7 hours ago, Mog said:

Also Rebels already had the perfect endcap for Obi's time in the desert, and there's really no way to do this any better:

This is the ONLY Disney Wars thing which I'm willing to admit is part of Star Wars.  This little bit from Rebels is so completely opposite everything which has been done under the Disney Wars regime.  It has dramatic weight.  It's tense.  It wordlessly and visually portrays many layers of the story.  It's the ONLY Disney Wars bit which uses the visual language and motifs of Star Wars to tell a story.

Just how Obi Wan starts in his Clone Wars battle stance, shifts to his Padawan stance, and then finally stands ready in the stance of the Master Maul took from him has more depth and storytelling in it than both of the Disney Wars movies so far.

Yes, it's fanservice.  But it's damn good fanservice.  The person who wrote it put care into it.  They respected the audience and the mythos.  

https://heroichollywood.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-freedom/

Star Wars is so screwed.

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson is ready to hop back into the iconic galaxy far, far away with his own trilogy separate from the Skywalker Saga, and it looks like he has full creative control."  :angry:

They should just promote Dave Filoni to lead story guy (ala Kevin Fiege).

He doesn’t have to write all the stories, but is there to double-check that it all fits together into one cohesive universe.  Dave would get final say.

Not saying the guy doesn’t have his clunkers (some Clone Wars and Rebels eps were chores to watch).  But he’s generally made more solid hits than misses over the years.  And when he hits it out of the park, it’s freakin’ good.

No question the guy knows and loves his Star Wars lore and how to create a beautiful story (or more) in that sandbox.

43 minutes ago, Mog said:

They should just promote Dave Filoni to lead story guy (ala Kevin Fiege).

I agree... it should be someone who has worked on the franchise for a while, not someone who wants to make a name for himself.  I'm not sure if offered, the Russo brothers would take it.  Who knows, perhaps Johnson will make it something epic and really do a fantastic expansion on the SW universe.  A full movie with zero reference to the Force would be interesting. 

Dangit, that Obi Wan bit made me tear up.  I'll have to see about getting ahold of Rebels some time.  Damn fine Alec Guinness impression too, was really chilling.

Star Wars definitely needs something to keep it coherent.  Right now, the movies seem to be jumping all around the quality scale like some of the worst of the EU.  Could RJ keep it together if given full control?  Maybe, but on the flip side of that, would you want an entire trilogy in the vein of TLJ?

1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

I'm not sure if offered, the Russo brothers would take it.

I'd love to see what would happen if they offered the job to J. Michael Straczynski.  Considering that the WB won't let him play in the B5 sandbox I bet he'd jump at the chance to play with SW.

I’ll admit to hating Rebels at first (“They cancelled Clone Wars for this crap?!”).

But the show grew, became a worthy successor/follow up to Clone Wars, and made its mark in so many different ways.

It’s been over a year since it ended, but there’s still scenes and eps I’ll cue up to watch again and get hit in the feels or get giddy over.

Such a rich and worthy addition to the Star Wars tapestry.

1 hour ago, wwwmwww said:

I'd love to see what would happen if they offered the job to J. Michael Straczynski.  Considering that the WB won't let him play in the B5 sandbox I bet he'd jump at the chance to play with SW.

Yeah, it's a utter tragedy what limits they slapped onto JMS around B5.  You can tell from the first few seasons, his story telling was great, even though there were some filler episodes.  But then the restraints they put on him, and with what Scifi did, it was just tragic, how the suits mangled a fantastically fun universe.

24 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Yeah, it's a utter tragedy what limits they slapped onto JMS around B5.  You can tell from the first few seasons, his story telling was great, even though there were some filler episodes.  But then the restraints they put on him, and with what Scifi did, it was just tragic, how the suits mangled a fantastically fun universe.

You know what the best thing about those filler episodes of B5 were? The little things going on in the background or passing references that had huge ramifications in the final seasons.

There really were very few "filler" episodes in B5.  The ones that appeared to be filler were always setting up something for later.  The problem is you had to get to later to appreciate them.  The acting was very wooden (sadly we now know why and Michael O'Hare probably deserves an Oscar in retrospect) and the pacing was off in that first season as well and "The Gathering" was a case where all the exciting stuff happened off screen.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

To be fair, the first scene of Rise of Skywalker IS Kylo being woken up by Snoke and realizing The Last Jedi was all a bad fever dream.

"Get up, Kylo. It's the first day of Vader School and you're gonna be late!" and off he goes, bumping into a toast-in-her-mouth Rey along the way?

Given how schizophrenic the trilogy has been, I wouldn't be at all surprised...

13 hours ago, kajnrig said:

"Get up, Kylo. It's the first day of Vader School and you're gonna be late!" and off he goes, bumping into a toast-in-her-mouth Rey along the way?

Given how schizophrenic the trilogy has been, I wouldn't be at all surprised...

My only question: Will Kylo lag behind as Rey runs up the steps, unconcerned about her vanity or Kylo's panty fetish? :D

Just now, Seto Kaiba said:

Really?  Then let me rub some salt in the wound. ;) 

lZD97iS.jpg

Welp, that's not mere dumpage. That's a 5-mile wide rock made of salt hitting Texas (at 17,004 kph)...

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

My only question: Will Kylo lag behind as Rey runs up the steps, unconcerned about her vanity or Kylo's panty fetish? :D

Somehow, this sounds vastly more interesting than the actual plot of The Rise of Skywalker.

It's like that brief aside in Evangelion where Shinji isn't a total wuss.

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Really?  Then let me rub some salt in the wound. ;) 

lZD97iS.jpg

That isn't "rubbing salt in the wound", my friend; that is loading up a shotgun full of rock-salt, holding it against the person and pulling the trigger repeatedly!  :D

That was a nice little montage, interesting that they choose to stick with only clips from the main movies and not include anything Rogue One or Solo. It does make sense within the context of the "Skywalker" OT, PT and Sequel Trilogies.

-b.

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

That isn't "rubbing salt in the wound", my friend; that is loading up a shotgun full of rock-salt, holding it against the person and pulling the trigger repeatedly!  :D

Flattery will get you nowhere. :p 

31 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Huh.  So that was a thing.

I'm not sure what the takeaway from that was supposed to be, but it's certainly a thing that exists.

If that shot of the sky literally filled with old-school Star Destroyers is any indication, there's going to be some next-level BS going on to allow the Resistance's meager handful of soldiers to win.