What are Everybody's 3 favorite & 3 least favorite Macross toys?

Graham

Best:

1. Yamato/Arcadia VF-1 v.2

It's a classic for a reason. No wonder it's the one I have the most variants of.

2. Bandai DX Chogokin VF-25S Armored (Renewal) 

Not because their VF-25 is necessarily the best toy mold (it's not), but because it looks so damn good on my shelf. (I know that with the Armor Pack installed, it's technically two toys combined, but I bend the rules.)

3. Bandai Hi-Metal R Destroid Monster 

High competition for the third place. Could have gone to either the DX VF-31J because of its engineering or a lot of the Yamato/Arcadia Valkyries due to their anime accuracy and luxury feel, but the Monster is probably one of the best looking on my shelf.

Honorable mention to the Arcadia VF-0S which was the closest to make third place. 

Worst:

1. Revoltech transforming VF-1S

A piece of crap. Gave it away to my unknowing brother and never looked back. 

2. Evolution Toys VF-2SS

I knew it wouldn't be that good when I ordered it, but it's so badly engineered and frustrating to handle it's insane. 

3. Bandai DX Chogokin VF-19 ADVANCE

I just don't get the praise it gets. It's just a gappy mess in fighter mode, the excessive tampo makes it busy and cluttered, and it got visible tabs when the Super Parts are installed. I just keep it in fighter mode because battroid is too stylized for my taste. Sitting between my Arcadia YF-19 and DX Chogokin YF-29 Isamu version as part of my "History of Isamu's Rides" display is its only saving grace as far as I'm concerned. 

Dishonorable mention to my Bandai Hi-Metal R VF-1A and Regult, which almost made the list.

Edited by Lorindor

My copy had some quality issues. Also, it's too grey in my opinion and the knee joints are way too gappy and shows a lot of metal, which is distracting. And then it's the "actually too expensive for what you get" angle that's common for (almost) the whole HMR line, but I realize that's just how things are. 

16 hours ago, SuperSenpai said:

3) Yamato 1/48 VF-1 with super/strike parts and missiles: I'm probably going to get some flack for this, since I know a lot of people still like the 1/48s.  But I'm specifically talking about 1/48s with the strike parts and missiles attached.  I had a 1/48 a few years ago, and honestly I found it so frustrating to handle the toy with all the parts on.  Something would always fall off, and forget about trying transform it with parts on. 

I have to agree with this as much as i love the 1/48. I can't tell you how many times those stupid booms from the fast pasks have fallen launching all those mini-missles accross the room. Spent way too much time of my life looking for those tiny missiles.

16 hours ago, Bobby said:

Favorites:

1. VF-2SS by Evolution - Graham said favorite, not best, most well engineered, anime accurate etc. For me, it fills the void of having wanted one as it's my favorite valk. I actually have 3 Silvie's, 2 Faeries, and 2 Nexx's. I really enjoy them regardless of all their MANY faults and am looking forward to having Bandai's someday (hopefully).

16 hours ago, seti88 said:

I thk bobby head the nail on the head...its a favorite list not best made etc...:p

Graham specifically says favorite TOY. The toy part to me specially refers to the toy aspects (design, engineered and playablity). All those aspects should be considered when deciding your favorite. Even though your favorite valk is definitely subjective person to person, i can't see how anyone can claim the vf-2ss is a favorite TOY. I myself love the lineart design but not the toy design, engineering and pretty much anything else about it.

I'm really having a hard time to answer this question. Since I'm rather new to the Macross toy collecting business I don't really ever owned many of the toys that rightfully deserve a mention in the worst toy category. I do own the GNU-DO Macross Plus toys but I got them basically for free so no harm done. 

I also don't have a Macross toy in my collection that I actively despise (with the exception of one). So please have mercy when you go over this section.

The best:

• The Yamato VF-19F. This toy is the perfect mix of playability, sturdiness and high quality collectible. Everything I like in a collectible toy is present in this Valkyrie. Since this was also my first Yamato toy it left a lasting impression on me. The only negatives I have is the glossy plastic which makes it stand out in a collection of matte Valkyries and the fact that Yamato never produced the Super Parts for it.
  • The Bandai Renewal VF-25 + Armored Parts. This beast is stunning. Among the things I love about is are the best painted missile warheads in the history of Macross toys ever (at least for the ones I own). Copious painted details (to a fault), transformable into all three modes with the armor attached (theoretically) and overall stunning looking. I love the Armored Fighter-Mode because it resembles the space fighter art I always gushed about on my game cartridges. I also love the look of the bare Fighter-Mode and the throwbacks to the Skull Squadron color coding from DYRL. 
  • The Arcadia VF-0 toys. Besides the issues with the legs (mine is fine for now) on the VF-0A I think these Valkyries are the better VF-1s. They feel awesome in hand: high quality plastic and material mix bring the Arcadia VF-0s onto this list. Plus points for doing the RA set for the VF-0S. Minor criticism for missing vital paint applications like the U.N.SPACY markings on the leg

Honorable mentions go the the VF-31 Siegfried which would have made it to the list if it weren't for the awful poseable hands. Runners up would be the Bandai VF-171 (not the CF version) and the Yamato/Arcadia VF-4

The worst (not really):

• The Bandai YF-29 Fokker Custom. This is probably the only toy that deserves to be on this list. I like the mold but my copy has numerous issues. Super floppy hip joints so it can't stand up on its own, various paint scratches out of the box and warped head lasers (with no option for hard plastic ones). What doesn't help is that I bought it during the Renewal craze where I thought I never get a chance to get a YF-29 toy ever. So I payed a hefty markup at NY and shortly after that Bandai announced a reissue of the toy. I'm much happier with my YF-29 Alto and Ozma Custom. Odd nitpick: the box doesn't fit in with the other Renewal boxes
  • The Yamato VF-17S. It is not really a bad toy but omitting  all paint applications is sinful. I don't agree with the notion that it looks stealthier without them. I hate applying stickers to my collectibles especially if they are not cut correctly and you have to trim them yourself it never looks good because either you cut not enough of the transparent outline or you cut into the sticker. *sigh*. I also prefer the Bandai VF-171 over this. One thing would be the collapsing backpack that is not present on the VF-17. Another one would be the far better looking Battroid-Mode on the VF-171. The toy has some good qualities. I love the storage of the gun-pod in the legs and Yamato mostly nailed the sleek Fighter- and bulky Battroid-Mode look that seems impossible to do. One day I need to get myself a VF-17D (and a VF-19F).
  • Now here is a controversial piece. The Arcadia VF-1 releases. Like the VF-17 the original Valkyrie this is a good toy. For the time of its release it was even a great one. However now that I have the VF-0s in hand I think the VF-1 could be much nicer. So why did the toy made it to the list. First I don't like how flimsy and hallow the legs feel. I prefer the heftier VF-0 legs . I also don't like the landing gear bay doors. They never seem to line up with the bays itself which makes me cringe every time I look at the Battroid-Mode. I also wished the shoulders would peg into the sides of the torso (this is also true for the new VF-0 toys). It doesn't help that Arcadia never released single Super Strike Packs for the VF-1 and now releasing bundle set after bundle set of the toys I already own (the VF-1S Hikaru and Fokker). To make it worse they release super expensive, super limited premium versions of the toy that I would be very interested in but for the asking price I don't need the same toy twice.

Dishonorable mentions go to my VF-25S super loose hip joints and the black triangles on the VF-171CF. 

Like I said the VF-17 and VF-1 don't really belong to the worse list but from all the toys I own I wish they would be better than they are. I really would like to see a V3 VF-1 from Arcadia. Especially if they could incorporate all the stuff Bandai tried (but ultimately failed) with the 1/72 model (waist joint, leg delivery mechanism, ankle tilt) and combine that with the look & feel of the VF-0 toys I think they would make a great update to an undoubtedly good toy. 

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Graham specifically says favorite TOY. The toy part to me specially refers to the toy aspects (design, engineered and playablity). All those aspects should be considered when deciding your favorite. Even though your favorite valk is definitely subjective person to person, i can't see how anyone can claim the vf-2ss is a favorite TOY. I myself love the lineart design but not the toy design, engineering and pretty much anything else about it.

You're definitely right that those aspects are very important in assessing a favorite toy. As a matter of fact, if we were to imagine a bar chart that had the design quotient, engineering quotient, playability quotient, cost quotient, etc. rated in columns, the VF-2SS would score very low in these categories. But also in assessing one's favorite toy there's another metric which is any toys "X-Factor".

Since this makes it subjective I don't expect this can truly answer the question as to how anyone can claim this VF-2SS as a favorite. But in my case Evolutions attempt was still able to fulfill a two decades+ long desire of putting something into a spot that's been reserved for a VF-2SS toy for a long time. It is probably more of the idea of finally having one than what it actually is in this case to the point where my x-factor rating just gets launched off the charts. And I'm not married to this particular version either because if Bandai does end up producing the hi-metal one we saw at the Tamashiination 2015 booth that will probably become my favorite!
tamashiination2015-3.jpg

As mentioned earlier and in an attempt to be levelheaded, my VF-2SS rating would realistically have its bars for price, design, engineering, playability, etc. very low, like below the baseline in some cases (negative). But still, if I am to be honest with myself and consider my ratings of all my valks side by side, the highest scoring in the X-Factor category would have to be this VF-2SS toy... ...and so high (Battroid mode for display rating would be a decent score too in this case) it's to the point that it outweighs my negatives to end up in this position...at least for now.

I know it's sad and I'm sure no one envies any of this like I envy many of you whose favorite valk ended up being a genuinely anime accurate engineering marvel that is highly playable and does Macross some real justice ;) 

My 3 Favourite Macross Toys:

1) VF-1 v.2 Yamato-Arcadia 1/60, all of them, pure love

2) SDF-1 Macross 1/3000 Yamato, best movie version toy ever

3) Bandai HMR the entire line specially the Monster and zentraedi mecha

My 3 Least Favourite Macross Toys:

1) VF-2SS 1/60 by Evolutions Toys, the toy plastic and the flawless design sucks you people already know about that

2) Macross Plus VF-11B 1/72 v.1 by Yamato, when you open the box for the first time the toy is already broken in "NEW" condition

3) VF-1 1/100 by Banpresto, it's really a piece of crap....

Vintage /re-issued Takatoku Valks still withstands the test of time.

Just a question, has Bandai ever released/re-issued the armor for the 1/55 Valkyries? If not why? 

Edited by fenrir72
Added a question

14 minutes ago, fenrir72 said:

Vintage /re-issued Takatoku Valks still withstands the test of time.

Just a question, has Bandai ever released/re-issued the armor for the 1/55 Valkyries? If not why? 

The rumor is that the armor (GBP) mold was lost at sea. 

Just now, jenius said:

The rumor is that the armor (GBP) mold was lost at sea. 

Bandai lost the Takatoku armor mold? Too bad. Btw, anyone here at MW even own one? I only saw it in one of the old catalog inserts in my vintage1/55  VF1A Hikaru colors.

51 minutes ago, fenrir72 said:

Bandai lost the Takatoku armor mold? Too bad. Btw, anyone here at MW even own one? I only saw it in one of the old catalog inserts in my vintage1/55  VF1A Hikaru colors.

They don't call it MacrossWorld for nothing.....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/41631-item-of-interest-spotted-onebay/?do=findComment&comment=1306531

gallery_12176_633_580625.jpg

gallery_12176_633_1490424.jpg

Old School never gets old!!! :wub:

BTW, what catalog are you referring to?  A catalog with a VF-1A in Hikaru colors would not have included the GBP set, which was only released as a Takatoku branded toy....the VF-1A in Hikaru colors would have been released by Bandai in their Hi-Metal Macross line.

Takatoku Toys Catalog circa 1983....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/34685-1983-takatoku-toys-catalog/

Bandai Catalog circa 1985....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/43597-bandai-toy-catalog-1985/

Takatoku GBP promo poster from 1983.....

gallery_12176_640_250161.jpg

Edited by jvmacross

48 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

They don't call it MacrossWorld for nothing.....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/41631-item-of-interest-spotted-onebay/?do=findComment&comment=1306531

gallery_12176_633_580625.jpg

gallery_12176_633_1490424.jpg

Old School never gets old!!! :wub:

BTW, what catalog are you referring to?  A catalog with a VF-1A in Hikaru colors would not have included the GBP set, which was only released as a Takatoku branded toy....the VF-1A in Hikaru colors would have been released by Bandai in their Hi-Metal Macross line.

Takatoku Toys Catalog circa 1983....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/34685-1983-takatoku-toys-catalog/

Bandai Catalog circa 1985....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/43597-bandai-toy-catalog-1985/

Takatoku GBP promo poster from 1983.....

gallery_12176_640_250161.jpg

That's the catalog I saw. Jebusfrikincris!:wub:

48 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

LOL...perhaps it was lost in the same vortex that sunk the Chinese cargo ship containing the Toynami Vinyl Glaugs.....

Seriously. I heard that story about Toynami too. True or did they just over promise a vapor ware/item?

4 minutes ago, fenrir72 said:

That's the catalog I saw. Jebusfrikincris!:wub:

OK...so maybe I misunderstood....did you mean a VF-1A cannon fodder in a Hikaru TV GBP armor?

If so, maybe you were looking at this "catalog" which is actually a furoku from the July 1983 MyAnime mag from back in the day....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29270-macross-magazines/?do=findComment&comment=959464

gallery_12176_640_3169951.jpg

gallery_12176_640_2738318.jpg

21 minutes ago, fenrir72 said:

Seriously. I heard that story about Toynami too. True or did they just over promise a vapor ware/item?

At this point it would not make any sense for them to release it....but who knows....for a long time the thought was that we would never see their teased GBP sets....but they ended up releasing them and pretty much no one wanted them at that point as the Bandai HMR version was also about to be unleashed.....bad timing for Toynami....always several years too late and several dollars too much....:fool:

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

OK...so maybe I misunderstood....did you mean a VF-1A cannon fodder in a Hikaru TV GBP armor?

If so, maybe you were looking at this "catalog" which is actually a furoku from the July 1983 MyAnime mag from back in the day....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29270-macross-magazines/?do=findComment&comment=959464

gallery_12176_640_3169951.jpg

gallery_12176_640_2738318.jpg

To clarify. the only time I saw an image of a Takatoku/Bandai VF1s in GBP armor was in a catalog that came in with my vintage Bandai VF1 A 1/55 figure. It had red and black patterns on his chest. Sorry for the confusion

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

At this point it would not make any sense for them to release it....but who knows....for a long time the thought was that we would never see their teased GBP sets....but they ended up releasing them and pretty much no one wanted them at that point as the Bandai HMR version was also about to be unleashed.....bad timing for Toynami....always several years too late and several dollars too much....:fool:

They really need to hire a new feng shui adviser then :lol:. Opportunity seems to be their worst enemy.

Oh i like this topic

Favorites

1.  Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 - of course i love these.  still the best overall valkyries after all these years (9 years!!).  my favorite waivers between low vis roy, or hikaru vf-1d usually.

2.  Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1:  i'm pretty sure i could get over $1000 for this if i unloaded this....and i'm not doing that.  as much as i wish it were a TV version, the DYRL version is better looking and i love it.  

3.  The chunky fricken monkey:  played with a cousin's as a kid (i only had jetfire!)  and fell in love with it.  his was a kakizaki i think.  when i becamse an adult i bought the i think 2002 reissue VF-1s super  (infortunately it says hikaru instead of roy on it because the super wasn't used until after roy died).  i love it because its where it all started for me.

least favorite:

1.  fire valkyrie...1/65 bandai.  i got it as a gift...did not like it...years later i sold it off.  i just don't like M7 colors/designs as much.

2.  vf-171 dx chogokin cannon fodder....i love and hate thee.  paranoid it wil break...best looking 171 though.  i have 3 and as of last check nothign broken but  inever tranformed 2 of them.

3.  SV-151 - another love hate story...love the design...but it just feels floppy in hand.

Favorites are pretty easy for me to pick

1. Yamarcadia V2 VF-1 - No need to really go into this. We all love them and know why.

2. Yamato VF-4G - There really is no finer example of an outstanding looking plane that has the ability to transform. Smooth sleek lines, almost completely without gaps. I still have moments of awe from the engineering when I look at it. While i'm sure most people would have prefered the FB 2012 scheme I like the low-viz version they were forced to go with. Of course that won't stop me from picking up any other scheme they may release for this in the future.

3. Arcadia VF0's - I liked (and still do) Yamato's version but this really was a fantastic upgrade. better proportions, nice heft, stiff joints even after many transformations. I'm sure my opinion is colored by the fact that I didn't have any leg issues with mine, but I didn't so I love 'em.

My least favorites are harder for me to choose. I like pretty much everything I have, warts and all.

1. Yamato 1/60 VF-17S - It's not bad but definitely my least favorite. While it feels and looks like a quality product I get frustrated every time I try to do anything with it. The legs never stay in place in fighter mode, they always drop down due to the weight of them and the weak attachment points. I'm not much of a fan of the transformation either, especially with the hips. The swivel there is too tight so I feel like I am on the verge of breaking it. In contracts the hip expansion is too loose and never stays in place. All in all I much prefer the DX VF-171.

2. Yamato 1/60 VF-19K - I don't really want to put this here as overall I like my VF-19's but my 19K has been a disappointment. The attachment point of the shoulders to the legs in fighter mode is way too tight. So tight in fact that when I tried to detach it I had to apply so much force that it broke when it finally did release. I also had an issue with it cracking at the elbow requiring surgery to re-attach it. It just sits in fighter mode now for fear of something else breaking. My other VF-19's look better in battroid mode anyway.

3. Bandai VF-25/27 1/72 model kits - Not sure if these count as a toy, but what the heck it's an opinion piece so here they are. I've been into Gundam for many years and am a big fan of Bandai's model kits. The only issue I have had is with their transforming kits, like Zeta, and these kits fall into that same category of failure. Overall they have pretty good engineering but the tolerances are so tight that even a thin coat of paint makes it impossible to properly assemble it. And forget trying to transform it and not scratch it or snap something. After trying to do a proper paint job on my VF-27 and finding that I could no longer re-assemble it without lots of gaps I had to give up on doing a good job with the VF-25's I got. I just painted the small stripes where I knew that they would't impact transformation or rub off and applied the decals and left the bare plastic with a top coat for everything else. When done I was just happy to move on from them rather than having my normal sense of satisfaction.

Favorites:

Yamato 1/48 VF-1. I love the size and heft of these beasts. The wow factor of this scale is off the churt. They're great :wub:

Bandai 1/60 YF-30 Kronos. Missile bay is cool as heck and it's a nice blend of old and new.

Bandai 1/60 VF-31 Siegfried. Combines nice elements of the YF-19, YF-21, and YF-30. Pumped that I can get in on the ground floor of these releases :D

Honorable mention to the Yamato 1/60 YF-21. Huge macross plus fan and this bird is sleek.

Least favorite:

Bandai VF100s. I recall being very dissatisfied after opening the box. The gun was badly warped on my VF-25F <_<

Revoltech VF-1. Very dynamic figures but they feel quite cheap and paint job can be sloppy.

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
a word

My List:

1) Bandai HI Metal R Regult

2) Bandai HI Metal R Glaug

3) Robot Spirits Klan Klang Quaedluun Rhea

I love the Zentraedi mecha designs.  Pity we're limited to 3 macros Toys.

My least faves:

1) A Hickaru valkyrie

2) Yamato Queadluun Rau

The Valkyrie is an earlier Hi Metal version (I think) but given that it is not a Zentraedi mecha I have not bothered much with it as yet. Zentraedi Mecha are just so much more interesting.

The Yamato is not my fave because despite being a Queadluun it just doesn't look impressive (looks and feels like a cheap child's toy). It also isn't the TV version.

Good question.

I'm not trolling, this is my honest opinion.

Favorites: Too many favorites. Cannot pick just three. 

Least Favorite: Yamato 1/60 VF-1 V1. The parts-former made me swear off Macross toys for 10 years.

8 hours ago, Mommar said:

Three least favorite are easy for me.  Yamato 1/60 VF-0 arm disintegration simulation.  Yamato 1/60 YF-19 floppiness simulation.  Bandai 1/60 VF-171 CF perfect explosion.

Couldn't pick a favorite...

The should market that on the box as a feature for the cf-171: "Able to simulate perfect explosion!!!"

I guess I'll give this a shot; My 3 favorites:

1) Arcadia VF-0S:

I honestly didn't think I'd like this toy as much as I do until I got it. I didn't even care that much for the VF-0 based on lineart or the original toy, but this toy is just so gorgeous. It's like a VF-1, only better looking. It's the skull one scheme everyone loves, only way more subtle and classy. It's got the size of the 1/48's without being primitive. It's fun to transform and solid in every mode. TBH the only negative thing I can say about it is that it's so good that it makes me want more VF-0's but none of the ones they've released are as problem free as the 0S.

2) VF-31F:

Another toys that I wasn't expecting to love so much until I had it in my hand. I love The VF-31 in general and the 31 toys as a whole are excellent. The transformation is intuitive; every mode locks together solidly; the gimmicks and details are beautifully executed; The battroid mode is unique yet heroic and the FSW version of the 31 has the best looking fighter mode of any valk to date. The -31F gets a special nod for me though which I really wasn't expecting. in pictures I liked the 31J a lot more and thought the 31F seemed kind of bland, but in person the black is surprisingly punchy an really makes the translucent pink on the chest pop like crazy which I love. Also, on person the 31F head is my new all time favorite valk head design.

(TBH, the 0S and 31F are basically tied and I'm not sure which I like more).

3) HMR Monster:

It's just so big and beafy and chunky and adorable. It's a giant frog tank and I want to hug it every time I see it.

honorable mention) SV-262Hs:

This was really close to being 3rd, but the Monster just makes me happy.

My 3 least favorite:

1) Yamato 1/60 v1 VF-1:

God this toy is crap. it's crap on a plate. everything about this toy makes me mad. sculpt is terrible, articulation sucks, paint is bad, transformation sucks, there's needless parts-forming and random bits that just fall off for no reason, some of the worst use of diecast I've ever seen on a toy. also mine broke. twice.

2) DX VF-27:

This was such a disappointing toy. sure it was an improvement over the VF25, but it was still a crap toy. but the fact that the "renewal" version exists just makes it insulting. it sucks knowing there's a better version of a toy I own that's still crap compared to toys that were released before it.

3) 1/48 VF-1's:

They haven't aged well, they're primitive and cheaply made compared to modern toys. Also mine were later run toys that have obvious signs of mold degradation. they're not the worst toys I own or have owned, but there's just nothing about them that I particularly like.

1. Yamato/Arcadia VF-4 - Well executed toy and one of my favorite Valkyrie Designs.

2. Yamato VF-19F/S - Very solid and great bold colors. 

3. Bandai VF-25 Renewals - I just love the detail and presence they have when equipped with their Armor/Super Packs.

Least 

1. Evolution Toys VF-2SS - Extra disappointing because I love the mecha design so much.

2. Bandai VF-171 - Not sure what it is, but I just didn't get excited when I received mine. 

3. Yamato 1/72 Macross Plus line - Don't get me wrong - I still have mine for sentimental purposes, but they sure are rough.

hmm.

I like all my macross toys. Even the VF-4G in its fugly battroid-mode.

It'll be tough to do a top-3 favorite/least-favorite, but here I go...

favorite:

1. 1/60v2 VF-1  <-- pretty much perfect rendition of the classic VF-1. :yahoo:
  2. 1/60 VF-11b   <-- Bestest and most AWESOME non-VF1 perfect valk. :yahoo:
  3.  1/60 Destroids <-- heavy and chunky. Just add some Future/Pledge to tighten up the waist and it's perfect. :drinks:

least-favorite:

1.  1/60 VF-22 Milia  <-- Chest just doesn't lock securely like the VF-22 Max. :angry:
  2.  DX YF-29b  <-- banana ears out of the box. no extra ears included. :angry:
  3.  HMR valks  <-- tiny and the parts-forming is meh.  :unknw:

Prolly would've put the 1/48 in the list of least-fave just coz of the chicken-hands and stuff, but I don't have those anymore...

:touche:

:bump:

Edited by treatment

On 2017-5-6 at 8:09 AM, Boobytrap said:

3. Bandai VF-25/27 1/72 model kits - Not sure if these count as a toy, but what the heck it's an opinion piece so here they are. I've been into Gundam for many years and am a big fan of Bandai's model kits. The only issue I have had is with their transforming kits, like Zeta, and these kits fall into that same category of failure. Overall they have pretty good engineering but the tolerances are so tight that even a thin coat of paint makes it impossible to properly assemble it. And forget trying to transform it and not scratch it or snap something. After trying to do a proper paint job on my VF-27 and finding that I could no longer re-assemble it without lots of gaps I had to give up on doing a good job with the VF-25's I got. I just painted the small stripes where I knew that they would't impact transformation or rub off and applied the decals and left the bare plastic with a top coat for everything else. When done I was just happy to move on from them rather than having my normal sense of satisfaction.

Toys only, no model kits please.

1. Chunky monkey (this is where it started for me with my old Jetfire, it has to come first)

2. Yamato 1/60 line

3. Yamato 1/48 (I didn't love it, I thought the proportions were just off)

least favorite? Are they Macross? Then least favorite isn't a thing with me...

My fav are

1. VF-31, it surely nice to see bandai keep on improving, and fun to play with

2. 1/55 valks, they surely can handle roughy things better and super easy transformation

3. Vf25 renewal, cause I am such a frontier fan lol

Edited by ntsan