Calibre Wings 1/72 F-14D Diecast Macross Custom

seti88

Does anyone know if there is a special way of closing the canopy?  I just received my F14 Shin and the canopy doesn't close all the way after pressing down.  Mine also came with a tire brake that was broken into two pieces.  Not a big deal I guess, but it is kind of a bummer.  I think the clamshell could have been designed better.  When I opened it, everything inside was all over the place.

PXL_20201005_201126307.thumb.jpg.765fb68736b81e5b7342100b4eb95f88.jpg

22 hours ago, sumyumgoy said:

Does anyone know if there is a special way of closing the canopy?  I just received my F14 Shin and the canopy doesn't close all the way after pressing down.  Mine also came with a tire brake that was broken into two pieces.  Not a big deal I guess, but it is kind of a bummer.  I think the clamshell could have been designed better.  When I opened it, everything inside was all over the place.

PXL_20201005_201126307.thumb.jpg.765fb68736b81e5b7342100b4eb95f88.jpg

It looks like the canopy may not be in all the way. Try this:

1) open the canopy

2) then place a long, slender, rigid  tool  under the rear plate/hinge...the part that covers the area behind the rear seat and press down on the back edge of the canopy. This prevents the hinge plate from moving and will help ensure the rear peg inserts all the way into the hinge. I had to do this on my VF-1 Wolfpack release. Just pressing hard on the canopy when it’s closed won’t do it as the frame will hit the fuselage and the hinge has a little “give” to it...hence using the rod  to prevent it from moving.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Thanks for your help @Dobber!  Flying Mule mentioned something about this and said that there is a video showing the method but I haven't had much luck finding it and waiting on them to see if they can find it on their end.  I tried the method but I am not sure that I am doing it right.  I took a couple shots with a paint stirrer inserted under canopy.  I tried both orientations and then pushing down on the rear part of the canopy but it didn't seem to change anything.  

PXL_20201006_192752031.jpg

PXL_20201006_192811257.jpg

3 hours ago, sumyumgoy said:

Thanks for your help @Dobber!  Flying Mule mentioned something about this and said that there is a video showing the method but I haven't had much luck finding it and waiting on them to see if they can find it on their end.  I tried the method but I am not sure that I am doing it right.  I took a couple shots with a paint stirrer inserted under canopy.  I tried both orientations and then pushing down on the rear part of the canopy but it didn't seem to change anything.  

PXL_20201006_192752031.jpg

PXL_20201006_192811257.jpg

The first one looks basically what I did. Sorry it didn’t help. Maybe try to lower the canopy a little, with the stirrer in like the first picture and then try pushing the canopy on more, just in case the fuselage was blocking the canopy.  If you can get some tweezers or something to grab the hinge plate to hold it steady and then gently wiggle and apply force up to remove the canopy from the the plate you can check to see if there is any extra material on the peg. Then put it back on as described and see if it goes on anymore. Only thing I can think of. Totally stinks that it 8s happening, I can truly empathize.

Chris 

Edited by Dobber

Thanks again @Dobber.  I was finally able to remove the canopy (using jenius' wiggle jiggle technique) and reinstall but it looks like the problem still persists.  I did inspect for any material that might be preventing it from closing but didn't notice anything.  I'm going to try and see if a replacement is possible but, yea, it is a bit disappointing. Just in case anyone needs it, Flying Mule was able to find the instructions for replacing the canopy.

Calibre_Canopy_Replacement.thumb.jpg.2adcd6acb648e9d454ff829cbd22cbc5.jpg

I also put some photos of the removed canopy below.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRfFkAN

Edited by sumyumgoy

• 4 weeks later...
  • azrael locked this topic