Is it worth it anymore?

slaginpit

At Some stage in the near future I'm gonna have to examine all my old Yamato VF-1 v2, Mac 7, Mac Plus and Mac Zero toys that have been sitting untouched in my display cabinet for many years, to check for any cracked or broken joints.

I can sympathize.  My love of this series is firmly planted in nostalgia.  I love SDFM, I like DYRL and I love M+.  Zero was weird.  7 was bad, frontier was worse and delta is representative of everything wrong with "modern" anime.  (This of course is my personal opinion.)  My collection reflects this.   I really love jets that transform into robots thanks to Macross, and the new fighters are cool designs.  So I get one or two of the new ones.  My collection is focused on SDFM as that is the source material I really love.  I feel no need to complete any of the other series collections (other than M+, hence a bit of bleed over with some 7 valks).  As long as they keep keep making valks from the original series that either I don't have in my collection, or somehow gives me a reason to upgrade/add to my collection (the new HMR line is a great example) I will buy those.  If the next series has a cool design, I will buy one or two of those.  It's a lot easier to let those toys go though if you have no emotional resonance with the source material.  I don't have any frontier valks other than a 30th edition yf-29 (Roy paint schemes will always be my wallets kryptonite).  I don't have any of the hero valks from 7.  I am only getting a Drakken and 1 vf-31 from delta.  And if I hadn't gotten them I would not be sad.  Your collection should make you happy, there is nothing wrong with focusing on the series you actually like.  I do it, and I'm sure other collectors here do it too.

Collecting toys is like collecting anything; Its worth what you're willing to pay. Ive over paid for stuff, Ive under paid for stuff. It works out, and its all me spending a boatload of money on small plastic and metal things. 

But I love it. Im 37 and love toys. They are on my desk being played wth or on the shelf and admired. I actually sold some macross stuff recently and had enough for a PS4. Bought Transformers instead. 

But if you dont like the shows, then dont watch. But also dont comment on them because it drags others down. i never ge tthat; If you dont like a thing, sure, say so if its appropriate. But going on and on abut how you dont like it? Whats the point? 

15 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

It is "unaffordable" when that 300 dollars has to go to either groceries or medications; some of us don't have the luxury of that kind of "disposable income". As for cameras and watches, the Easyshare digicam I have works fine, as does the 10 dollar watch I got several years ago. Not everything has to cost a mint to work or be appreciated, and I do think there's a kind of conceit where brand and cost take precedent over function.

As to the OP:

I believe I understand where you're coming from on this: it would seem that the hobby has become so expensive that just trying to get something of a decent quality and representation in the series is becoming more "out of reach", while quality control seems to be an issue. This is largely why I resorted to buying a secondhand model from 30 years ago at a thrift store: the kind of money to be spent on a collectible cannot be justified in many households.

(My replies from here on out are in general to replies on this board)

That said, for someone to say ""if you want it, you'll find a way" comes across as a bit shallow and out of touch. So does the comment "then you must not like Macross then", as those things denote a sense of elitism and really in of themselves "give the bird" to folks who do like the various series but are already struggling with finances. An example is that I love Star Trek, but I am not able to put out 150 dollars or more for the 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise. Does that mean that I "must not like Star Trek"? No, and that's an unfair characterization of anyone who has an interest in a particular genre or topic. I was never able to buy the Moebius TOS Galactica, but instead reworked the Monogram version from the 80's. That doesn't make me any less of a fan of TOS BSG; it simply meant that I found a way to make masking tape, glue and plastic work to create the replica I wanted.

Yes, the replicas now are indeed far more complex than their predecessors; that said, for those prices, the quality of the plastic and the manufacturing needs to come up. And if that is going to cost more money, then what exactly are we paying for in the first place? A complex replica that falls apart when stress is placed on a part? That's akin to building an advanced nuclear submarine, then using tinfoil for the hull and installing screen doors "as a safety measure". C'mon, what do you really think? If the replica is supposed to be that "high-end", then do what you're charging the money for and get it right to start with. A wing joint should not be busting apart just because it was moved as it was designed (this is Macross, not Iran trying to design a fighter for crying out loud!!). And if the quality is not going to be that great, then why the high price? It's not just complexity that is being paid for here: if I want complexity, I can simply write HTML or CSS on a piece of paper for free. There: instant complexity and it didn't cost me a dime.

Onto another point (I know these are out of order, but unless the "Composition Police" pull me over, to blazes with it!!!), I think in the later series, some of the music and it's place has become a bit exaggerated and a bit inane. Sure, I liked DYRL, M@2,M+ and M7, and I liked much of the music. But an integral part of the story has always been the struggle, whether between cultures or between fighters. M+ had several one-on-one battles (in and out of mech) between two former friends over an incident in the past, and M2 was Ingues trying to turn Earth into a smear with his fleet. So I think Macross for all of us has different elements that we appreciate. But nowhere do I see the "Robotech Vs. Macross" debate coming in. I tend to think that accusation is often used (and overly so) when a difference of opinion is expressed on what the original show was about.

So, with all of that stated (putting on my asbestos suit now and strapping on multiple layers of reactive/ ablative armor for the potential incoming combos of verbal Itano Circii, Beam Cannons, overtechnology super-dimension-energy cannon and possible Minmei Attack salvos. :p ): I sympathize with you greatly, Slaginpit. I understand the frustration you surely feel, and the anger at having something you treasure break on you. I also understand the frustration of trying to follow the series and seeing it move in a direction that was not what got you interested in Macross in the first place. I think a kind of fatigue can set in from all of that, and I wish I had better answers and a potential solution for you.

Best post in this thread. I agree wholeheartedly. I would also add another point. You have to consider the cost of these toys are increasing faster than wages. I myself am feeling the crunch now and know that it's only a matter of time before i'm not going to be able to get everything i want anymore. And i do pretty well for myself wage wise. Actually i already felt this with the new garland release. Way too much for me to consider getting. Maybe if i cut back on the other stuff i get. I worry about the future of this hobby. The way prices are going we only have a few years before stuff starts costing north of $500. Company strategies will have to change when we get to this point. You won't being seeing every valk variant at those price points. Companies will only sell the proven sellers. Which will leave us as consumers with less variety.

Funny how some collectors have taken my criticism in the wrong way. Even calling it a meltdown. And the case is not at all.

Its a more of a comment of what people are willing to accept. I just made a comment on another thread about the latest and newest of valks with broken parts. Essentially castrating them from the whole "Transforming" Concept. I think first off, stop making them so dam "busy" might be a start. And as I also stated, complexity should not be an issue when MP Starscream, one of the more complex of jet Transforming mecha has no issues. Even 3rd party cone jets such as Toyworlds and even KOs like KBB have no issues

Paying 300 dollars for Collectables for Mid to high end collecting toys that break is just plain ridiculous. If I peruse  the for sale thread there are a lot of valks there. Which means there is a lot of turnover on this birds. I know some it may be collector attrition but I think its pricing fatigue and just the many QCs even in 2017. Of all the transforming toys it seems Macross is the dodge of transforming toys.

All of my Movie Prime Toys have never broken and that badboy is a rubiks cube of transformers

Edited by slaginpit

As far as the breakage point goes, I would disagree with you on that.  Yamato/Arcadia have always to me existed between toy and pre-painted kit.  I have a friend who collects MP Transformers, and those are not as detailed or delicate a design as any Macross valk.  I get being upset with high end toys that break, and the tolerances can be crazy tight on the joints, but we are all hard to please.  We want joints that stay tight, hold poses but are not hard to move.  We don't want those joints to interfere with the line art accurate representation of our toys.  We want tabs that hold everything together, but we don't want to see them or have them ruin the look of the toy.  To maintain the elegance of the valk while still having to provide three different forms that all need to be line art accurate is a quantum leap of engineering beyond any Transformer.  The engineering and design of MP Starscream isn't even comparable to a vf-1 v2 valk, much less the more complicated later valks.  Sorry, but I can't get on board with your argument here.  You should be comparing chunky monkeys to MP transformers as far as complexity goes, and chunky monkeys are even more resilient than the MPTs.  

As to what people are willing to acceptt, line art accuracy seems to be the biggest critique in the Macross collecting realm, and that means delicate toys that look amazing vs chunky toys that can take a beating.  If you are comparing Macross toys to Transformers then you really don't appreciate the engineering that has been pulled off in these toys.  I argue that elevates macross toys to a work of art, as opposed to a toy that are meant to hold up to being played with by children.  A very bad comparison.  With that complexity comes QC issues, and yeah that sucks that QC issues happen, but on such a complex toy just assembling it and transforming it into the form that comes packaged might induce a small break that would be hard to find.  Reality can be a B sometimes, thems the breaks.

Macross are the Ferrari of Transforming toys, the highest quality and engineering and also requires kid gloves and being ultra careful when enjoying them. 

On 4/23/2017 at 11:21 PM, spanner said:

I can agree with what KB said. I love the toys and I love the series. Even as wishy washy as Delta was, its still Macross and I still love it!

I can't think of any toys that I have ever bought over the course of my life including model cars, figures, rc cars, planes, boats, bike, tanks bla bla bla that has not had breakages and as much as some Valkyrie's been known to have that problem and being quite expensive its a thing and a risk I accept. Nothing is ever been nor will ever be perfect anyways. I am far more worried about buying a brand new car and having a $50-100K lemon than a $250 toy with something fall off or a detail not correct to the anime..

Macross is something I have dearly loved since day 1 and im not going to stop collecting the toys because one of two have a leg or something that falls off. Yeah they are expensive but that adds to the charm and besides its only money and more will always come around.

I loved Macross going back to when i was.....7 or 8 and Robotech first aired.  But I have a confession to make.  I HATE recent Macross. Like, really hate to where I think the overall franchise is pretty much garbage now and I don't see it getting any better with Kawamori and Satelight around.  But you know what? I still love the mecha, and I still buy the toys!

I don't nearly have as much as some of you guys do, but I am starting to pile up and stopping collecting is not an option. Instead i'm looking for a bigger place!

18 hours ago, slaginpit said:

Paying 300 dollars for Collectables for Mid to high end collecting toys that break is just plain ridiculous. If I peruse  the for sale thread there are a lot of valks there. Which means there is a lot of turnover on this birds. I know some it may be collector attrition but I think its pricing fatigue and just the many QCs even in 2017. Of all the transforming toys it seems Macross is the dodge of transforming toys.

Im not so sure about that.  Macrossworld isn't even the tip of what is available out there.  Even if you added up all the valkyries ever for sale on MW, ebay, madarake, jungle, yja, etc etc. I don't even think it would be enough to say "there are a lot of turnover on these birds". Thousands of each release are produced. Thousands. 

Although I understand  your point of being angry that 300 dollar collectibles break. Valkyries have always required a lot of "anime magic" to make them work, and unless you simplify the design down to chunky monkey tier, it's going to be extremely fiddly to make it look like the anime.  All of that means lots of parts, lots of small moving parts, lots of engineering required, and trying to keep materials cost down to stay in a certain MSRP area - all of which is not a good combination for durability. Expensive, fragile shouldn't come together in our minds.   

People point to transformers as an example of "what about this, then?" but transformers have a MUCH larger market, the companies involved are larger (larger than yamato/arcadia anyways, not so for Bandai of course) and have more resources, and there's more volume and probably more margin as well. 

Edited by Cowboy17

If better minds were in charge, and better decisions made 30+ years ago we wouldnt even be having this conversation. We'd have just as much "reasonably" priced Macross product as the Gundam and Transformers franchises do today. In lieu of that though, I find being a Macross fan more special. Outsiders to anime and toy collecting see my valks and automatically want to know more about their background.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

23 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I think the only reasonable course of action would be to take all of the collectables you own, put them in a big pile and just burn them in protest of the system.

:rofl:

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

As long that I'm happy with my purchase, it's all worth it.

:drinks:cheers to that mate, cheers to that.

Looks like MW forum is having a class war. I can feel for those who are being forced out by the pricing. I've been a Marcos's fan since the 80. When the news of 1/48 VF-1 comes out, all the fans were thrilling and drooling. And more importantly it was not that expensive and hard to get one. There wasn't any crazy pricing and crazy hours for pre-ordering. Everyone gets their pie then. The good old days. 

Some where along toward the demise of Yamato and step in from Arcadia, the pricing starts to go crazy, go way beyond 20000 yen a piece. While no one know the actual reason of the exponential price hike, there is always ones who thinks the hike is the result of those who keep paying regardless the price, just like Sydney properties market, if you live in Australia. There's also a sense of betrayal as they are part of those who supported Yamato's humble beginning in Macross journey only to be kept out of reach now. 

Luckily, Bandai steps in to fill the gap (15000 to 25000 yen). The only problem is it hard to get and that pushes the price up. For the quality and engineering efforts required by the toys, I don't think it is possible to go below 15000 yen but I don't think it worth more than 25000 yen either. 

For those who still think it is too expensive, there is or will be bootleg. I haven't actually seen one. I have a bootleg Ramjet and a Thrust masterpiece. The bootleg uses slightly more elastic type of plastic in those masterpieces, but it actually enhances the playability and durability. They cost half the price of the original . So, who knows, if the VF-1 bootleg follows the same route, it could be good for those who have limited disposable income. 

As a Macross fan, I hope anyone that loves Macross can have at least one of their favorite toy regardless of their income.

Happy collecting! 

its not really a class war. the op apparently has made threads like this before. These things are expensive for a reason, though. He does make a good point about them being fragile and we don't expect expensive things to have these problems, hell i even made posts like that about yamatos and arcadias as well but as some others have pointed out its been 3 threads now that's he's created like this.  Im not sure why, unless he just wants to either be validated by the community or to intentionally create a flame war

1 hour ago, Firefox said:

Looks like MW forum is having a class war. I can feel for those who are being forced out by the pricing. I've been a Marcos's fan since the 80. When the news of 1/48 VF-1 comes out, all the fans were thrilling and drooling. And more importantly it was not that expensive and hard to get one. There wasn't any crazy pricing and crazy hours for pre-ordering. Everyone gets their pie then. The good old days. 

Some where along toward the demise of Yamato and step in from Arcadia, the pricing starts to go crazy, go way beyond 20000 yen a piece. While no one know the actual reason of the exponential price hike, there is always ones who thinks the hike is the result of those who keep paying regardless the price, just like Sydney properties market, if you live in Australia. There's also a sense of betrayal as they are part of those who supported Yamato's humble beginning in Macross journey only to be kept out of reach now. 

Luckily, Bandai steps in to fill the gap (15000 to 25000 yen). The only problem is it hard to get and that pushes the price up. For the quality and engineering efforts required by the toys, I don't think it is possible to go below 15000 yen but I don't think it worth more than 25000 yen either. 

For those who still think it is too expensive, there is or will be bootleg. I haven't actually seen one. I have a bootleg Ramjet and a Thrust masterpiece. The bootleg uses slightly more elastic type of plastic in those masterpieces, but it actually enhances the playability and durability. They cost half the price of the original . So, who knows, if the VF-1 bootleg follows the same route, it could be good for those who have limited disposable income. 

As a Macross fan, I hope anyone that loves Macross can have at least one of their favorite toy regardless of their income.

Happy collecting! 

Not only Macross but if you want a decent nostalgia modern release of super robot, the price level go around Y 18000 up. The good old days indeed when it was just half. Speaking of the not HMR Valks by Bandai, they're batsheet expensive and sell out with 30 seconds of solicitation......wtfrack?! :wacko:

2 hours ago, fenrir72 said:

Not only Macross but if you want a decent nostalgia modern release of super robot, the price level go around Y 18000 up. The good old days indeed when it was just half. Speaking of the not HMR Valks by Bandai, they're batsheet expensive and sell out with 30 seconds of solicitation......wtfrack?! :wacko:

Thta's one reason why i decided not to start collecting the HMR line. While they are nice toys, the price is way too high for what they are IMO.

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

A lot of the most expensive, high performance cars, aircraft and many other precision items are more delicate and break easier than cheaper, simpler items. 

How many of those cars come off the assembly line with a busted axle or broken crankshaft? If these are "performance vehicles", and their components are that delicate, how can they withstand "performing" in the areas that they are supposedly designed for? Engines, suspension, steering and the like are not exactly places to be using materials that will fail when they are doing their jobs. As for aircraft, that's true if you're speaking about the F-35 :p But as for other "precision items", while they may "break easier", they should not break when used per the directions and with proper care; after all, "quality" also extends to the materials and a "reasonable use" of the item. Just transforming a valk or moving the arm or wing should not cause structural failure. And I think that's one point here: the items in question (for their price) should not be having these issues. That's not precision; but rather shoddy materials. And this on items that are already at a premium? Seriously?

Unless of course, it's Russia or Japan making nuclear reactors. In that case, just looking at them can cause all sorts of issues...

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Thta's one reason why i decided not to start collecting the HMR line. While they are nice toys, the price is way too high for what they are IMO.

Right; there comes a point where the "niceness" of an item has to justify its' cost. And I think some of us out here not only have a hard time with that, but there's also really no viable alternative that I know of (unless I missed something, which happens occasionally). But that leads me to this:

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Whether something is worth it is always going to be a highly subjective question and vary from person to person.

That is true, depending upon one's finances, tastes and whatnot. I just maintain that it doesn't make them any less a fan in the fandom. Admittedly though: I think if I won the lottery, I'd be tempted to buy a ton of valks and maybe a few battle fortresses to boot! :D

Lol! Point is...well, it doesn't matter what my point was. I guess I'm just lucky to have missed all the Valks that broke right out the box. I seem to also have good luck with toys known to break easily. MP Megatron is the first toy I've bought in as long as I can remember that frightens me though. It's the first transforming toy I've ever bought that I didn't immediately transform after opening and I'm still hesitant to because of all the paint that scuffed just by posing it a bit. Still think it was worth it though. 

11 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Lol! Point is...well, it doesn't matter what my point was. I guess I'm just lucky to have missed all the Valks that broke right out the box. I seem to also have good luck with toys known to break easily. MP Megatron is the first toy I've bought in as long as I can remember that frightens me though. It's the first transforming toy I've ever bought that I didn't immediately transform after opening and I'm still hesitant to because of all the paint that scuffed just by posing it a bit. Still think it was worth it though. 

I havethe original MP Megs (MP-05 Iif memory serves); I'm STILL trying to redesign it! lol When I bought it though, it truly ticked me off seeing how  it was "chicken legs" vs MP Prime 01. Not to mention I've had to repair the arms and other parts several times.

I count myself lucky, in 30 years of collecting VF toys, I've never had a VF toy break or have missing parts right out of the box.

Sure I've had VF toys break after owning them for a while, but I've also been comparatively lucky with that I guess and not had too many breakages.

Just going from memory the only breakages I can remember having are:

1. One Tab B on the first release Yamato 1/72 YF-19.
  2. Both Head lasers on a Bandai 1/55 VF-1J Chunky reissue that was crammed loose into a toy box.
  3. One broken hip joint on a Yamato 1/72 VF-11B.
  4. Disintegrating biceps on two or three Yamato 1/60 VF-0A and VF-0S.
  5. Two or three cracked shoulder hinges on Yamato v2 1/60 VF-1s, which is not really many, considering I have 30 or 40 of them.
  6. Cracked black triangles on a Bandai DX 1/60 VF-171 and a 171EX.

So I've never really considered Valk toys to be particularly fragile and I don't handle them too gently.

7 hours ago, Graham said:

I count myself lucky, in 30 years of collecting VF toys, I've never had a VF toy break or have missing parts right out of the box.

Sure I've had VF toys break after owning them for a while, but I've also been comparatively lucky with that I guess and not had too many breakages.

Just going from memory the only breakages I can remember having are:

1. One Tab B on the first release Yamato 1/72 YF-19.
  2. Both Head lasers on a Bandai 1/55 VF-1J Chunky reissue that was crammed loose into a toy box.
  3. One broken hip joint on a Yamato 1/72 VF-11B.
  4. Disintegrating biceps on two or three Yamato 1/60 VF-0A and VF-0S.
  5. Two or three cracked shoulder hinges on Yamato v2 1/60 VF-1s, which is not really many, considering I have 30 or 40 of them.
  6. Cracked black triangles on a Bandai DX 1/60 VF-171 and a 171EX.

So I've never really considered Valk toys to be particularly fragile and I don't handle them too gently.

You have a 171EX with a broken triangle? I  haven't heard of that happening to a non cf 171.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, jvmacross said:

At some point you just have to move on....:sad:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/40391-have-macross-become-out-of-reach-for-collectors/

But yeah, Macross is still totally worth it for many....probably also worth it to many that don't feel compelled to drop a single penny into the franchise too!:friends:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/38871-macross-collectibles-market-watch-current-auctionstore-sold-prices/

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/40095-your-most-recent-macross-or-toy-purchase-general-thread/

So, these sound like the exact same threads, just complained at differently. Only you can answer your own question. Asking people to answer your own dilemma is a moot point. If I say no, but twice already, you're saying for you it is, well, then for you it is. It does sound like you probably should move one from it all, if it's not fun anymore. If you're looking for someone to try and keep you from that feeling, that's not really going to work either. Stay in it for you, or don't. Either way, the franchise will still be here.

I'm kinda in the opposite space in that feeling burnt out on the third party Transformers. Expensive beautiful figures that are often not well tested and can be prone to break. I've quite a few expensive recent third party purchases which I know I'm better off not transforming because even reviewers who really know what they are doing are getting breaks and stress marks. With the Arcadia and Bandai stuff I have a reasonable expectation that they've been somewhat extensively tested (the VF-0 leg issues aside). With the third party stuff, companies appear and disappear. You can spend $600 collecting a combiner only to have it not be able to stand up straight (none of the Dinobot combiners were all that great in combined mode, but you'd already sunk hundreds of dollars into them before you learned that lesson). There is also the "later is better" - so if you had invested in one combiner team early on, you're faced a few years later with another manufacturer doing the same team but with better techniques. So for a while I'm holding off on 3rd party TFs. I've kinda got most characters I want anyway and I'll spend more time and money on Macross stuff. I'll probably burn out eventually on that, but at the moment each pre-order day is kinda exciting and I'm enjoying the thrill of the chase and the catch. 

Is it worth it ?

Absolutely!, the jets designs and how they transforms I think are always the pinnacle of what Macross is about, still adding also an iconic character name for example Roy or Hikaru as the pilot it adds even more value and makes it more special to have.  I think theres no one besides Macross figures that can portray how beautiful / fearsome this figures can look in fighter form, gerwalk and Battroid modes, the designs and colors are really something special, last week I got the VF-31F Messer and looking into it just something to behold, the detail, the color, is really that impressive.  :)

Probably the only thing that annoys me is that the production of Macross figures are so limited, if you can't grab one at released date and if you want it later so be prepared to pay some extra money, I wish the Macross brand opened up a bit so everyone can experience this awesome figures.

2 hours ago, Alex GS said:

Probably the only thing that annoys me is that the production of Macross figures are so limited, if you can't grab one at released date and if you want it later so be prepared to pay some extra money, I wish the Macross brand opened up a bit so everyone can experience this awesome figures.

When i first started this hobby, there was no preorder madness. I virtually never bought anything on release day. I always bought when i was ready to buy. I usually just looked for deals and worked the new stuff around the deals. Now however i'm getting everything as a preorder to avoid paying higher later or missing out entirely which leads me to missing out of deals. I miss the old days. 

Edited by Sandman

13 hours ago, Sandman said:

I miss the old days. 

Ditto.

I've only bought 2 valks since Yamato's demise and have pretty much switched to throwing my money at Hot Toys' Iron Man line. Frankly, its a combination of franchise fatigue and crazy prices. MacPlus is honestly the only macross (mini)series i really liked anyway, which was the only reason i put down almost 300 usd for a vf-29 isamu custom.

As for the queston of whether its worth it...only if i really like the anime itself. 

Edited by GU-11