It is awesome, if he could just do the post-processing to make it mesh visually with the original footage better (color correction, film grain, etc...) that would be epic.

Edited by Knight26

What I appreciate about this one, I commented when the teaser was posted a couple of years ago, was the choreography. They looked like they are try to hit each other, not just clanging the blades together or being all flashy. They look like they are trying to kill each other and blade contact is only due to a parry. I wish more Mainstream films would follow this example. It looks intense. Vader hasn’t  seemed so intimidating in a long time. :clapping:

Chris

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

It is awesome, if he could just do the post-processing to make it mesh visually with the original footage better (color correction, film grain, etc...) that would be epic.

I agree.

Agree with you that the Vader scene in Rogue One was total fan-service, but how was it "out of place"? 

Vader was intent on getting those stolen plans by all means necessary...he wasn't going to ask for them nicely...LOL

Edited by jvmacross

10 hours ago, Mommar said:

It's just as fan-service-y as the out of place scene was in Rogue One.

You say that like it's a bad thing... that scene in Rogue One was the first time Darth Vader had been intimidating in any way, shape, or form since the prequel trilogy ruined him.  For once, he wasn't just Little Orphan Ani whining about how he doesn't like sand. :p 

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Agree with you that the Vader scene in Rogue One was total fan-service, but how was it "out of place"? 

Vader was intent on getting those stolen plans by all means necessary...he wasn't going to ask for them nicely...LOL

Well, for one, it kind of reduces the opening of A New Hope to absurdity... the lie about the ship being on a diplomatic mission goes from "cover story" to "incredibly blatant and obvious lie nobody was going to believe" by establishing that Vader'd been chasing them since the theft of the plans at Scarif and had almost boarded the ship once already.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

You say that like it's a bad thing... that scene in Rogue One was the first time Darth Vader had been intimidating in any way, shape, or form since the prequel trilogy ruined him.  For once, he wasn't just Little Orphan Ani whining about how he doesn't like sand. :p 

Well, for one, it kind of reduces the opening of A New Hope to absurdity... the lie about the ship being on a diplomatic mission goes from "cover story" to "incredibly blatant and obvious lie nobody was going to believe" by establishing that Vader'd been chasing them since the theft of the plans at Scarif and had almost boarded the ship once already.

Yeah, a simple change would make everything work whilst still allowing the “fan service” goodness of the scene to remain.

Have Vader board the ship just as it was shown in the movie but instead of the Rebels desperately trying to get the physical disks onto the Tantive IV, have it be an attempted  delaying action while they are TRANSMITTING the plans to the Tantive IV that is....i don’t know....at the out-skirts of the system. Vader bursts into the comm room just as the final transmission finishes instead of standing in the docking bay. The Devestator tracks the transmissions and the chase is on. Viola’!

Now Leia’s and Capt Antilles’ lie could have a chance/or at least make more sense along with Vader’s line of “several transmissions were beamed aboard this ship. I want to know what happened to the plans you intercepted.” I have no idea why the made the Tantive IV and there for Leia actually be present at the battle. 1) very bad place to be for a Senators daughter 2) They are CLEARLY seen fleeing the battlespace from a captured Rebel ship.

Chris

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

LOL! That scene in R1, despite the fan-service, was the first time we got a real kick-ass, bad-ass Vader and it was worth every, bone-breaking second!

And then yes, the inconsistency they wrote in between R1 and ANH is confusing. You write the scene to cater to the lines that came before, that in this instance actually followed it.

21 minutes ago, Thom said:

LOL! That scene in R1, despite the fan-service, was the first time we got a real kick-ass, bad-ass Vader and it was worth every, bone-breaking second!

It was the first time we really got to see a scene that justified Darth Vader's reputation as The Dreaded.

Costume and technical limitations in filming the original Star Wars trilogy meant that Vader had to have an aggressively minimalist fighting style and couldn't really abuse force powers in showy ways.  Rogue One's Darth Vader has the same minimalist style, but in light of advances in effects technology we get to see why he doesn't need prequel trilogy acrobatic nonsense to tear through whole platoons of enemy troops like a tornado of knives.  The casual brutality of it makes for an incredibly tense visceral action sequence and leaves no doubt as to why this guy showing up makes the rebel troopers wish they'd been issued brown pants.  This quadruple amputee burn ward patient is nowhere near the top of his game, but he's still a one man army.

37 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It was the first time we really got to see a scene that justified Darth Vader's reputation as The Dreaded.

Costume and technical limitations in filming the original Star Wars trilogy meant that Vader had to have an aggressively minimalist fighting style and couldn't really abuse force powers in showy ways.  Rogue One's Darth Vader has the same minimalist style, but in light of advances in effects technology we get to see why he doesn't need prequel trilogy acrobatic nonsense to tear through whole platoons of enemy troops like a tornado of knives.  The casual brutality of it makes for an incredibly tense visceral action sequence and leaves no doubt as to why this guy showing up makes the rebel troopers wish they'd been issued brown pants.  This quadruple amputee burn ward patient is nowhere near the top of his game, but he's still a one man army.

Perfectly stated. 

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

LOL...what would you have the Rebels say and do at that point?  Admit to everything, surrender and hand over the plans because Vader would grant them due process? 

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

LOL...what would you have the Rebels say and do at that point?  Admit to everything, surrender and hand over the plans because Vader would grant them due process? 

They would fight and die. 

Honestly, I figured it wasn't that difficult a thing to handwave.  I know it's falling back on EU pseudo-canon, but I would bet the ship could have had several separate ID transponder codes.  I don't think they followed the ship immediately, and would have had to track it down along known trajectories, so it's possible they were running for quite some time.

Another thing that makes that R1 scene absurd that I've comented on before is how he goes from being the first one through the breach smacking fools to in ANH being the last one through the breach calming surveying all the dead bodies. If this was the ship that blasted away from him just a short time ago you know damn well he would have been the first one through smacking head again. Now he just looks like a lazy chump taking his time boarding ESPECIALLY since the plans managed to make it off the ship.

As for this remade duel it is just as dumb as the flippy dippy prequel stuff. This isn't a wushu martial arts exhibition with fancy splits and ribbons flying through the air, it is a DUEL. TO. THE. DEATH. Minimalism is good. Maintaing a solid guard and countering is smart. Attempting those sommersauts, backflips, and spins will just waste energy and get yourself killed.

3 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Another thing that makes that R1 scene absurd that I've comented on before is how he goes from being the first one through the breach smacking fools to in ANH being the last one through the breach calming surveying all the dead bodies. If this was the ship that blasted away from him just a short time ago you know damn well he would have been the first one through smacking head again. Now he just looks like a lazy chump taking his time boarding ESPECIALLY since the plans managed to make it off the ship.

As for this remade duel it is just as dumb as the flippy dippy prequel stuff. This isn't a wushu martial arts exhibition with fancy splits and ribbons flying through the air, it is a DUEL. TO. THE. DEATH. Minimalism is good. Maintaing a solid guard and countering is smart. Attempting those sommersauts, backflips, and spins will just waste energy and get yourself killed.

Where are they doing somersaults, backflips? And I only noticed a couple of unnecessary spins. For the most part they seem to be trying to actually strike each other. It’s what I liked about this fight the most. 

Also, I look at Vader’s different  boarding actions as he had his “Fun” in R1 and had no need to charge in again in ANH. He is Sith afterall ;) To each there own though, not everything is for everyone. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

8 hours ago, TehPW said:

They would fight and die. 

Exactly.....and I think that is more or less what was insinuated did hapen to those onboard other than Leia...denying they knew anything till the end

You join the Rebellion you put your life on the line for the cause!

21 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Literally anything else.

Trying to convince Darth Vader that the ship he just forcibly boarded is an ambassadorial transport on a diplomatic mission after he'd literally watched the ship narrowly escape from him at Scarif is like a kid caught sneaking cookies mumbling they they didn't take any cookies through a mouthful of cookie.  It's convincing nobody.  That's the part Rogue One screws up in A New Hope.

They were caught, yeah... but trying to feign innocence is like the least effective thing they could do.  Spouting defiance, giving an array of sarcastic answers to interrogation, name-calling, pretending they don't speak English, anything to keep Vader's attention on the crew and not Leia.  The guy's gonna kill you himself or hand you over to be shot by a firing squad, so why not spend your final moments tweaking him for a petty thrill?

Prior to Rogue One there was implicit plausible deniability there.  Vader hadn't personally witnessed that very ship blasting off after personally witnessing the plans being transferred to the ship.  Feigning innocence was a valid strategy there given Alderaan's very well-known neutrality policy.  It doesn't make sense anymore in the wake of Rogue One where Leia's ship practically fled with Darth Vader's fingernail marks going down the side.

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Literally anything else.

Trying to convince Darth Vader that the ship he just forcibly boarded is an ambassadorial transport on a diplomatic mission after he'd literally watched the ship narrowly escape from him at Scarif is like a kid caught sneaking cookies mumbling they they didn't take any cookies through a mouthful of cookie.  It's convincing nobody.  That's the part Rogue One screws up in A New Hope.

They were caught, yeah... but trying to feign innocence is like the least effective thing they could do.  Spouting defiance, giving an array of sarcastic answers to interrogation, name-calling, pretending they don't speak English, anything to keep Vader's attention on the crew and not Leia.  The guy's gonna kill you himself or hand you over to be shot by a firing squad, so why not spend your final moments tweaking him for a petty thrill?

Prior to Rogue One there was implicit plausible deniability there.  Vader hadn't personally witnessed that very ship blasting off after personally witnessing the plans being transferred to the ship.  Feigning innocence was a valid strategy there given Alderaan's very well-known neutrality policy.  It doesn't make sense anymore in the wake of Rogue One where Leia's ship practically fled with Darth Vader's fingernail marks going down the side.

The Rebels did try and mount at least one other delay tactic seen on film and that was with their hopeless defense at the beginning of ANH.  So there's that.  After that, again, not sure what else they could have done, as they were outgunned and outnumbered.  I don't think it matters to either the Empire, Vader, or the Rebels that they all know what is really happening.  The Empire/Vader is 100% sure that they have the right ship with the "stolen plans"....the Rebels know they are caught and doomed.  Given the circumstances and the certainty of the outcome for the crew, I do not see why continuing to "deny, deny, deny" would be any different than any other verbal delay tactics.  Besides, what exactly did you want Capt. Antilles to say as he is being chocked to death by Vader?  Vader was not in the mood for listening to anything other than the location of the DS plans.  The guy took one for the team and stuck to the "we have no idea what you are talking about" plan.  Again, there defense was shut down....their ship's captain was dead....they essentially had no other options other than what Leia ended up doing...and even then, that plan could have easily failed if that gunner would have blown the escape pod to smithereens.

The ANH boarding/capture scene, pre-RO or post-RO, still works just fine because they weren't going to get away with it regardless of what was said or done.  At that point, the rebel mission was simply to get the plans off the ship by all means necessary and that task was handed over to Leia....maybe because the Rebels hoped that her "protected status" as Senator/Princess may have shielded their ship somehow from being boarded/searched by the Empire in the first place?...which obviously proved wrong....perhaps it may have worked if the Empire followed some protocols regarding such things in the past....but that probably got all thrown out the door since Vader happened to be the one that witnessed the whole thing.  Clearly the Rebels had not expected Vader to be involed in this particular operation.  Again, only going by what I can see "on film"...this is how I can rationalize in my mind how things unfolded immediately between RO and ANH.

The rebels saying it was a counselors ship and they had nothing to do with the plans is like Puss in Boots saying the catnip wasn't his.

They could have changed the scene so the data was being transmitted to Leia's ship without the ship being near the battle, and they should have.  

You guys know Star Wars has lots of implausible and sometimes stupid elements right? The transition from Rogue One to ANH is very far down on the tough to swallow scale. It smacks of "When I used to watch ANH, I imagined it being different than Rogue One told me it was, and I don't like that." Yeah, they were caught red handed and said "It wasn't me", Shaggy would be proud. 

6 hours ago, jenius said:

It smacks of "When I used to watch ANH, I imagined it being different than Rogue One told me it was, and I don't like that."

I mean... yeah, that's kind of exactly how it is for me. :lol: I griped about it in the R1 thread, too, but I always pictured stealing the Death Star plans as something of a spy thriller, not a massive three-fronts assault.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

I mean... yeah, that's kind of exactly how it is for me. :lol: I griped about it in the R1 thread, too, but I always pictured stealing the Death Star plans as something of a spy thriller, not a massive three-fronts assault.

Gotta run up those Bothan body counts somehow...

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

I didn't really imagine the size of it that way, but there was a fair bit of sneaking into the facility to start.  It just turned bigger once they needed support, and the Alliance got their collective backsides in gear to accomplish something.

I think my imaginary version of the battle on Scarif was pretty close to what the movie gave us, but only because my original impression of the fight was formed from one of the Han Solo EU prequel books from long ago, where they described a portion of the battle on Toprawa to steal the plans from some kind of communications relay station.  It was a very similar suicide mission, and for all the details the book gave, could have easily been the same battle we saw in R1, with the names changed.

14 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Yeah, I'd never really imagined it as a big armed raid on an Imperial data storage facility.  I'd always imagined it was some kind of Mission Impossible sort of affair where the Empire only noticed the data'd been stolen when it was transmitted to the Rebels the first time, and Vader spent an arbitrarily long time chasing a daisy chain of retransmitted plans to Leia's ship in the hopes of stopping the leak.

12 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Wrong Death Star.

Many Bothans died to bring us this correction. :p 

19 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Time to refresh our memories:

It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy....