i MAY skip this at the theaters too.  I love SW but I don't care about any of these characters right now.  Thanks Ruin Johnson for making Luke Skywalker a pathetic coward and playing fake dodge-saber....aaaaaaaaaaand he's dead.  That's exactly what the fans have been clamoring for. :clapping:

The trailers will have to be REALLY interesting to get me to go.

* and yes everyone at lucasfilm including book writers should ssssshhhhhhh.  

Edited by Negotiator

I can accept Luke becoming a salty curmudgeon in his old age.

I can almost get behind Luke being reluctant to train another Jedi.

And I can almost understand Luke having a temporary moment of weakness and seriously consider killing his nephew.

BUT I don't, won't, and can't support a Luke who doesn't run off to save his friends and family at the first sign of trouble.  It doesn't jive with the Luke we saw in A New Hope, in Empire Strikes Back, nor in Return of the Jedi.  That guy never hesitated to save others.  And no matter how dire the situation, he can always fall back to "I once saved my father, who was the most evil bastard in all of the galaxy.  This ain't squat!"

On 9/25/2018 at 10:05 PM, Duymon said:

I think I walked away from Star Wars after a white person told me I'm racist for not liking Rose Tico.

I'm Vietnamese. Let that sink in....

That is exactly the problem with the world now, if you don’t agree with their views you’re a racist or sexist.  I get the same Spiel from people and I’m also Asian!

Rose was an horrendously written character and nothing about her makes sense.  She goes from being part of the support crew to spec ops level operative to combat pilot...She’s not the only crap part about the movie, but a big reason why I hate TLJ.  If you cut her and Finn (they also ruined his character) out of the movie entirely, nothing is lost from the story.

I’m keeping an open mind about Ep. 9 and hope they can save this trilogy.  

37 minutes ago, Smacky said:

That is exactly the problem with the world now, if you don’t agree with their views you’re a racist or sexist.  I get the same Spiel from people and I’m also Asian!

Rose was an horrendously written character and nothing about her makes sense.  She goes from being part of the support crew to spec ops level operative to combat pilot...She’s not the only crap part about the movie, but a big reason why I hate TLJ.  If you cut her and Finn (they also ruined his character) out of the movie entirely, nothing is lost from the story.

There is one possible outcome we could look forward to, in the future: Since the original trilogy was updated with CGI in the 90's (to fund the Prequals, as I recall), one could hope the future PTB do the same?

21 hours ago, Mog said:

I can accept Luke becoming a salty curmudgeon in his old age.

I can almost get behind Luke being reluctant to train another Jedi.

And I can almost understand Luke having a temporary moment of weakness and seriously consider killing his nephew.

BUT I don't, won't, and can't support a Luke who doesn't run off to save his friends and family at the first sign of trouble.  It doesn't jive with the Luke we saw in A New Hope, in Empire Strikes Back, nor in Return of the Jedi.  That guy never hesitated to save others.  And no matter how dire the situation, he can always fall back to "I once saved my father, who was the most evil bastard in all of the galaxy.  This ain't squat!"

didn't he b*tch about that during interviews (at least until someone from Disney told him to STFU about it) about how he disagreed with the writers?

It's no secret Mark Hamil wasn't down with the new direction they were going. 

22 minutes ago, TehPW said:

didn't he b*tch about that during interviews (at least until someone from Disney told him to STFU about it) about how he disagreed with the writers?

Yep

Edited by Bolt

AfterAfter watching positive and negative reviews I've come to a conclusion.  The last movie was a "good" movie.  The director had a vision and while not every element was perfect he accomplished his goals.  Many people appreciated this new approach.  On the other hand it wasn't a good Star Wars movie.  These aren't science fiction movies that are meant to mirror out current times.   Star Wars is a heroic fantasy series inspired by historic myths.   It has more in common with a Disney fairytale than science fiction.  Like a bed time story you can't tell your child a reimagined fairytale.  A child knows what to expect from such stories.  If you change the rules it is no longer a Star Wars movie.  Critics can praise it for surpassing our expectations and effective storytelling but it is no longer  heroic fantasy.

4 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

AfterAfter watching positive and negative reviews I've come to a conclusion.  The last movie was a "good" movie.  The director had a vision and while not every element was perfect he accomplished his goals.  Many people appreciated this new approach.  On the other hand it wasn't a good Star Wars movie.  These aren't science fiction movies that are meant to mirror out current times.   Star Wars is a heroic fantasy series inspired by historic myths.   It has more in common with a Disney fairytale than science fiction.  Like a bed time story you can't tell your child a reimagined fairytale.  A child knows what to expect from such stories.  If you change the rules it is no longer a Star Wars movie.  Critics can praise it for surpassing our expectations and effective storytelling but it is no longer  heroic fantasy.

That is exactly my conclusion, it was a decent sci-fi movie but a horrible Star Wars movie.  

Can't agree with that. For three quarters of it's running time, I felt like watching Galactica 1980.

To me, Rogue One provided the best Star Wars experience after the OT and I'd love to see Gareth Edwards do another take on the franchise. Yes, there were re-shoots and re-writes (at least, Disney's QC was still working back then), but even Lucas' cut of A New Hope was a train wreck, it wasn't until his wife massively re-edited the material that we got the movie that would appeal to a wide audience instead of a handful of SF fans. I mention that because I think that all the myth (or politics) you pack into the story or all the revolutionary FX mean nothing if you fail to build a suspenseful and entertaining movie from the material.

6 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

It has more in common with a Disney fairytale than science fiction.  Like a bed time story you can't tell your child a reimagined fairytale.

Yes you can, and people have been doing it for millennia. Heck, Disney are notorious for reimagining "classic" fairy tales.

6 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

If you change the rules it is no longer a Star Wars movie.  Critics can praise it for surpassing our expectations and effective storytelling but it is no longer  heroic fantasy.

That's a more reasonable sentiment.

23 hours ago, Smacky said:

To be fair, the Resistance had lost so many people at that point they were throwing everyone at the bad guys!

On 9/26/2018 at 8:01 PM, Smacky said:

Yeah, good luck with that.  For episode IX, they simply need to find a way to kill off all of those with the Skywalker genes, and possibly even Rey, and get back to people shooting each other with blasters.... oh yeah.  And star destroyers.  May be Star destroyers armed with FAST PACKs... sorry, I'm thinking Yamato 2202 as I write this.

On 9/26/2018 at 9:06 PM, Bolt said:

It's no secret Mark Hamil wasn't down with the new direction they were going. 

And because of that, Rian Johnson killed the character... Sweet revenge.

Edited by kalvasflam

28 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Amen, they could've cut out the Vader scene at the end, and it would've still been a good movie.

As much as fans wanted a badass Vader moment that scene should have been cut as it doesn't flow well with episode IV. He goes from leading a boarding action busting in like gangbusters flinging fools and doing the dark souls hack and slash to being the last one through the breach looking around like "Meh..."

36 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

As much as fans wanted a badass Vader moment that scene should have been cut as it doesn't flow well with episode IV. He goes from leading a boarding action busting in like gangbusters flinging fools and doing the dark souls hack and slash to being the last one through the breach looking around like "Meh..."

There never should have been a large-scale battle to begin with, nor should Leia's escape have led directly into A New Hope. ANH always read as the Tantive IV being caught unawares by the Star Destroyer while on its secret Rebel mission. R1 recontextualizing that felt to me like one of its... well, it's a minor thing in the end, just a rotten cherry on top of the many-bad-decisions sundae.

EDIT:

Oh, also I don't know if there's a dedicated thread for this or maybe it better fits in the general TV thread, anime thread?, etc., but here's something new about the latest SW animated show, Star Wars Resistance.

Edited by kajnrig

As a prequel series with direct ties to The Force Awakens, Resistance could help flesh out and legitimatize the sequel trilogy just as the Clone Wars series helped flesh out and legitimatize the prequel trilogy...

...if it's anywhere near as good, of course.  :unsure:

Cautiously optimistic about this one.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Oh, also I don't know if there's a dedicated thread for this or maybe it better fits in the general TV thread, anime thread?, etc., but here's something new about the latest SW animated show, Star Wars Resistance.

*snip*

Big West should hire the CGI company who did this and do Macross: The Vanquish Race series. 

:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

EDIT:

Not to toot my own horn, but there is a dedicated thread:

44 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

What causes this? Has anyone been able to figure it out? technoblue, your link showed up as that.

[[Template forums/front/global/embedTopic is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Link works fine for me -- both from the desktop and from my smartphone -- and has since it was posted.

Looks like the problem's on your end, kajnrig.

4 minutes ago, tekering said:

Link works fine for me -- both from the desktop and from my smartphone -- and has since it was posted.

Looks like the problem's on your end, kajnrig.

Oh yep, shoulda actually read the error message. The MWFDefaultWhiteBlue_Current theme doesn't work well with links sometimes. Switched to the dark theme and the error corrected itself.

• 4 months later...

So it's an early April fools joke or are we actually going with STAR WARS Balance of the Force as the title? 

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/star-wars-balance-of-the-force-the-title-for-episode-ix-may-have-leaked-early-a166263

9 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

So it's an early April fools joke or are we actually going with STAR WARS Balance of the Force as the title? 

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/star-wars-balance-of-the-force-the-title-for-episode-ix-may-have-leaked-early-a166263

Maybe it's a punny title, and we'll just get a two-hour training montage of Rey balancing rocks with the force set to a Star Wars-themed Weird Al cover of Eye of the Tiger?

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

They should title episode 9 as Star Wars: Sorry About Solo.

After all the poor creative choices in Solo: a Star Wars Story and Star Wars: the Last Jedi, we should just thank our lucky stars Episode IX isn't Star Wars: Rebirth of Jar-Jar Binks or Star Wars Holiday Special II: Gungun Boogaloo.

Since the goal of this trilogy seems to be to give the old cast their last hurrah and pass the torch, I'm wondering if Rey's going to make Sith sashimi out of Kylo Ren so there won't be any further ties to the cursed Skywalker bloodline in Star Wars from then on.

6 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Rey will either off Kylo or he'll do some BS self sacrificing thing to save her from...something really bad. At this point, I don't even care honestly. The Last Jedi destroyed any hope I had for a decent new trilogy. 

Same here. No matter how good the trailer is for episode 9 I may skip seeing it in the theater just like I did with SOLO.

After the last one, I'm not going to bother going to the theater.  I'll wait until it ends up on streaming.

Kylo Ren isn't as badly written as Lucas's young Anakin but he's pretty close.