Calibre Wings 1/72 F-14D Diecast Macross Custom

seti88

It has improved instructions and mine feels great. No smudgy wings and no rattle where the two pieces of metal come together. I haven't had to glue anything back together yet either... though I haven't applied the ordinance yet.

wow haven't ever checked this thread before.  these things look beautiful.  also makes me wonder what a valkyrie would look like if it had tailplanes (i always wondered why they lacked them to be honest).  also makes me wonder what a valkyrie would look like if it strictly adhered to the shape of f-14 as opposed to sort of being inspired by it and then doing its own thing.

13 hours ago, jenius said:

inspired me to look at mine. 29/300. I wonder why it's Macross instead of Robotech on the front?

My guess is that if the SDCC version quickly sells out, Calibre Wings can do a 2nd run under the Robotech brand. Also, Harmony Gold needs to maintain the "SDF Macross" trademark in commerce, so they probably require that their toy licensees occassionally release "SDF Macross" products when possible. So this lets Calibre Wings kill two birds with one stone.

I have the jolly rogers f-14 & Roy's f-14S. The jolly Roger one is nice but the parts fitment is a real let down. Not a fan of the flightpose style stand either. On the other hand, Roy's 14 is a work of art. Everything fits really well and the finish is excellent. So is the stand with it's pivot function. I really hope they do a zero/shin version in the future.

I love the way they've executed the schemes on these, but I actually kind of hate the way they tried to "adapt" the ordinance paint schemes.  Like.. I get what they were going for.. but it just doesn't look good.  The RMS repaint of the phoenixes on Roy's and Hikaru's looked a bit better, but I still think standard ordnance looks best.  These just remind me of the missiles you'd get on GI Joe and Flying Fighters aircraft toys. :p 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry about the thread resurrection, but I recently got into 1/72 diecast aircraft and bought the Calibre Wings F-14 D Type.

For those of you that also own one of these or a variant, I wanted to ask if you've tried leaving it on the included stand for extended periods of time (e.g. months) and if so, were there any issues? While it does seem sturdy enough, and the part of the tail the stand attaches to is metal, I'm just concerned that over time something might warp or bend because of how the weight is being distributed while on the stand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 6:27 AM, ArchieNov said:

Sorry about the thread resurrection, but I recently got into 1/72 diecast aircraft and bought the Calibre Wings F-14 D Type.

For those of you that also own one of these or a variant, I wanted to ask if you've tried leaving it on the included stand for extended periods of time (e.g. months) and if so, were there any issues? While it does seem sturdy enough, and the part of the tail the stand attaches to is metal, I'm just concerned that over time something might warp or bend because of how the weight is being distributed while on the stand.

Late reply, but I believe I mentioned this before, possibly in another thread.

I actually do not trust those stands that clip over the speedbrake area, because, unless Calibre has changed their manufacturing, that entire section of the plane is not metal.  That whole section of the fuselage between the exhausts is plastic on the ones I have, so they can more accurately mold the airbrake mechanism.

Those stands were designed to mount diecast F-14s long ago, and were always meant to be used on ones that have solid metal fuselages.  I do not trust the Calibre Wings releases on these stands, because they use so many plastic parts, and they don't provide any support near the center of mass of the aircraft.

Thanks for the reply @Chronocidal

Yes, I did get to read your previous comments about the stand so I know you weren't using them long term. But I think it's only the airbrakes themselves that are plastic in that area. The actual tail section feels like metal to me, so I'm a little more confident about its rigidity. But I really don't know if it will stand the test of time. I did see some other people talk about the stand itself (which is the same design as the Witty stand) breaking at the screw mounts over a long time, but I'm not sure if there were other factors involved there aside from just the weight of the plane.

In any case, are there other any stands you can recommend for the F-14? I don't really like the flightpose type stands.

• 5 months later...

I don't quite see the point in putting the F-15's unique and distinct camo pattern, on the F-14.  (I mean, it is pretty darn near exactly the Compass Ghost pattern, even has the "inner tailfins have the dark/light pattern swapped compared to the outer tailfins" thing) 

f-15_cgg-jpg.567663

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

I don't quite see the point in putting the F-15's unique and distinct camo pattern, on the F-14.  (I mean, it is pretty darn near exactly the Compass Ghost pattern, even has the "inner tailfins have the dark/light pattern swapped compared to the outer tailfins" thing) 

f-15_cgg-jpg.567663

Is "because it's a good looking scheme" a good answer?

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Is "because it's a good looking scheme" a good answer?

Lol, I was thinking the same. It’s not like paint schemes are patented for use on only one model. In fact, there are plenty of schemes used on a variety of planes. 

56 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

I think it's more "they were too lazy/uncreative to come up with their own scheme, so they just copied "the next plane over's"

Actually,  it seems to be just a simple color change from their what-if blue on blue camo JASDF F-14.

I’m pretty sure they just  used the pattern they used on their Japanese Monacat but used greys instead of blues. 

6F697E04-CAA4-4FDC-BCC0-ED5C56CCB41C.jpeg.472d127d74c455205d90911b22f2fb7f.jpeg

Chris

• 1 month later...