3D Model Request - Missile/Ordnance for DX toys

chyll2

On 2/19/2018 at 9:45 AM, Xigfrid said:

@ivorysniper I just finished the ACSWS-1A variant. Both 1:60 DX scale and 1:72 scales are available.

Xigfrid, I must say that those ACSWS became way more interesting once you 3D-modeled them. Great work !!.

27 minutes ago, ivorysniper said:

Xigfrid, I must say that those ACSWS became way more interesting once you 3D-modeled them. Great work !!.

I am on the 1D variant,  and they are very interesting because they are supposed to release 4 missiles near the final target. I would like to modelize that ... brainstorming currently :)

ACSWS are too big to populate the 3 slots on triple pylons. You can still use a triple pylon if you cut the tabs on the left and right sides. The ACSWS-1A are easy to sand too :)

So far my favorite missiles are the TMM 201, they are square really easy to sand down!

I also like the PACSWS because this is very imposing, a bit tricky to sand because they are curved and I am a big fan of the glass for electronic.

03_ACSWS-1A.jpg

03b_ACSWS-1A.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid

23 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

I am on the 1D variant,  and they are very interesting because they are supposed to release 4 missiles near the final target. I would like to modelize that ... brainstorming currently :)

Bring it on !. I've always liked the idea of populating those empty wings with some interesting ordnance. Agree on the attractiveness of the -1D. Its capability to give a fighting chance to the older gen VFs against the latest and greatest is an interesting concept.

Edited by ivorysniper

1 hour ago, ivorysniper said:

Bring it on !. I've always liked the idea of populating those empty wings with some interesting ordnance. Agree on the attractiveness of the -1D. Its capability to give a fighting chance to the older gen VFs against the latest and greatest is an interesting concept.

That tells me that I need to model an "Arcadia compatible" single pylon set for these ACSWS.

I have been looking and looking for a reference picture, and surprisingly if I presume that the mounting points are the same, my conclusions are that the ACSWS-1D will be a bit smaller than what I expected as a 4-Missiles carrier... It would be little shorter than the ACSWS-1A, and about the same size as a PACSWS-2G.

What do you guys think of it ? Should it be a bit larger than the 1A version or smaller as described below ?

size_comp.jpg

1 hour ago, Xigfrid said:

I have been looking and looking for a reference picture, and surprisingly if I presume that the mounting points are the same, my conclusions are that the ACSWS-1D will be a bit smaller than what I expected as a 4-Missiles carrier... It would be little shorter than the ACSWS-1A, and about the same size as a PACSWS-2G.

What do you guys think of it ? Should it be a bit larger than the 1A version or smaller as described below ?

size_comp.jpg

Good point, @Xigfrid . Just my personal opinion: feel free to make them smaller. Loosely based on the description the VFMF gives, it seems to be an improvement over the -1A. And underwing loadout weight and volume reduction is something always considered as an improvement ;).

An off-topic side note: Interesting thing that the ACSWS-1D was drawn with ordnance suspension lugs instead of a rail. So, no rail-launching capability for an A-A missile. Understandable for the Air launched cruise missile but intriguing for the -1D (better exercise extreme caution and check for enough altitude before launch on atmospheric operations, this one won't fly forward upon hitting the trigger, it will fall down and may hit the deck right below you... :) ).

Edited by ivorysniper

After much self debating, I decided to take over my finished ACSWS-1D model and to make the nose removable so it can be displayed with the 4 HMMs stored inside.

My idea is to have the ACSWS-1D displayed with small HMMs launching from their chambers just like what I made for the TMM. Additionally it can also be used as a "reloading" display.

sMWF_dio.jpg.2fee2a6414ba292ea7804897a65b5a75.jpg

001_ACSWS-1D.jpg

002_ACSWS-1D.jpg

003_ACSWS-1D.jpg

004_ACSWS-1D.jpg

005_ACSWS-1D.jpg

006_ACSWS-1D.jpg

007_ACSWS-1D.jpg

On 3/1/2018 at 9:46 AM, Xigfrid said:

After much self debating, I decided to take over my finished ACSWS-1D model and to make the nose removable so it can be displayed with the 4 HMMs stored inside.

My idea is to have the ACSWS-1D displayed with small HMMs launching from their chambers just like what I made for the TMM. Additionally it can also be used as a "reloading" display.

001_ACSWS-1D.jpg

Looking awesome, @Xigfrid

Just received a few things amongst others these “Arcadia” single pylons. Working already great! I need to review a little the central pin larger then it would be perfect. 

Since the newer missiles were being painted, the old PaCSWS have been loaded.

08A6CA55-C20B-40D9-A70C-F15B598AEEF2.jpeg

F484D504-0898-41C0-BE68-AC981C2F534A.jpeg

57E7250F-FBFE-4145-9CDF-B74F8F373210.jpeg

F364D4E4-0D31-44D0-A4D6-ACA72A777677.jpeg

4 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Just received a few things amongst others these “Arcadia” single pylons. Working already great! I need to review a little the central pin larger then it would be perfect. 

Since the newer missiles were being painted, the old PaCSWS have been loaded.

F364D4E4-0D31-44D0-A4D6-ACA72A777677.jpeg

@Xigfrid , is this the WSF material ?. If so, these printouts look pretty neat !. 

6 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Thanks, and the print material was WSF Polished, generally I am not a huge fan of the polished option but in this case it was an impressive improvement. 

Definitely !. I was very impressed with the sharpness of the panel lines on those missiles !.  Can't wait to see them already painted. I only work on Hase's 1/72s, and a sharp panel-lining is critical for the details to be properly seen due to the small scale size (never got into 1/48s due to space constraints).

Quick question: Based on your experience, is it worth to have the WSF polished instead of the raw one, money-wise (cost difference vs. costs associated to polishing by oneself and risks of breaking the part being reworked) ?. 

... and a last one:  What CAD software do you use ?. I'm starting to play with Sketchup due to its well-marketed simplicity and my lack of free time, but not sure if it is well-suited for 1/72-scale 3D printing.

Edited by ivorysniper

Well if you make display models only, the best material for you is FUD: a bit more expensive than WSF Polished but, you barely need to sand it and the material can hold very small details as small as 0.1mm-0.2mm.

I generally design for 1/60 scale and it means that's a toy and you need to play with it: yeah! FUD will be too fragile to allow the missile to be plug in and out of the pylon, that's why I print them in WSF. The polishing process from Shapeways is rough on the part and that's why you can have breakage on small details, but because I design panel lines to sustain 2-3 layers of prime and sanding, the polishing process won't "erase them".  It costs only 1 USD to have your model polished, to me it can be worth on models that cost at least 10 USD and that you don't mind having < 1mm diameter polished edges.

I use only Sketchup but I wish I had more time to learn a 3D parametric software. Sketchup makes it so hard to re-cycle/enhance previous model, this is more like you have to make the work twice than making a simple upgrade. You can work directly to the 1:72 scale with Sketchup, but if you don't feel confortable, just work at 10x the scale (10:72) and export it at 1/10th the size for the printer.

Thanks a lot for the insight, @Xigfrid. FUD will be the way to go then. The same case over here, time is a high-priced commodity for me these days, so Sketchup will have to suffice. Good hint on up-scaling the model for ease of use and then exporting it at a fraction of the size. It will make my life easier. Thanks again !.

8 hours ago, Mommar said:

I really wish I had the time to prep these things.

You should give it a try. I never sanded any pylons, the white ones are small and half hidden under the wings anyway.

The AMM look like a nightmare to prepare, but a few of the bigger ones are really easy to prepare and sand.

For instance, I ordered in WSF Polished the TMM missiles and after 2 primer layers and 1 quick sand, they are good to display, that's the same for the ACSWS-1D (1A also I guess). You can sand by hand or using dremel tool EZ413 (240 grit disc) for sharp and quick results.
The PaCSWS are a bit more curved but rather easy and fast to sand with the Dremel tool 472S

Most of the time spent btw is the long 24H wait to let the last primer layer to cure and to be able to sand it.

On 3/16/2018 at 2:58 AM, Xigfrid said:

You should give it a try. I never sanded any pylons, the white ones are small and half hidden under the wings anyway.

The AMM look like a nightmare to prepare, but a few of the bigger ones are really easy to prepare and sand.

For instance, I ordered in WSF Polished the TMM missiles and after 2 primer layers and 1 quick sand, they are good to display, that's the same for the ACSWS-1D (1A also I guess). You can sand by hand or using dremel tool EZ413 (240 grit disc) for sharp and quick results.
The PaCSWS are a bit more curved but rather easy and fast to sand with the Dremel tool 472S

Most of the time spent btw is the long 24H wait to let the last primer layer to cure and to be able to sand it.

No, I literally do not have the time.  I'm lucky if I get 45 minutes to have dinner, take a shower, etc... before bed time seven days a week.

• 1 month later...

I finally ordered a pile of these things,  no idea when I’ll have time to prepare or paint them though.  The 31A’s finally convinced me to have them around.  Though I do wish there were AMM-112SQ’s available too as I like the look ofnthe shorter ones on the outer pylons.

I have no idea what I’ll do once I get them.  I really have no time to spend and my buddy is a fantastic miniatures painter but he’s never prepped or sanded anything like this before.

Despite your dislike for the missiles I really appreciate the fact you're willing to put them up.  I need to figure out how to design stuff like you do anyway.  One, so I don't have to ask somebody else to do it, two, because I know have a few ideas for my own.

Edited by Mommar

On 25/04/2018 at 12:10 AM, Mommar said:

I have no idea what I’ll do once I get them.  I really have no time to spend and my buddy is a fantastic miniatures painter but he’s never prepped or sanded anything like this before.

Despite your dislike for the missiles I really appreciate the fact you're willing to put them up.  I need to figure out how to design stuff like you do anyway.  One, so I don't have to ask somebody else to do it, two, because I know have a few ideas for my own.

Hey Mommar, I am sure your buddy would love to sand these, this is really an easy task, it just takes a lot of time between drying phases.

Here are the AMM-112SQ! They are slightly thicker than described in the Master File because I wanted them to match my previously made TMM-201. They should be a ton easier to prepare than the AMM-101 and they can be displayed on dual pylons too!

Hey, our community never have enough 3D modelers, go on :)

01C01_AMM_112SQ.jpg

01C02_AMM_112SQ.jpg