesthetic.

The magnetic guidance thing is, however, a terribly stupid idea since that would just cause the bombs to clump up into a big ball and probably set themselves off rather than falling in nice orderly lines.  Kind of emblematic of the new trilogy's persistent problem with talking too much in some places and not nearly enough in others.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Given that the launch mechanism is essentially a coilgun... they kind of did.

Really, the whole thing was a stupid idea intended to cash in on Star Wars's not-terribly-subtle "space warfare is World War II but IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE" aesthetic.

The magnetic guidance thing is, however, a terribly stupid idea since that would just cause the bombs to clump up into a big ball and probably set themselves off rather than falling in nice orderly lines.  Kind of emblematic of the new trilogy's persistent problem with talking too much in some places and not nearly enough in others.

That scene nearly sent me walking out of the theatre it was so egregiously stupid.  Give us proper B-Wings, or Y-Wing follow-ons launching mega-torpedos instead.  You still get the scenes inside with the crews fighting to get through the enemy, and maybe one crewer having to manually kick the torpedo off it's launcher, or something stupid.  But it wouldn't be B-17s in space.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, they did essentially have an explosion powerful enough to vaporize most of a moon-sized space station made of armor-grade materials... so it wasn't exactly an M80.

That said, the Death Star wreckage is on a different moon orbiting a different planet?  Not another moon orbiting the same planet?  It'd be easy if it was another moon orbiting the same planet... but another planet entirely?

Note, this is entirely my own assumption, since according to the article, they gave this moon another name entirely.  Star Wars has always played fast and loose with the difference between a moon and a planet, to the point where I could believe they might mean it to be another moon of Endor, but we won't know until more official details come out.

Depending on how artificial gravity is achieved, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for it to extend beyond the inner hull of the ships creating it... to facilitate repair and maintenance work, for instance. 

(Macross does this deliberately for the various space flattops to recover fighters... throwing a 0.5G gravity field up over the deck.  WH40K has a similar situation, albeit by convenient accident, where the exteriors of large ships not only have appreciable but low gravity but also a very thin atmosphere being held in place by the artificial gravity generators and the ship's shields.)

Honestly, that's not that far fetched.  Personally, I always assumed that internal gravitational systems were more akin to a short-range tractor beam, and wouldn't have much pull outside of a ship's hull, but it really works either way, and there's probably no reason they couldn't turn up the system to extend the gravity field further.

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

True, but I think @Chronocidal was referring more to use of Gravity Bombs in TLJ.  There is no good excuse for that beyond saying that that were sitting still directly over the planet and not in a free-fall orbit.  That argument is full of holes though as their orientation did not reflect that.  I hate that scene with such a passion, especially after Rogue One showed us a brilliant usage of Y-Wings on Torpedo runs.

No, I'm more pointing to the fact that they were shelling the Resistance cruiser.  At maximum range, beyond what any gravity system could possibly interact with.  There were so many problems with that entire situation, you could write a documentary longer than TLJ explaining why the chase sequence was terrible.  If they had bothered to have cannons firing from the underside that curved upwards, you could have at least made the excuse that they were firing missiles (although, if they were projectiles, why would they lose destructive power at long range?).  We already saw one case of them completely misusing weaponry terminology in TFA, where someone apparently doesn't know the difference between a cannon and missile battery.  Or maybe the First Order has developed homing lasers.. take your pick.

Honestly, I'd be more put out that blowing up something the size of a moon and made of blast-resistant armor material in the forest moon's orbit didn't essentially destroy the moon's entire surface with debris strikes.

Ignoring for a moment that the second Death Star must have been able to turn on a dime for its primary weapon being able to face both away from and toward the moon of Endor within the span of a couple minutes, yeah... if that much recognizable debris from the explosion is on an entirely different moon (possibly planet), I have to imagine the facing surface of the moon would have been blasted into a nice molten puddle. 

Start thinking directionally and geometrically, and we have more problems, because the focusing array was facing the forest moon when it blew.. meaning the explosion behind it, blew it backwards, away from the forest moon, and toward whatever other moon that chunk happened to land on. :blink:  I suppose it's possible it blew it at enough of a vertical angle that it would miss, but either way, if that much of the structure survived, no one on the forest moon could have.

The explosive physics of this situation just get weird though.  At some crossover point, the amount of energy necessary to propel debris clear onto even another moon of Endor could reach a level where the debris itself wouldn't survive.  And on the flip-side of that, if the debris wasn't all vaporized in the explosion, I'd love to know what shielded all of the main characters on the surface watching the fallout.

The obvious deus-ex-machina solution here is that Luke basically shielded the moon with the Force, but I'm not sure even the Gary Stuwalker from the EU could have pulled off that trick.

Edited by Chronocidal

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So apparently the second Death Star's wreckage landed on another entirely different "moon."  

The explosion was so powerful, the wreckage blew clean out of the Endor moon's orbit, out of the orbit of its parent planet, out into space, and crashed into a different moon of another planet.  :blink: 

Someone needs to slap the entire writing team upside the head with a physics textbook.  First there was gravity in space, now this...  And here I was perfectly okay with the forest moon having an ocean.. heaven forbid any planetary body in Star Wars have more than one biome. :rolleyes: 

It does make me wonder though.. how much explosive power would it take to blow up a large object in Earth's orbit, and have the debris land, say, on Phobos?

Do we know for sure it's DS2?  Definitely not DS1 and the planet is Yavin, and not Endor?  I haven't been reading up on the theories, so a little out of the loop.

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

That scene nearly sent me walking out of the theatre it was so egregiously stupid.  Give us proper B-Wings, or Y-Wing follow-ons launching mega-torpedos instead.  You still get the scenes inside with the crews fighting to get through the enemy, and maybe one crewer having to manually kick the torpedo off it's launcher, or something stupid.  But it wouldn't be B-17s in space.

I think I was kinder to it in theaters... but then, I wasn't entirely sober when I watched it in theaters. 

(Honestly, theaters with liquor licenses are a godsend considering how awful much of what makes it to theaters is.)

5 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Note, this is entirely my own assumption, since according to the article, they gave this moon another name entirely.

Duly noted.  My assumption was that this was another moon also orbiting the same gas giant as the Endor... gas giants do tend to have an awful lot of those.  (Jupiter has 79 of the damn things, for instance.)

Star Wars has always played fast and loose with the difference between a moon and a planet, to the point where I could believe they might mean it to be another moon of Endor, but we won't know until more official details come out.

To be entirely fair to Star Wars, this problem exists in the real world too.  

For instance, Jupiter and Saturn both have moons (Ganymede and Titan respectively) which are larger than Mercury and Jupiter's moon Callisto is only slightly smaller.  There are 7 moons in the solar system bigger than Pluto, which is variously considered a planet or dwarf planet, including Ganymede, Titan, Callisto, Io, Luna, Europa, and Triton.  The only real distinction there between moons and planets is whether they orbit the star directly or orbit an object orbiting the star.

An arrangement like Endor or Yavin IV could conceivably exist in the real world and would be considered a moon rather than a planet because they orbit a gas giant planet not the system's star(s).

Honestly, that's not that far fetched.  Personally, I always assumed that internal gravitational systems were more akin to a short-range tractor beam, and wouldn't have much pull outside of a ship's hull, but it really works either way, and there's probably no reason they couldn't turn up the system to extend the gravity field further.

This wouldn't be outside the bounds of what I can find on the subject from Star Wars sources... apparently tractor beams in this setting are, in fact, gravitational in nature.  What I'd assumed artificial gravity worked like was an artificial gravity well, presumably created by manipulating gravitons.  It wouldn't have a sharply defined edge, unless there was some amazingly precise technology in play.

No, I'm more pointing to the fact that they were shelling the Resistance cruiser.  At maximum range, beyond what any gravity system could possibly interact with.  There were so many problems with that entire situation, you could write a documentary longer than TLJ explaining why the chase sequence was terrible.  If they had bothered to have cannons firing from the underside that curved upwards, you could have at least made the excuse that they were firing missiles.

Are we certain they're firing energy bolts and not solid shells?  Some propelled types of shells could conceivably produce that kind of curved trajectory... though the million dollar question then becomes why solid-ammo cannons?

We already saw one case of them completely misusing weaponry terminology in TFA, where someone apparently doesn't know the difference between a cannon and missile battery.  Or the First Order has developed homing lasers.. take your pick.

It wouldn't be the weirdest thing we've seen done with laser technology in Star Wars... the Jedi and Sith heroes wield laser swords made by somehow causing a laser beam to pull a hairpin 180, which is all kinds of impossible normally.

Ignoring for a moment that the second Death Star must have been able to turn on a dime for its primary weapon being able to face both away from and toward the moon of Endor within the span of a couple minutes, yeah... if that much recognizable debris from the explosion is on an entirely different moon (possibly planet), I have to imagine the facing surface of the moon would have been blasted into a nice molten puddle. 

Start thinking directionally and geometrically, and we have more problems, because the focusing array was facing the forest moon when it blew.. meaning the explosion behind it, blew it backwards, away from the forest moon. :blink: 

Or put it in an orbit where it had plenty of time to spin... gravity is a harsh mistress, but also frequently a surprisingly patient one.

The explosive physics of this situation just get weird though.  At some crossover point, the amount of energy necessary to propel debris clear onto even another moon of Endor coule reach a level where the debris itself wouldn't survive.  And on the flip-side of that, if the debris wasn't all vaporized in the explosion, I'd love to know what shielded all of the main characters on the surface watching the fallout.

Perhaps plot armor... or are we still calling that The Force?

13 minutes ago, peter said:

Do we know for sure it's DS2?  Definitely not DS1 and the planet is Yavin, and not Endor?  I haven't been reading up on the theories, so a little out of the loop.

A bunch of different news sites are reporting that it's the Death Star II, but the only reference I've found is to a Disney blogs post that doesn't actually specify anything except that the moon's name is Kef Bir.

I think everyone's assuming it's the Death Star II because Palpatine's involved.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Piece of the Death Star landing on another planetary body is possible. In another star system so soon...:blink::wacko:. Talk about the odds of a planet in the flight path and landing so soon... What about the condition of that wreckage? The exposed parts should have more crispy bits considering it came from space.

19 hours ago, Thom said:

Well, I still got the zings from watching the trailer. It looks adventurous, dramatic and exciting which, honestly, the trailers have always managed to do. I'm looking forward to seeing it in theater a couple times at least. Yes, TLJ dropped the ball in a bad way, and by TLJ I mean Johnson, Kennedy and Abrams as well, but TFA was exciting and fun and I'm trusting Abrams to deliver that at least. I'm also hoping they've learned from the bad responses and do a few 'course corrections' that keep us out of the dreaded 'mystery box' complex.

If I had my wish, Palpatine's return would have happened during TLJ, to really feel it grow organically. Have it happen in the background, with him subtly pulling Snoke's strings (and giving us an explanation for Snoke in the offing) with his final reveal at the very end. Not what we got though. So, is it going to feel a bit rushed then, throwing him in at the end and trying to get the answers that were never picked up after TFA? Probably. But I'm alright with that as long as I get good answers and an exciting ride, and a meaningful end to wrap it all up.

Starting to wonder if Snoke was a half-assed failed clone of Sidious or something. Talk about "Snoke gets in your eyes"...

Found my Negative Matter as the Core Star Wars Tech Write Up.

There is a scientific explanation for how Star Wars beam weapons work, Negative Matter, NM.  While not ever observed, it is theoretically possible that matter of negative mass exists.  If a civilization could harness that it would explain a great many things in Star Wars, but let's start with converging beams and lightsabers.  While referred to as lasers and laser swords, what if, in fact the Kyber Crystals used by the Death Star Super Laser, DSSL, and Light Sabers, LS, are in fact a means by which to harness and control and NM?  The glow we then see is a magnetic plasma (cold plasma) used to contain and isolate the NM.  In a converging beam weapon like the DSSL, the individual beams act like giant LS's and keep the NM in place until enough has built up to reach critical mass for the target (A ship, a city, a planet), at which time an impulse laser forces the NM down the magnetic containment beam into the target.

Tarkin's single reactor shots would indicate that the DSSL reactors might run, or contain, NM so that allows the DSSL to have a variable yield.

Similarly, a NM core LS would explain how they react.  LS have been seen to bounce off normal matter unless forced into them, and even a saber lock, where two LS's come into contact and remain together, are ended first, by forcing the LS's together.  See, once the the magnetic cold plasma shell is breached, NM will repel normal matter, so when swung with enough force they would create a cutting edge (assuming say the beam is only a few atoms thick) and the cold plasma would cauterize the wound.  Similarly, if two LS come into contact, the NM cores would attract to one another.  But, due to the nature of NM, pulling will not separate them, but pushing would.

This could actually from the core of all Star Wars weapons and tech (repulsor lifts, hyperdrives, etc...)  The crystal fuel source from Solo could be an expendable version of the crystals needed to harness NM, whereas Kyber Crystals are far more stable and last longer.

40 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Starting to wonder if Snoke was a half-assed failed clone of Sidious or something. Talk about "Snoke gets in your eyes"...

Personally, I think there's something to the theory Snoke was one of the kids Vader massacred in the Jedi Temple who kept himself alive through tapping into the dark side and didn't heal from his wounds as prettily as Kylo Ren did.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Are we certain they're firing energy bolts and not solid shells?  Some propelled types of shells could conceivably produce that kind of curved trajectory... though the million dollar question then becomes why solid-ammo cannons?

The potency of a solid explosive projectile shouldn't fade with range in a vacuum.  Not that energy weapons really should either, but maybe homing lasers lose potency as they curve? :p 

Or put it in an orbit where it had plenty of time to spin... gravity is a harsh mistress, but also frequently a surprisingly patient one.

Edit: I might be misreading what you mean, but I'm not thinking so much of things spinning as much as I'm thinking of orientation.

It's more about how vague the orientation of the Death Star was in relation to Endor's moon.  When they first approached, it was facing outwards, toward the fleet, but by the time the fleet was running away back toward the moon to escape the explosion, it was facing toward them, meaning the focal array was aimed for the moon when it blew.

Considering that the chunk in the trailer appears to be from the lower half of the array, with bits of the equatorial trench attached, that had to be some kind of lopsided explosion to not blow that entire chunk of the station directly toward the forest moon.

Also, I thought there was no question that it was meant to represent the second Death Star, since they're seen visiting the wreckage of Palpatine's throne room.  On the other hand, there's really no reason he couldn't have had one on both, but if this is meant to be wreckage of the first one, it becomes even less likely that there would be any wreckage found anywhere, because I seriously doubt any debris would have escaped the pull of the gas giant.

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

A bunch of different news sites are reporting that it's the Death Star II, but the only reference I've found is to a Disney blogs post that doesn't actually specify anything except that the moon's name is Kef Bir.

I think everyone's assuming it's the Death Star II because Palpatine's involved.

It’s the Death Star II.  The trailer shows Rey and Kylo standing in the remains of Palpatine’s throne room where the final Luke/Vader showdown happened.  

7 minutes ago, glane21 said:

It’s the Death Star II.  The trailer shows Rey and Kylo standing in the remains of Palpatine’s throne room where the final Luke/Vader showdown happened.  

To refer back to what someone else said, it's pretty amazing the room is recognizable after surviving the initial explosion, as well as atmospheric re-entry on another planetary body. :lol:  Though, in this case I'd say it was probably excusable, since I cannot imagine Palps would have accepted anything short of a self-sustaining escape yacht for that throne room design.

That's another thing though.. Palpy's upstairs penthouse was at the north pole of the DSII, by all accounts.  Pieces from both the equator and north pole of the structure landing on the same planetary body that's not Endor's moon?  Did the whole thing split like an egg, with the upper half going one direction, and the lower going another?

Edited by Chronocidal

For me, the physics of how pieces of the DSII survived atmospheric entry are unimportant. :D Much less which way it was facing or how powerful on a nuclear-scale the explosion was or where exactly Palpatine's throne room was in relation to the dish's circumference, or... It's science fiction. If we want we could say that the construction materials used in the DSII were so strong that the magnitude of it wouldn't even be measurable by today's standard. It could be that, to us, it would be considered completely indestructible, and thus the fact that it was destroyed would be a confounding mystery to us hairless monkeys who have barely even scratched the moon's surface in our own dinky little star system, that in itself would be considered a backwater's backwater to a place such as Jakku.

It's fantasy only based on science, and pretty loose science at that, that is more akin to magic than anything concrete. It really just kind of sucks the wonder out of it.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Tell yeah, I would have loved even that little bit of an explanation for Snoke! They really screwed up the story arc by playing Blindman's Bluff with TLJ's plot.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

The bombers were stupid - I'll give you that.  But in a universe where fighters in space fly like they are in atmosphere - well they are not quite so stupid.  

So.. frankly?  There's no reason this can't happen, at least with the caveat that we're going with super-efficient thrusters, and other physics-defying tech.  It's really not that hard, you just need thrusters doing all the work that the atmosphere normally would.

It's impractical, because that would require an utterly massive amount of fuel.  But if you're already using fantasy engines to do it...

20 hours ago, Mazinger said:

the “Punky Brewster” sequel

Why? Is this truly what the world has been crying out for? I thought we were through rehashing the 80s and were on to rehashing the 90s by now.

16 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

See though.. that's a long freaking way.  You'd have to blow it over halfway to Mars before its gravity would overpower Earth's pull.

Not really. It doesn't have to get very far from Earth before the Sun's gravity takes it away from us. It still has to get pretty far before Mars can get hold of it, though. And it needs a good kick to give it the energy it needs to rise out to the martian orbit.

But you're forgetting to factor in the Death Star's hypermatter core. The explosion CLEARLY sent large portions of the debris cloud into hyperspace along the axis of the visible discharge ring, so they blahblah et cetera.

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Honestly, I'd be more put out that blowing up something the size of a moon and made of blast-resistant armor material in the forest moon's orbit didn't essentially destroy the moon's entire surface with debris strikes.

Ah, yes, the good ol' Endor Holocaust.  http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

The official Lucasfilm explanation has always been "That didn't happen", with little explanation as to WHY that didn't happen. I think they need to man up and work out a feasible explanation, or canonize the massive ecological disaster. Can't make an omelette without destroying a few inhabitable worlds.

This always reminds me of that scene in one of the X-Wing novels where our heroes stumble upon an Imperial Museum exhibit explaining how the rebels basically extinctified a sentient race with their terrorist activities and they get very upset because "that's not what happened".

11 hours ago, glane21 said:

Surely the emperor would have a throne room on the first Death Star too, not just on Death Star Two.

I think it is actually Skeletor's throne from the He-Man movie, though. How's THAT for a plot twist?

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So.. frankly?  There's no reason this can't happen, at least with the caveat that we're going with super-efficient thrusters, and other physics-defying tech.  It's really not that hard, you just need thrusters doing all the work that the atmosphere normally would.

They way it shown happening on screen?  NO it can not happen no matter how much thrust is coming out those engines.  In space if you want to change direction you point you keester in the direction you want to go and then fire off the engines.  Anything else is pure fantasy with no ifs ands or buts.

14 hours ago, Bolt said:

Lol! Wouldn't that be a visual!

It'd make for the happiest ending... the First Order and the incompetent idiots in the Resistance wipe each other out along with all the Jedi and dark side users, leaving the galaxy to finally experience peace without a bunch of space monks trying to rule the universe with magic.

14 hours ago, Bolt said:

what are the chances we're gonna get left hanging at the end ?

Approximately 100%.  Even though Rise of Skywalker is the end of the so-called Skywalker Saga they're absolutely going to leave a sequel hook or twelve.

14 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Please kill off Rose.

Speculation has it, based on the way Rose is allegedly being systematically deleted from promotional art, that J.J. Abrams and co. are largely writing her out of the story because of how wildly unpopular she is.  The blue check marks on Twitter will rage and storm about it but I doubt anyone else will particularly care if she's demoted to a background character and/or killed off unceremoniously the way they offed Ackbar and others in The Last Jedi.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

Why? Is this truly what the world has been crying out for? I thought we were through rehashing the 80s and were on to rehashing the 90s by now.

I find your faith in the Hollywood creative process disturbing.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

Ah, yes, the good ol' Endor Holocaust.  http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

The official Lucasfilm explanation has always been "That didn't happen", with little explanation as to WHY that didn't happen. I think they need to man up and work out a feasible explanation, or canonize the massive ecological disaster. Can't make an omelette without destroying a few inhabitable worlds.

Well, I'm officially baffled then... how do you blow up a construct almost the size of Saturn's moon of Phoebe orbiting at an altitude of only a few hundred kilometers over the moon's surface without utterly devastating the surface of the moon?  Especially if the explosion was from a highly energetic reactor system capable of producing enough power to reduce an entire planet to rubble.  On its own, that should've been an extinction event-level disaster... never mind the subsequent debris strikes from armor-grade hull materials making reentry at extremely high velocities as a result of the detonation.

As far as the "Endor Holocaust" goes one of the Stackpole X-wing comics back in the day has a flashback to immediately after the battle of endor and depics a massive fire fighting effort with starfighters modified into firebombers dropping retardant foam on the DS wreckage.

This was back when Dark Horse and Bantam books were working close with Lucasarts on continuity. Before the prequels, before the novel rights went to Del Rey with them going "kill em all" Vong invasion, and before the whole damn thing got sold to Disney so take that for what you will.

16 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

As far as the "Endor Holocaust" goes one of the Stackpole X-wing comics back in the day has a flashback to immediately after the battle of endor and depics a massive fire fighting effort with starfighters modified into firebombers dropping retardant foam on the DS wreckage.

This was back when Dark Horse and Bantam books were working close with Lucasarts on continuity. Before the prequels, before the novel rights went to Del Rey with them going "kill em all" Vong invasion, and before the whole damn thing got sold to Disney so take that for what you will.

Putting out fires is one thing but the impact from the debris would be the real problem.

16 minutes ago, jenius said:

As far as I can tell, the Star Wars universe has no friction, no aerodynamics, sound in space, FTL travel, no atmospheres, and gravity everywhere.... soooooo, what are we getting hung up on now?

Can we just blame everything on the Jedi, like a Star Wars-specific version of A Wizard Did It?