1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

...The idea that they're going to raid the boneyard for more nostalgia fighters just hammers home that they just flat out have no imagination....

I do hope that they do that. The Resistance at the end of TLJ had nothing but the Falcon and a couple dozen Rebels, and if they keep to the story line, then no assistance is coming either. They have to get ships from someplace and I would love to see some legacy ships from ANH showing up again, esp if they don't make any visual changes to them

2 hours ago, mickyg said:

I'm in agreement. Kylo destroyed his helmet in TLJ. Why would he have it back for this movie?

From what I've heard and the look of the helmet in that poster, it has been pieced back together again. I hope there is a good reason for it.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

3PO also appears to be hold Rey’s staff. They made him into a walking coat rack. :rolleyes:

As for the mask..., Abhrams is “undoing” Rian’s work. 

He can't undo much, but I really he can walk some of the Rian stuff in TLJ back.

I hope Lando doesn't die...

5 hours ago, danth said:

My prediction is that since JJ Abrams is a total hack, he's going to undo all the good stuff that Rian Johnson did in TLJ.

There were no good things that Rian did in TLJ...;)

I liked The Force Awakens. It was a fun movie that set-up the new trilogy, but all the good in it was dropped by Rian who didn't want to play from JJ's 'mystery boxes' and did his own thing instead. IMHO what he did sucked. He could have given us a back story for Snoke. No, he killed him instead. He could have given Rey a better backstory than that she was simply abandoned, but no according to Kylo, she was. He could have given us the Knights of Ren, but not. He could have pushed ahead with a grand tale of the Resistance struggling against a resurgent Imperial Remnant, but instead he gave us a two hour car chase with a National Lampoon's Side-trip to Las Vegas tacked on...

I was disappointed with most of TLJ, not the least of which with what he did to Luke. Everything about Luke in TLJ was an utter failure, and then he has him die off with a whimper... I will say that scene with him against Kylo was awesome - until it was revealed that it was nothing but a fake-out.

If somehow JJ could erase TLJ, I would stand and applaud, but that would be just fantasy. I have hope though that he can pull Rian's Mess out of the trash he willingly dumped it into and give us a good end to this trilogy. I feel like dropping to my knees in prayer... (if I was religious...)

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

And it was the Premium Finish version, too. 

All will be forgiven if we see at least a deleted scene where Kylo Ren complaints about Rian Johnson making him destroy his original helmet because the replacement was MISB.

17 hours ago, Thom said:

There were no good things that Rian did in TLJ...;)

That isn't true, he was proof that The Force Awakens is not a good movie on it's own.  It required mystery box answers in the sequels that Rian decided to ignore.

21 hours ago, Thom said:

I do hope that they do that. The Resistance at the end of TLJ had nothing but the Falcon and a couple dozen Rebels, and if they keep to the story line, then no assistance is coming either. They have to get ships from someplace and I would love to see some legacy ships from ANH showing up again, esp if they don't make any visual changes to them.

See... no.  While it would be relatively reasonable for them to find a stash of vintage Y-Wings somewhere, the entire problem is that it takes literally zero creative effort to slap them into another movie.  I'd rather they find literally anything else to fight with, just to prove that someone in the universe is capable of original thought, and may have developed a style of ship that we haven't seen yet.

Tell me something..  Why, in a literal galaxy-spanning civilization, does every single freakin' group seem to use nothing but rehashes of OT ships?  For crying out loud, they could pick something, ANYTHING from the EU already.  There are probably thousands of different designs discussed throughout the entirety of both the old EU and the new canon novels.  SHOW US SOMETHING NEW.  They need to prove to us that they have a single creative bone in their bodies, and design something original that has a chance of being iconic on its own merits, instead of riding McQuarrie's coattails into infinity.

The absolute least they could do is reference the designs they're making for the Resistance cartoon.

Bottom line?  They need to stop imitating, and innovate.  Make the designs and movies stand on their own, and do something iconic.  Make something they can make merchandise of that will sell worth half a damn, without looking like a knockoff of an OT or PT design.  Please.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

That isn't true, he was proof that The Force Awakens is not a good movie on it's own.  It required mystery box answers in the sequels that Rian decided to ignore.

I agree it is not a perfect movie, but rather than answer any of the questions left by TFA, all Rian did was to ignore them or just give more questions. A lot that was left hanging in TFA was left hanging, which is not good for a story teller creating the middle of a trilogy.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

See... no.  While it would be relatively reasonable for them to find a stash of vintage Y-Wings somewhere, the entire problem is that it takes literally zero creative effort to slap them into another movie.  I'd rather they find literally anything else to fight with, just to prove that someone in the universe is capable of original thought, and may have developed a style of ship that we haven't seen yet.

Tell me something..  Why, in a literal galaxy-spanning civilization, does every single freakin' group seem to use nothing but rehashes of OT ships?  For crying out loud, they could pick something, ANYTHING from the EU already.  There are probably thousands of different designs discussed throughout the entirety of both the old EU and the new canon novels.  SHOW US SOMETHING NEW.  They need to prove to us that they have a single creative bone in their bodies, and design something original that has a chance of being iconic on its own merits, instead of riding McQuarrie's coattails into infinity.

The absolute least they could do is reference the designs they're making for the Resistance cartoon.

Bottom line?  They need to stop imitating, and innovate.  Make the designs and movies stand on their own, and do something iconic.  Make something they can make merchandise of that will sell worth half a damn, without looking like a knockoff of an OT or PT design.  Please.

And that would be fine too. But be careful, when you quest for new designs you may end up getting just another thing like the StarFortress bomber...;)

I would love to see some new designs, but at the risk of getting more Resistance bombers - or that gawd-aweful B-Wing-bashed transport! - I would prefer something familiar and beloved.

Well, there was a LOT of what I'd hoped was foreshadowing of the X-wing sitting there, under water in the TLJ, only for it to be completely ignore.  Having it return in the next movie would at least make the investment (maybe it was CG though) make sense?

10 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Well, there was a LOT of what I'd hoped was foreshadowing of the X-wing sitting there, under water in the TLJ, only for it to be completely ignore.  Having it return in the next movie would at least make the investment (maybe it was CG though) make sense?

Maybe that X-Wing was there just to show how he got there, and that he never, ever, intended to leave?

Oh, undoubtedly.  Especially in the context of the movie.  I just want to believe it somehow has a place in the next movie, I guess.

Actually, I'm sort of not caring anymore.  I saw TLJ more than once and really tried to give it a chance each time and just came away so apathetic in the end.  I'm hoping my enthusiasm returns but it may just be that I'm no longer the target age group for these movies or those nostalgia glasses just totally ruined anything "new" from here on.

I don't hate these movies, but I don't really care about them that much either.

59 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Oh, undoubtedly.  Especially in the context of the movie.  I just want to believe it somehow has a place in the next movie, I guess.

Actually, I'm sort of not caring anymore.  I saw TLJ more than once and really tried to give it a chance each time and just came away so apathetic in the end.  I'm hoping my enthusiasm returns but it may just be that I'm no longer the target age group for these movies or those nostalgia glasses just totally ruined anything "new" from here on.

it's likely because r*tards now drive the Star Wars bus... and I agree. there's nothing to care about, anymore.

1 hour ago, mickyg said:

I feel the same now. 

I don’t care who dies next, in fact maybe everyone should.. except for Chewie..

You never know, there is always hope that JJ can pull off a miracle after the Rian disaster... let's face it, TFA was actually pretty good in retrospect.  Although, about that poster, are we sure it wasn't fan made?  cause I just can't imagine 3PO going full HK on us.

10 hours ago, mickyg said:

I understand.

While I thought Solo was pretty good, the whole new trilogy is "meh".

Anyhow, there's an article that sums up our melancholy: "Has Star Wars Reached Peak Prequel?" https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40973254

It's from the eve of Solo's release.  For the TLDR crowd:

Spoiler

In short, it says that Rogue One was the peak, and it'll be downhill from there.

Could be fan-art, could be a test-shot.

As for Luke's X-Wing, it definitely looked like it was put there to stay. Luke had no intention of ever leaving Atchoo after he got there and stupidly cut himself off from the Force. (thanks Rian!:angry:)

I can imagine it being resurrected though. With no other ships left but the Falcon, and knowing an X-Wing is just sitting there waiting to be refurbished and used, they could pick it up. I could see Poe flying it - if they are doing that.

Edited by Thom

1 hour ago, Thom said:

I can imagine it being resurrected though. With no other ships left but the Falcon, and knowing an X-Wing is just sitting there waiting to be refurbished and used, they could pick it up. I could see Poe flying it - if they are doing that.

Please no.. I want to just be done with Flyboy McKarmahoudini.  He was a sickeningly over-hyped mary sue pilot in TFA, and managed to avoid any repercussions for a mutiny that directly led to the vast majority of the entire Resistance dying in the most stupid way imaginable.  I don't think I've ever directly wished for any main character in a Star Wars movie to die, even the bad ones, but Poe needs to loop-dee-loop himself into a black hole and disappear.

TLJ is really unique in that regard.  I don't think I've ever come out of any movie with such a firm belief that the film would have been much better if half of the main characters had died in the first five minutes.

17 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

They need to prove to us that they have a single creative bone in their bodies, and design something original that has a chance of being iconic on its own merits, instead of riding McQuarrie's coattails into infinity...

Strongly agree.

20 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Please no.. I want to just be done with Flyboy McKarmahoudini.  He was a sickeningly over-hyped mary sue pilot in TFA, and managed to avoid any repercussions for a mutiny that directly led to the vast majority of the entire Resistance dying in the most stupid way imaginable.  I don't think I've ever directly wished for any main character in a Star Wars movie to die, even the bad ones, but Poe needs to loop-dee-loop himself into a black hole and disappear.

And strongly agree.

Be ready for a forced Rey/Poe romance in the next movie though. As gross as that would be. Yuck. 

Luke’s X-wing May very well be fully intact and ready to fly , maybe with some sea fronds attached or kelp decorations.. but something designed to travel at FTL in the vaccume of space could sit there in the water for a LONG time and remain ready to go..

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

Luke’s X-wing May very well be fully intact and ready to fly , maybe with some sea fronds attached or kelp decorations.. but something designed to travel at FTL in the vaccume of space could sit there in the water for a LONG time and remain ready to go..

Except vacuum doesn't cause corrosion.  The cabin is sealed, but there's no reason a ship in space needs to be airtight all over.  It'll probably be preserved just as well as any other aircraft sitting underwater for a decade or so would be, which is to say, the water will have probably seeped into every crevice, and unless every source of internal lubrication and coolant is sealed well enough to stave off the corrosive effects of plain water over extended periods, it's probably going to run just as well as your car would, if you parked it in your pool for a few years.

Frankly, the fact that it was even recognizable under the water seemed odd to me.  Either they just didn't want to make it look dirty, or the water on that planet is extraordinarily devoid of any ecosystem beyond the single fish that Luke speared. :p 

Which is why it would need to be refurbished. I'm assuming its tech is a bit hardier than any modern or WWII age equivalent, but doubt seriously that it would be flight worthy without a complete tear-down. But this is the movies. That can be done in one two minute montage scene. As for Poe, again movies can be very forgiving of character idiocy and he is the likeliest candidate - unless Rey gets the hot seat...:D

Edited by Thom

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

(...) but something designed to travel at FTL in the vaccume of space could sit there in the water for a LONG time and remain ready to go..

This is a common SF fallacy.  While it is true that spacecraft and submarines are both pressure vessels, one is designed to keep high pressure out (a submarine) and one is designed to keep high pressure in (the spacecraft).

Putting it into different words: how many airplanes can keep the water out when they ditch in the sea? ;)

A lot of the salt in this thread fills me with life, but this...

On 3/28/2019 at 11:39 PM, TehPW said:

it's likely because r*tards now drive the Star Wars bus... and I agree. there's nothing to care about, anymore.

...can kindly frakk off. How utterly childish.

^ And telling someone whose opinion (one entirely based on the actions and reactions of Lucas Films and Disney) differs from your own to "kindly" frakk off, just because you happen to like the excrement sandwiches the House of Mouse has been feeding you, isn't beyond utterly childish???...:huh::huh::blink::blink:... ooookayyyy then...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pot meet Kettle.  Carry on.

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

A lot of the salt in this thread fills me with life, but this...

...can kindly frakk off. How utterly childish.

is it childish? Seto, on the STD thread explained it CLEARLY why the latest Star Wars movies have had issues. It's completely retarded... utterly. I'm just being honest about it: The current production staff that green lighted TLJ are/were complete morons. You can disagree as is your prerogative, I don't care personally.

All we can hope is someone in the future (and deep pockets) redoing the movie ala 1990's reissue of the movie like it was done for IV, V & VI*... or Jar Jar hits IX out of the park...

*although, as I recall, they did the reissue to fund the prequals as well as proof-of-concept for the CGI they wanted to use. It seems flimsy a idea to reissue a movie because it by itself is flaming poo...

12 hours ago, Bolt said:

Luke’s X-wing was submerged for how many days in the swamps of degobah?

..Before Yoda lifted it out and Luke flew away in it..

these aren’t airplanes. 

I was going to argue it, but a line by the producers of the TFA came to mind: "physics works differently in the Star Wars universe."  (or something along those lines)

So... we're left with only one thing: the needs of the plot.  In ESB, it was essential that the X-wing still worked.  As far as SW9 is concerned... refer to the line of comments about JJ being a hack, et al.

So has there been an actual trailer, or non-fan made poster or anything at all worthy of the constant negativity?

You guys could literally darken the sun with your consistent dark cloud of doom you bring in here. You don't like The Force Awakens after you saw it, fine. You don't like The Last Jedi after you saw it, also fine.

But damn this movie has literally nothing but a few photos on set and yet you bring the same "I hate everything" into this thread. How about you go resurrect the respective threads for TFA and TLJ if you want to bitch about the Directors, Writers, Actors, Scripts and physics of a fictional work of art?

It's exhausting trying to find even a single positive, or constructive comment...

-b.