9 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

So has there been an actual trailer, or non-fan made poster or anything at all worthy of the constant negativity?

You guys could literally darken the sun with your consistent dark cloud of doom you bring in here. You don't like The Force Awakens after you saw it, fine. You don't like The Last Jedi after you saw it, also fine.

But damn this movie has literally nothing but a few photos on set and yet you bring the same "I hate everything" into this thread. How about you go resurrect the respective threads for TFA and TLJ if you want to bitch about the Directors, Writers, Actors, Scripts and physics of a fictional work of art?

It's exhausting trying to find even a single positive, or constructive comment...

-b.

TFA wasn't bad. They killed off Han in a memorable way... But they could have done much better. What TLJ should have done was kill of Leia, forcing Luke into action. They didn't... it's very, very hard to find goodness in a room full of Chaotic Evil.

10 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

So has there been an actual trailer, or non-fan made poster or anything at all worthy of the constant negativity?

You guys could literally darken the sun with your consistent dark cloud of doom you bring in here. You don't like The Force Awakens after you saw it, fine. You don't like The Last Jedi after you saw it, also fine.

But damn this movie has literally nothing but a few photos on set and yet you bring the same "I hate everything" into this thread. How about you go resurrect the respective threads for TFA and TLJ if you want to bitch about the Directors, Writers, Actors, Scripts and physics of a fictional work of art?

It's exhausting trying to find even a single positive, or constructive comment...

-b.

Ha, you think this is bad? Don’t bother going to the Star Trek Discovery thread where nearly every post is a long diatribe on how horrible the show is, yet strangely they keep watching. Personally I really like the show but won’t bother even try to say anything good in that thread as it’s a lost cause there.

Here at least TLJ deserves it! Lol.  I kid, I kid........well sort of. :crazy:

Chris

Edited by Dobber

10 hours ago, jenius said:

Later this month is Star Wars Fest in Chicago and that will be where real new content begins trickling out. Then I'm sure the Lego catalog will drop as I feel like Lego has been the biggest spoiler for the last two movies.

Very cool, looking forward to see what comes out. I have to imagine that the marketing blitz will start soon - perhaps around the time Avengers: Endgame his theaters. 

10 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

I’ve always been a huge Star Wars fan. It’s sad that I have no expectations for the next movie. 

Maybe I'm just not as passionate about SW as others. I loved it for what it was when I was a kid and I carry that same interest into adulthood. As an example I never was a huge fan of the Return of the Jedi (looking at you Ewoks) but even now I don't have the inclination to poo-poo the movie. 

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

TFA wasn't bad. They killed off Han in a memorable way... But they could have done much better. What TLJ should have done was kill of Leia, forcing Luke into action. They didn't... it's very, very hard to find goodness in a room full of Chaotic Evil.

I really enjoyed TFA, but the one part I absolutely did not like was Han's death. And I get why TLJ is so divisive, but I think Rian took some pretty cool chances expanding on existing mythos. 

And make no mistake, everyone's entitled to their thoughts and opinions, I just hate wading thru the "Dark Side" of these threads. 

3 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Ha, you think this is bad? Don’t bother going to the Star Trek Discovery thread where nearly every post is a long diatribe on how horrible the show is, yet strangely they keep watching. Personally I really like the show but won’t bother even try to say anything good in that thread as it’s a lost cause there.

Here at least TLJ deserves it! Lol.  I kid, I kid........well sort of. :crazy:

Chris

So I actually do peak my head in every now and again, and I agree. I guess this stuff is just symptomatic of two extremely over-passionate fan bases. 

-b.

3 hours ago, TehPW said:

They obviously had something big planned for Leia in the last movie, I'm guessing somehow getting Darth Millenial to turn toward light.  Carrie's death put an end to those plans.  And Luke, well we always knew he was coming back as a force ghost.

14 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

-b.

B, fair point.  We don't know much of anything at this stage and it's all conjecture.  And I am certainly guilty of dragging my feelings about the previous movie into this thread.  Possibly due to the lack of much to go on with the new movie, and also due to having watched TLJ with my kids recently (7 and 10) and answering questions they had about it.  And I think I was having a lousy day the other day when I posted too.  You're never going to get complete objectivity when writing whilst under the influence of negativity.

I do enjoy reading the often witty comments that people share, even when it's clear they haven't got a lot of nice comments to make.  I guess we just have to make sure we don't potentially poison the well for others before they even get a chance to drink.  It's one of many reasons I try to keep my distance from a thread or news when it gets close to a movie's release date.  There's just way too much I can pick up from reading some well written thoughts on a subject.  I'd rather make up my mind myself when I see something for the first time.

The teams that put together trailers have a very hard and extremely important job to do before the release of a movie.  How do you generate interest, remain truthful to the movie, and not bias people too much in the process (one way or the other)?

Here's hoping we get to see something soon for this movie.

22 hours ago, TehPW said:

is it childish? Seto, on the STD thread explained it CLEARLY why the latest Star Wars movies have had issues. It's completely retarded... utterly.

Eh... I'm not sure I would go quite that far.

Yeah, the Star Wars sequel trilogy is stuck with the catch-22 that comes with trying to promote your characters based on minority representation.  They've got instant appeal in some demographics, but at the same time they're limited in how they can develop those characters by the potential backlash they'll face if what they do with a representational character's story offends the demographic they set out to represent.1  Far from being "retarded", I'd call it a surprisingly easy pitfall for writers to fall into given that everything they do has to be strained through the peculiar social tone-deafness that seems to affect most large corporations.  Doubly so in this current age of increasing social awareness, where many corporate executives, politicians, and other social movers and shakers are taking their athlete's foot cream orally in industrial quantities.

Moreover, I would say that this isn't an insurmountable or unavoidable problem for Star Wars.  Rogue One: a Star Wars Story demonstrated beyond doubt that Disney absolutely can do diverse casting correctly (by not making it an end unto itself and boasting about it), and I don't think Rey or Finn are unsalvageable in that regard either.  In fact, for reasons that I will get into below, I find them to be the two Star Wars characters with the most narrative potential... in part because of what Rian Johnson did in The Last Jedi.

All we can hope is someone in the future (and deep pockets) redoing the movie ala 1990's reissue of the movie like it was done for IV, V & VI*... or Jar Jar hits IX out of the park...

*although, as I recall, they did the reissue to fund the prequals as well as proof-of-concept for the CGI they wanted to use. It seems flimsy a idea to reissue a movie because it by itself is flaming poo...

Oh please no, we don't need someone Lucas-ing things up... the odds of a dramatic increase in quality are vastly outweighed by them adding more gimmicky bullsh*t that wasn't necessary.

7 hours ago, Dobber said:

I guess you haven't been paying much attention, because opinion of the series was steadily trending upward starting from the Short Treks to the midpoint of Season Two, where the bottom fell out after the show fell off the wagon and resumed its bad habits.  I know I'll keep watching for the foreseeable future because the last two Short Treks and season two's first half proved that CBS absolutely CAN do Star Trek right... which makes it all the more baffling when the writing quality takes a dive and we're back to a mary sue main character and a plot where the writers keep forgetting there are facts the characters shouldn't know yet.

Not voicing an opinion because other fans don't agree with you strikes me as as intellectual cowardice.  A robust exchange of views is a fundamental of discussion in general.  If you have a thoughtful analysis to share, share it.  We don't bite.  

17 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

To be brutally frank, I cannot say that I blame anyone for being pessimistic about Star Wars IX's prospects.  Not just because pessimism is an inherently liberating philosophy where things almost always turn out better than you expected and you're braced for the worst when they don't, but because they have every reason to expect that Star Wars IX is going to be a stinker after the last several films.  There's a point where it stops being pessimism and starts being pattern recognition... which you could argue is around the point where that discontent starts putting the kind of measurable dent in the box office take that would spell the demise of a lesser franchise.

I don't really have a stake in it since I'm a filthy casual who thought The Force Awakens was entertaining if a bit unimaginative in a standard popcorn flick sort of way and wasn't all that bothered by The Last Jedi except for Rose and her plot tumor, but for the sake of fairness I would question what exactly the fans who were so disappointed by those films (and maybe Solo) have in the way of cause for optimism regarding Star Wars IX?  Apart from the fact that a marginally less sh*tty director is in charge (I can't bring myself to call Abrams "good" after the last three Star Trek movies, sorry), all they've really got is two dueling creators whose visions of Star Wars aren't even on the same page.

I did say I rather liked the poster... but hey, since I promised it to TehPW, try this one on for size:

For all the vitriol that's been directed at Rey and Finn over their acknowledged status as representational characters and the writing problems that brought with it, I think they're two of the most interesting characters Star Wars has ever had.  

Both the original Star Wars trilogy and the Star Wars prequel trilogy revolved around a Chosen Hero of Ultimate Destiny.  Luke Skywalker never really had much in the way of agency in how he lived his life.  The Jedi Order sent him to Tatooine to be raised by his aunt and uncle, who conspired to keep him on the farm and far removed from anything resembling a choice about how to live his life.  He got railroaded into following Obi-wan Kenobi offworld, joining the Rebel Alliance, and becoming a Jedi Knight.  He didn't choose anything in his life because destiny and other people chose for him.  (Admittedly if the ghost of Alec Guinness showed up and told me I had stuff to be getting on with, you'd bet I'd hustle too, so I can't hold that against him.)  Anakin Skywalker had an even more exaggerated version of the same problem, since the Force and destiny shat him into being and he was more or less immediately labeled The Chosen One with the Great Destiny of defeating the Dark Side.  That dogged him for his entire run until Obi-wan hacked off a bunch of his extremities, then yelled at him for screwing up his preordained destiny, and ran off.

Rey and Finn are the first Star Wars protagonists to have agency.  They're not being railroaded into things by the Force enforcing a great destiny because of their bloodline or any of that nonsense.  They are, for all intents and purposes, random people whose fates were shaped by their morals and the choices they made based on them.  Rey was a junk collector on a planet with an even better claim to being farthest from the bright center of the universe than Tatooine does (sorry Luke) who had at least half a dozen opportunities to bail on the adventure she's on and return to living as a junk collector on her sh*thole home planet.  She strongly considered it several times, but in the end the choices she made set her on her collision course with Finn, Han Solo, the Resistance, Kylo Ren and Snoke, and ultimately Master Skywalker.  Likewise, Finn could've turned a blind eye to the First Order's crimes, but he didn't.  He could've chosen to run and hide once he got to Jakku, maybe take passage elsewhere.  He could've chosen to take that flight to the Outer Rim.  He also had many opportunities to opt out and run away, but every time he made a conscious (often visibly reluctant) choice to do what was right instead of what was easy.  They're heroes because they were nobodies from nowhere who dared to be badass.  They're not part of a chosen bloodline of the destined.  It could've been anybody, which sends a powerful message in-universe and to the audience.

For that reason, I'm interested in seeing where the final movie of this Star Wars trilogy is headed.  They're products of their own choices and their fates are not preordained by the Force, so anything could happen.  Will Rey keep stubbornly trying to find a hidden iota of good in the spoiled brat who is now the last of the Skywalker line, or will she make Sith sashimi out of him and prevent a recurrence of the problem a generation or two down the line?  Will Finn become a leader in the new Rebellion or just stay a capable right hand man?  Will Poe Dameron not suck at something besides piloting ever?  Rian Johnson made a lot of terrible creative choices, but he left some story hooks open that Abrams would be a fool to pass on.  This is supposedly the swansong of the entire main Star Wars film series, so they've got a lot of loose threads to tie up, and since they're operating with a good deal more freedom than usual it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

1.  Such as what happened when Marvel Comics revealed the backstory of their landmark representational African-American character The Falcon, and in a moment of supreme tone-deaf idiocy revealed that he wasn't a straight-laced kid... he was a career criminal who'd been brainwashed into believing he'd been an upstanding citizen all his life by a Nazi supervillain (Red Skull).  More recently, Star Trek: Discovery found itself under fire for heavily advertising the presence of a gay couple on the cast and killing one of them off part of the way through the first season.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Corrected my stupid goof WRT publishers

Seto, with respect to your postscript note, did you mean DC?  I'm sure those characters are from Marvel...

And on-topic:  I really like that line of reasoning and would have to agree that there's still a LOT to work with for this next movie.

Edited by mickyg

13 hours ago, mickyg said:

Seto, with respect to your postscript note, did you mean DC?  I'm sure those characters are from Marvel...

You're right.  I've revealed I'm also a filthy filthy casual when it comes to comic books.;) :lol:

I confused publishers for my two examples of botched representation characters, the other one being the first token black character in the Legion of Super Heroes who happened to have been written as a racist by a racist (Tyroc).

And on-topic:  I really like that line of reasoning and would have to agree that there's still a LOT to work with for this next movie.

They'd be a lot better off if they'd just go off the rails with it and let the story go where it will.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

18 hours ago, jenius said:

Later this month is Star Wars Fest in Chicago and that will be where real new content begins trickling out. Then I'm sure the Lego catalog will drop as I feel like Lego has been the biggest spoiler for the last two movies.

Ah... but let's take whatever they reveal with a grain of salt: some of the stuff they decided to produce hasn't always made it into the (final cut of) the movie.  E.g.: the First Order Snow Speeder.

4 hours ago, mickyg said:

(...)

I do enjoy reading the often witty comments that people share, even when it's clear they haven't got a lot of nice comments to make.  I guess we just have to make sure we don't potentially poison the well for others before they even get a chance to drink.  It's one of many reasons I try to keep my distance from a thread or news when it gets close to a movie's release date.  There's just way too much I can pick up from reading some well written thoughts on a subject.  I'd rather make up my mind myself when I see something for the first time.

(...)

I fully agree.  Well, as long as the comments (even if they are negative) are adding to the conversation.  If it's the same poster making the exact same diatribe point for the nth time, well TLDR. :lol:

As far as movies that I haven't seen yet go: avoiding any and all discussion threads is also my preferred action.  You know—internet: spoilers! :ph34r:

On 3/31/2019 at 1:44 AM, ErikElvis said:

I’ve always been a huge Star Wars fan. It’s sad that I have no expectations for the next movie. 

Same here. After the last two, there is no way the last movie will come close to the level of Return of the Jedi. I wonder how this movie will perform financially after Solo. I still haven't seen that one. I want to as I like Rogue One and that movie surprised me. But I wonder if people will pass on this movie. I'm thinking that they won't since it's a main Star Wars movie and JJ is directing. But you never know. I won't be seeing this movie in theaters. I know that for sure.

Edited by JetJockey

I will be seeing it in theater. I liked TFA (as well as JJTrek) and will give JJ a chance to pull a Hail Mary play. It would be great if the opening scene could be Finn waking up from the coma he was in, and we find that TLJ was a dream... It will be hard though, because Rian left most of the right fruit on the vine and picked almost all the sour ones. Time will tell, and certainly not teasers or trailers, as they all looked better than the actual movie...

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

Or if JJ starts this one with a similar line he used in TFA “this will help make things right”

Chris

*opening crawl*

STAR WARS

EPISODE 9

UNFRAKIN THE LAST MOVIE

So the last movie was a disaster, so here's my attempt to un-FUBAR that crap....

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

I don't know really what to think.

I know what I thought for the briefest moment when the words: "The saga comes to and end" showed up.

Thank God.

Hmmm,  may be I'm being too harsh, let's for one second imagine that Rey is the love child of Luke and Leia.... that would put a spin on things.  ;)  Certainly takes star wars in a direction that conventional wisdom wouldn't have accepted.  It would be JJ's redemption of that mess Rian made.

Before anyone complains... remember, we're in the post.... whatever age...  no one should be judgemental about these things.  

Edited by kalvasflam