3D Model Request - Missile/Ordnance for DX toys

chyll2

Hi Everyone

As everyone knew, the newer DX toys are coming out with a hardpoint already as part of the design. This lead to the inreased price of the Armor Parts of the VF-171 (while the General machine is preferred since it comes with a pair of Reaction missile and a pair of Fold weapon missile). I do feel that the missile in the armor part looks out of place since these are the same design used in Macross Zero.

From my observation, there has been a lot of request and there has been speculation that Bandai "might" release a add-on pack. Unfortunately, years have gone and we never really got one. I have been talking to @Xigfrid lately on having to release AMM-101 (similar design in the Hasegawa 25 kit) release a model for shapeway. I think he is almost done with the modeling of the Missile but still have yet to work on the weapon pylon part.

This thread will be used to discuss on the improvement on the 3D file Xigrid is requesting for further revisions on how it will be easier to complete the model and maybe further missile request.

I am attaching the photo's shared by @jvmacross as reference.

large.20170322_205632.jpg.509aa696ea2524

large.20170322_205650.jpg.bd27199477901e

large.20170322_205700.jpg.08f55b618ba16e

I have enjoyed every issue, so as long as they keep releasing them...I'll keep buying them! ^_^

large.20170322_205438.jpg.638545d2b8832a

large.20170322_205448.jpg.5fcd29aa6ae5f9

Spoiler

Edited by chyll2

We can discuss about size, but I think thanks to the VF-25 Master File we already have a precise idea of the missiles sizes.

Concerning the AMM-101, they are supposed to be a little longer than 3 meters, in 1:60 scale this is a little longer than 5 cm. Which translate into a 4mm diameter for the AMM-101. This is really the smallest if you want some strength and room to make attachments.

1) When discussing with chyll2, we decided to go with the cheapest way, but still having the option to have the camera and clear tip in the design. The pack of 18 missiles would be around 20 USD when printed in WSF and FUD for the clear tips.

2) I also included at the rear of the missile inside the thrust a 0.7mm x 4mm hole so you can insret a steel wire to make a flying missile for a dioramas.

AMM101_01.jpg

AMM101_02.jpg

Those are some expensive missiles, USD20 for 18... not to mention shipping. I'm glad Xigfrid is working on this though, could pick up a set if it turns out nice.

The spelling nazi in me is crying at the thread title though...Ordnance not Ordinance :D

Edited by barurutor

6 hours ago, chyll2 said:

more reference file, the PACSWS-1G Design is indeed the looker among the set.

large.variable_fighter_master_file_vf_25

Are these the ones? He custom made his with sculpting epoxy I think.

CkhEFXWUkAE4RcE.jpg

In for whatever you make, Xigfrid. Chyll, you read my mind! I just PM'd Xig about this very thing a couple days ago!

3 hours ago, mickyg said:

That is a fantastic scheme!  Would love to know how he mounted the missiles on those DX wings though.

Magnets and rods. Drilled a couple of holes in that area for a small magnet and guides for the rods then added magnets and rods to the missile.

CYMpIviVAAA3ESj.jpg

I found a good idea to make the station#4 pylons without ruining the DX paint. But because it needs 1,5 to 2mm thickness to hold tight, I don't think this solution is suitable for the wings. Also the rotating wings on the 25s is troublesome. I guess this is the main reason why the 171 had the attachments but not the 25.

BTW, the PACSWS-1G are still hot on tracks! 

Edited by Xigfrid

I should dig out the old pylon models I made for flight simming years back.  I built up a few racks based on F/A-18 pylons that'd work with the YF-19's wings.

On the subject of the YF-19 though, I'd personally love some Bandai adapters for the Arcadia YF-19 missiles. :)  Though, to be honest, I almost think the existing pylons would fit, if the center post hole on the Bandai valks was drilled out a little.

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

On the subject of the YF-19 though, I'd personally love some Bandai adapters for the Arcadia YF-19 missiles. :)  Though, to be honest, I almost think the existing pylons would fit, if the center post hole on the Bandai valks was drilled out a little.

You should check Xigfrid Profile. He is cooking something related to your wish list.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some hope for the VF-25, pylon attachment Station 4 on the VF-25.

Once assembled, the pylon can holds the VF-25 weight! The pylon can be removed and there would be  2x 1mm diameter holes, nearly invisible.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

Edited by Xigfrid

Here are the project list:

1) Kit for 18x AMM-101 on shapeways. 2 versions will be available, one with the clear tip, the other one cheaper without it.

2) DX pylon for the Reactive Missiles (the ones that come with the 25 Armor Packs)

3) DX pylon with flat section to glue anything that looks like a 1:60 missile or a Water Closet! (Thx NZEOD for this one)

4) Making available DX pylon for the Arcadia HMM (that come with Arcadia YF-19)

5) Making the DX pylon and HMM (better scale, they will be slightly larger than Arcadia's ones)

6) making the VHMM ( PACSWS-1G )

Any idea, I can examine it?

2 things I can think of:

Generic female UN Spacy pilot that can fit into DX cockpits as the pilot or backseater. 

A closed up VF-25 gunpod that can be mounted on your new Station 4 pylons, to replicate the Master File's loadout of 3 fun pods. 

Nice stuff so far, Xigfrid!!

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

Generic female UN Spacy pilot that can fit into DX cockpits as the pilot or backseater. 

A closed up VF-25 gunpod that can be mounted on your new Station 4 pylons, to replicate the Master File's loadout of 3 fun pods. 

Nice stuff so far, Xigfrid!!

Female pilot: I don't how to make that with sketchup ?

I just tested, this is very tight there bu tfeasible

That's fine. It was just an idea. I could send you my Grace O'Connor pilot to scan and then modify but I don't know if that would actually help. 

Well you can try one of these 1:72 pilot kits, or preiser/Noch painted figures, by just adding the helmet with some putty. you will obtain a better result.

The only good printer at shapeways for this kind of figure would be FUD or Black Acrylate HD with sprues, that means 10$ a pilot or printing a batch of 10/20 units and reselling these individually. 

I don't know if EXO still make 1:72 figures, but he could help you find the pilot if you want to PM him

Anyone want to do a replacement VF-27 quantum beam gun? I warped mine terribly trying to fix a bit of a lean in hot water. Further attempts at fixing it resulted in some pretty terrible disfigurement. 

We could potentially fix some of the size issues while we're at it. I've always thought it a bit big. Not just in fighter mode but battroid too. 

Making a replacement is possible but it would be a PITA to sand it down for glossy paint. And being pretty large, it would cost approx 45-50$ at shapeways. At this price point I think I would have gone with te other solution which is to buy another 27 and sell the one missing the gun.   

Very good insight.  I was thinking it could be done in multiple parts to better deal with the sanding issues (the pink parts could be moulded to fit into the inside surface of the beam parts.

But yes, if it's going to be that sort of money, there's not much point.  Even if I could just get the front parts done (the handle and body of the gun is OK) it'd still likely cost more than it's worth...

36 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Very good insight.  I was thinking it could be done in multiple parts to better deal with the sanding issues (the pink parts could be moulded to fit into the inside surface of the beam parts.

But yes, if it's going to be that sort of money, there's not much point.  Even if I could just get the front parts done (the handle and body of the gun is OK) it'd still likely cost more than it's worth...

Send me in PM a few pictures of your gun and what needs a replacement, if there is just a few parts it can be worth it. 

I made a new shop category for these DX missiles and pylons adapters: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/xigfrid3dshop?section=Missiles+and+Pylons+DX+compatible&s=0

Up to purchase:

-set of 18x AMM 101 missiles (2 versions with or without clear tips)

-set of single and dual pylons for the 18x AMM 101

-set of pylons for custom HMMs

-set of 4x HMMs for these DX pylons

-set of 4x pylons that can attach the Reactive Missiles from the VF-25 armor packs (Alto or Ozma)

-set of 2x dual pylons for the VF-25 Armor pack Reactive Missiles (would look like the VF-31J in Audio Armor Pack with reactive missiles on the forearms)

-set of 4x pylons for station4 on VF-25

-set of 4x single missile pylons for DX (VF 30, 31 and 171)

-set of 4x flat section pylons for general use for VF 30, 31 and 171.

On my todo list:

-VHMMs which would be compatible with all the single missile DX pylons (including station4)

-?? Sort of triangular missiles as per the cover of "Variable Fighter Master File VF-31"

-DX adapter for the Arcadia YF-19 HMMs