7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I wonder is this is coming to Disney+ early just like Frozen 2?

I looked for it today on Disney+ but didn't see it... Odd, since they own it and it is for sale on other sites. Not that I'm paying twice for it. I'll pay to own the actual disc but not the immaterial stream.

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm talking about the fact that the wayfinder Kylo found belonged to Vader.  He retrieved it from "Mustafar", ostensibly from Vader's digs there.  When Luke went looking for it, you'd think good old ghost dad could have been "Oh, yeah, that thing!  It's just in a box."

Again, this is a background detail left out of the movie, or added after the fact.  In trying to explain the origins of Kylo's wayfinder, they make the story as a whole make less sense, because they don't take ten seconds to actually think through the implications of what they write.

That could only be guessed at! :D It's what happens though when follow-ons add material and plot devices that did not already exist or, as you say, they did not take the time to logically work them in.

14 hours ago, Thom said:

I looked for it today on Disney+ but didn't see it... Odd, since they own it and it is for sale on other sites.

That's why it's not on Disney+ yet.  They want to make as much money as they can off digital library sales through Amazon Prime, Google Play, etc. before they put it up for "free" on their own streaming service.

That Honest Trailers was hilarious!

I had fun with the movie, even after multiple viewings.

That said, I totally get some of the criticism, some of which I share (lack of a cohesive story throughout the Trilogy and the reliance of so much supplementary material) , but I refuse to let that color my experience in a negative way.

Star Wars flicks have always just been a fun, space opera, popcorn movies, The Rise of Skywalker included. 

-b.

It was the best JJ could come up with after having to follow up on a movie that shat on Luke Skywalker's OT legacy and Star Wars in general.

Let's just hope The Mandalorian Season 1 wasn't just a fluke...

I'm waiting for TROS to show up on D+....and will buy the BD used or maybe wait for Black Friday 2020.

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

It was the best JJ could come up with after having to follow up on a movie that shat on Luke Skywalker's OT legacy and Star Wars in general.

Let's just hope The Mandalorian Season 1 wasn't just a fluke...

I'm waiting for TROS to show up on D+....and will buy the BD used or maybe wait for Black Friday 2020.

Agreed

While I didn't/don't hate Episode VIII, as time wears on I find that when I do think back on it I like it less and less.

The Mandalorian was just a breath of fresh air, mostly because of how good it was but because it wasn't divisive among fans.

-b.

19 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

While I didn't/don't hate Episode VIII, as time wears on I find that when I do think back on it I like it less and less.

I honestly can't even convince myself to watch TLJ again.  It's almost 1/3 of a watchable movie, and it pains me that that 1/3 is entirely based in all of the scenes that destroy Luke as a character, because even if he's playing Jake, he's still a helluva lot more watchable than the rest of the firey sh!tstorm swirling around him.

26 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I honestly can't even convince myself to watch TLJ again.  It's almost 1/3 of a watchable movie, and it pains me that that 1/3 is entirely based in all of the scenes that destroy Luke as a character, because even if he's playing Jake, he's still a helluva lot more watchable than the rest of the firey sh!tstorm swirling around him.

Probably won't watch it again for a good while, if at all. I try to appreciate how Rian wanted to push boundaries and introduce new concepts, I think this wasn't the right Star Wars story/vehicle with which to do so.

-b.

Flat out Rise of Skywalker should have been 3 movies, so much was crammed into it. And it's so easy to pinpoint what went wrong with the new Trilogy, lack of a cohesive road-map.

I have no shame in admitting that I liked The Force Awakens and Rise along, but Disney's execs need to get their sh!t together for the next set of movies.

-b.

The Rise of Skywalker was even worse than The Last Jedi. TLJ tried to do new things. It failed, but at least it tried. And the movie did have a few good points, my favorite being that Rey's parents were nobodies and that anyone can rise up to be the next great hero.

TROS just rehashed the same crap from previous movies, but did it much worse. It was creatively bankrupt in addition to being incredibly bad.

Multiple reviewers have pointed out how it copies a bunch of things from Avengers: Endgame, but in a much sh***ier fashion. So it should be called Star Wars: Sh**game. :p

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

And the movie did have a few good points, my favorite being that Rey's parents were nobodies and that anyone can rise up to be the next great hero.

That was the thing that I was most disappointed about in The Rise of Skywalker... they had an amazing opportunity to run with the idea that you don't HAVE to be the Chosen Hero of Ultimate Destiny to save the world, just someone pissed off enough to want to make things better, but they subverted it horribly by having Rey turn out to be space satan's granddaughter.

On 3/25/2020 at 4:54 PM, Kanedas Bike said:

That Honest Trailers was hilarious!

I had fun with the movie, even after multiple viewings.

That said, I totally get some of the criticism, some of which I share (lack of a cohesive story throughout the Trilogy and the reliance of so much supplementary material) , but I refuse to let that color my experience in a negative way.

Star Wars flicks have always just been a fun, space opera, popcorn movies, The Rise of Skywalker included. 

-b.

Same here. I can watch it and see what's wrong but still enjoy it. There's enough there that compensates.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That was the thing that I was most disappointed about in The Rise of Skywalker... they had an amazing opportunity to run with the idea that you don't HAVE to be the Chosen Hero of Ultimate Destiny to save the world, just someone pissed off enough to want to make things better, but they subverted it horribly by having Rey turn out to be space satan's granddaughter.

Thing is, that's a Star Wars trope. From the first moment we learned of Luke's father, and then it being reinforced by TPM 's midichlorine nonsense all the way through to TRoJ. It's always been about family lineage and legacy. Personally, I like that, and that they turned it around a bit by making her a Palpatine.

If only Episode 8 had been about this story arc and not Rian's sudden tangent...

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Thing is, that's a Star Wars trope. From the first moment we learned of Luke's father, and then it being reinforced by TPM 's midichlorine nonsense all the way through to TRoJ. It's always been about family lineage and legacy. Personally, I like that, and that they turned it around a bit by making her a Palpatine.

Eh... yeah, I know it's a Star Wars standard trope.  IMO, it's a really bad trope that is detrimental to the rest of the Star Wars story.  It robs the heroes of any sense of agency and sends a rather nasty message in general.  You can only make a difference in the world if you're born into the right family, and anyone who isn't and tries anyway is just wasting their time.  They have no control over their destiny, and they apparently can't refuse the call either.  They have no control over their fate or the choices they make, the Force is dragging them bodily from place to place like a parent dragging a reluctant child who doesn't want to play piano to their first piano recital.  

Maybe that's the real story here.  Star Wars, and especially the Expanded Universe, has always been very heavily anti-democratic and pro-authoritarian.  The Dark Side users are people who want to be in control of their own destiny, while the Light Side users always seem to be content to be blown along at the whims of fate.  Be a good little drone and mind your place or you'll become EVIL in the minds of the people who don't think for themselves seems to be the moral they're going for here.

2 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Let's face it: If you aren't born in the right family, you're doin' s##t in the Star Wars universe. Lately,  you don't even get the girl.

Let's be honest here, the Finn x Poe bromance was the best (and only) love story in this trilogy.

11 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Wait.  Some here actually BELIEVED that Rey's parents were nobodies?

Wait. Some here actually BELIEVED that Anakin was a virgin birth? And that Shmi wasn't just a loose woman who slept around?

Star Wars fanboys forget that prior to Anakin, the Skywalker family was also a bunch of nobodies. Less than nobody, actually; they were property.

So the slave kid at the end of TLJ using the Force was a nice nod to Anakin's own origin, and a theme in that movie that was actually good.

TROS is a nice nod to the "DERP PEW PEW" stereotype of Star Wars fanboys. :p

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Dark Side users are people who want to be in control of their own destiny, while the Light Side users always seem to be content to be blown along at the whims of fate.  Be a good little drone and mind your place or you'll become EVIL in the minds of the people who don't think for themselves seems to be the moral they're going for here.

Unfortunately, the only idea the Dark Side users seem to get from their new freedom is to erect a military dictatorship, so it's a lose-lose choice.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Wait. Some here actually BELIEVED that Anakin was a virgin birth? And that Shmi wasn't just a loose woman who slept around?

Star Wars fanboys forget that prior to Anakin, the Skywalker family was also a bunch of nobodies. Less than nobody, actually; they were property.

Yes - everyone believes that wunderkind had no father (his mother made no claim of being a virgin, not exactly the same thing).  The Skywalkers were slaves, kinda sloppy of whoever brought about wunderkind to lose track of him like that.  

2 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Unfortunately, the only idea the Dark Side users seem to get from their new freedom is to erect a military dictatorship, so it's a lose-lose choice.

Being the only one in control of your own destiny probably leads to contempt for all the people who are letting the Force blindly steer them through life...

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Yes - everyone believes that wunderkind had no father (his mother made no claim of being a virgin, not exactly the same thing).  The Skywalkers were slaves, kinda sloppy of whoever brought about wunderkind to lose track of him like that.  

Totally agree.

If memory serves, the line she says was, "there was no father".  I've always understood that as there was no father figure in his life.  The way that the line is delivered is also vague: it could be due to shame from unmentionable things, or that she had a husband, but he died/left/was taken away before or shortly after Anakin's birth.

Edited by sketchley

18 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Totally agree.

If memory serves, the line she says was, "there was no father".  I've always understood that as there was no father figure in his life.  The way that the line is delivered is also vague: it could be due to shame from unmentionable things, or that she had a husband, but he died/left/was taken away before or shortly after Anakin's birth.

Qui-Gon totally runs with the idea that he was a virgin birth, though... asserting he believes that Anakin was conceived by the whatchamacallits that make the Force go, and IIRC wasn't that what the Expanded Universe ran with as well?

19 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Qui-Gon totally runs with the idea that he was a virgin birth, though... asserting he believes that Anakin was conceived by the whatchamacallits that make the Force go, and IIRC wasn't that what the Expanded Universe ran with as well?

I've already touched on Star Wars fanboys and their selective memory.

11 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I've already touched on Star Wars fanboys and their selective memory.

When? I don't remember...:lol:

This fanboy talk however begs a question, because I thought it was that group that hated the Sequel Trilogy. Am I one because I like it? Or, am I not a "toxic fan" because I don't constantly berate or belittle?

So confused by the labels these days...

-b.

1 minute ago, Kanedas Bike said:

When? I don't remember...:lol:

This fanboy talk however begs a question, because I thought it was that group that hated the Sequel Trilogy. Am I one because I like it? Or, am I not a "toxic fan" because I don't constantly berate or belittle?

So confused by the labels these days...

-b.

I know ,right?;)

21 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I know ,right?;)

B)) All jokes aside, it's totally cool to have differing opinions.

A lot of what's posted in the ST threads I don't agree with (more the negative tone than the actual subject matter), specifically about why they suck or whatever, but at times I do enjoy reading the more thought out discussions about why. 

I HATED the PT, but the recent posts re: Anakin I find extremely interesting. Why? Because at the end of the day Star Wars and to larger extent "Anime or Science Fiction" is a subject matter we all care about to some extent or another and it's cool to see the dialog from other fans.

-b.

21 hours ago, Lolicon said:

TLJ tried to do new things. It failed, but at least it tried. And the movie did have a few good points, my favorite being that Rey's parents were nobodies and that anyone can rise up to be the next great hero.

7 hours ago, Lolicon said:

So the slave kid at the end of TLJ using the Force was a nice nod to Anakin's own origin, and a theme in that movie that was actually good.

So your favorite "good point" from TLJ is something that was already done in TPM?...so much for TLJ trying to do "new" things....:rolleyes:

TLJ can probably be shrugged off as Finn's bad dream.....throw it out, or most of it, and you can still get the full sequel story with TFA and TROS..

We'll probably get a Sequel Trilogy fan-edit someday and I am pretty sure most of TLJ will be cut out of it

'

I rail on the stuff I can't abide by (Luke becoming a failure and a wuss after everything he went thru some emo scares him..)and i praise the stuff i love (duel of fates and Jaina Solo!) there's a lot in between..^_^

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

I rail on the stuff I can't abide by (Luke becoming a failure and a wuss after everything he went thru some emo scares him..)and i praise the stuff i love (duel of fates and Jaina Solo!) there's a lot in between..^_^

That's fair.

*admittedly I know next to NOTHING of the old Expanded Universe. I own and read Dark Horse's Dark Empire (6 issue limited series) when they came out years ago, but that's literally it

-b.