SDF Macross Extended English Language Pilot Online!

"10 Years later super space fortress Macross would rise- guardian of you and of me!" This still is more Robotech reminiscent, I like the 2006 ADV english dub better- but still interesting to see what their original intent was.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Aside from the theme song being rather terrible, and the plot having some amusing nonsense (why would aliens coincidentally name an enemy ship with an acronym based on English? :P), I really never have minded the original English dub voices they used.  It's nice seeing it with the original music and sound effects as well.

I managed to grow up having never seen the original though (no cable, wrong years, etc.), and don't really have any nostalgia for it, so most of my memories of actual SDFM are in Japanese to begin with.

1 hour ago, Loop said:

Damn, I clicked the link and then the HG logo popped up. I felt instantly repulsed and decided not to waste precious bandwidth on it.

That's too bad because you're missing out on very rare and little seen piece of Macross history..

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 8:01 PM, terry the lone wolf said:

That's too bad because you're missing out on very rare and little seen piece of Macross history..

But it's not Macross history or else it would have been released for one of the many anniversaries.  It's a HG production, not worth my time.

On 4/30/2017 at 4:05 AM, Zinjo said:

But it's not Macross history or else it would have been released for one of the many anniversaries.  It's a HG production, not worth my time.

Macross history in America.. One of the first times an English adaption was created for an Western audience.. Yeah it's pre-Robotech but..

• 2 weeks later...

I found it an interesting look at an attempted adaptation of the source material.

Thanks Terry.

On 5/1/2017 at 6:32 PM, terry the lone wolf said:

Macross history in America.. One of the first times an English adaption was created for an Western audience.. Yeah it's pre-Robotech but..

Also that franchise's slow descent to what could be considered cultural appropriation?

• 2 weeks later...

Was browsing Amazon when I saw this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J73KOCY/ref=sxr_rr_k2msim_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3008513142&pd_rd_wg=RBDEN&pf_rd_r=0Y3V76NA3AM2506MF6X6&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01J73KOCY&pd_rd_w=LjWHj&pf_rd_i=gundam&pd_rd_r=S3ZGZ431Y131W7AWMDJ1&ie=UTF8&qid=1495733668&sr=1

SDF Macross with English subs on Amazon Video! Too bad I can't access it due to geographical limitations, but wasn't it that Macross couldn't be shown in the US cos of HG...

Mospeada and Southern cross also available with subs. 

2 hours ago, the_foul_fowl said:

SDF Macross with English subs on Amazon Video! Too bad I can't access it due to geographical limitations, but wasn't it that Macross couldn't be shown in the US cos of HG...

No, those three shows have been available several times on DVD before. It's the Macross sequels that are affected by the legal trouble. 

On 5/25/2017 at 10:48 AM, the_foul_fowl said:

Was browsing Amazon when I saw this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J73KOCY/ref=sxr_rr_k2msim_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3008513142&pd_rd_wg=RBDEN&pf_rd_r=0Y3V76NA3AM2506MF6X6&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01J73KOCY&pd_rd_w=LjWHj&pf_rd_i=gundam&pd_rd_r=S3ZGZ431Y131W7AWMDJ1&ie=UTF8&qid=1495733668&sr=1

Damn. I came on the forums today to tell everyone about this. I should have expected I'd be beaten by several days... :p

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 6:32 PM, terry the lone wolf said:

Not quite.  There were several that predate it.  The first to come to mind is "Star Blazers" (1979 - 1984) which was the "adapted" (use the term loosely) US version of Space Battle Ship Yamato anime.

1 minute ago, Zinjo said:

Not quite.  There were several that predate it.  The first to come to mind is "Star Blazers" (1979 - 1984) which was the "adapted" (use the term loosely) US version of Space Battle Ship Yamato anime.

I meant one of the first Macross English adaptions not all of Anime..

• 3 months later...
  • azrael locked this topic