sh9000

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I doubt that's the case. Disney rarely if ever admit making a wrong decision; it's more likely they're just going to not touch this at all anymore, consequences be damned. They'd rather garner some (relatively minor, in the grand scheme of things) ill will than admit being wrong - or worse, admit being duped by anyone, including and especially Neo-Nazis.

But on the subject of the original outrage, I'd like to point out that said outrage has pretty much died completely down now. I don't hear a peep from the supposedly offended mob of people about this anymore, whereas the demand that he be rehired was going and continues to go strong. So... it's not very hard to see which "side" was being disingenuous, which outrage was borne of actual outrage and not a desire to enact proxy political warfare.

Well, I think we can all agree that what Sideshow Bob and his cohorts won't do is take this kind of public relations risk.  Just remember what they did when that poor kid in Disney World got drowned by the alligator, or to the fat person on ABC.  They took action immediately and pretty much stayed the course and let things die down.   They figured there are two options here, either be loved by everyone or be hated by everyone.  That way, you are never ever stuck on just one side if things went sideways.  It's a good business move.

Ugh. I vote for this thread to be locked until we get some news on actual GG3 movie developments.

Gunn certainly was given a teaching moment, and it should serve as a reminder to anyone else who thinks they are “higher-than” their neighbor. Today’s very public internet age can quickly turn moral idignation into foolish idiocracy, especially if one starts kicking the dust of controversy without first taking care of their own house.

I think we can all agree that Gunn’s twitter arguments backfired and hurt his career. It’s been discussed well enough in this thread already. I don’t think we need to see what dress-up fetishes he and other consenting adults find entertaining. That has little to do with GG3 and is just pushing the political discussion.

Edited by technoblue

From what little bit of googling I did: The ones to "report" this picture were The Daily Caller (the credibility of which is up to you to decide, I think it's fairly obvious that I think they're bunk), followed by everyone's lovably hateable conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. I see a "Bounding Into Comics" article on it as well, the slant of the writing of which renders me even more suspect. Looking up the author and the site, those suspicions were confirmed. (Apparently BIC as a whole is a haven for disenfranchised white men and/or internet trolls looking to coordinate abuse campaigns, as per this Daily Beast profile on a seemingly unrelated individual: https://www.thedailybeast.com/comicsgate-how-an-anti-diversity-harassment-campaign-in-comics-got-uglyand-profitable .)

But really, the important thing is that the "context" they're providing isn't anywhere near full, and so I find myself unable to take it at face value. For instance, they don't get or even ask for a response from him, nor do they source or date the pictures or otherwise provide any context for it aside from being from a "To Catch a Predator-themed party."

Your own statement that the surfacing of this image has "shut down most of his defenders" is also disingenuous, as it merely reiterates the same things those articles have said, and without the supposed evidence to back it up. (That evidence being a tweet renouncing support/defense of James Gunn from, of all people, one Ian Miles Cheong, himself apparently a known internet troll and a writer at the Daily Caller - probably the one who "broke" the "story." I'm learning a lot today.)

I still don't know what tweets he wrote. I'm assuming these pictures are from that same time period, maybe even attached to those same tweets. Do I see anyone defending the tweets? No, I think everyone who hears about them roundly excoriates them. I do see lots of people defending him, though, partly because of the contrition he has evidenced in the time since those tweets and partly because it has become abundantly clear that this has less to do with any sincere concerns about pedophilia/racism/whatever those tweets are about and more to do with a desire to "punish" him for his outspoken political rhetoric. Again, proxy political warfare.

4 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Ugh. I vote that this thread should be locked until we get some news on actual GG3 movie developments.

I think we can all agree that Gunn’s twitter arguments backfired and hurt his career. It’s been discussed well enough in this thread already. I don’t think we need to see what dress-up fetishes he and other consenting adults find entertaining. That has little to do with GG3 and is just pushing the political discussion.

+1

Edited by kajnrig

• azrael locked this topic
  • 1 month later...

Sad to see Gunn fired. Disney is hypocritical with the PC and SJW nonsense.  If they cared so much about their image they never should have hired RDJ.  Massive double standards.  As for the new director it might be promising, enjoyed Thor Ragnarok. Read but did not verify Gunn's script is being used.  Can someone confirm?  And what about Bautista stating he'd leave if Gunn does not return?  Is recasting needed?

On 9/20/2018 at 2:07 AM, zard said:

Sad to see Gunn fired. Disney is hypocritical with the PC and SJW nonsense.  If they cared so much about their image they never should have hired RDJ.  Massive double standards.  As for the new director it might be promising, enjoyed Thor Ragnarok. Read but did not verify Gunn's script is being used.  Can someone confirm?  And what about Bautista stating he'd leave if Gunn does not return?  Is recasting needed?

RDJ was hired by Marvel before Disney took over.

17 hours ago, eXis10z said:

RDJ was hired by Marvel before Disney took over.

And yet Disney did not ride their high horse and fire him. After Disney took over Marvel it could've easily ousted RDJ if they were trying to hold the moral high ground, but they did not because RDJ was minting money for them.

3 hours ago, zard said:

And yet Disney did not ride their high horse and fire him. After Disney took over Marvel it could've easily ousted RDJ if they were trying to hold the moral high ground, but they did not because RDJ was minting money for them.

Perhaps to them a history of substance abuse wasn't as serious as a history of making pedophilia jokes.  :unknw:

22 hours ago, eXis10z said:

Perhaps to them a history of substance abuse wasn't as serious as a history of making pedophilia jokes.  :unknw:

Yeah, someone actually taking a hold of their life and turning themselves around is not something to be derided for. RDJ has a bad history of substance abuse and that's pretty much it, with a stresser on history. His history. What he did in the past mainly hurt himself and so I consider that a personal issue that no one else has the right to comment on.

• 5 months later...

Saw this earlier, damn good news, he gets to finish his trilogy! I also read production will begin after he finishes up Suicide Squad 2, he gets to play both sides of the field, Marvel and DC, awesome stuff. From what I read Disney made this decision quite a while ago too, it just couldn't be made official and couldn't be reported on until now. Who would've thought, Disney made a stupid knee-jerk decision, were rightfully derided for it, now realized money is good and they are bringing him back.

Wasn’t Gunn also in charge of the “galactic” marvel universe (space-based story arcs)?

I think he was dropped from that too, unless it was never fully confirmed he was even on board for them. Who knows at this point. I wonder if Warner/DC is going to try to lock him down for more projects now that Disney/Marvel is willing to play ball again.

A renewed outcry is likely... I wonder if Disney will let themselves be so easily moved again, or if they'll push back this time and risk some public relations damage.

Good. I like the energy and fun he put into the previous movies.

This and only this.

It's hard to keep from injecting my .02 into the other side of the debate, but the bottom line is he is a huge-gigantic-integral part of what makes GoTG so damn good. 

-b.

I think he was dropped from that too, unless it was never fully confirmed he was even on board for them. Who knows at this point. I wonder if Warner/DC is going to try to lock him down for more projects now that Disney/Marvel is willing to play ball again.

I guess that depends on what he wants to do next. He’s probably going to do Suicide Squad 2 after this flick. After that, he may want to take a break and do something non-comic book related. Which studio that falls to is anyone’s guess. 

I guess that depends on what he wants to do next. He’s probably going to do Suicide Squad 2 after this flick. After that, he may want to take a break and do something non-comic book related. Which studio that falls to is anyone’s guess. 

The article says he’s going to do SS2 first:

”Marvel Studios has agreed to commence production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after Gunn completes Suicide Squad 2.”

This and only this.

It's hard to keep from injecting my .02 into the other side of the debate, but the bottom line is he is a huge-gigantic-integral part of what makes GoTG so damn good. 

-b.

Yeah.  I liked the first two GotG movies, I'll watch the third, and I'll evaluate it as a film separately from what I think of Gunn as a human.

Good. I like the energy and fun he put into the previous movies.

The question is, Can He? He took a hella lot of PR damage for what? picks that R Kelly would think of as 'weak AF [no Golden Flow? Hell no!]'? Just because "he's back" doesn't mean he'll be back in form. Will a large dose of humble pie make for the same emotional impulse that made the first pair of films a success? Wait & See.

Whatever they will do in the third movie they absolutely have to put a scene, even the usual post credit scene, where Rocket sings Shallow on a piano. Please, please, please, it would be so hilarious.

I'm still waiting on an "outtake" from Thor Ragnarok, where Thor's sitting mopey in his prison cell, singing "If I had a Hammer." :lol: 

• 1 month later...