53 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If that shot of the sky literally filled with old-school Star Destroyers is any indication, there's going to be some next-level BS going on to allow the Resistance's meager handful of soldiers to win.

Well you know that there will be more than a Millennium Falcon's hold full of Resistance/Rebel/Whatever fighters around.

I mean c'mon Lando wasn't in TLJ, pretty sure they managed to scrounge up more than 1 old gambler for the fight. :lol:

*edit to add the D23 YouTube clip to the next page

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Ok not bad, not bad at all. Interesting end scene....hope it’s not a misdirect.

The shot of the Rebel ships shows a couple of T-70 X-Wings, several Y and A wings, and a few B-Wings too.

As for the old School Star Destroyers....I’m thinking the way they are lined up that maybe it is a Mothballed Fleet that the Rebels are going to try and acquire....similar to what Zahn did in the Thrawn trilogy only with Dreadnaughts.

I’m stupid For Star Wars, and even after the utter mess that the Last Jedi is, I can’t help but hope. This one is already looking better than ANY of TLJ trailers where. They all gave me a bad feeling, and my gut turned out to be right.

Chris

Is it bad that the only takeaway I got was that, “Ooh, folded, double-bladed saber.  Potential to make a Pong Krell custom has just. . . risen.”

Only another half-billion issues to make that custom figure, but at least the saber issue would be easier to solve.

My biggest takeaways from the trailer:

The end shot, from the lighting and mood was a force vision.  That is who Rey was supposed to be, or could become.
The fleet of Star Destroyers were mostly ISD-1s, which is interesting, I agree with @Dobber they resistance is going to make a play to steal those.
The attack group of fighters made me happy, especially the B-Wings, but can we see some new fighters and maybe the T-75/80s?  I HATE the T-70 design with an unreasonable passion, lol.

The rest left me pretty flat, Rey still carrying the Anakin Saber, I mean it was destroyed, why not build an all new one?

The Leia shots were interesting, the village leaves a lot of room for speculation, perhaps they are recruits to man the ISD-1s.

This movie will have to cover a lot to make up for the mess that was Ep8.  And, I must say, will probably be the first SW movie that I will wait on the reviews before buying tickets, even the kids aren't all the jazzed to see it.  ANd that is saying something.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If that shot of the sky literally filled with old-school Star Destroyers is any indication, there's going to be some next-level BS going on to allow the Resistance's meager handful of soldiers to win.

So, this will be your first Star Wars film huh?

Just now, jenius said:

They clearly look to be mothballed, no lights on, and that formation is way too tight and linear to be operational ships.  I think it is a Katana Fleet type setup, but in reverse.  Though how F'n cool would it be if Grand Admiral Mother Freaking Thrawn shows up in this and it is his plan to steal those ships for the resistance, because he doesn't like the First Order, and we get the Chiss Ascendency coming in on the Resistance/Republic side.  Ok,  need to calm down, a fan can dream.

2 minutes ago, jenius said:

The Rebellion was up against long odds in the original trilogy, but they had an actual war fleet in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi... enough to at least briefly hold their own against the Imperial Navy.  From this teaser, it looks like they're set to attack a fleet every bit as big as the one from Return of the Jedi with a single beat-up light freighter, a diplomatic courier ship of a type that made its debut losing an entirely one-sided fight with a single old model Star Destroyer, a double handful of fighters, and a single infantry platoon.  That's a TALL order even by Star Wars's standards... especially when the godmode chosen one isn't a fighter pilot this time.

The older Star Wars movies weren't quite so blatant with the idea that "good will always triumph because evil is dumb".  :lol:

1 minute ago, Old_Nash said:

Palpatine Uses Dark Force inpregnant a woman and Rey is born XD

Isn't that basically how we got Anakin in the first place?

1 minute ago, Old_Nash said:

It's was The Force itself, not  a Force User.

Hmm, current fan conjecture on teh interwebs is that the force ghost of Darth Plagueis may have caused the conception.

The comics themselves are now pointing increasingly to Palpatine:
https://www.slashfilm.com/darth-vaders-father-revealed/

I think I like the Plagueis fan theory better.

haha I guess being a Disney show, using the force that way (ie sexual assault) would be a no no..

I wouldn’t mind if rey was somehow related to either palpatine or maul and then in this episode she turns to the dark side whilst kylo turns to the light.

darth rey...like the sound of that! might be more interesting than what’s been happening in the sequels so far...

Edited by seti88

35 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Rebellion was up against long odds in the original trilogy, but they had an actual war fleet in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi... enough to at least briefly hold their own against the Imperial Navy.  From this teaser, it looks like they're set to attack a fleet every bit as big as the one from Return of the Jedi with a single beat-up light freighter, a diplomatic courier ship of a type that made its debut losing an entirely one-sided fight with a single old model Star Destroyer, a double handful of fighters, and a single infantry platoon.  That's a TALL order even by Star Wars's standards... especially when the godmode chosen one isn't a fighter pilot this time.

The older Star Wars movies weren't quite so blatant with the idea that "good will always triumph because evil is dumb".  :lol:

Isn't that basically how we got Anakin in the first place?

Can I just thank you for saying "...godmode chosen one isn't a fighter pilot this time".

One of the main complaints leveled against Rey as a protagonist, and make no mistake that's what she is and will end up as at the end of Rise of Skywalker, is that she's a Mary Sue. As if Luke and Anakin weren't the exact same thing. 

But you know you just called it because "good will always triumph because evil is dumb".

-b.

22 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Really?  Then let me rub some salt in the wound. ;) 

lZD97iS.jpg

OMG, that is hilarious.  If only they had the balls to crap on Lucas in this way, and piss off the fan base... hmmm, hey Rian, got an idea.

Ok, onto the D23 thing, is that Rey at the end?  It wasn't so obvious to me, it looked like her.  Now, to go overboard just a little, Rey's mom... Jar Jar.  Don't tell me it's impossible, this is Star Wars.  Slap in some genetic engineering, anything is possible.  Even YY chromosomes.

Edited by kalvasflam

I've always said it would be a good thing to have Rey go dark and Kylo go light at the end of this trilogy. Maybe that will happen. Maybe dead/not dead Palps lures Rey  to the darkside, and Kylo kills her in the end redeeming himself like Vader did. BUUUUT...that's prob just a dream or Force vision clip. No way they are gonna actually make the girl bad. 

Edited by derex3592

Not to feed the haters here... but Disney making Rey a villain seems..... a little far fetched. Remember, they're all about girl power and having the white male protagonist save the universe by killing a girl just doesn't seem to fit with the message they're trying to send.

44 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

OMG, that is hilarious.  If only they had the balls to crap on Lucas in this way, and piss off the fan base... hmmm, hey Rian, got an idea.

Ok, onto the D23 thing, is that Rey at the end?  It wasn't so obvious to me, it looked like her.  Now, to go overboard just a little, Rey's mom... Jar Jar.  Don't tell me it's impossible, this is Star Wars.  Slap in some genetic engineering, anything is possible.  Even YY chromosomes.

Yes, hilarious... now make a EVIL expression on Jar Jar… THAT would be hilarious wrong.

As for the video, filling the first 1min with old school nostalgia is just a plot to make you interested. Its still a trap...

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

The rest left me pretty flat, Rey still carrying the Anakin Saber, I mean it was destroyed, why not build an all new one?

Kinda says something about the series, 'don't it? Every time they've lost or broke their lightsabers, they've always built a new one them. Every damn time. Rey is the only one who hasn't built her OWN lightsaber by this time.

4 minutes ago, jenius said:

Not to feed the haters here... but Disney making Rey a villain seems..... a little far fetched. Remember, they're all about girl power and having the white male protagonist save the universe by killing a girl just doesn't seem to fit with the message they're trying to send.

ohh I fully agree with you 100% on that.  I'm a Star Wars fan at heart, I still hold out hope this will be epic, Yeh, I'll go see it in the theater, what the heck. I don't go to many movies anyway, so it'll be fun ... I hope.

1 hour ago, Old_Nash said:

It's was The Force itself, not  a Force User.

Really?  I could've sworn I'd read something on TVTropes Palpatine being involved.

47 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Can I just thank you for saying "...godmode chosen one isn't a fighter pilot this time".

One of the main complaints leveled against Rey as a protagonist, and make no mistake that's what she is and will end up as at the end of Rise of Skywalker, is that she's a Mary Sue. As if Luke and Anakin weren't the exact same thing. 

Well, it's kind of hard for a character to NOT end up as one when their role in the story is to be The Chosen One, Ultimate Hero of Ultimate Destiny, Anointed Savior by the Magical Energy Field that Controls Fate Itself.  That isn't just an unusually literal case of Designated Hero, it's about as close to an omniscient morality license as it gets.

47 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

But you know you just called it because "good will always triumph because evil is dumb".

Let's be honest, if the Empire and First Order weren't holding an idiot ball the size of the second Death Star 24/7 this would've been a VERY different series... and recent films keep drawing lines under this fact like they've got stock in Bic.

1 minute ago, TehPW said:

Yes, hilarious... now make a EVIL expression on Jar Jar… THAT would be hilarious wrong.

As for the video, filling the first 1min with old school nostalgia is just a plot to make you interested. Its still a trap...

You kidding?  Look at the evil intent seething in those dead, empty eyestalks... the malice in that horrible grin...

Just now, azrael said:

Kinda says something about the series, 'don't it? Every time they've lost or broke their lightsabers, they've always built a new one them. Every damn time. Rey is the only one who hasn't built her OWN lightsaber by this time.

The Jedi library's copy of Laser Swords, Sabers, and Staffs: A DIY Guide got wet in the rain.

1 hour ago, Kanedas Bike said:

-b.

The Luke is a Gary Stu argument is tired.  Throughout the movies, we seen lines of dialogue or actions leading to abilities that we see later, as well as training that he undergoes.  Part of the Gary Stu argument comes from the uncertain amount of time he spent on Dagobah.  Kirshner stated it was at least months, but Lucas edited it in such a way to make it seem shorter and Lucas shot down ideas regarding the crew of the Falcon looking like they'd spent months in transit.

Anakin, again, it is implied via dialogue that he has been using his force skills innately to become a successful pod racer, and later, fighter pilot.  After which he undergoes years of training to become a Jedi.

The Mary Sue argument regarding Rey is because of how suddenly she comes upon her force powers, how she knows how to fly the Falcon without ever having flight training etc...  ANd that is all JJA's fault because he assumes you will pick up the supplementary material (comics, books, toys, etc...) that explain that backstory instead of giving you those hints in dialogue or with other onscreen evidence.  There is plenty that could have been done to kill the Mary Sue argument in the film, see my earlier post regarding that.

All that also leaves out one of the biggest factors of being a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, likability.  A true Mary/Gary is liked by everyone and never has to overcome any hurdles or obstacles.  Luke and Anakin do not fit that requirement, they are constantly faced with people who distrust, don't like, or push them aside.  They also both have to overcome obstacles on their journey and get nothing handed to them.  The same cannot be said for Rey, she is instantly liked, trusted, or wanted by everyone she comes across with the exception of the scrap merchant.  

8 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

The same cannot be said for Rey, she is instantly liked, trusted, or wanted by everyone she comes across with the exception of the scrap merchant.  

And her parents* :cray:

And “I just want to drink my fresh green milk in peace” Luke.

. . .

Just messing around;  I agree with your points.  They never really did much to make the new main three compelling or endearing.

* If Kylo Ben’s explanation is to be believed.

Edited by Mog

Although the thought of Rey turning dark is kind of cool, now that Disney's shown it in the trailer, I don't think it will happen.  I'm not sure Disney would throw in such a huge spoiler into the trailer.  Something that dumb hasn't really happened since the trailers for T2 came out. 

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

The Luke is a Gary Stu argument is tired.  Throughout the movies, we seen lines of dialogue or actions leading to abilities that we see later, as well as training that he undergoes.  Part of the Gary Stu argument comes from the uncertain amount of time he spent on Dagobah.  Kirshner stated it was at least months, but Lucas edited it in such a way to make it seem shorter and Lucas shot down ideas regarding the crew of the Falcon looking like they'd spent months in transit.

Anakin, again, it is implied via dialogue that he has been using his force skills innately to become a successful pod racer, and later, fighter pilot.  After which he undergoes years of training to become a Jedi.

The Mary Sue argument regarding Rey is because of how suddenly she comes upon her force powers, how she knows how to fly the Falcon without ever having flight training etc...  ANd that is all JJA's fault because he assumes you will pick up the supplementary material (comics, books, toys, etc...) that explain that backstory instead of giving you those hints in dialogue or with other onscreen evidence.  There is plenty that could have been done to kill the Mary Sue argument in the film, see my earlier post regarding that.

All that also leaves out one of the biggest factors of being a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, likability.  A true Mary/Gary is liked by everyone and never has to overcome any hurdles or obstacles.  Luke and Anakin do not fit that requirement, they are constantly faced with people who distrust, don't like, or push them aside.  They also both have to overcome obstacles on their journey and get nothing handed to them.  The same cannot be said for Rey, she is instantly liked, trusted, or wanted by everyone she comes across with the exception of the scrap merchant.  

Honestly, before this exact moment I've never even heard of "Gary Stu". Ever.

My point is that in my opinion among "true" Star Wars fans Rey receives an incredibly undue amount of animosity (to put it mildly) based on how good/powerful/liked/whatever she is. And that her abilities whether they be force-wielding, flying the Falcon, whatever are hardly unique in Star Wars lore, yet somehow the character gets nailed right to the wall.

I mean common, little 9 year old Anakin won a pod race, blew up a bunch of fighters and a Trade Federation capital ship. :lol:

And I say this as someone who didn't care then, don't care now, I also never really cared or gave much thought into Luke's time training with Yoda. It just wasn't important to my enjoyment. But when people cry bloody murder about Rey it makes me think back and wonder where all these folks where when the other Skywalkers (yes, I know what I just said) where doing all the incredible sh!t that they did.

58 minutes ago, Mog said:

And her parents* :cray:

And “I just want to drink my fresh green milk in peace” Luke.

. . .

Just messing around;  I agree with your points.  They never really did much to make the new main three compelling or endearing.

* If Kylo Ben’s explanation is to be believed.

I dunno, obviously I like Rey as a character. I feel like the real missed opportunities are with Finn and Poe, either of which if they died I probably wouldn't care all that much. Mostly because Finn is written as useless and Poe as an ace fighter hasn't spent any appreciable time in an X-Wing since The Force Awakens.

4 minutes ago, peter said:

Although the thought of Rey turning dark is kind of cool, now that Disney's shown it in the trailer, I don't think it will happen.  I'm not sure Disney would throw in such a huge spoiler into the trailer.  Something that dumb hasn't really happened since the trailers for T2 came out. 

Never gonna happen. I mean even at the end of the trailer you have her theme music playing ("The Scavenger"). In my opinion the only true "will it, or won't it" is if Kylo turns to the Light Side of the Force.

-b.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Yeah, it would so distort the "narrative."  I would be shocked if there was a turn to make Rey the bad girl.  It would be a good turn IMO, it would also be the first major female villain Star Wars movie villian.  (No, Phasma doesn't count)

2 hours ago, TehPW said:

What Seto said in regards to Jar Jar.  And very much agreed, if it was a trap.  There are a few interesting scenes so far... but how do they square this whole Palpatine thing.  I almost feel like these guys are all reaching here.

I think the movie ends with Kylo redemption... but dead.  

@Kanedas Bike  I honestly don't have a major issue with the character of Rey either.  I have issue with how the filmmakers have used her.  As I said, a handful or lines here and there could have thrown the Mary Sue argument right out.  Unfortunately, as is Darth Abrams' way, he relied on the secondary media to build up her story and present that she had so many of these skills before. 

I also agree with you about Finn and Poe.  Finn is supposed to be this guy we feel for, he was kidnapped and raised to be a storm trooper yet is obviously not cut out for it.  He has the skills, but not the blood lust.  Poe is an awesome character in Ep7, but is played for a fool in Ep8 and is wasted, as is Finn.  The two had such a great dynamic in Ep7 and I think most people wanted to see that continue.

At this point, I've had enough of Poe to want to see him get mashed in the ANH trash compactor.  Repeatedly.  He is the Marty Stu here, so much more so than Rey that they felt the need to repeatedly call out how good he was at every turn. :rolleyes:  Then he managed to dodge a planet-sized karma-bomb in TLJ when he didn't wind up dying along with all the other people his actions screwed over.

The teaser looks interesting at least, but can I just point out that, for all the money Disney seems to have dumped into this mess, they still apparently can't be arsed to hire concept artists to develop any new ship that isn't a hackjob of some old MacQuarrie art or otherwise OT design?  Seriously people.. for all the "merchandising" focus this franchise has, they're failing miserably at coming up with anything even remotely original or compelling.  It's like they're throwing everything they have at the nostalgia angle, and hoping it masks the lack of any original substance.

If we start going down the clones and Katana Fleet path though.. I'm just throwing in the towel and calling the Zahn trilogy canon.  

On the other hand.. (wait for it..)   Part of me is wondering if they're literally doing the Luuke story, but Rey is the clone.  :lol:  Seriously, at this point it's like a giant mashup of the EU.  I can't believe the evil Rey is actually there though, the picture's fuzzy/blurry and warped enough to look like Rey took another trip into the hall of mirrors, or it's another Dagobah cave incident.  It does make a bit of sense for Rey to use a double bladed saber though, considering she originally started off with a staff.