7 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

If that is in fact Palpatine laughing at the end, that's a total "I am your father" moment which is something you reserve for the theater, not a trailer. 

IMDB's full cast and crew listing shows Ian McDiarmid is set to reprise his role as Palpatine.

(Sadly, it also indicates that Kelly Tran is set to return as Rose Tico.)

Rise of Skywalker....so much for letting the past die...:drinks:

Disney has to keep that Skywalker namesake/legend alive into the "new generation" of SW fans because it would impossible to keep them half-interested in the franchise if it is just based on Rey, Finn, and Poe...:nea:

Can't wait for that long-forgotten Skywalker clan of warriors to be made famous for being the first "Force weilders" during some flashbacks in the KOTOR trilogy!!! 8)

The Skywalkers will be like the Starks.  And maybe the Palpatines will be another clan competing for the Kyber Throne! :crazy:

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

IMDB's full cast and crew listing shows Ian McDiarmid is set to reprise his role as Palpatine.

(Sadly, it also indicates that Kelly Tran is set to return as Rose Tico.)

I like Kelly Tran as a whole, but her character was just bad in TLJ, perhaps JJ Abrams re-wrote her to be more appealing...? 

I hadn't seen IMDB in a while, didn't realize that Ian was in the cast. Still would be nice to have a surprise or two not shown in a trailer but that's just me. :)

I'm... so utterly confused.  Baffled at the title, and all the implications associated.

Also.. that last shot.  Is that wreckage from one of the Death Stars?  I'd assume that means either Yavin IV or Endor.  I'm going to guess Yavin, just from the bit with the medal (either Han's or Luke's from ANH).

Like.. I don't want to get excited for all the callbacks.  The entire premise sounds bonkers.

Can we at least have our 20th Century Fox intro back this time though?  I admit, I'd pony up for a ticket just to see the full title sequence again. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

48 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

Now, they will kill Lando.

Now to forget, Leia too. Killing two cast with one movie. You know... killing two birds with one stone kind of thing. :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

If that is in fact Palpatine laughing at the end, that's a total "I am your father" moment which is something you reserve for the theater, not a trailer. 

I told you that's no Palpatine. It was Mark Hamill doing an older Joker from BTAS. ;) 

18 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Rise of Skywalker....so much for letting the past die...:drinks:

The past moves more merchandise.

18 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

So the title comes to confirm that Rey is a Skywalker... I wouldn't call it a spoiler since we all kinda knew that. I guess the old emperor is alive and is going to resurrect Luke to defeat the Knights of Ren? 

There are a lot of other potential explanations besides "Rey is a secret Skywalker".

My money's on The Rise of Skywalker being about subverting and deconstructing the whole "chosen one" schtick that was the driving force of the original and prequel trilogies, as this is supposed to be the conclusion of the whole Skywalker storyline.  Rey's going to delve into the history of the cursed Skywalker bloodline before she ends it forever when she chops Ben Skywalker into toppings for an Ewok house salad.  (Or maybe this new Jedi order will turn "Skywalker" into a title...)

16 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

I like Kelly Tran as a whole, but her character was just bad in TLJ, perhaps JJ Abrams re-wrote her to be more appealing...? 

Can you rewrite cancer to be more appealing?  No offense to Ms. Tran, but the character Rose Tico was the story cancer that caused the whole Canto Bight plot tumor in The Last Jedi and dispensed many of its worst moments and lines of dialog.  The character is tainted, even if the writing is competent this time around.  It's like bringing back Jar-Jar.  You could have fantastic writing for him, but because everyone's seen The Phantom Menace nobody will like him no matter how well-written he is the second time around.

16 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

I hadn't seen IMDB in a while, didn't realize that Ian was in the cast. Still would be nice to have a surprise or two not shown in a trailer but that's just me. :)

Well, we don't know if he's alive or a ghost and what his actual relevance is... though Ian has mentioned he isn't there simply as a callback.

1 minute ago, Chronocidal said:

Suppose there's no reason they can't be dredging up the idea of dark side force ghosts.  Maybe Kylo goes on a soul searching trip for a new master, and Palps starts haunting him.

I believe the recent SW comics already did that....and they are part of the canon now....;)

So totally possible...

There has to be some new threat introduced.....otherwise what's the point of what follows Ep 9?

And I am sure something follows Ep. 9....there always has to be light vs dark....otherwise you have Macross without VF's!

33 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Can you rewrite cancer to be more appealing?  No offense to Ms. Tran, but the character Rose Tico was the story cancer that caused the whole Canto Bight plot tumor in The Last Jedi and dispensed many of its worst moments and lines of dialog.  The character is tainted, even if the writing is competent this time around.  It's like bringing back Jar-Jar.  You could have fantastic writing for him, but because everyone's seen The Phantom Menace nobody will like him no matter how well-written he is the second time around.

Point well taken, perhaps she has just a quick scene in the film like Jar-Jar did in ROTS. 

Meh.

More JJ fan-wanking nostalgia crap. What do I mean by that? Ian McDiarmid premiered in Episode 6. Now he's "appearing" in this trilogy's 3rd episode. How convenient...
I thought "Let the past die." So is Palps making a comeback? 4th Quarter conversion (yes, I threw in a Robot Chicken reference)? And Lando is back and flying the Falcon. Also convenient....

Is Kylo repairing his helmet supposed to be the allegory of JJ trying to repair Rian's mess?

Rey rebuilt the lightsaber. *sigh* Still can't build herself her OWN lightsaber.

22 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I kinda wish Luke and Han were still alive.

No one's ever really gone... so maybe we'll be treated to Kylo Ren being nagged and nitpicked to death by Han, Leia, Luke, Luke's apprentices, and all the others with grievances against him.  Maybe that's why he's going to Palpatine, to ask him to make Anakin and Luke STFU so he can have a moment's peace.

7 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No one's ever really gone... so maybe we'll be treated to Kylo Ren being nagged and nitpicked to death by Han, Leia, Luke, Luke's apprentices, and all the others with grievances against him.  Maybe that's why he's going to Palpatine, to ask him to make Anakin and Luke STFU so he can have a moment's peace.

My favorite post-TLJ image is literally Luke going pure Ghost Nappa on Kylo.  I would pay for someone to digitally insert a ghost Luke on Kylo's shoulder giving snarky commentary.

Edited by Chronocidal

15 minutes ago, azrael said:

Rey rebuilt the lightsaber. *sigh* Still can't build herself her OWN lightsaber.

Only genuine bad-ass femmes in the Skywalker line get to rock the purple lightsaber! ;)

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Palps:  “Young Ben-lo, I can give you PEACE and SERENITY across the entire galactic galaxy. . . and together, we can SAVE your . . . sleep.”

Edited by Mog

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Suppose there's no reason they can't be dredging up the idea of dark side force ghosts.  

Other than it totally messing up the explanation of it from the prequals that was used to explain why Kenobi vanished but Darth Vader did not when he died.

46 minutes ago, Mog said:

Only genuine bad-ass femmes in the Skywalker line get to rock the purple lightsaber! ;)

Who said anything about a purple lightsaber. I'm talking about building one's OWN lightsaber. Luke built his own. EVERY FREAKIN' Jedi built their own sabers. Meanwhile Rey is rockin that same hilt for the past 3 movies. Even after she broke it. Could have taking the scraps and built a brand new personal saber....

6 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Other than it totally messing up the explanation of it from the prequals that was used to explain why Kenobi vanished but Darth Vader did not when he died.

10 minutes ago, azrael said:

Who said anything about a purple lightsaber. I'm talking about building one's OWN lightsaber. Luke built his own. EVERY FREAKIN' Jedi built their own sabers. Meanwhile Rey is rockin that same hilt for the past 3 movies. Even after she broke it. Could have taking the scraps and built a brand new personal saber....

Sorry, making a few references to  EU  “Legends“ <_< folks.

But I get your point about making your own lightsaber and completing her training.

Just now, kalvasflam said:

You know they are probably just teasing Palpatine's ghost long enough for him to be bitch slapped down.  It's nice and all, but it'll be a total head fake.  As for Rey needing a lightsaber... what for?

Oh yes, of course. It's JJ's Mary Sue.

46 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Image result for star wars trailer death star

My brain is a little slow today, just dawned on me that is what's left of the Death Star. Holy Sh-t that is awesome! 

TFA

How can we improve the awesomeness of the first 2 Death Stars?  With an even bigger Death Star of course!!

TLJ

That opening scene from ANH with the Star Destroyer chasing down the Rebel ship was epic.....surely extending that concept for an entire movie would blow the fan’s minds!!!

TROS

Remember how cool it was to see a Super Star Destroyer rusting away on Jakku?  Let’s do the same thing but replace it with the Death Star! The fans will eat that sheit up!!!!

8)