3D Model Request - Missile/Ordnance for DX toys

chyll2

41 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Should I sand on the sprites, or off? And do you have a preferred technique to do that quickly on 18 missiles?

I'd lift them off. Once you cut from the frame, the material still carries the spongy characteristics with it. If you don't cut them, you will end up with a tiny section that has a different feel to it. Just my suggestion, but do all you can while it's on it, then cut it off, and then while the main body is all ready to go, coat the parts you cut. You can always sand the part to where it's supposed to be, so don't worry too much about that.

• 1 month later...

Just had a thought. Could a piece be engineered that could be placed on top of a 31 Siegfried’s leg drone launchers to give the appearance of missiles like in the 31A Kairos?

Hi Sildani, 

If you don't glue the FUD tips of the missile you can still wipe the paint and add a bit of sanding, that's the way to do with WSF!

About the missiles in the legs drones compartment, I think it would be easier to wait until the release of the 31A and just copy its part if it fits the Delta platoon Vf-31s. At least it should. 

Looks like these are coming along nicely, Sildani.  Don't worry too much about the grainy texture.  This is just what Shapeways WSF looks like.  It's a very tough material too, so don't think so much about removing the 'bumps' in the plastic, as much as trying to remove the paint from the 'valleys' instead.  You'll of course remove the tops of the bumps too but the real goal here is to fill in the low parts with the paint.

It's definitely a tedious process though and nobody should expect these printed things to arrive completely smooth and perfect after ordering.  We're just not quite there yet with the technology.

Just now, Sildani said:

Just looked and it seems they’re not available in Extreme, only Ultra. 

That's actually something that the creator can set I think, so Xigfrid could probably make them available in Extreme.

Ultra gives a pretty good finish to begin with, but Extreme actually feels smooth to the touch, shouldn't even need sanding.

Sorry, I should have added that I know nothing beyond WSF as that's all I've ever been able to justify in terms of cost.  But @Sanity is Optional your recent results with the frosted material prove that spending more, definitely gets you some amazing results.  I can't justify the cost (still) but once you factor in the time it takes to prime, sand, repeat, it's actually not so bad.

• 1 month later...

1) Clean the excess of printing powder first, test that the parts can be assembled.

2) Dip the part in Future a few seconds, the let it dry 24h, that will seal the 3D material and prevent it to soak too much primer on the first layer

After these first steps, you can:

2) apply diluted future, will dry in minutes

3) apply prime, let dry overnight (primer really needs 24h to be hard underneath)

4) sand

repeat 2 to 4 times to taste before painting. To me, you can do this 2 times only if you plan to apply thick hot-coats of paint

@Xigfrid, since this topic (along with the one about the ordnance pods) has become a hot subject thanks to your awesome 3D modelling/printing work, I just wanted to bring more "plates to the table for an eventual feast", all taken from VFMF VF-31:

Capture7.JPG.36d689357938da4f11d347fe33ae9148.JPG

ACSWS-1A and -1D: Air-to-Air Stealth Cruise missiles with the capability to even the odds for an older gen VF to take on the latest VFs.

Capture9.JPG.9b449703fc6c823662dcf21220845cbd.JPGCapture8.JPG.0cb88d414911363d9d92bb1f7bd26c2c.JPG

At this point you're probably being swarmed with requests and open projects. But just wanted to bring these interesting items to your attention.  :)

Edited by ivorysniper

@ivorysniper thanks for the pictures and taking the time to share these missiles. 

I don't really like these ACSWS 1D and 1A, they should be pretty easy to make though, i could try them someday. 

Asm-91 looks just like the "HMM" from the YF-19 armament, which are already available in my shop in 1:60 and 1:72 scales. Perhaps I should revise a bit my design to make them more streamline. 

MPBMS aren't they already available through the Vf-171 armor parts?

3 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

@ivorysniper thanks for the pictures and taking the time to share these missiles. 

I don't really like these ACSWS 1D and 1A, they should be pretty easy to make though, i could try them someday. 

Asm-91 looks just like the "HMM" from the YF-19 armament, which are already available in my shop in 1:60 and 1:72 scales. Perhaps I should revise a bit my design to make them more streamline. 

MPBMS aren't they already available through the Vf-171 armor parts?

Any time !. I might give 3D modelling a go with my very limited skills on SketchUp, but I confess it might take me eons to have a solid contestant... probably longer due to my new D.O.D.D. (Dad On Diaper Duty) after-hours part-time job.   :lol:

I'm not too fond of the ACSWS-1A either but the -1D gathers more attention, probably after Google-translating its description. The VF-171 rocket pod you mention is actually the Sentinal FXA-60A High-Speed Armor-Piercing Rocket Pod. But this last one looks some sort of weird to me: a big pod with only 6 tubes. This Messiah's MPBMS looks a little bit more realistic, just a personal preference.

Anyway, I'll keep on bringing candidates from time to time, just as friendly reminders. ;) 

Keep on bringing those awesome projects !!

Edited by ivorysniper

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking for references on the ACSWS-1D type and found this picture related to the Wonderfest 2018. Apparently this is a printed resin kit that was sold during the Wonderfest show on "Excelsus" stand. 1/72 scale including Reaction Missiles, AMM-112SQ and two ACSWS-1A.

I think that on this version the mounting points are too much forward for both AMM-112SQ and ACSWS-1A pylons. I guess any designer would have its own interpretation of the missiles.

missiles1_72_WF2018.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid