1/60s: Magnets for attaching armor

w8kbrder

So I own the Yamato VF-11b. Why on earth did they (Yamato/Arcadia) not use magnets to hold armor/super packs on with other models? This works flawlessly and does not fall off! And so freakin easy for assembly/disassembly! Why would Arcadia not use this method currently?

In my opinion, this should be a given. Like someone trying to use a square wheel when we have a proven round one. :) I'm sure this has been discussed in the past. I don't get to spend too much time on here as I do love collecting some of these but not all. I have too many other hobbies to dedicate all my time to one (80s skateboards, vintage 4x4s, etc) :lol:

So are there other Yamato or Arcadia models that make use of magnets or no?

Edited by w8kbrder

1 hour ago, w8kbrder said:

That almost makes me want to buy a Yamato over the Arcadia

True. But right now, Arcadia VF-0's is far more superior in-spite of some reported broken VF-0A's thigh/legs. But the VF-0S? IMHO, Arcadia nailed it this time with or without magnets. Just sayin'. ^_^ 

I'd say they were just OK. Aesthetically they were the best as it didn't impact the appearance of the valk when they weren't on. They were also easy to apply. You didn't have to worry about getting them lined up with slots and tabs, the magnets would take care of that for you.

They weren't without their faults though. Easy on also meant easy off. Sure, they would stay attached once in position but any time I would move move a leg there's a good chance it would come off. They also aren't the best for 'swooshing'. I tend to grip with a thumb on the side of one leg and the other fingers on the side of the other leg. This can cause the armor parts to easily slide off and since your hand isn't actually gripping the valk in any way (only the armor parts) there was a good risk of dropping it.

There was also the issue of people not getting the magnets correctly applied from the factory which would cause them to repel instead of attract.

Due to all of that (and probably other reasons I'm not thinking of) I can understand why they went to the more secure and less QC issue prone option that doesn't look quite as good.

28 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Ah! But don't say that to Arcadia. They will charge you more. ^_^

Lol, anything to make a buck (or a hundred)!

Another thing I wish would be done is using magnets to complete circuits. Best example I can think of is Pilders in Mazinger's head. Pilder in, connected with magnet and eyes light up, take pilder out, eyes off. Would still need an override switch but still be a really cool feature.

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

Lol, anything to make a buck (or a hundred)!

Another thing I wish would be done is using magnets to complete circuits. Best example I can think of is Pilders in Mazinger's head. Pilder in, connected with magnet and eyes light up, take pilder out, eyes off. Would still need an override switch but still be a really cool feature.

Wow! So you really wanted to pay more? :lol: